25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2010 10:12 AM by Kronikman RSS

250+ Devs Working on Black Ops for 2+ Years. Is this true?

wikoogle
If it is true, and I was Activision, I would market the hell out of this factoid.

Infinity Ward had a development team of 100. Treyarch has nearly 300. Previously, these developers were split up over a number of different games being coded simultanously. But now, it seems that all 300 of them were assigned to work on different aspects of this one game.

I honestly don't think that any game in history has had that amount of talent working on it for that long a period of time. And best of all, the engine was already done for the most part from previous COD games, so all this work went entirely into story, game modes, features, functionality and gameplay.

Just this one fact alone, if true, instantly makes my anticipation for this game sky high.

No wonder the game is so jam packed with features and modes. When you have that many people working on something, you literally CAN fit everything in.

If I was Activision, I would be advertising the hell out of this factoid prior to release. It would singlehandedly cement into fact that this is the best Call of Duty game ever made, by far.
  • Re: 250+ Devs Working on Black Ops for 2+ Years. Is this true?
    Rienkeman
    its true, and i agree. havent seen any commercials about black ops yet tbh, like none at all. when waw came out there were some. ah well, it already has loads of pre-orders so there going good
    wikoogle
    So you're certain that this is in fact true?

It is a confirmed fact, that as soon as WaW was done, all of Treyarch was brought back together and assigned to work on this one game?

I'm not mistaken in thinking this?

If so, hell yeah, November can't come soon enough.

Positive word of mouth, a happy fan base, and solid reviews is a far stronger marketing force than even a billion dollar ad campaign. People are a lot more savvy than they used to be, especially with the internet. Even if I was plastered with ads for a game every single minute of tv that I watch, I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick if everyone online said the game sucked.
    Rienkeman
    i dont know if they immediatly started on black ops the day after waw came out dont think so, but they are deff 1,5 years working on this. maybe longer
    wikoogle
    All of them. That part is true atleast right? 300 devs working on it for 18 months is more than good enough. Now, I just hope the campaign story isn't as mind-numbingly idiotic as Modern Warfare 2's story was.
    reyers9597
    Wait a week or two. You will start seeing more Black Ops commercials then(most likely). Medal Of Honour is coming out soon and has there commercial air time, BO will have their's after.
    reyers9597

reyers9597 wrote:

Wait a week or two. You will start seeing more Black Ops commercials then(most likely). Medal Of Honour is coming out soon and has there commercial air time, BO will have their's after.

Found out when you can see the first commercial. Monday night on ESPN. It will be on during the Minnesota and New York football game.
    bobmulchaf
    I actually thought that MW2's campaign was pretty solid. It went one way then suddenly a twist comes and that just surprised me.
    So I really hate to burst everyone's bubble...but is it just me or did it seem like every game Infinity Ward made was infinitely better than ones made by treyarch? Even to the extent of graphics, I thought COD4 had great graphics and that playing WAW almost made my eyes bleed because it was such an epic backstep...It could just be me, but this is definitely my opinion.

Bigger is not always better.

That being said I am still really pumped for COD:BO don't get me wrong...but I still think that MW2 had better graphics from what I've been seeing...

InB4: I realize that graphics aren't everything it's just one example.
    Rienkeman
    i loved waw graphics to be honest, realy gave that world war 2 feeling.
    wikoogle

MendicantBias032 wrote:

So I really hate to burst everyone's bubble...but is it just me or did it seem like every game Infinity Ward made was infinitely better than ones made by treyarch? Even to the extent of graphics, I thought COD4 had great graphics and that playing WAW almost made my eyes bleed because it was such an epic backstep...It could just be me, but this is definitely my opinion.

That being said I am still really pumped for COD:BO don't get me wrong...but I still think that MW2 had better graphics from what I've been seeing...

No I agree with you. Infinity Ward is more experienced, and quite possibly more talented. They made the IW engine and all the updates to it. COD4 looks incredible even today (and better than WaW imo).

But at the same time Treyarch was split up to pump out so many different games at the same time, so they couldn't really work on it that much. In addition, they didn't have any experience with FPS before they were told to start pumping out CoD games by Activision. And it seems like Activision treated them like a second string studio until they lost Infinity Ward. And with IW gone, both Activision and Treyarch have alot more to prove and more at stake since they are now responsible for what happens to the entire CoD franchise.

