1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 140 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2010 8:52 AM by fsck Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    Well Tripwire will certainly be happy with this. They will get a lot more sales when they release their game.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74
  • 31. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    mcmac
    Ok all of you are taking a twitter post and blowing it out of proportion.  Listen to the podcast of Peckler talking to Jock on bashandslah
    http://bashandslash.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3233

For those of you to lazy to go and listen to it this is basicly wat he says

Gameservers has been the only one mentioned by pcdev to be a trusted GSP

Server files will not be made public but will be fully editable through the GSP, probably an online config editor (EDIT: Skip to 6 minutes in the podcast if you want to hear about the server file info)

Unranked servers allow for near complete customization of the server from what guns are allowed to what perks(EDIT:This technically would count as a mod and would require a mod download like in say cod4, but wouldn't require mod tools to do just config customization, hope that clears up the confusion)

PCDev will be working with the GSP closer to launch to finalize the server player count as the GSP will have to stress test with the complete game

PCDev is going to be working with the GSP and VAC to ensure that patches are applied to the game regularly to ensure that hackers are dealt with in a better manner than in MW2.

Modtools will be released very shortly after launch as PCDev wants there to be Competitve Mods out

PCDev is also hoping for there to be a Map Tool released sometime after the games launch
  • 32. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!

VzRz wrote:

If it's anything like MW2 it won't be long until people start hacking their own servers anyway so honestly, I'm not too worried. :S

Totally, totally different things. MW2 could have modded hosts because of the Peer 2 Peer structure of the game. You had no choice not to be matched with a host who ran mods. With Black Ops, however, it wont matter what files the client has, they wont work on a dedicated server with a "pure" check.

As for hacking the dedicated server files with Black Ops, that's an instant ban from the Game Server Provider if you do that, as you will be breaking the terms and conditions. You cannot mess with the root server files on "ranked" servers.
  • 33. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    dramascus
    what did u seriously expect eh
  • 34. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    spidy
    a exclusive deal with a GSP is hardly a dedicated server in my opinion
    for sure they will run as many servers as 1 dedi box will carry

lol and talking about mods custom maps with a redirect on a unranked dedicated exclusive GSP my guess it wont happen
    CoD is creating a big gap, dedicated servers will run by dedicated clans or community's
    soon as you throw away the dedicated clans and community's the GAME is over

no server files =
    No langames
    no mapping :can not shutdown my trusted server for testing
    no modding :can not shutdown my trusted server for testing
    VAC = texture hacking allowed
  • 35. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    nhiverson
    I just wanted dedicated servers with the possibility to play competitive promod or something of the sort and gameservers price does seem somewhat high and 18 player max smh.We also should be able to choose the server provider or some people own there own boxes they can use for servers guess not for this.
  • 36. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    eversonj90
    Not seeing much out of proportion here.

* VAC;
    * Price tag attached to ranked and unranked servers from one GSP;
    * Final player count to be determined but not likely to be much more than 18 (otherwise they wouldn't have said that figure in the first place);
    * Did I mention VAC?;
    * Mod Tools not in at release.

Anyone need more reasons not to buy the game at launch and see what happens?

No game for the community here, just the odd Christmas present player.

People have picked up on the MW2 mistakes and that distrust is just being re-itterated here: PunkBuster and Ranked + Unranked Public Server Files would have easily avoided this.
  • 37. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    I told you guys.
  • 38. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!

mcmac wrote:

Ok all of you are taking a twitter post and blowing it out of proportion.  Listen to the podcast of Peckler talking to Jock on bashandslah
    http://bashandslash.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3233

For those of you to lazy to go and listen to it this is basicly wat he says

Gameservers has been the only one mentioned by pcdev to be a trusted GSP

Server files will not be made public but will be fully editable through the GSP, probably an online config editor

Unranked servers allow for near complete customization of the server from what guns are allowed to what perks

PCDev will be working with the GSP closer to launch to finalize the server player count as the GSP will have to stress test with the complete game

PCDev is going to be working with the GSP and VAC to ensure that patches are applied to the game regularly to ensure that hackers are dealt with in a better manner than in MW2.

Modtools will be released very shortly after launch as PCDev wants there to be Competitve Mods out

PCDev is also hoping for there to be a Map Tool released sometime after the games launch

It's unclear at this stage how much configuration we will be able to make to a "ranked" server. I personally doubt you will be able to turn weapons off or on, as the create-a-class system doesn't easily allow that. If World at War is anything to go by, you can turn perks and killstreaks off or on globally, but not individually. But weapons present a much harder thing to handle. If I pick a class with an MP5 and it's optioned off by the server admin, what weapon do I get in its place? I have to have something to spawn with, so what will I get as a replacment?

As I said, you can turn perks off, as you can spawn without any perks, but your primary weapon is required.
  • 39. Re: Dedi servers? What a crock of s**te!
    nhiverson
    Well mcmac lets hope thats all true but gameservers site says they are the exclusive server provider for Black Ops I hope there is more then just one provider to choose from or maybe they decide to make the files open probably wont happen though.
1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next