27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 5:02 PM by bluesy_92 RSS

Why there is missing content.

bluesy_92
Most people here already know there is missing content from the game, but don't really know why.

The three missing killstreaks (Gunship, Chopper Gunner, Rocket) are because of rendering problems.  When you have a larger view (such as from a chopper that lets you see the whole map) there is much more to be rendered, more than the Wii can handle without a drop in performance, or the game drawing low-res textures and low-poly models.  It's either framerate or quality, one would have to give.

The Camera Spike is also because of rendering.  Like splitscreen, multiple views are being rendered at the same time.

The emblem editor may be because of what Wii or the engine can handle, but I believe a big part of it is Nintendo.  Remember when they removed the ability to see the emblems of other players on Mario Kart DS becuase of the images some players were making?  Since Nintendo doesn't ban, they remove reasons to ban.  Nintendo and customization don't get along well.

I know we are missing content, but I just want people to know why, so they don't blame Treyarch.  There are limits to what the Wii can do and what Nintendo will allow, and Treyarch has already seemingly pushed past both...they don't have much headroom left.  So, just so everyone knows, we were not ignored.  They put as much effort and content into this game as they possibly could.
  • Re: Why there is missing content.
    wiiwouldlike2play

bluesy_92 wrote:

Most people here already know there is missing content from the game, but don't really know why.

The three missing killstreaks (Gunship, Chopper Gunner, Rocket) are because of rendering problems.  When you have a larger view (such as from a chopper that lets you see the whole map) there is much more to be rendered, more than the Wii can handle without a drop in performance, or the game drawing low-res textures and low-poly models.  It's either framerate or quality, one would have to give.

The Camera Spike is also because of rendering.  Like splitscreen, multiple views are being rendered at the same time.

The emblem editor may be because of what Wii or the engine can handle, but I believe a big part of it is Nintendo.  Remember when they removed the ability to see the emblems of other players on Mario Kart DS becuase of the images some players were making?  Since Nintendo doesn't ban, they remove reasons to ban.  Nintendo and customization don't get along well.

I know we are missing content, but I just want people to know why, so they don't blame Treyarch.  There are limits to what the Wii can do and what Nintendo will allow, and Treyarch has already seemingly pushed past both...they don't have much headroom left.  So, just so everyone knows, we were not ignored.  They put as much effort and content into this game as they possibly could.

megamike360
    five and dead ops are gone...
    wiiwouldlike2play
    Well said, I still like my idea of a USB RAM expansion to eliminate tech problems though.
    bluesy_92

megamike360 wrote:

Dead Ops was an easter egg...not exactly a huge loss.

And I think (not sure) that Five was last-minute, and patched in, basically as free DLC.  Again, I'm not sure, but it seems like the map wasn't overly-detailed and the character voices were made to be intentionally humorous - not as a serious part of the game, but a last-minute consideration.
    megamike360

bluesy_92 wrote:

megamike360 wrote:

And I think (not sure) that Five was last-minute, and patched in, basically as free DLC.  Again, I'm not sure, but it seems like the map wasn't overly-detailed and the character voices were made to be intentionally humorous - not as a serious part of the game, but a last-minute consideration.

It's still a big zombie map that we don't get to play.
    bluesy_92

megamike360 wrote:

bluesy_92 wrote:

megamike360 wrote:

It's still a big zombie map that we don't get to play.

Airsoft''LjL
    They could easily do splitscreen. The other things I understand, If they would have had splitscreen I would have been very happy. Now Im completally disapointed.
    bluesy_92

Airsoft'LjL wrote:

They could easily do splitscreen. The other things I understand, If they would have had splitscreen I would have been very happy. Now Im completally disapointed.

*Facepalm*

Do you know how splitscreen works?  It renders for each players.  That is why the other consoles got from 60FPS in SP to 30FPS in splitscreen.  It's not rendering the field of view for ONE player, but 2-4 players.  As in, 2-4 times as many polygons, 2-4 times as many textures and particle effects, etc.

There are always reasons.
    ETFCas
    I dont believe this crap one bit...
    The reason we are missing stuff on wii BO is cause the game was not finished and not thoroughly tested for bugs etc.
    Wait for it....If Battle Tanks on the N64 can let you use a Guided Missile and had no issues then Wii should be able to render just as well.
    It's all nothing but excuses for an unfinished product that activision itself plans to release DLC in the future and may charge for stuff that should have been in the retail copy to begin with.
    Like lots of others pissed about the situation...I don't like being lied to!
    Nice explanation, it all really makes since too. I don't understand why people still are angry at Treyarch... sure they said everything, but everything can only be done to a certain extent. Take for the fact that the graphics look a hell of a lot better. Was I disappointed when I saw killstreaks and some of the editor stuff was gone, HELL YEA! But you ppl must understand that the wii does have its limits, and Treyarch has always continued to push 'em. Think about it, they have got us voice chat, with ANYone online, and not just with friends. They helped make adding ppl easyier with the ally system. Also, we get DLC, if they get it worked out then maybe they could get the stuff added, only time can tell, but basically it comes down to this, if you arn't happy with what you have, then will you ever truly be happy?

