45 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2010 3:07 PM by zeppelincross RSS

Real reason for them using Steam!

[FR]TheSorrow
With all the Call of Duty's you never had to pay for the map packs just went to a site and downloaded what u need, but with MW2 running through Steam users had to PAY for them which in my opinion is stupid. I think this is the real reason for them putting this game through Steam, not just because everybody and their friends are on Steam cause of MW2. Just another way to get more money in there greedy little hands. and its a big slap in the face to PC gamers, that's the main reason I switched to PC gaming cause you  don't have to pay for the online experience.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    =F|A= Tomato
    You don't have to pay for stuff just because it's on Steam. Developers push out free updates on Steam all of the time. It's Treyarch's choice whether or not they charge us.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    kornrocker
    One could say it's for the updates because there was a huge number of people that stayed on the 1st version in CoD4 cause it had to be manually patched and a ton of newbs did not know how to do it. But I really think we will at least get the maps at a lower price. They sell all map stuff on Console, and MW2 treated Computer just like console, I don't see it happening with PC with black ops as well. If it does, it hopefully will be cheap. They may give us the 1st map pack (zombies for free). other then that I won't spend 15$ for a map pack.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    If the only side effect of them using steam is to push stupid map packs then I am fine with that. Make all the map packs you want I am not buying them.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    [FR]TheSorrow
    Im talking about the map packs not the automatic updates, If u look on Steam u get charged $14.99  for each Map Pack for MW2
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    =F|A= Tomato
    That still doesn't mean Treyarch will charge for them. Tons of games give things like map packs for free. It all depends on whether or not Treyarch decides to charge us.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    This has been the popular belief in these forums.  I'm fine with them charging and I may purchase it if I view it to be worth the money.  I didn't think that MW2's map packs were worth the $15 premium so I didn't buy them.  I still play that game to this day and I am comfortable with that decision.

    - 420
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    dicobalt
    Call me crazy but I don't mind paying for map packs.  Seriously, the official maps are always very well designed and it takes quite a bit of time to make them.  I never notice the same type of balance and careful design in modded maps.  The prices should probably be lower though, seems way out of proportion.  I know the map designers for MW2 didn't spend 25% (14.99/59.99) of the game's price developing the default maps lol  Seems like high map prices would discourage people from buying it in the first place anyway.  Don't you want everyone to get it and make the game that much more popular?
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    B1nary
    I realize that many PC games in the past received free map packs, but who cares? That's the past. You guys should stop living in it. If you don't like paying for the map packs, don't pay for them. I just think it's funny that you guys expect them to take the time to create maps for us and expect that it be given to us for free. That's like walking up to a server in a restaurant and demanding a free burger and fries without paying for the meal.

    DEAL WITH IT. Maps may have been free in the past, but they likely will not be free now. Oh well! I don't care if they're $5, $10, or $15, I'll still buy them. I don't have any other games waiting on pre-order or that I'm looking forward to, so I've got a few bucks to spare, assuming that the maps look like they are fun to play.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    heady89
    It's rather simple really, it comes down too things like narrowing piracy, better control/security/integrity, and obviously providing updates to the game automatically seeing as the game is mainstreamed and as mentioned before, Cod4,2,1 etc had to be patched manually.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    camshaft16
    it is not Treyarch's decision on whether to charge for DLC, it's Activision's alone.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Mechnix

    B1nary wrote:

     

    I realize that many PC games in the past received free map packs, but who cares? That's the past. You guys should stop living in it. If you don't like paying for the map packs, don't pay for them. I just think it's funny that you guys expect them to take the time to create maps for us and expect that it be given to us for free. That's like walking up to a server in a restaurant and demanding a free burger and fries without paying for the meal.

    DEAL WITH IT. Maps may have been free in the past, but they likely will not be free now. Oh well! I don't care if they're $5, $10, or $15, I'll still buy them. I don't have any other games waiting on pre-order or that I'm looking forward to, so I've got a few bucks to spare, assuming that the maps look like they are fun to play.




    If they released mod tools and people could run their own servers with user made maps that in many cases were better than stock maps (like way back a few years ago before they decided to squeeze every last dime out of us) then they would lose control of their cash cow.

