18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2010 7:16 AM by MaxRus95 RSS

Are map packs going to be free?

Kartul
Not because World at War had awesome and free map packs and not because we PC gamers should get everything handed on a plate to them. I mean there are ways to ask money for it - through Steam maybe?

But what about modding? I love that there is modding in the game. But with custom maps the map packs can easily be replicated, right?

I mean if the game really is on the PC what it Modern Warfare 2 should've been then I will be glad to support Treyarch buy buying the map packs (unless it's like 3 new maps for 15$ - that price was just overkill).
  • Re: Are map packs going to be free?
    It really depends on how things play out. If Black Ops is a steam game then I would except we would need to pay for the map packs.

It may also depend on whether or not Treyarch/Activison needs a sponsor or two to bring us the free map packs like they did with WaW.

Since we have mod tools and such I'm thinking the map packs will be free, but don't quote me on that. It's still unknown.
    nlionf
    Well I think that unless Black Ops is built into Steam like MW2, to sell DLC they'll have to make physical CDs and sell them at gamestores. I guess it is possible to sell DLC through the internet but it would be much easier to pirate that way.

I really hope Black Ops is independent and does not run on Steam only.

Though if they make DLC free for PC like they did in COD4 and W@W I really think it will boost the games selling post release because the game is constantly just getting better for the same price so people who were skeptical about purchasing it will change their minds. MW2 might have sold more than COD4 but COD4 held a pretty steady selling for a long time.

15$ for 5 maps is a rip-off. If the whole game is worth 60$, look at how long they made the game for and then how long it takes them to design 5 maps...
    JD has apparently confirmed no tie-in with Steam, so unless Treyarch are going to use Game for Window Live to sell it, there is a good chance there wont be any charge for PC DLC.

See my thread here for more details:

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/100265021
    Kartul
    It would definetly boost sales if they would be free. But they would have to say it right before launch. And then again.. they don't really want to give away their DLC plan.
    xXLtStrikeXx
    Guess so.

Kartul wrote:

It would definetly boost sales if they would be free. But they would have to say it right before launch. And then again.. they don't really want to give away their DLC plan.

The target group for DLC isn't PC - it's console. Always has been. They would never make very much money out of the PC group even if most PC players bought them as PC players only make up a very small percentage of those that buy a game (PC makes either 8% or 16% of total sales depending on which source you use to estimate it). So, giving up plans for paid DLC for PC is never going to affect their projected returns for it as it all comes from consoles where it sells in the millions.
    xetal123
    Ehh why would dlc cost bwcause its on steam.
    The games that steam was created for like counter strike and team fortress all hade dedicates servers free maps and modtools.
    So , steam was CREATED for dedicated server games,
    And even if mw2 was nob steam it would have iwnet matchmaking and 15dollar dlc
    Retards
    spider825
    Everything depends on Activision - developer have power and if they will see good sale figures, they will give free DLC's on 90%.
    Profzy
    Not Confirmed Yet. But the chances are bigger that they become free because it's not tied-into Steam.

#PROFZY
    Morous
    i want it to be free ... but they will most likely not be ... but then again i am not sure how many ppl bought the 2 map packs in MW2 maybe it's their way too see if it's viable or not maybe ?
    I hear it going to be free and on Games for windows live
    Dysk0
    if this is really the COD that mw2 should of been i dont see why nvidia wouldnt sponsor DLC again.

but i wouldnt mind paying for DLC or maybe even mod tools, these guys do put a lot of time and effort into their games.
    Diddemz
    What is all this nonsense about "if it is tied in with steam the DLC is going to cost money". Does anyone even know the history of steam games. Valve has a great record of providing developer and free content to there playerbase. Even CS:S received a huge update recently and it was of course free >.>, steam has some issues but free content is one of the things they have done continuously. It was Infinity Ward and Activision deciding that the map packs we're going to cost, not steam >.>

I get the feeling all the people ******** about steam are 30 mil Steam ID's who only used it starting with MW2. I can understand not wanting a 3rd party app for a game but the other accusations of steam are just ill informed and wrong.
    steam is now a choice if you want to play it from there but im still getting the box version. so i think it would be free.
    Kartul

Diddemz wrote:

What is all this nonsense about "if it is tied in with steam the DLC is going to cost money". Does anyone even know the history of steam games. Valve has a great record of providing developer and free content to there playerbase. Even CS:S received a huge update recently and it was of course free >.>, steam has some issues but free content is one of the things they have done continuously. It was Infinity Ward and Activision deciding that the map packs we're going to cost, not steam >.>

I get the feeling all the people ******** about steam are 30 mil Steam ID's who only used it starting with MW2. I can understand not wanting a 3rd party app for a game but the other accusations of steam are just ill informed and wrong.

People don't say that with steam it will cost money because Steam is bad. Atleast I hope people don't, otherwise they are morons. Because you are right, people should just look at what Valve is doing it (but no, these forums are a mess). People are probably say it because if a game is forced to use steam then they have the ability to charge for it. If the game isn't connected to a service then they have no way to ask money for it. Atleast a way than can be easily bypassed.
    ExtremeSwat
    Why ppl say that if the game has "Games for Windows "thing the dlc's will be free?
    Why steam will charge for dlc's? Valve is not the developer of the game.Look at their games:
    -css: recently updated with new content for free
    -tf2- new items/hats , community made items shared for free to users(if crafted/finded)
    -Portal:weekly/monthly updates for bugs.
    -AlienSwarm- free , bonus item for TF2
    -L4d2 - free dlc's for pc users
    All Valve's games are updated weekly with new content/updates for bug glitches.All the content that is added to the games is free.Valve respects it's PC users.
    And if we are going to pay for some map packs, the normal price should be like 5$/5 euros even LOWER not 15 for 2 remakes and 3 new maps as IW did .
    Demon_Seed

Diddemz wrote:

JD has confirmed that Black Ops will not be tied-in with Steam. But if it was, it would have been a clear indication that they were going to charge for DLC. Why else would they tie the game in with Steam? Steam can be used as a market place to buy DLC and have the account tied-in with the purchase, and still use dedicated servers.

This is why people were saying if Black Ops had been tied in with Steam it would indicate they were going to charge for DLC.
    MaxRus95
    It would be nice if map packs will be free...Cuz in MW2 Map pack cost's f***** 14$,it's so stupid...