21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2010 5:38 PM by GoldonArRow RSS

Uh oh...trouble in CoD (Title Change)

iidarkshadowoo
Okay, so most of us knows there is a lot of confusion going on with the Call of Duty franchise, Activision, and Infinity Ward.

If you don't I'll basically summarize the article I posted.
*In March, G4TV broke the news that some unusual goings on were happening at Infinity Ward, stating that some “Bouncer-types” had taken over the building and the two studio heads [Vince Zampella & Jason West] had not been seen after attending a meeting with Activision.
*Later that day it was confirmed that the two heads had been dismissed for “Insubordination”.
*On the 3rd of March Zampella & West filed a lawsuit for “$36 Million in unpaid royalties” and for creative authority over “any Call of Duty game set in the post-Vietnam era, the near future or the distant future” and any title branded by the Modern Warfare IP.
*Since these gentlemen must have presented a copy or substantial proof of the binding contract in order to initiate the lawsuit, this is certainly the real deal.
*Activison won’t be releasing the planned Spring DLC unless Zampella & West give the company written permission to do so, unless it’s proved to a court of law that the contract giving the pair Creative Direction over the franchise is found to be void.
one of the key community facing employees [Robert Bowling] is rumoured to have left the company.

http://www.dailyinformer.net/2010/03/06/infinity-ward-scandal-dlc-most-definitely-under-conflict-product-quality-to-suffer/[/code:1lfqm1zp]

I looked into this, did some researching, and this is what I realized.
Robert Bowling is big on tweeting. He tweets a few times everyday.
On Februdary 25 he stated "Lots of #MW2 DLC related meetings today, which is a good thing. Means we're oh so close to nailing down a date and locking down details!!"
On March1 he stated "I should also say, while I appreciate all the calls, tweets, messages and hearing my ringtone a lot. They're in vain - as I have no info. "
However, SINCE MARCH 1st, he hasn't posted ANYTHING...strange?

So this is what I have to ask you MatTks, administrators, developers, or other moderators...is this true?
(Okay, I'll be realistic, obviously you would have to be 'quiet' about some this. I'll ask something else that's less general.)
Please just answer any questions you can-
^Were Vince Zampella & Jason West actually 'let go'?
^Does this contract they speak of actually exist?
^Will the MW2 DLC really be on hold?
^What major affect will it have on Treyarch and their new game?
^Was this the reason as to why IW will no longer make games for their franchise but Sledgehammer instead?

If you are actually interested in this, then we shall now go in depth. This is the most interesting part too.
What We Know
- The Activision SEC filing is legit, and is concrete information. They are serious allegations, and will probably result in a major lawsuit.

- Jason West no longer works at Infinity Ward. His Linkedin profile page is legitimate, and clearly states that he ceased employment at the studio in March 2010. We just don't know why/how he no longer works there.

That's it. Be sure to separate the two when considering the situation, as things are still incredibly murky. We will of course update you (and this post) throughout the day as we hear more on the situation.

Update 4: It's all over but the shouting, it seems. Activision just laid out their plans for the Call of Duty series, which includes a business unit and a new studio.

Update 3: We take a look at the tension between Activision and Infinity Ward that may have lead to today's turmoil. Hint: It involves the direction of Call of Duty.

Update 2: G4 reports about 1 p.m. MT that Bobby Kotick is scheduled to meet with Infinity Ward "momentarily". Officially, Activision still hasn't responded to multiple requests for comment.

Update 1: CEO and studio head Vince Zampella's Linked In account updated about 9 a.m. Mountain time this morning. The profile now shows his job at Infinity Ward as previous employment. Under experience Zampella lists his job ending at Infinity Ward this month, after 8 years and three months with the company. His current job and title are listed as TBD.

Cited from here- [code:1lfqm1zp]http://kotaku.com/5483492/scandal-hits-call-of-duty-devs-what-we-know-%5Bupdate%5D

• Re: MatTks or another Mod, can you enlighten us [me] on this?
    214_Firestorm
    Moderators here are community members not employees,
    They will be just as "in the dark" about this as all the rest of us.

