17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2010 9:30 AM by kirby` RSS

Possibly in order to play Black Ops...

kirby`
I may need to buy more RAM. I don't have 2GB of ram unfortunately, for my PC wasn't meant to be used for gaming.

I have DDR2, so I was wondering if any 2GB DDR2 RAM would work with my PC (AMD Sempron LE-1200). If not, how do I figure out which 2GB DDR2 RAM would work with my PC?

As I said, I may not need this to play BO considering I'm going to create an FPS config the second I can get my hands on the files, but I still want more RAM regardless.

Help a brother in the gaming industry out.
  • Re: Possibly in order to play Black Ops...

kirby` wrote:

I may need to buy more RAM. I don't have 2GB of ram unfortunately, for my PC wasn't meant to be used for gaming.

I have DDR2, so I was wondering if any 2GB DDR2 RAM would work with my PC (AMD Sempron LE-1200). If not, how do I figure out which 2GB DDR2 RAM would work with my PC?

As I said, I may not need this to play BO considering I'm going to create an FPS config the second I can get my hands on the files, but I still want more RAM regardless.

Help a brother in the gaming industry out.

will that CPU even run it? It's really pushing the limits if it does. Not sure if you'll need two gig, as you're going to be gaming on low settings, due to the cpu.
    KimHan
    I think you'd be better off if you bought a new CPU as well. What kind of GPU do you have? That CPU is ancient man! You should look around and see if some companies sell a package with new motherboard, cpu and ram. Might give you a good deal.
    Nathaniel Greene
    first off, we need RAM speed, coz if your RAM is 667 Mhz and you buy a 2GB 800Mhz kit that will be a waste of money as it will downclock to 667 Mhz

recommended? upgrade your entire system with

Intel core i3 (not as awful as you think) with a high frequency (and of course a properly matching motherboard)
    5770 by ATI or GTS 450 by nVidia
    4 GB DDR3 @ 1066
    and HDD you choose

that shouldn't be a huge upgrade. Alot of components you can keep from your old computer such as case, screen, keyboard mouse, PSU (may need to upgrade to a 500W MINIMUM for the 5770 if you don't have one already)
    Grannyoo3

Nathaniel Greene wrote:

first off, we need RAM speed, coz if your RAM is 667 Mhz and you buy a 2GB 800Mhz kit that will be a waste of money as it will downclock to 667 Mhz

Intel core i3 (not as awful as you think) with a high frequency (and of course a properly matching motherboard)
    4 GB DDR3 @ 1066
    and HDD you choose

that shouldn't be a huge upgrade. Alot of components you can keep from your old computer such as case, screen, keyboard mouse, PSU (may need to upgrade to a 500W MINIMUM for the 5770 if you don't have one already)

450 is not worth it, add a small amount more and go for a 460. Anything under a 5770/460 is a waste of money, small cost difference between the 5550/450 but impacts performance is worth it.
    Nathaniel Greene

Grannyoo3 wrote:

Nathaniel Greene wrote:

4 GB DDR3 @ 1066
    and HDD you choose

450 is not worth it, add a small amount more and go for a 460. Anything under a 5770/460 is a waste of money, small cost difference between the 5550/450 but impacts performance is worth it.

just trying to make it as budget as possible
    kirby`
    I'm very limited when it comes to money at the moment.

As for my RAM speed, I don't know how to check that. I'm not that computer smart, tbh. I have CPU-Z, so if someone could direct me as to where I would find it with that, I can let you know.
    kirby`
    Bump
    Yea we will see what we need soon
    kirby`

Ghost_Shell wrote:

Yea we will see what we need soon

There are already a list of minimal requirements...

This thread really has nothing to do with that anyway.
    kirby`
    http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=DB1C5BE531D926C3

Is this accurate? Should I bother trying out one of those 2GBs below?
    Flames21891
    This will give you info on every part of your system, it's called Piriform Speccy:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Works rather well.
    mikensam
    DDR2 Unbuffered 667mhz / 800mhz or 1066mhz will all work, just find what is the cheapest.

The slowest ram is not always the cheapest. I usually find 800mhz the cheapest cause its the most widely used.
    Well if your pc doesn't even have 2gb of ram, i suggest you save some money and buy a new pc, because i can't imagine you could play any other games on it.
    kirby`

sLAM wrote:

Well if your pc doesn't even have 2gb of ram, i suggest you save some money and buy a new pc, because i can't imagine you could play any other games on it.

I can play Borderlands, Fallout New Vegas, TF2, CoD4, WaW, MW2, and some others on it. lol
    kirby`
    The RAM I was originally looking at was http://www.amazon.com/PNY-MD4096KD2-800-Channel-5-5-5-15-PC2-6400/dp/B001ISJ964 /ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1288916749&sr=8-35

But if I remember correctly, Windows XP 32-bit can only use up to 3 - 3.5GB of RAM. I mean, I could still buy this, but would it still work and just ignore the extra .5 - 1 GB? If not, I could just buy the 2GB version of that.

My RAM speed is 301MHz and the one on Amazon is 800MHz. I could try scoring for 600MHz instead if you think it'd be better for me.
    A: | Fletch
    I suggest before you go run out and buy Memory that you double check with your Manufacturer to see if your PC supports the Memory.
    It may or may not. Check first!
    kirby`
    Well, the one on Amazon and my PC both are DDR2.

Man, I'm so computer stupid