Given all this, I think Black Ops will be marked improvement over WaW, which was itself by no means a bad game (just not quite as good as CoD4).

I think over an 18-24 month period, 300 talented developers with something to prove can create a far superior game to 100 extremely talented developers who were dealing with a bunch of internal bullshit at the same time and were also rushed by Activision.

MendicantBias032 wrote:

I loved IW's games more. COD 2, COD 4, and MW2. I hated WAW but it had some great aspects of the game that IW could have implemented and vice cersa. I am really looking forward to BLOPS because It uses MW2's engine but with the brilliance of TA
    skyfire420

bobmulchaf wrote:

I actually thought that MW2's campaign was pretty solid. It went one way then suddenly a twist comes and that just surprised me.

I have to disagree, the campaign was way to short and easy. First COD game without re-spawning enemies, which made Veteran way to easy. I hope Black Ops has re-spawning enemies in the campaign.
    Ghost302
    Yes every dev at Treyarch has been working on this. They have 2 teams at the studio working on it. 1 team is working on the single player and the other on the multiplayer. As for a commercial, Look for the new Single Player Trailer on the Vikings-Jets Monday Night Football game on
    ESPN. Then it will be online later that nite.

wikoogle wrote:

So you're certain that this is in fact true?

It is a confirmed fact, that as soon as WaW was done, all of Treyarch was brought back together and assigned to work on this one game?

I'm not mistaken in thinking this?

If so, hell yeah, November can't come soon enough.

Positive word of mouth, a happy fan base, and solid reviews is a far stronger marketing force than even a billion dollar ad campaign. People are a lot more savvy than they used to be, especially with the internet. Even if I was plastered with ads for a game every single minute of tv that I watch, I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick if everyone online said the game sucked.

Truth.
    i know treyarch has brought this point up about dedicated team.(it was a year and half not 2 years)
    wikoogle
    Is it indeed the largest number of devs to ever work on a single game?

Considering how huge and profitable a franchise COD is, how many platforms it's coming out on, and how badly Activision needs it to succeed after the IW fiasco, it wouldn't surprise me.
    minr 69r
    How do you know it will be the best game ever made it hasnt even come out yet like check your facts dude
    phantomking111
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know this. I'm so excited now!
    Cr4$h938
    black ops WILL be better, MW2 had so many problems, single player too, I still don't get why people love
    it that much?!?! And Infinity Ward dosn't care, look at the fuel wall glitch, whats the matter? Can't go get off your ***
    and fix ANOTHER glitch, if that was treyarch they would be wondering why is that even there?!?! POINT: This game
    will be AMAZING,but since it dosn't have that much of a following, people won't care  . This game WILL be BETTER!
    CTolson
    You don't need to advertise.The game sales itself.Why waste money on advertising.Just put out a few MP videos and you're in the money.
    i loved cod4, loved waw and graphics didnt matter cus it was based on wwII so like someone said, it gave it a feel and plus, i never had any problem with waw, and mw2, i hate the balls out of that game.  i think everyone fell for mw2 cus they loved cod4 and the recent era of war but it disappointed i would say 90% of people lol. that game gave me more problems than any other. 

mw 2 was just disgusting.  made me wanna puke haha. i think many people other than me hate that game, which is why we're excited for this game.  no other game has done a bunch of the things BO has done i.e. customizations, cod points, stuff like that so it seems like its a new era of gaming for the COD franchise, and to have 250+ developers working on it could only be a positive thing. 

i will say after mw2, if BO were to disappoint me, i think i will quit xbox for good cus all i do is play COD games and no t others, so this is the end of the line for me if it were to be a bad game.

which i doubt cus mw2 set a record hard to break in the Bad Games section.
    ghosthound
    Yes this is true - & hopefully that means Black Ops will be as awesome as it looks. 
    Paddydcfc2010
    no they didnt take 2 years to make it, they just say that to make the community think they're brilliant
    StickSinStones

Rienkeman wrote:

i loved waw graphics to be honest, realy gave that world war 2 feeling.

I thought the same thing actually.
    Kronikman

reyers9597 wrote:

reyers9597 wrote:

Found out when you can see the first commercial. Monday night on ESPN. It will be on during the Minnesota and New York football game.

Pretty sure they had a "Pre-order black ops and get a special thing" commercial.  Where those 2 non-americans are standing in a room talking about how the american's can see what they're doing at all times, and they wonder if they can right now.  The american bust in the window and take em out then it's the black ops logo.