This however;
    The Activision SEC filing is legit, and is concrete information. They are serious allegations, and will probably result in a major lawsuit.

SEC is Securities and Exchange Commission, it has to do with investors (stock) in companies, nothing more.
    These filings would contain no allegation's about anything other than company assets,
    Which IW is one of those assets.
    As well as the COD franchise and anything/everything else that IW happened/happens to be working on.
    In other words, any intellicial property IW posses is owned by Activision that would include "Modern Warfare"
    MaTtKs

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

Please just answer any questions you can-
    ^Were Vince Zampella & Jason West actually 'let go'?
    ^Does this contract they speak of actually exist?
    ^Will the MW2 DLC really be on hold?
    ^What major affect will it have on Treyarch and their new game?
    ^Was this the reason as to why IW will no longer make games for their franchise but Sledgehammer instead?

1) Yes.

2) Yes...if you're referring to the MOU.

3) Most likely not.

4) No effect that I'm aware of.

5) IW hasn't officially been cut from the CoD franchise, but as of now, they're only guaranteed to provide the 2 aforementioned map packs for MW2.

I'll also say that my knowledge of the situation comes from my love of the franchise, not from my involvement.

majorrodriguez
    Well... that sucks, now doesn't it.
    DanielWW2
    I wonder how this happened.
    There were always tensions between IW and Activision about what CoD games should be like. I somehow get the feeling that this is some sort of payback from Activision because IW always does what they want to do and now MW2 isn't what it intended to be so maybe Activision has had it with IW leadership and let them go.

I guess that 402 either doesn't want to talk about it on twitter or that he can't about it because of Activision.
    Edit: I missed something. If he left that would explain why there are no updates from him.

It looks like Vince Zampella & Jason West are now blacknailing Activision with there lawsuit because the people that still love MW2 despite of all the glitches and other "problems" aren't going to be happy if the DLC is prospowned with will cost Activision a lot of money and make IW fans not happy at all.

Edit: I wonder if this could mean that CoD would go back to WW2 again since Vince Zampella & Jason West seem to have the rights for post Vietnam CoD games. Treyarch has the rights (I presume) for Vietnam and Korea but I wonder how many good games you can make from that time period. It could be interesting but for how long?
    GoldonArRow
    Hmm, interesting...

We'll just have to see how this plans out.
    daHawk
    some people say its a publicity stunt, definitely not.
  • Re: Uh oh...trouble in CoD (Title Change)
    Trinity30!
    Uhh, Stupid people...I guess they're going with the motto: "A captain always go down with his ship"

Otherwise, they wouldn't be trying to have rights on all post vietnam type games...:mad:

I hope the new developer is good, otherwise, the COD franchise will die.

We're doomed if Infinity Ward gets kicked out. Treyarch needs to learn how to make a game. This next game best have custom killstreaks or they truelly fail.
    Byzantine Bomb
    Interesting. Now the Turks and I will be doing more bussiness than ever.
    Xtreme2494
    Regarding Fourzerotwo's twitter: Maybe... Just maybe... He has a life. It's not his job to be on twitter all the time.
    iidarkshadowoo

Xtreme2494 wrote:

Regarding Fourzerotwo's twitter: Maybe... Just maybe... He has a life. It's not his job to be on twitter all the time.

Well, he tweets all the time and then suddenly stops? It makes sense to maybe not post for a few days or just tweet once a day, but for a guy like him that posted almost several times a day to stop suddenly, and after the notorious March 1st? It's just strange, and you can easily have a life to tweet just one sentence. It's not hard...
    Xtreme2494
    Perhaps he's on vacation? I know over Christmas he did not tweet for about 2 weeks.
    iidarkshadowoo

Xtreme2494 wrote:

Perhaps he's on vacation? I know over Christmas he did not tweet for about 2 weeks.