    This isn't progress no matter how it's spun.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!

    Mechnix wrote:

     

    B1nary wrote:

     

    I realize that many PC games in the past received free map packs, but who cares? That's the past. You guys should stop living in it. If you don't like paying for the map packs, don't pay for them. I just think it's funny that you guys expect them to take the time to create maps for us and expect that it be given to us for free. That's like walking up to a server in a restaurant and demanding a free burger and fries without paying for the meal.

    DEAL WITH IT. Maps may have been free in the past, but they likely will not be free now. Oh well! I don't care if they're $5, $10, or $15, I'll still buy them. I don't have any other games waiting on pre-order or that I'm looking forward to, so I've got a few bucks to spare, assuming that the maps look like they are fun to play.




    If they released mod tools and people could run their own servers with user made maps that in many cases were better than stock maps (like way back a few years ago before they decided to squeeze every last dime out of us) then they would lose control of their cash cow.

    This isn't progress no matter how it's spun.



    FACT: 90% or more of the community made maps are crap. So it is pure vanity for this community to say that the maps they make are "in many cases" better than the stock maps. You can count on the fingers of one hand the professional level mappers in the COD community.

    Also, when the map tools arrive, Treyarch wont loose control of their "cash cow" as custom maps can't be played on ranked servers. Players who play on ranked servers are the target audience amongst the PC community for DLC, but the REAL targets are the consoles - they buy the map packs literally in their millions.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Fragasm
    I don't understand how people can expect all of this stuff for free.

    Dev's sitting in their studio designing maps = working hours.  People need to get paid, there is nothing unusualy about them putting a price on their work and their product. 

    Consider how many hours of play you will get out of a map pack.  Consider how much it costs to go to a video game arcade and play games.  How much does it cost to go see a movie?  How much is a burger and fries?

    When you buy a car (I realize nobody complaining about paying for a map pack has even the common sense to grasp this example because they obviously don't own cars) you don't get free upgrades to your car, or free services.  You pay for services, that's life.

    In the past, some developers have released DLC's -- you people shouldn't look at that as the rule; it was the exception.  You've been blessed in the past, and now you're spoiled.

    If you don't want it -- don't buy it. 

    I'll be buying the DLC's if they look like decent maps because $15 is worth another 100 hours of game time to me.

    In fact -- I think it is a bargain.

    Furthermore -- the logic suggested in this thread is just plain retarded.  You don't HAVE to buy the DLC, nobody is going to force you to buy it.  You'll still be able to play the game without the DLC.  Like someone stated above I play MW2 and did NOT buy either of the DLC's for it -- and I still play.

    It sounds to me like you're complaining that the DLC will only be available on Steam -- and not off some pirate website where you can get it for free.

    Get a F*CKING JOB and stop complaining.  Entertainment isn't free, it's 2010 -- it costs MONEY.  GET OVER IT.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Wow402izBacK
    Not paying for them. Don't care how good they are. Does nobody else think? If no one buys them they will make them free.

    Money making scheme.

    -Buy the game 
    -Buy a server (rent) 

    -Buy Map packs? NO!
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    G-MAN013
    I don't mind paying £30 - £35 for a pc game but expect FREE patches & additional content thereafter like we have had in the past. If they expect us to pay for extra content then atleast give the initial game away for free!
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Kaltzor

    =F|A= Tomato wrote:

     

    You don't have to pay for stuff just because it's on Steam. Developers push out free updates on Steam all of the time. It's Treyarch's choice whether or not they charge us.


    Unless I'm mistaken, that might actually be Activision's choice... and since they care for players oh so much...
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    cowo8

    B1nary wrote:

     

    I realize that many PC games in the past received free map packs, but who cares? That's the past. You guys should stop living in it. If you don't like paying for the map packs, don't pay for them. I just think it's funny that you guys expect them to take the time to create maps for us and expect that it be given to us for free. That's like walking up to a server in a restaurant and demanding a free burger and fries without paying for the meal.

