1 2 3 4 Previous Next 140 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2010 8:52 AM by fsck Go to original post RSS
  • 10. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    CerberusSco
    The rest of the reveal sounded good and half decent. However, I didn't like this and we the PC gamers have been utterly shafted again. Pre-order cancelled. 

Thanks Treyarch, you've just saved me £34 and then saved my clan a fair bit in server rental.
  • 11. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    tost
    thanks for your constructive criticism monk123, your valuable input is much appreciated...

have you taken a look at the servers you are able to rent? the max player cap you can rent is 18, which is also the player cap of mw2 and it has proven not to be enough players.
    most cod4/5 servers are 22/24+ players, which in my opinion is necessary for it to be fun. if you have so few players on a server it just tends to be camping/smg-killstreak exploit which is one of the many reasons mw2 sucked harder than a hooker with a vacuum cleaner.

this news basically means that you have no power whatsoever about the server you "own", you cant even set the numbers of players yourself and without control over it you wont be able to ban certain weapons (noob tube) or hackers.
    this is iwnet without host migration but with the nice addition that you now have to rent them. which means you must pay for the fact that you no longer have peer to peer but with all the other disadvantaged iwnet brought, which is absolutely ridiculous imo.

i guess this was the idea of activision (fu bobby kotick, just fu). it basically deprives the player of  all power, which means this is console-based **** with the pure label "dedicated servers" to trick fanboys like monk123 into believing this is gonna be somewhat like cod4 while it's just as sucky as mw2.

this is a major letdown and for the majority of serious pc gamers this is the deadly blow to the cod series.

i guess now we know what they ment when saying "there will be dedi servers but with the communal advantages of the consoles" R.I.P.
  • 12. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    Fokkers_WillIAm
    Look i'm still openminded and I am willing to pay for a low ping reliable server is have have the answers to the following questions:

If VAC is used will it be globaly streaming?
    Wil i have RCON access?
    Can i Kick/ban cheaters and or trouble makers?
    Can upload an run Custom cfg's?
    What is the difference between ranked and Unranked server?

After modtools are released
    can i upload and run custom maps?
    can i upload and run Mods?
  • 13. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    beetlebailey
    STEAM = FAIL = ORDER CANCELED
    VAC = FAIL = ORDER CANCELED
    SERVERS LIKE BF:BC2 = ORDER CANCELED
  • 14. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    tost
    -i think they said VAC will be the AC device.
    -you cant do something about anything on your server without server file access (including hackers)
    -the diff. between ranked and unranked will be diff. it has been since cod4: ranked means you level up and unlock stuff, unranked means you dont.
  • 16. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    eversonj90
    VAC Anti-Cheat - Won't stream anywhere unless you tell it to and it's steam so only steam streaming sites;
    RCon or something similar I'd imagine;
    I imagine you'd be able to kick/ban;
    Custom config's unknown;
    Ranked is a server which contributes to someones score;
    Unranked is a modified server which doesn't contribute to a ranked score.

Mod Tools unknown until post release.
  • 17. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    eversonj90

OldSnake24 wrote:

There is no offical word on no dedicated servers. And plus Mark Lamia confirmed dedicated servers a while back. He said "It is coming to Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and PC with dedicated servers" not necessarily in that order

Yes there is: http://www.gameservers.com/corporate/article.php?id=1730

Confirmed via MPReveal yesterday.
  • 18. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    The word is right now that they are not releasing the public server files for unranked servers either.

Even if they did, pubs don't play on unranked servers.  So forget it if you want a populated server.

It would be feasible for clans with numerous members since they would populate their own servers.

But their stance is a blow to the pc community that they claimed they would support. 

They are certainly not giving us what we want and need to make this a long living game worth investing for clans.
  • 19. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!

tost wrote:

-i think they said VAC will be the AC device.
    -you cant do something about anything on your server without server file access (including hackers)
    -the diff. between ranked and unranked will be diff. it has been since cod4: ranked means you level up and unlock stuff, unranked means you dont.

COD4 never had "ranked" servers so I don't know where you get that it's been this way since COD4.

As for your description of what unranked means, in both COD4 and WaW, there were mods which allowed you to level up and get unlocks. The only problem with it was you couldn't carry your rank from the stock game over to the mod server, and each mod had it's own rank - that is, mod ranks were not global.
1 2 3 4 Previous Next