9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2010 5:42 AM by maxxxykinsxx RSS

Getting 1 bar connection in a COD4 local game

hksonx
Guys I need some help.
I am constantly getting a 1 bar connection even when I am in a local game. (i.e. an Australian game)
Sometimes I can get into a 3-4 bars local game.
However whenever the host changes, my connection would drop to 1 bar, while everyone else remains 3-4 bars.
I guess it maybe about the port forward or NAT thing but I am not sure.
Could someone give me some advise?
  • Re: Getting 1 bar connection in a COD4 local game
    eXpoze Dionysus
    if your nat settings are set to (closed) then this is why you cannot get good connection because your nat isn't allowing the packets from the CoD servers through fast enough. theres a guide somewere on xbox.com on how to change your nat settings.
    hksonx
    btw I play on XBOX and I dont have this problem when I play MW2.
    Actually this is the first time I experienced this problem.
    RunGunBlackOps
    how fast is your internet? does CoD4 even supports local search?

by the way, NAT has nothing to do with speed, if your NAT is closed then you can only connect to ~50% of all players thats why you get sometimes in a bad game, if your NAT is open you can connect to 99% of all players who are currently online, so you get better chance for a good connection.
    hksonx
    I just checked my NAT. It is open and I have forwarded all ports.
    But I still having that problem.
    hksonx

RunGunBlackOps wrote:

Its pretty fast I can tell.
    COD4 does not support local search, but I am still able to find a local game if I try a few times.
    The bottom line is, even if I manage to get into a local game, I only got 1 bar. (sometimes I got 3-4 bars tho)
    1 bar is actually worse than a US game because I can get 2 bars in a US game most of the time.
    There must be something wrong.
    RunGunBlackOps

hksonx wrote:

RunGunBlackOps wrote:

Its pretty fast I can tell.
    COD4 does not support local search, but I am still able to find a local game if I try a few times.
    The bottom line is, even if I manage to get into a local game, I only got 1 bar. (sometimes I got 3-4 bars tho)
    1 bar is actually worse than a US game because I can get 2 bars in a US game most of the time.
    There must be something wrong.

I know that Australians have problems with online connection that don't support local search, CoD4 must be the case then, i think there is nothing you can do about it. 

World at War does support local search, you can turn it on and off, just for the record.
    Fengato
    Welcome to 2007.  Matchmaking in COD4 has always been a problem in Oz- players outside of Europe and North America were left out in the cold, and despite pleading, IW completely ignored the problem. Thankfully Treyarch got local search going with W@W (360), and eventually IW adopted it for MW2 (after a few months of crap matchmaking). It doesn't make a difference if your NAT is open, or if your internet service is mega - the matchmaking will always defer to a Northern Hemisphere connection when able.

COD4 is dead to me because of the netcode.
    hksonx
    This time I am the host of a game.
    While everyone in the game is aussie, some of them only have 1 bar.
    There is something preventing me to get a good connection from other aussie.
    Am I missing the point or is this completely irrelevant to Black Ops?
    Surely you would get more help on the IW forums? LOL.