43 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2010 10:32 AM by Mandell RSS

Fat PS3 -> PS3 Slim?

AaronG96
I have a fat ps3 40gb and i have had it 2 years. I was told that my playstation could pack up soon so i have been considering getting a Ps3 slim for christmas.

Should i get a ps3 slim for christmas? if so what advantages does it have over the fat ps3?

thanks.

• Re: Fat PS3 -> PS3 Slim?
    I_-RYAN-_I
    Unless you're running out of space i wouldn't bother.
    I've had the 80gb for coming upto 3 years, never had any problems - running low on HDD space though 'cause of PlayTV lawl.
    VitalSyntax

AaronG96 wrote:

I have a fat ps3 40gb and i have had it 2 years. I was told that my playstation could pack up soon so i have been considering getting a Ps3 slim for christmas.

Should i get a ps3 slim for christmas? if so what advantages does it have over the fat ps3?

thanks.

Don't get a new PS3 until your old one breaks. I know you'll be without a PS3 for a few days between when the old one breaks and when the new one ships/is purchased, but there is no need to spend money on a new one until it breaks.
    Dennis27
    40 GBs< 120 GBs
    You should get the slim in my opinion.
    AaronG96

VitalSyntax wrote:

AaronG96 wrote:

thanks.

Don't get a new PS3 until your old one breaks. I know you'll be without a PS3 for a few days between when the old one breaks and when the new one ships/is purchased, but there is no need to spend money on a new one until it breaks.

ok. i wont. but can i ask, is there any advantages of it over the fat one?
    Dennis27

AaronG96 wrote:

VitalSyntax wrote:

AaronG96 wrote:

thanks.

ok. i wont. but can i ask, is there any advantages of it over the fat one?

Not any advantages just looks nicer/ there is more harddrive space
    annihilator
    The PS3 Slim doesn't have backwards compatibility, and if your like me(all PS2s were taken my brothers) it means a bunch, I've had my 60gb for nearly 4 years now(this christmas) and the worst its had was a memory dump of PS3 game saves, but I've had a friend get the ylod twice on his 80gb fat and another friend who got the ylod on his fairly new slim model, the main point is, as said above, wait till it breaks before replacing it, as you'll never know when it goes.
    TheShowStoppaa
    slim has loads move advantages than fat one. less noise, more gig the main ones, go for it
    liz1289
    If you want more space on your hard drive just get a new hard drive and transfer your data over from the old one, that's what i did. I have the fat ps3 was 60gb but put a 250gb hard drive in and it works fine. Although I had a problem with the Blu-Ray drive the other day, but I fixed it, i only need to clean the laser. I prefer the fat ps3 as it has more USB slots
    durrant22
    the new slims use less energy, are quieter, last longer, have more memory, and of course take up less space, if yours is past warranty i  would absolutely get a new one cause restoring a broken ps3 fat is a waste of money just get a new one

AaronG96 wrote:

thanks.

While you have this fresh on your mind about getting a new ps3, I would definitely take the time to transfer all your data to an external harddrive, scandisk whatever, because I wasn't so lucky and my first generation ps3 got the YLOD and I lost all my game data and everything......it was a sad day
    CoolJoker101
    You guys do know you can upgrade the hard drive of the PS3 doesn't matter if its FAT or SLIM. I upgraded mine to 600 gb, so no need for a SLIM.
    LostMem0ry_
    Guy above me is right. Doesn't matter what model of ps3 you get, PS3's use standard 2.5" Harddrives which are interchangeable. Go ahead and put a 1TB in if you want. Also, unless you 40Gb sounds or looks like it's gonna give up on you don't bother getting a slim. I've had my 80gb for 1 and 1/2 years and it's still working perfectly.
    mp-78

durrant22 wrote:

the new slims use less energy, are quieter, last longer, have more memory, and of course take up less space, if yours is past warranty i  would absolutely get a new one cause restoring a broken ps3 fat is a waste of money just get a new one

Sorry , how can you tell slims last longer ?? that is a stupidly retarded comment, they have only been out around a year , so all we know is they last 1 year.

I had my 60gb PS3 from when they first came out. It worked perfectly until a couple of months ago ( the Blue Ray drive failed   ). Obviously it was out of warranty. So i looked at my options.

1 - go and buy a slim PS3 = £250 approx.

2 - Get my old one fixed.

I called Sony and they said they would replace my PS3 with another for £130. But i didnt want a newer one as they do not have backwards compatibility , a multi card reader or 4 USB slots. And what makes it even better is Sony said they dont use the 60gb hard drive any more so they would have to supply me with a 160gb HD  The replacement i received goes down the same produstion and testing line as new units , Also the actual unit looked brand new , not a scratch on it and they supplied me with a further 6 months warranty! Plus lets get it right.....the slim PS3 looks SH*T compared to the older shinier ones!!
    the slims come with a bigger hard drive.
    fredyellowone

TheShowStoppaa wrote:

slim has loads move advantages than fat one. less noise, more gig the main ones, go for it

Less noise?