    DEAL WITH IT. Maps may have been free in the past, but they likely will not be free now. Oh well! I don't care if they're $5, $10, or $15, I'll still buy them. I don't have any other games waiting on pre-order or that I'm looking forward to, so I've got a few bucks to spare, assuming that the maps look like they are fun to play.


    Or, buying a 5 star table at a posh restaurant and demanding the caviar and truffle for free . Idk if that makes sense but you if you buy the game, be prepared for buying add-ons.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    mR Satanspawn
    For all the people talking about FREE packs in the past they weren't free per-say  . They were paid for just not by us but by sponsors like NIVEDA
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    British_Bulldog1

    Dante2010 wrote:

     



    FACT: 90% or more of the community made maps are crap. So it is pure vanity for this community to say that the maps they make are "in many cases" better than the stock maps. You can count on the fingers of one hand the professional level mappers in the COD community.

    Also, when the map tools arrive, Treyarch wont loose control of their "cash cow" as custom maps can't be played on ranked servers. Players who play on ranked servers are the target audience amongst the PC community for DLC, but the REAL targets are the consoles - they buy the map packs literally in their millions.



    Jeez, this is a FACT is it?  Do you play on the PC?  Have you ever played on a custom map?  I suspect if you played on a PC, it wasn't yours and if you have, per chance, played a custom map or 2, that is the limit of your knowledge.  Unless you have played on the majority of custom maps that have been made, you cannot substantiate the 90% statement - therefore it is NOT a fact.  I HAVE played many custom maps, indeed, I have also beta tested many of these custom maps, in order to test playability and to eliminate as many glitches as possible.  Want to know how good I am at testing maps - ask Paulo88 - a mapper from the community that has been employed by Treyarch.  I have been involved in testing maps since CoD1 and in my knowledgable opinion, over 50% of custom maps are of excellent quality.

    Also, why assume that PC's will be paying for DLC?  In the past, this download content was paid for by sponsorship deals with people like nVidia.

    Incidentally, will you Americans please learn the difference between lose and loose!  Lose is to misplace something that is never to be found and loose is like loose change in your pocket or a cow running loose in the field.

    As for your comment that the target audience for DLC is the console market.  Yeah, I'll go along with that.

    BB1
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!

    British_Bulldog1 wrote:

     

    Dante2010 wrote:

     



    FACT: 90% or more of the community made maps are crap. So it is pure vanity for this community to say that the maps they make are "in many cases" better than the stock maps. You can count on the fingers of one hand the professional level mappers in the COD community.

    Also, when the map tools arrive, Treyarch wont loose control of their "cash cow" as custom maps can't be played on ranked servers. Players who play on ranked servers are the target audience amongst the PC community for DLC, but the REAL targets are the consoles - they buy the map packs literally in their millions.



    Jeez, this is a FACT is it?  Do you play on the PC?  Have you ever played on a custom map?  I suspect if you played on a PC, it wasn't yours and if you have, per chance, played a custom map or 2, that is the limit of your knowledge.  Unless you have played on the majority of custom maps that have been made, you cannot substantiate the 90% statement - therefore it is NOT a fact.  I HAVE played many custom maps, indeed, I have also beta tested many of these custom maps, in order to test playability and to eliminate as many glitches as possible.  Want to know how good I am at testing maps - ask Paulo88 - a mapper from the community that has been employed by Treyarch.  I have been involved in testing maps since CoD1 and in my knowledgable opinion, over 50% of custom maps are of excellent quality.

    Also, why assume that PC's will be paying for DLC?  In the past, this download content was paid for by sponsorship deals with people like nVidia.

    Incidentally, will you Americans please learn the difference between lose and loose!  Lose is to misplace something that is never to be found and loose is like loose change in your pocket or a cow running loose in the field.

    As for your comment that the target audience for DLC is the console market.  Yeah, I'll go along with that.

    BB1




    I don't play consoles, never have. Which is why I post in these here PC forums. And as the flag in my avatar box indicates, I am British. So, sorry if my incorrect use of loose/lose offends thee, but we all make mistakes don't we? Like you misspelling "knowledgeable" as "knowledgable". How does that old quote go? "Let him who has no sin cast the first stone."