AfroVince
    ETF - Does battletanks use the COD engine?

IT's up to the engine, the specs, and how the engine uses the hardware.

Get some common sense.

Nice post btw, Bluesy!
    capitalism
    I am disapointed, but I understand Treyarch did put alot of effort into this game for wii owners and for that I'm grateful. Just release chopper gunner and gunship for DLC on the wii and I will be a very happy wii gamer. 
    mobey
    It really comes down to one question....if this game was released as a wii only game, with the content it has, would you not think it was the greatest  game ever put out for the wii?

I would and it is.

Great OP
    ETFCas

AfroVince wrote:

Get some common sense.

Nice post btw, Bluesy!

Common sense tells me to take this game back for a refund since MP regardless of what it is missing is not even playable...
    It must be nice to be one of the players to not have an issue with the MP side of it.
    Their are 2 sides to a coin.
    bluesy_92

ETF|Cas wrote:

AfroVince wrote:

Get some common sense.

Nice post btw, Bluesy!

Common sense tells me to take this game back for a refund since MP regardless of what it is missing is not even playable...
    It must be nice to be one of the players to not have an issue with the MP side of it.
    Their are 2 sides to a coin.

If you are talking about the login issues, it's not just us.  PS360 is having the same problems.  But, the servers are getting much better, and many players can play online now that couldn't before.
    GoldonArRow
    You guys have to understand the Wii doesn't have the computing power of the consoles.

That's the reason, Treyarch wanted to include everything that was possible.
    g-manbombeer

GoldonArRow wrote:

You guys have to understand the Wii doesn't have the computing power of the consoles.

Enough with this "underpowered" hogwash.  Yes, some things simply can't happen due to hardware limitations, such as killcam, Valkyrie rockets, camera spike, etc.  Now what about the zombie map "five"? Or how about the flamethrower attachment?  Hardware limitations...Sorry try another excuse.  As I stated in my post regarding zombies concerns, it is a pathetic manner of how to treat Wii owners. The five zombie map not being there for us is an inexcusable act, and a downright dirty way to do us.  No hardware limitations there, and I suggest everyone stop jumping to defend this situation by saying " but they gave us...." I will give credit where credit is due, and they have done a great job with this port, bu I am sick of being cut short when there is no need for it.
    ETFCas

G-MAN BOMBEER wrote:

GoldonArRow wrote:

Enough with this "underpowered" hogwash.  Yes, some things simply can't happen due to hardware limitations, such as killcam, Valkyrie rockets, camera spike, etc.  Now what about the zombie map "five"? Or how about the flamethrower attachment?  Hardware limitations...Sorry try another excuse.  As I stated in my post regarding zombies concerns, it is a pathetic manner of how to treat Wii owners. The five zombie map not being there for us is an inexcusable act, and a downright dirty way to do us.  No hardware limitations there, and I suggest everyone stop jumping to defend this situation by saying " but they gave us...." I will give credit where credit is due, and they have done a great job with this port, bu I am sick of being cut short when there is no need for it.

Amen to that Brother lol^^^
    I am with you there.
    0pposableThumbs
    Just finished the 360 and Wii versions and there are a few differences in the single player campaign.

Boat level on the Wii you drive to a location and get off, 360 you have to take out targets first before you land(also has the Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" playing which isn't in the Wii)

When Mason gets out of the chair at the start of the last level its basically a cutscene on the Wii, 360 you take control of the character.

Final level on the Wii you ride in a chopper for a few seconds than crash on a ship, 360 you have to take out a bunch of targets first than you crash.

Final level when you dive into the ocean as soon as you hit bottom you go straight to the ship, 360 you control the character and swim to the ship

I think a few cutscenes might be shorter as well.

Game froze on me during the beginning cutscene of the final level and the only way I could finish the game was to go to level select, start the last level and skip the cutscene otherwise it would freeze up again 

Think I'll make a video showing the differences .
    surferfelix
    its becuase of the wii remote...
    bluesy_92

0pposableThumbs wrote:

Just finished the 360 and Wii versions and there are a few differences in the single player campaign.

Boat level on the Wii you drive to a location and get off, 360 you have to take out targets first before you land(also has the Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" playing which isn't in the Wii)

When Mason gets out of the chair at the start of the last level its basically a cutscene on the Wii, 360 you take control of the character.

Final level on the Wii you ride in a chopper for a few seconds than crash on a ship, 360 you have to take out a bunch of targets first than you crash.

Final level when you dive into the ocean as soon as you hit bottom you go straight to the ship, 360 you control the character and swim to the ship

I think a few cutscenes might be shorter as well.