WTF you're talking about?  Never heard any noise off my fat 40 GB.

By the way, since money don't grow on trees, don't be stupid.  Keep your old PS3 until it breaks up, or untill you really need more space.
    It may never breaks up, by the way.

Ho and BTW MP-78 is totally right.  FAT ps3's look a lot better than slim ones.
    U_GOT_SHlT_ON_
    I have a question, what the hell do you do with your PS3 to even take up a 20gb drive.  I have never done anything but watch movies and play COD on it since it was released.  I would find it save to say I have less than 1gb of data saved on the PS3 and I game 5 hours a night.
    Brian.+

U_GOT_SHlT_ON_ wrote:

I have a question, what the hell do you do with your PS3 to even take up a 20gb drive.  I have never done anything but watch movies and play COD on it since it was released.  I would find it save to say I have less than 1gb of data saved on the PS3 and I game 5 hours a night.

Others play other games besides CoD
    Mr.Tim-Tim
    I had a 80gb ps3 for about 3 and half years before it got ylod because of dust build up. I have the slim now and it works good. If you shuts off randomly at first like mine did it is because it overheated.
    fredyellowone

U_GOT_SHlT_ON_ wrote:

Depend on what you do with it.
    I have 35 games on my PS3.  Some of those games are installed on the hard drive.  Plus, the majority of DLC come as  hard drive install only.
    + i got 10-12 online games i purshased through PSN store.

T-Vah44 wrote:

AaronG96 wrote:

thanks.

While you have this fresh on your mind about getting a new ps3, I would definitely take the time to transfer all your data to an external harddrive, scandisk whatever, because I wasn't so lucky and my first generation ps3 got the YLOD and I lost all my game data and everything......it was a sad day

Same thing happened to me, first gen 20GB got YLOD, then I bought a new one(60GB second gen) then that one just straight-up died(would not even go to standby mode) within, like, 3 months. Now I have a slim, and so far so good. But the slims don't have the cool touch sensitive buttons, just regular buttons, they have a matte finish, they only have 2 USB ports on the front but I don't really care about that. Also no multi-card reader or whatever.
    dwiz619
    So let me break it down I had the 60 gig FAT ps3 since 2007 and it just died on me this week(this would happen to me a week before black ops) but ive noticed it is extremely loud because my buddy has the slim which is silent. I dont know if it was just mine or what, but it could get annoying while watching blu rays.. So I just when out and bought a 250 gig slim. Yes your fat ps3 will eventually die like the others(still lasts longer than the xboxs) so basically I would say just wait to get a new one if you dont mind being without it for a day or 2 depending on your money situation, but if money isnt a issue for you right now id go get it now because the fat ps3 wont last you more than 3 years from my experience
    dwiz619

I_-RYAN-_I wrote:

Unless you're running out of space i wouldn't bother.
    I've had the 80gb for coming upto 3 years, never had any problems - running low on HDD space though 'cause of PlayTV lawl.

the clock is ticking on your ps3 RYAN... good luck getting to the 3 year mark, keep a spare $300 on hand is my advice for you. But this is coming from someone whos ps3 died this week so..

fredyellowone wrote:

Less noise?

Turn down your TV? 60GB launch still goin strong.

*knock on wood*
    The Slim seems to run smoother and the Fat PS3 seems to lose its steam in the long run.

I had my Slim for over a year now and no problems yet.

YourD3ath_11
    I just bough the PS3 SLIM 320GB version (had the PS3 SLIM 120GB) B4 but sold it... and it's very good.. i don't know about PS3 fat but i say it's gonna be your PS3 so you decide if youre buying a PS3 Slim
    EL1T3R3C0N69
    PLEASE get a slim before black ops

i had my fat ps3 for 3years and then it randomly overheated..couldnt fix it so had to get slim
    i play MP alot but im also pretty big on story and stuff for a bunch games...it took a week to get the downloads i wanted back on my new ps3...and since i gameshared for the mw2 maps but 4 other freinds did too, i had to RE BUY THEM...$30 down the F***ing drain...
    Aldreth
    Mine broke in the summer and I managed to mend it myself, died again last week so getting a slim on Saturday. Keep your 80gb, till it packs in...... keep it cool, and do a force clean occasioally- check your manual. It will last longer.
    Man i need a new PS3, mine has been out of commission for almost a month!
    i loved that 80gb
    it lasted about 2 1/2 years
    mp-78

mp-78 wrote:

durrant22 wrote:

Sorry , how can you tell slims last longer ?? that is a stupidly retarded comment, they have only been out around a year , so all we know is they last 1 year.

I had my 60gb PS3 from when they first came out. It worked perfectly until a couple of months ago ( the Blue Ray drive failed   ). Obviously it was out of warranty. So i looked at my options.

1 - go and buy a slim PS3 = £250 approx.

2 - Get my old one fixed.