    As to my saying 90% of custom maps suck, that was a figure taken from a recent BASH podcast, and it was a community mapper who said it. Sorry if you don't agree, but it is true in our and lots of other PC players' opinion nonetheless.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    heady89

    British_Bulldog1 wrote:

     

    Dante2010 wrote:

     



    FACT: 90% or more of the community made maps are crap. So it is pure vanity for this community to say that the maps they make are "in many cases" better than the stock maps. You can count on the fingers of one hand the professional level mappers in the COD community.

    Also, when the map tools arrive, Treyarch wont loose control of their "cash cow" as custom maps can't be played on ranked servers. Players who play on ranked servers are the target audience amongst the PC community for DLC, but the REAL targets are the consoles - they buy the map packs literally in their millions.



    Jeez, this is a FACT is it?  Do you play on the PC?  Have you ever played on a custom map?  I suspect if you played on a PC, it wasn't yours and if you have, per chance, played a custom map or 2, that is the limit of your knowledge.  Unless you have played on the majority of custom maps that have been made, you cannot substantiate the 90% statement - therefore it is NOT a fact.  I HAVE played many custom maps, indeed, I have also beta tested many of these custom maps, in order to test playability and to eliminate as many glitches as possible.  Want to know how good I am at testing maps - ask Paulo88 - a mapper from the community that has been employed by Treyarch.  I have been involved in testing maps since CoD1 and in my knowledgable opinion, over 50% of custom maps are of excellent quality.

    Also, why assume that PC's will be paying for DLC?  In the past, this download content was paid for by sponsorship deals with people like nVidia.

    Incidentally, will you Americans please learn the difference between lose and loose!  Lose is to misplace something that is never to be found and loose is like loose change in your pocket or a cow running loose in the field.

    As for your comment that the target audience for DLC is the console market.  Yeah, I'll go along with that.

    BB1



    Still, like he told you the majority of the custom maps lack quality , thats a fact. The reason is rather straight forward, mapping takes a lot of time both to learn, master and too do once you've mastered it. Per say a detailed map could take about 3 months+ to finish off for a professional mapper.(in house they might divide lightning, geometry jobs etc between several artists) add too that spare time, life in general and you ain't getting that many quality maps from the community mappers, as its not their job.

    Tools are great however, it allows for quality mods, maps the few that makes it out , including competitive mods. And giving the community the creative freedom to do as they wish is always welcome.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    British_Bulldog1

    Dante2010 wrote:

     



    I don't play consoles, never have. Which is why I post in these here PC forums. And as the flag in my avatar box indicates, I am British. So, sorry if the incorrect use of loose/lose offends thee, but we all make mistakes don't we? Like you misspelling "knowledgeable" as "knowledgable". How does that old quote go? "Let him who has no sin cast the first stone."

    As to my saying 90% of custom maps suck, that was a figure taken from a recent BASH podcast, and it was a community mapper who said it. Sorry if you don't agree, but it is true nonetheless.



    "knowledgeable" as "knowledgable". Caught!! bang to rights lol typo's happen (a typo is somewhat different to a misspelling where the misspelling is consistantly repeated.), but the lose to loose comparison is not a typo.  See it too often for that.  As for the factoid, you claimed it's a fact without any qualification and I would throw the same comment at this "community mapper."  You still state it to be true, as though YOU know it, when it is obvious you do NOT know.  You are taking the word of somebody else who has also probably not played that many custom maps, other than his own.  Now, if you stated that 90% of the custom maps YOU have played were rubbish, we would be getting somewhere.

    @heady89 - I'm not saying ALL the custom maps are as good as or better than those from the developer, just disputing the disproportionate 90%

    BB1
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    83% of all stats in forum posts are made up on the spot.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Killop5
    Steam is made by Valve

    Valve made TF2, which, by the way, has had over 100 free updates.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!

    Killop5 wrote:

     

    Steam is made by Valve

    Valve made TF2, which, by the way, has had over 100 free updates.



    But not anymore, eh? TF2 is about to get its first paid DLC. So, even Valve are buying into the microtransaction philosophy.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Fragasm

    Fragasm wrote:

     

    I don't understand how people can expect all of this stuff for free.