Game froze on me during the beginning cutscene of the final level and the only way I could finish the game was to go to level select, start the last level and skip the cutscene otherwise it would freeze up again 

Think I'll make a video showing the differences .

I had a cutscene problem too, and managed to fix it.

Basically, play on a different skill level when you go to level select (I went from Hardened to Regular) and the cutscnene played well for me.  After that, it should work on all 4 skill levels.  Maybe if you even go to another level, because if skill level fixes it, the game level might.  Either way, the cutscene used to freeze on me for Revelations, and works fine now.
    The parts cut out of SP I have played on PC.  Not missing much, they weren't intense enough to set you back, and provided no challenge whatsoever.  Kinda reminds me of Black Cats - wasn't really a problem getting rid of it, as it did little for the story, and was incredibly easy (in fact, on recruit, you could literally do nothing and let the level play itself out.)
    Ragzie
    even though there is missing content i'm still happy with the game
    Krondorian
    I'm picking it up today, preordered it but haven't had a chance to pick it up.  I don't mind missing a few killstreaks that are pretty overpowered to begin with, but I am bummed with the lack of customization, which was the only thing I was really looking forward to that was new with BO.  Previous post mentioned Nintendo being the problem, but truly, they didn't do custom emblems because they couldn't fit it in.  I wish they had, and hopefully they can patch it in DLC, even if it was just for gamercards, that's all I care about, don't need it on the gun. And as for the reticule coloring, its an excuse to say it is the engine or RAM.  If they can make it a gray lens for the default, they can make it a green or red or pink lens as an addition just as easily.  Then again, I'm sure when I log on tonight, I will forget about everything I just said because the game looks freaking amazing lol.  Cheers.
    wprr1010

G-MAN BOMBEER wrote:

GoldonArRow wrote:

I agree with this guy...U JERK face people with ps360 always treat wii owner with Sh!7 loads of DISRESPECT!
    NOT ONLY PS360 BUT PC COMMUNITY T000.
    I cant agree with you on hardware.last years mwr ran at a 30 fps................30 fps is kinda bad is u has 3 smoke grenades in a map........
    But.....
    this game can get facepaint and customizable recticles.Facepaint is okay.recticles cant have the glowly part........kinda lik having custom rectiles in waw.LOLOL
    Maps can be added even if it takes 6 GB i will get it.OR THEY CAN USE A USB!Right?Like in socom 3 and combind assault..rly old game still love it though...tehy had map packs toooo.THEY USED USB T0000000.
    So yah
    denden51

bluesy_92 wrote:

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!
    Now all the noobs can stop complaining. The wii isn't like an xbox, so people should chill
    Krondorian
    I do feel obligated to point out that a Wii disk holds about 5 GB, vs a PS360 is at about 25GB.  So my solution would be to release things like FIVE zombie map as free DLC for Wii owners, then we can just store the map memory on the system and boot it from ingame through the patch.  I will say it again, I am glad they left out the flamethrower it would have been worse than the damn toobs.  Maybe nintendo needs to make an expansion RAM pack for the Wii like they did with the 64 for Donkey Kong and Perfect Dark.  Then we could get the kill streaks and custom emblems.  Also, if JD or anyone else from Treyarch is looking,  Make an online site or page within the COD.com site where Wii users can make a custom emblem on the PC and patch it through to their gamercards on their Wii as DLC.
    bluesy_92

Krondorian wrote:

I do feel obligated to point out that a Wii disk holds about 5 GB, vs a PS360 is at about 25GB.  So my solution would be to release things like FIVE zombie map as free DLC for Wii owners, then we can just store the map memory on the system and boot it from ingame through the patch.  I will say it again, I am glad they left out the flamethrower it would have been worse than the damn toobs.  Maybe nintendo needs to make an expansion RAM pack for the Wii like they did with the 64 for Donkey Kong and Perfect Dark.  Then we could get the kill streaks and custom emblems.  Also, if JD or anyone else from Treyarch is looking,  Make an online site or page within the COD.com site where Wii users can make a custom emblem on the PC and patch it through to their gamercards on their Wii as DLC.

This is only partially true.  PS3 does have more memory than Wii, because it uses blu-ray.  Wii uses "Wii Optical Disc" which is 99% identical to a DVD (some hardware can't read both, which is how Nintendo stopped on-disc backups on newer Wiis...enter USB loaders...) and 360 uses DVD, so they are the same.  My THEORY behind the lack of 'Five' is that it was a last-minute addition.  The lack of seriousness and simplistic environments, along with no factor in the Zombies plot make me believe it was not planned when they started making the Zombie mode.  If it is last minute, the content would need to be re-made for Wii, and may not make the final cut.  Time or hardware can cause lack of content, but on-disc size shouldn't be an issue.