23 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2012 6:41 AM by a643 RSS

Frag VS Semtex

VitalSyntax
In MW2 the two options for throwable self-detonating explosive equipments where Frag and Semtex. Did you think that Semtex was overpowered/*** was underpowered? Which one did you use?

Personally I thought that Semtex as better than Frag and that Frag was a tad under powered. Semtex did more damage (same as C4) and it detonated in a shorter time. I would say about 75% of seasoned MW2 players stuck with Semtex. I'm hoping that Trayarch balances these two equipments in BO.
  • Re: Frag VS Semtex
    PuBsTaR v3
    They are balanced, A frag & a Semtex are 2 different things.

A frag is an explosive that fire's out shrapnel and sometimes ball bearings ( If that's how they are spelled )

I don't know too much about Semtex but i would say they could have a timer set to the explosion time and it is a different explosion all together because it is a different nade.

Conclusion: Balanced imo.
    VitalSyntax

PuBsTaR v3 wrote:

A frag is an explosive that fire's out shrapnel and sometimes ball bearings ( If that's how they are spelled )

I don't know too much about Semtex but i would say they could have a timer set to the explosion time and it is a different explosion all together because it is a different nade.

Yeah I know they "are 2 different things", and Semtex (FYI) is C4 rigged with an timer and adhesive. Which one do you use?
    PuBsTaR v3

VitalSyntax wrote:

PuBsTaR v3 wrote:

Yeah I know they "are 2 different things", and Semtex (FYI) is C4 rigged with an timer and adhesive. Which one do you use?

I use both because in certain situations i don't want the nade to stick and the Frag can go further length's than a semtex so that is a +1 for the frag.
    wo0dy1
    sigh.. for the nth time semtex and c4 are 2 different things.. they are both plastic explosives correct but they are to completely different compounds ( in reality )

in game you cant see this all you see in game is you throw 1 it beeps 3-4 seconds then goes pop and the other you push the switch and it goes pop..

il always stick with the frag, always have done and depending on what is in BO i think i always will.. you can cook them to reduce the time and you can also throw them into locations where the semtex would explode before it reached the location..

to some its a 'random' nade, but if you play maps enough its not a random nade but a well placed 1 because of the time delay on a frag.
    CV5 Yorktown
    The semtex had a larger blast radius than the frag (look it up if you don't believe me), and you didn't have to cook the semtex. The combination of these two factors made it overpowered and completely outclassed the frag.
    Kaltzor
    I do believe the semtex actually had a slightly weaker explosion than the Frag grenades... if you had blast shield you could with it survive a stuck semtex, not too sure about surviving with it a grenade you're standing on.
    I find myself using frags more than semtex.......I admit that's sort of ironic because in COD:WAW I always used the sticky-grenade.
    Sane Hedrone
    The Semtex was such a joke.

It was a Frag from COD4 (which everybody hated), without the need to cook it, and you can't throw it back.

In MW2 it was absurdly overpowered.

-Greater kill radius than frag
    -Ability to kill painkillers
    -Can be held down as long as wanted
    -Comes "Pre-cooked" with only 2.5 seconds on it
    -can't be thrown back
    -can stick to enemies

There was very few reasons as to why you would want to use a frag grenade.

Hopefully, and I'm really hoping on this one, 3arch won't be complete morons when it comes to balancing weapons.
    iif0xh0undii
    I use both, but it really depends on the environment.

Don't truly see one as overpowered. Sure one might have a larger blast radius, but in the right hands any thrown explosive can be very deadly.
    JunkyJunker

CV5 Yorktown wrote:

The semtex had a larger blast radius than the frag (look it up if you don't believe me), and you didn't have to cook the semtex. The combination of these two factors made it overpowered and completely outclassed the frag.

The blast radius was the same but the damage reduction was different. The semtex has a larger kill radius but they both do damage up to the same distance just not equal damage.
    They were both fine IMHO.
    dtuchpunk
    Frags are better for getting a nade around corners. Personnaly use the semtex the most but on some maps a frag grenade has his advantage.

PuBsTaR v3 wrote:

This!
    jb95105

VitalSyntax wrote:

In MW2 the two options for throwable self-detonating explosive equipments where Frag and Semtex. Did you think that Semtex was overpowered/*** was underpowered? Which one did you use?

Personally I thought that Semtex as better than Frag and that Frag was a tad under powered. Semtex did more damage (same as C4) and it detonated in a shorter time. I would say about 75% of seasoned MW2 players stuck with Semtex. I'm hoping that Trayarch balances these two equipments in BO.

hahahahahhaha i see a pun :P
    I personally like the frag grenade better for two reasons.
    1. Can be thrown farther (distance wise) than the semtex overall.
    2. You can choose when it goes off by cooking it, with the semtex, it takes a while to explode, leaving room for a lucky getaway from the other person.
    I wonder what Martyrdom would be like, if you dropped a Semtex...

Semtex > Frag
    frag all the way because i had alot of trouble with the semtex as in on wastland trying to throw it in to the pit or what evr you like it would stick to the bits of would before you enter the pit and blow not to pieces because there no gore and blood on MW2 as we all know.
    Plastic bullet
    It all depends on the situation for me, such as if I am trying to take out someone long range I would rather use a frag grenade. If I wanted to take out someone who is moderately close to me, I would use a Semtex grenade. IMO the semtex power/blast radius was perfect, and the regular grenades were a little to weak IMO.
    anoreo

Gross1985 wrote:

I find myself using frags more than semtex.......I admit that's sort of ironic because in COD:WAW I always used the sticky-grenade.

Same here man.
    daHawk
    the semtex was my favorite.
    the best was getting a scrotex (tm) - semtex to the scrotum.

ps. **** are underpowered.
    semxtex
    yce teh chease
    semtex has a too big blast radius/kill radius, frag has too low damage + throwing the nade was better in cod4.