31 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2010 6:21 PM by TJSR921 RSS

Please fix the footsteps -  for real

lawson466
Ninja is still completely useless in any game but FFA and search.   And in FFA it's *almost* useless.

Quality sound is a hallmark of COD.  Please PLEASE fix the footsteps.  For real this time.

For example - why are teammates footsteps 10X louder than enemies?  Shouldn't it be the same?  Or even opposite?

Why can't you hear a lightweight/marathon user running at full sprint on a metal platform 10 feet away?   In FFA SOMETIMES you can.  But many times you can't.

please PLEASE PLEASE fix the sound.
  • Re: Please fix the footsteps -  for real
    urza
    Agreed, but I'm afraid it's the best we're gonna get.

Slightly off topic: does the boost from ninja pro works better to hear enemy footsteps? Otherwise I won't bother to get it pro.
    TheBigC15
    Do not worry, my friend. They are working on a patch as we speak
    lawson466
    No, Ninja pro does not make the footsteps louder.  It makes the other sounds (like reloading ) louder.  Which sometimes helps (but very seldom) and only on a dead quiet map.  I've had Ninja Pro since day 1.  It was a major disappointment.
    payneinc85
    They have already released an audio adjustment in the lastest update. Are you sure there working on another one? I havent heard anything about this.
    iidarkshadowoo
    The sound quality is excellent. There's no silly little elephant footsteps. 
    Dulu
    One of the developers released a comment saying this was intended to "Prevent Sound-Whoring".

They dont want people to actually use their brains, or any senses other than their sight while playing.

Kind of a joke really.
    Assassinator010
    I see no problem with the footsteps...
    rustypro
    lol well jd said, "their not making it to other cod standards for sound whores, so adapt."
    DarkFlagg
    Footsteps were just patched. I can effortlessly listen to them and hear enemy locations, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Teammate footsteps are still loud as hell, but I have no problem listening to enemy footsteps. I love Ninja Pro.

One thing I have to say about the footsteps is that I can hear my footsteps when I crouch and sometimes they're not silent depending on what type of surface I'm running over, for example the bricks inside the broken buildings in Cracked, I can still hear myself moving around with Ninja Pro on.
    urza

DarkFlagg wrote:

Footsteps were just patched. I can effortlessly listen to them and hear enemy locations, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Teammate footsteps are still loud as hell, but I have no problem listening to enemy footsteps. I love Ninja Pro.

One thing I have to say about the footsteps is that I can hear my footsteps when I crouch and sometimes they're not silent depending on what type of surface I'm running over, for example the bricks inside the broken buildings in Cracked, I can still hear myself moving around with Ninja Pro on.

Vahn said they will fix this in the next update. You can hear your footsteps on these surfaces when crouched, but the enemy can't.
    Is there a difference in hearing enemy footsteps in Ninja and Ninja Pro? Since you have tested it out after the patch..

Thanks!
    sound whoring is an excuse for crappy audio
    y aint my campaign great audio! ohh wait treyarch felt like being lazy and put sub par audio in a fps
    i know people dont have turtle beaches or astro sometimes but god X11 are 60$ and quite honestly if u cant spend 60$ then u prob not old enought to play this game in the first place.

Sp audio blows
    Mp audio blows
    Zombies audio blows
    and how do u sound whore on zmbies or sp?

3arc let us down on this.

and im tired of hearing about the owner of treyarch having personal vendettas against things that probly gets him killed.
    becasue he wanted to run quickly in mw2 and got killed by a guy with turtle beaches hes taking it out on us. IF U DONT LIKE SOUND WHORES USE NINJA PRO

IW MADE IT FOR A REASON
    NINJA PRO IS THE SOLUTION
    WaWisMyBaby
    u cant really sound whore. i have a pair of turtle beaches and ill agree its hard to hear them, but people cant really sit in a corner and wait to here some one run by.

WaWisMyBaby wrote:

u cant really sound whore. i have a pair of turtle beaches and ill agree its hard to hear them, but people cant really sit in a corner and wait to here some one run by.