    Dev's sitting in their studio designing maps = working hours.  People need to get paid, there is nothing unusualy about them putting a price on their work and their product. 

    Consider how many hours of play you will get out of a map pack.  Consider how much it costs to go to a video game arcade and play games.  How much does it cost to go see a movie?  How much is a burger and fries?

    When you buy a car (I realize nobody complaining about paying for a map pack has even the common sense to grasp this example because they obviously don't own cars) you don't get free upgrades to your car, or free services.  You pay for services, that's life.

    In the past, some developers have released DLC's -- you people shouldn't look at that as the rule; it was the exception.  You've been blessed in the past, and now you're spoiled.

    If you don't want it -- don't buy it. 

    I'll be buying the DLC's if they look like decent maps because $15 is worth another 100 hours of game time to me.

    In fact -- I think it is a bargain.

    Furthermore -- the logic suggested in this thread is just plain retarded.  You don't HAVE to buy the DLC, nobody is going to force you to buy it.  You'll still be able to play the game without the DLC.  Like someone stated above I play MW2 and did NOT buy either of the DLC's for it -- and I still play.

    It sounds to me like you're complaining that the DLC will only be available on Steam -- and not off some pirate website where you can get it for free.

    Get a F*CKING JOB and stop complaining.  Entertainment isn't free, it's 2010 -- it costs MONEY.  GET OVER IT.



    I love how no one even bothered to reply to this post; probably because it made complete sense and people can't handle it.

    TL: DR  -- $15 is not a lot of money to spend for the amount of entertainment you will be getting out of it.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    British_Bulldog1
    @ Fragasm - It may not have received a direct and specific answer, but it has received an answer, in the form of mentioning that previous free content for the PC, was paid for by the likes of nVidia and sponsorships.

    BB1
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    B1nary

    British_Bulldog1 wrote:

     

    @ Fragasm - It may not have received a direct and specific answer, but it has received an answer, in the form of mentioning that previous free content for the PC, was paid for by the likes of nVidia and sponsorships.

    BB1


    What is your point though? That doesn't technically prove or disprove Frag's quote. His quote is basically the same as mine on the first or second page: you can't expect content for free. Period. The funny thing is, no more than one person has replied to my comment either. PC gamers need to stop living in the past. These maps will NOT be free, we can be 99% sure of that, and there isn't one thing about that that isn't fair. It requires time/effort/people to create those maps. And the people that create those maps for us are getting paid. That money has to come out of someone's pockets. And with the economy the way it has been over the last two years (or longer), I would imagine that no company, nVidia or otherwise, is ready to dive into their pockets and start throwing their money at video game developers so that we can have some free content.

    So in short, no, no one has technically replied to his comment, direct or indirect. I want to see an actual counter-comment to mine or his, one that isn't full of childishness either. A true attempt to civilly explain why it isn't fair to charge for the creation of professional content by Treyarch.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    FAFFER
    mappacks are a rip-off!

    the profit margins are disgraceful! it wouldn't be so bad if the actual talent got some of the money...but I'd put money on Activision making DLC part of Treyarchs original budget!

    2x mappacks are not worth the price of a FULL game, its really that simple! they don't take anywhere near the cost of a game to make...and are getting near 50% of the price!

    Its the blatant milking that most people object to!

    DLC wasn't a bad concept to start with, small payments to keep players interested till the next title...

    then activision sees the dollar signs and greed takes over! = screw the franchise for all its worth. :/
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    FRivera
    Quick someone get me a facepalm ascii graphic.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    B1nary

    FAFFER wrote:

     

    the profit margins are disgraceful! it wouldn't be so bad if the actual talent got some of the money...but I'd put money on Activision making DLC part of Treyarchs original budget!