I called Sony and they said they would replace my PS3 with another for £130. But i didnt want a newer one as they do not have backwards compatibility , a multi card reader or 4 USB slots. And what makes it even better is Sony said they dont use the 60gb hard drive any more so they would have to supply me with a 160gb HD  The replacement i received goes down the same produstion and testing line as new units , Also the actual unit looked brand new , not a scratch on it and they supplied me with a further 6 months warranty! Plus lets get it right.....the slim PS3 looks SH*T compared to the older shinier ones!!

Dont mean to big myself up but i thought i had answered this.........

Why buy a slim, you can get 2 replacements with warranty from Sony for the same price as 1 Slim.....read my above post !!
    Ash_Killem
    My 60gig FAT died about a year ago (MW2 killed it actually!)  and after that I bought a 250gb slim and it was worth every penny.  even though it lacks featrues of the originals its still an excellent system that runs beautifully!

ps when my 60gb died I sent it in to sony and gave it to my nephew.... it died on him at least once more, where he had to send it in to sony again, after that
    fredyellowone

Aldreth wrote:

Mine broke in the summer and I managed to mend it myself, died again last week so getting a slim on Saturday. Keep your 80gb, till it packs in...... keep it cool, and do a force clean occasioally- check your manual. It will last longer.

NEVER EVER EVER DO A FORCE CLEAN UP.

IT MAY HARM YOUR PS3

DIRECTLY STATED BY SONY
    fredyellowone

ontheDL9 wrote:

fredyellowone wrote:

Less noise?

Turn down your TV? 60GB launch still goin strong.

*knock on wood*

I have my PS3 40 GB model since 2007. 
    It never makes any sound.
    If you hear your fan...  it's because your unit is overheating.
    Assassinator010

Ash_Killem wrote:

My 60gig FAT died about a year ago (MW2 killed it actually!)  and after that I bought a 250gb slim and it was worth every penny.  even though it lacks featrues of the originals its still an excellent system that runs beautifully!

ps when my 60gb died I sent it in to sony and gave it to my nephew.... it died on him at least once more, where he had to send it in to sony again, after that

I agree, the slim does lack in features but it's reliability is alot better than the older models.
    rafaneez
    just save money just in case so you dont have to be that long without a ps3
    ok, so personally i dont think u shud, although u have lots to gain by doing so... the slim has more hard drive space, takes up less space cuz its smaller, its lighter and more portable, it takes longer for it to overheat, and its SLIGHTLY more ecofriendly but tht duznt matter anyway cuz ull most likely be using up electricity for hours...however, the old ps3s are very reliable, ive had the first generation ps3 for four years (i was one of the first to get one cuz when it was first released ther was a limited supply). i received the slim for my bday last year, which is totally awesome dont get me wrong, but it wasnt necessary. yes i do love my ps3 slim, but if i wer u, i would just buy an external hard drive tht supports the ps3 just in case ur running out of memory.....then i would save up to buy a 3D tv, but not yet cuz right now, the 3d tvs r in ther early stage, ther only gnna get way better in 2011 so i would w8 it out....i hear that 2 months from now, sony's gnna release their 46" 1080p tv tht supports 3D without even having to put on those 3D glasses, which is friken awesome....so save up for that FIRST, and then u can buy a slim if needed.

but thts just my opinion.
    Fr05ty666
    Had my 80GB fat for two years now and its still going strong.tho i do worry about my memory running out!
    chronicbreak
    I have the fat in one room and the slim in another and there is a difference in noise but during game play you really don't notice.  Also a significant difference in how the slim stays cooler.  With all the other advise you gotten, remember to keep the fat PS3 in a well ventilated area and it should last a while longer.
    mos_jamers
    i've got a 160GB slim. it's not too different from the regular i guess, just a lot more space. it's $300, same price as a 120GB, so if you're planning on getting one, get the 160
    TheShowStoppaa

fredyellowone wrote:

TheShowStoppaa wrote:

Less noise?

By the way, since money don't grow on trees, don't be stupid.  Keep your old PS3 until it breaks up, or untill you really need more space.
    It may never breaks up, by the way.

Ho and BTW MP-78 is totally right.  FAT ps3's look a lot better than slim ones.

WTF am i on about you must not play ur OLD ps3 then if u cant hear tha fan making noise u dumbass jesus tryin make out to be a mug when u clearly dont have a clue

AaronG96 wrote:

thanks.

Funny enough I have a PS3 40gb and that recently packed up had it from release though.
    FERRARI_SPA
    I have a slim PS3 and it's pretty cool. Doesn't have that shiny black surface though :P.

Ether way, you still have a good system. Unfortunetly, the slim doesn't have backwards compatibility (hated that when waiting for GT5, so I bought a PS2 and GT4), but has easier HDD acess to upgrade the HDD.

I probably would've gotten a used one, but I wanted a new one so I actually have a NEW system and not a used fat one.
    Opec1
    Fat 40GB PS3 for 2 years now. Runs like a butterfly. I upgraded the HDD to 320 about a year ago though.
    I don't think you should get a new PS3 unless your current one is acting weird. If it's constantly freezing or having problems, you should probably get a new one.
    Mandell
    Stick with the fat one i have had one for 3 years. Mine had 40GB but changed it to 500GB a year ago. And its still working fine.