Well Robert Bowling wasn't my main concern, and whether he is there or not won't make much of a difference, it's the other stuff that are important.
    jedimastershark
    I think in my opinion that this scandal may have done some major damage to MW2 and subsequent COD titles however only time will tell. I would keep a close eye on that court case...
    BTY here's some more info;

• Activision Had Infinity Ward Staff In Tears
    • According to the details of Jason West and Vince Zampella's lawsuit against Activision, which was filed on Wednesday, the two departed Infinity Ward studio heads were "interrogated" in a "windowless conference room" for six hours as part of a recent Activision investigation.
    • The lawsuit claims that the investigation began in February of this year and was conducted by Activision's Chief Human Resources Officer, Ann Weiser, and the publisher's Chief Public Policy Officer, George Rose.
    • According to West and Zampella, "Activision investigators brought other Infinity Ward employees to tears," during the proceedings before threatening the then studio heads with charges of "insubordination" for consoling them.
    • At this stage, precisely why the investigation took place is unknown, although West and Zampella's lawsuit states that the investigators claimed to be looking into "breaches of contract" and "violations" of company policy at Infinity Ward.
    • The investigators are also alleged to have stated that West and Zampella, "should have a clear understanding of what they have or have not done," when the pair asked for more information on the nature of the proceedings.
    • G4 claims to have obtained an internal Activision legal memo calling for any documents within the company, "regarding West and Zampella's communications with Activision's competitors, including but not limited to Electronic Arts".
    • Rumour and speculation has previously indicated that West and Zampella may have been courting third-parties prior to their dismissal by Activision. On a more official note though, Activision has released the following statement on the matter to a number of press outlets:
    • "Activision is disappointed that Mr. Zampella and Mr. West have chosen to file a lawsuit, and believes their claims are meritless. Over eight years, Activision shareholders provided these executives with the capital they needed to start Infinity Ward, as well as the financial support, resources and creative independence that helped them flourish and achieve enormous professional success and personal wealth.
    • "In return, Activision legitimately expected them to honour their obligations to Activision, just like any other executives who hold positions of trust in the company. While the company showed enormous patience, it firmly believes that its decision was justified based on their course of conduct and actions. Activision remains committed to the Call of Duty franchise, which it owns, and will continue to produce exciting and innovative games for its millions of fans."
    • More as we get it...
    • http://www.totalvideogames.com/Modern-Warfare-2/news/Activision-Had-Infinity-Ward-Staff-In-Tears-15039.html

Another BTY- Sorry for blowing up on you (ii darkshadow oO) the other night, there were some things that happened that day that already had me upset with some stuff. (I can't be specific)
    reaper2792
    ehh, just wait patiently. There are plenty of other great games out for the time being. Who cares who gets the next one, they all make there mistakes no matter what.
    iidarkshadowoo
    If there is one company and game I can trust to always bring quality and fun, it's Bungie and Halo. Can't wait for Reach.
    reaper2792

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

If there is one company and game I can trust to always bring quality and fun, it's Bungie and Halo. Can't wait for Reach.

i couldnt agree more. I love single player Halo. I wont touch MP though, too many kiddies. Right now im totally addicted to Bioshock 2 though, great game
    iidarkshadowoo

reaper2792 wrote:

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

i couldnt agree more. I love single player Halo. I wont touch MP though, too many kiddies. Right now im totally addicted to Bioshock 2 though, great game

Definitely, although I don't have it, I played it a few times, it's great.
    GuitarTwanger

Mama  Luigi wrote:

We're doomed if Infinity Ward gets kicked out. Treyarch needs to learn how to make a game. This next game best have custom killstreaks or they truelly fail.

Custom Killstreaks is the reason MW2   SUCKS.

Oops, I said the "s" word.
    GoldonArRow
    Meh, WaW was amazing (Except for MP40's) and I trust Treyarch.

They'll make a good game, they also make better online forums.