    A very likely assumption, my hat goes off to you on that one. They very likely do. But ultimately, what could a few thousand people really do about it? The fact is, a majority of Black Ops players will sink their money into the map packs. Granted, there are a large number of people out there in the world (mostly PC gamers because they think that DLC should be handed to them for free on a silver platter) that will preach all day about the fact that they aren't going to pay money for these map packs and stick to their word. Now keep in mind that I hang around the PC forums because I myself am a PC gamer, but I'm not like a lot of you guys: I'm willing to accept the fact that they expect us to pay them money, even $15, for a map pack with only four or five maps in it, because nothing in life is free and I am okay with that.

    Here's why I bring that point up though: they already have more pre-orders for this game than MW2 did. Not to mention that there are a ton of people out there that will buy this game after release as well. By that point, they've already made all the money they expect to get for this game and more. So at that point, any money they make off of the map packs will be nothing but profit. So you can preach all day about how it's a rip off and that you won't buy into it, but ultimately, do you really think that Activision will care? Hell no, they've already got the money that you spent on the game in their pockets. And since so many thousands of people are going to buy the map packs regardless of what a few thousand hard asses that refuse to buy them do or say, you guys aren't proving anything to Activision. Period. They're still going to make everything they expect to make on the DLC. So if you don't buy them, that's your decision. I for one plan on buying them no matter the price. I always love Treyarch's map designs and I, along with a very large amount of other gamers, look forward to everything that they've created for us.

    FAFFER wrote:

     

    2x mappacks are not worth the price of a FULL game, its really that simple! they don't take anywhere near the cost of a game to make...and are getting near 50% of the price!


    I assume you meant to say "2x mappacks are not worth the price of HALF of a game...", right? Based off of the price points of the two map packs for MW2 (which is what I assume will be charged for the BO map packs), that only totals $30, which is not the price of a full game. Hopefully that's what you meant by following that statement up with "...and are getting near 50% of the price!" --> Just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant. 
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    1. Paid map packs are never used in tournaments.
    2.Looking back if CoD4 charged for maps I would have purchased them. I played that game alot
    3.MW2 was a fun game but was not popular enough to warrent paying for maps.
    4.Sure glad I did not buy MW2 map packs.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    R3APER-UK
    If a game ships with a lot of content then i dont mind paying for the extra maps, Black Ops ships with SP, MP, MP/SP coop and zombie coop, also comes with 14 multiplayer maps, thats a whole lot of content.
    Now what bugs me is games that seem to arrive half finished but still charge full price, then 2 to 4 weeks after release they decide they want to sell you the rest of the game, even though it should of been included, prime example mafia 2 and now MOH like 8 maps 3 or so guns per class Sp that lasted about 4 or 5 hrs at mos, tand on the 2nd of Nov they want to charge us for 2 or 4 new maps and a game mode, thats just greedy.

    I gladly pay for the extra stuff  as i feel im getting a complete game from treyarch, although i feel that the coop mode combat training is a little but of a shortcut, would of prefered a campaign coop my self but you cant have it all.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Pay for something, someone creates OR develops?  What is this world coming to?  I did notice on the Steam store, that free health-care came with the stimulus package... :P
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    FAFFER

    B1nary wrote:

     


    A very likely assumption, my hat goes off to you on that one. They very likely do. But ultimately, what could a few thousand people really do about it? *snip*



    so just suck it up, and take it dry because all the other idiots do?! no thanks.

    B1nary wrote:

     


    I assume you meant to say "2x mappacks are not worth the price of HALF of a game...", right? Based off of the price points of the two map packs for MW2 (which is what I assume will be charged for the BO map packs), that only totals $30, which is not the price of a full game. Hopefully that's what you meant by following that statement up with "...and are getting near 50% of the price!" --> Just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant. 



    £10 a mappack, PC games are usually £30....and I did say "getting near" half the price.

    thats without comparing them to other cheaper AAA games...

    crysis 2 £27
    fear 3 £25
    NFS HP £25
    TDU 2 £25
    GTA/eps £18

    you get the idea...

    Its about time a group of devs went it alone and just released digital only...

    that way the right people get rewarded! instead of Activision making a billion and the devs getting 10s of millions to SHARE!
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    British_Bulldog1
    @ B1nary of course! there can be no fully effective counter argument!  The work is done and has to be paid for.  I'm with you on that point and I'm not someone screaming for "free" content.  I merely make the point that any previous content that was provided "free of charge" to the PC player, was actually paid for by companies sponsoring the work in order to advertise their product.  Therefore, there has never been "free content" provided to the PC player.  However, some PC players don't seem to have the intelligence to work that out.