CAMPER ALERT         
    DEFCON 1!

if u camped with TBs in mw2 then you suked with TBs

and BO has turned into a 24/7 camp fest
    Sledge H.
    After the update, im hearing footsteps. Last night, i heard the bomb being armed, ran to the scene, heard the dude running in to a corner, blasted him and disarmed the bomb. All within comfortable listening levels
    All Ze Jews
    In cod4, waw and mw2 I could here enemies around me with my tv speakers. In BO I cant here them with my headset or surround sound. (unless its at earbleeding level on s&d) They nerfed it TOO MUCH!
    lawson466
    To those that say you can hear footsteps just fine.  Two questions.

1)  Are you running on PS3 or XBOX?  I'm starting to wonder if there might be some difference.   They may have turned up the XBOX sound levels to quiet the big name youtube commentators that were bashing BO.  But left PS3 in the dust.  Just wondering because I know I can barely hear footsteps in FFA,  and then definitely not as consistently as I should.  And other's are complaining as well,  so there must be something to it.  Forget using sound in TDM or any other "noisy" mode.

2) Do you hear footsteps all the time?  When wearing a headset,  have you ever had a non-ninja user run up behind you and not hear them?  Again, just wondering.  Because one of the main problems is the footsteps are very inconsistent.   Sometimes they are pretty loud.  Sometimes - on the same surface - they can't be heard.   Running makes your footsteps drop out too.
    topbunkdd89
    well i like it so this losers are not sound whoreing and actually have to use skill to play the game
    lawson466

lawson466 wrote:

1)  Are you running on PS3 or XBOX?  I'm starting to wonder if there might be some difference.   They may have turned up the XBOX sound levels to quiet the big name youtube commentators that were bashing BO.  But left PS3 in the dust.  Just wondering because I know I can barely hear footsteps in FFA,  and then definitely not as consistently as I should.  And other's are complaining as well,  so there must be something to it.  Forget using sound in TDM or any other "noisy" mode.

2) Do you hear footsteps all the time?  When wearing a headset,  have you ever had a non-ninja user run up behind you and not hear them?  Again, just wondering.  Because one of the main problems is the footsteps are very inconsistent.   Sometimes they are pretty loud.  Sometimes - on the same surface - they can't be heard.   Running makes your footsteps drop out too.

Anyone? (with a non-troll, mature,  constructive comment)
    FOREVERpokemon

lawson466 wrote:

On the 360, I can hear people running close to me, but not far away, this is with ninja pro. without it I can't hear anything. but even with it, it does not help much, mw2 was so much better.
    LetJimiTakeOver

Moe Joe King wrote:

and BO has turned into a 24/7 camp fest

Try playing some domination. While there are still some campers, it's nowhere near as bad as TDM/ FFA.

Campers have ruined those two game modes.
    nba23airjordan
    I don't really have a problem with footsteps, I really thought that Ninja Pro would eliminate the ridiculous grunting every time I climb on to something.  Completely Silent to me means the grunting when I climb a box or a ledge should be be eliminated. What is the point of silently running up to a guy only to be given away when I climb on to a box to get at him?
    SixSquared

lawson466 wrote:

I'm playing on Xbox, and even after the patch i'm still finding it hard to hear people. Yes, it is so much better than before, but it's still nowhere near great. To be able to hear someone planting or defusing, I have to be in the same room as them and about 3 feet away from them. I can hear people pull nades and reload, again, only close. But footsteps, I can barely hear, my X31s have to be on incredibly high for me to even be able to hear people behind me, and even so, sometimes people without ninja I can never hear, even if they're running on metal. Ugh.
    hobbsy776
    I hope they fix it cause im getn turtle beaches for christmas and ill be able to hear you across the map                
    Sane Hedrone
    I don't mind the footsteps noise.

What I do mind is the inconsistency. There have been times when I'll hear a guy 20 feet away, and take him out with ease. And yet other times, a guy will be truckin' behind me, and I won't hear anything (he wasn't using ninja, BTW).