    BB1
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    hillbillyIsh

    British_Bulldog1 wrote:

     

    @ B1nary of course! there can be no fully effective counter argument!  The work is done and has to be paid for.  I'm with you on that point and I'm not someone screaming for "free" content.  I merely make the point that any previous content that was provided "free of charge" to the PC player, was actually paid for by companies sponsoring the work in order to advertise their product.  Therefore, there has never been "free content" provided to the PC player.  However, some PC players don't seem to have the intelligence to work that out.

    BB1



    With respect BB1.

    The issue has never been about paid for DLC either by the customer or a sponsor....you make good quality extra content ( expansions etc ) and it sells.As we seen with MW2 people are not overtly fond of paying out the price of the full title for a few maps.

    The issue is the directions taken and the control imposed on the gamers to facilitate profit over gaming experience.

    PC gaming has always been about longevity
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!

    British_Bulldog1 wrote:

     

    @ B1nary of course! there can be no fully effective counter argument!  The work is done and has to be paid for.  I'm with you on that point and I'm not someone screaming for "free" content.  I merely make the point that any previous content that was provided "free of charge" to the PC player, was actually paid for by companies sponsoring the work in order to advertise their product.  Therefore, there has never been "free content" provided to the PC player.  However, some PC players don't seem to have the intelligence to work that out.

    BB1



    All the maps issued in patches for vCOD, UO and COD2 were totally free of charge. There were no sponsors for them in those days. That only started with COD4.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Fragasm

    hillbillyIsh wrote:

     

    British_Bulldog1 wrote:

     

    @ B1nary of course! there can be no fully effective counter argument!  The work is done and has to be paid for.  I'm with you on that point and I'm not someone screaming for "free" content.  I merely make the point that any previous content that was provided "free of charge" to the PC player, was actually paid for by companies sponsoring the work in order to advertise their product.  Therefore, there has never been "free content" provided to the PC player.  However, some PC players don't seem to have the intelligence to work that out.

    BB1



    With respect BB1.

    The issue has never been about paid for DLC either by the customer or a sponsor....you make good quality extra content ( expansions etc ) and it sells.As we seen with MW2 people are not overtly fond of paying out the price of the full title for a few maps.

    The issue is the directions taken and the control imposed on the gamers to facilitate profit over gaming experience.

    PC gaming has always been about longevity



    I hear you man; but I want you to read back through this thread and explore more of the similar threads on these foumrs.  That's not the issue with most of these people;  their issue is simply having to pay for DLC, plain and simple.  Thing's cost money, that's life.  Now, nobody should be paying for bad content, that's common sense, that's being a responsible consumer.  That's why you have to right to refuse the service/DLC.  Nobody will make you buy it, but you have to buy it to use it. 

    There may be a fine line on this subject for many people -- but for me it's crystal clear.  If I want something, I have to pay for it.  If I don't want something, I don't have to pay for it.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Exportz
    Problem with pay DLC is that you split the online player so you lose out and shorten the life span of the game . U got 5,000 with the dlc maps so the other 5,00 dont play on them since they will get kicked when the map come up . That why mod tool make a game last and get other to buy the game a year or two even more since there still a online base out there . Take for example team fortress 2 ppl buy it for the half life engine to play other mods and hop on the old version too .Mod tools also download the custom maps when you are playing on a server that u dont got the map for if the admin set it up right . I believe paid DLC kill the life of the game not help it . But we see if Treyarch is greedy or We see if this is the same great company that release Cod world at war that has a mod tool in it and still going .
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    PalZer0
    The problem with paid DLC in MP games with dedicated servers is that it splits the player (and server) base into those who have paid for the DLC and those who haven't. Just look at AVP and see what happened there.
  • Re: Real reason for them using Steam!
    Well the next big reason is that you are not allowed to activate cheap us keys (imported game) , so you have to buy a game in your state which costs more , nice or?