All of these happen on a fairly frequent basis, and it's rather annoying. I think Treyarch needs to focus now on patching (aside from other things) the consistency of the noise, rather than having footsteps be non existent sometimes, and very audible the others.
    lawson466

Sane Hedrone wrote:

I don't mind the footsteps noise.

What I do mind is the inconsistency. There have been times when I'll hear a guy 20 feet away, and take him out with ease. And yet other times, a guy will be truckin' behind me, and I won't hear anything (he wasn't using ninja, BTW).

All of these happen on a fairly frequent basis, and it's rather annoying. I think Treyarch needs to focus now on patching (aside from other things) the consistency of the noise, rather than having footsteps be non existent sometimes, and very audible the others.

That's what I'm seeing too.  If you play combat training (as a test) - if you're upstairs in the house - you can sometimes hear bots in the back yard.  Other times you need to be within 10 feet of them to hear them.  I've followed them around at recruit level (when they hardly ever shoot you) and tried to figure out what causes it.  All I can say is - it seems really buggy.
    CrazyRedDevil
    Yea I've got Trittons and its just unbalanced how some footsteps vary. There should be a standard for the noise.
    However, Ninja Pro really does make a difference in lowering your footsteps.
    angrycarrot
    Sound whoring? That's like saying I shouldn't own a 42" 1080p Samsung LCD/LED t.v. because it would be unfair to people with an 18" RCA piece of ****.

Visual whoring?

What's the point of hearing myself crouch walk? What's the point of hearing myself crawl on the ground? What's the point of hearing enemy foot steps if they've already knifed me? What's the point of hearing myself scream out "RELOADING" (only SOMETIMES) if I've got ghost and ninja on and I'm trying to flank the enemy?

Even without ninja, you can still be silent. There's a reason you have the crouch button.

Fix the damn audio. Don't fine tune it. FIX. IT. I have Astro A40's. You know, the head sets the pros use at those tournaments? And I can't hear a damn thing.

My KDR is 2.77. I don't suck. I'm just gonna' quit playing this game until the audio is fixed. And just leave sniping alone. Let people quick scope. It's not like they can kill you in one hit anyways. Sniping is already worthless without it getting nerfed all the time.

Thanks.
    lawson466
    Thanks for the feedback.  All we can do I guess is keep up the complaining.  I saw where the headset manufacturers have contacted 3arc asking what was going on.  My guess is they will have more clout than some randoms on the forum.  I'm a little disappointed that big youtube commentators like woody and wings have stopped complaining about this with the 1.03 patch.  It can't be working any better for them than for us.  I know they have a vested interest in BO succeeding.  But they've never seemed at a loss to call one like they see them.  I wish they would keep up the pressure.

Lets try to keep this at the top of the forums.  It's my largest complaint.  It adds too much randomness to the game.  Which always favors the below average players and hurts the above average players.  That's what randomness does in any game - it narrows the spread between skilled and non-skilled players (look up game theory if you don't know what I'm talking about).
    lawson466
    Bump.  Stay on the mini-map.
    cod vietnam
    stop camping and start playing the game

the elephant footsteps from mw2 are gone, bravo treyarch
    TJSR921
    I couldn't hear any enemy footsteps before the patch but ever since...I can hear them within a reasonable distance - ONLY if I'm not moving around myself (haven't been using Ninja yet).  I'd say around a corner or maybe with 20 feet of my character if they are sprinting.  To me that's a little more realistic than MW2 - but I still don't like how your teammates footsteps are louder than the enemies.

I play on a 360 with an LCD and surround sound system.  I usually play at night so I keep the volume on a low-medium level - about an 18 versus movies where it's twice as loud @ 36.  I actually find it distracting when the whole house shakes, but if no one's home, I might turn it up a notch or two.  So under audio settings, it's under "theater" and loudness or whatever it is - set to "low". I turned the music volume down to about 50% but kept overall sound and special effects at 100%.

It's better than pre-patch, not the same as MW2, but if I was just using the TV's speakers, I probably wouldn't even notice the difference.