37 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 9:19 PM by iil4zyii RSS

To Prestige or Not to Prestige.

Officeboylol
Hi All,

Apologies if there are topics already out there in regards to what my subject say's but anyway. Is there any point in me opting to prestige if I do not really care for “gold camo” or “uber facepaints” and an extra class? I prestiged once on MW2 both on Xbox and 360 and the extra class really didn’t change much for me…

I have been lvl 50 now for about a week and just feel there is no need to lose everything again and start a fresh just for camo, face paint,extra class and to have a cool prestige emblem which im sure some people makes them think they are better than people that haven’t/don’t prestige…

Unless I am missing something else that you get for it that can actually be used as some sort of game changer???
  • Re: To Prestige or Not to Prestige.
    wilzaaan
    Dont do it, waste of time
    DEATHPROOF
    not much to look forward to in prestige

well prestige team death match is fun, very different from normal TDM its a pity you get litlle points for it.
    PredatorSOM
    I prestige because i like to make a lot of different classes.
    If they actually gave us all the classes i wouldn't prestige at all.
    v_Nine_v
    Im at level 50 right now... about 15k xp from maxin it out... im doing it for one custom class then im done, only because Id like an extra class for hardcore, otherwise I dont see a point in doing it more!
    PopeTheDummy
    Honestly, there's nothing major to gain from prestiging besides new custom class slots and, if you're into it, the gold camo at 14. Having said that, though, my biggest reason for wanting to go through with all 15 is that it's just fun to level up and complete challenges again, and I'm a sucker for earning those tiny little emblems next to my gamertag.
    B1aze23
    Everyone has their own preference to this, mine is that I always hit the prestige button when I can for 1 sole reason. It can get really boring!
    I don't do it for extra slots/camos/etc. I do it because I like getting the in-game achievements, I like to see my points build up and strive to get up another level, it keeps me interested.
    I stayed on lvl 55 1st prestige on CoD4 for about a month but got really bored because I wasn't unlocking anything and didn't get those pop-ups when you did something impressive or had a good round.
    So it's entirely up to you on what direction to go, personal preference, but I thought I'd share my reason to give you another view on it.
    Hope it helps.
    inteN
    It depends on your own preference. I like to prestige because I find it more entertaining than sitting at level 50. I can strive to rank, and prestige. Then of course there's that Gold Camo' that I'm looking forward to. I don't know why. But I just think it'd be awesome to be holding a gold AK.
    lyrical lies 7
    im the same way 
    Prop
    The reason I prestige, is to re-fresh the game if you like.  Using the same classes constantly grows boring.  If you prestige, you lose your perk pros and everything, so you start a fresh for a bit of a challenge etc.
    MadeFadee
    I've prestiged once so far, thought it would be cool to see how much money i can earn. Would of been nice if you could buy extra slots, golden camo for say like a million cod points. But you can't so i maybe prestiging again tonight.
    i suk at SNIPING
    The reason that i prestige is because of the thrill of getting that next higher level. if you don't prestige, BO's gunna get boring REAL fast.
    Phobia3472
    You're going to get bored if you don't.
    MoNaRcH40
    It's not for everyone, so if you don't want to Prestige... then Don't.  That simple.
    I for one, like to work my way up. Also, I like the additional "Custom Classes" added as you get higher.

Oh yeah, one other thing, once you reach 50 lvl and decide NOT to Prestige.... that's fine, but if you change your mind one day and decide to go another level up (or Prestige) how much experience was wasted sitting at 50 level?
    I say Prestige, not for the extra class, or camo, but for the adventure once again. I'd get bored if I just stayed at level 50 for the rest of my "career" in multiplayer.

That's me though, I feel good though when I own people like you who don't prestige because they like their commando (not talking ****, just saying it's more of an adventure and fun for some)

MatUK.8

Officeboylol wrote:

I prestiged once on MW2 both on Xbox and 360 and the extra class really didn’t change much for me…

I don't get it. You has MW2 for original Xbox? How?

Anyways, I would prestige. One MW I didn't do it for a long time and then I got bored. On MW2 I prestiged as soon as I could everytime. It keeps the game fresh and you always get everything back. The problem with not prestiging is that you aren't gaining anything. What is the point of earning XP if it does nothing for you. I do admit that in Black Ops though you atleast keep earning CRs but even that gets to a point where you don't need them anymore.
    im prestigeing

look at what you lose guns you can easily get them back

perks get all of them at 5

lethal tactical equipment all at 4

you dont lose much and what you do lose you get back quick its not that hard and i like the emblems ive seen for 1st and 2nd prestige its worth it
    bealsarMosJR
    I like to prestige because of the challenges, to compete with other friends, and just to have fun. Like others said, its fun to see the challenges pop up and be like "F*** YEAH!!" I also like using different classes and gametypes each prestige, do something different each prestige.
    Steeltrix

Prop wrote:

The reason I prestige, is to re-fresh the game if you like.  Using the same classes constantly grows boring.  If you prestige, you lose your perk pros and everything, so you start a fresh for a bit of a challenge etc.

Yeah it does get boring once you've maxed at 50. I know from playing MW2 that it got boring and there wasnt much point other than gaining another class. Also with everyone boosting it seemed pointless to me. On this game though its been fun prestiging and I've only seen 3rd prestige since the games release (i'm close to 3rd myself).

Besides, I know I'll be playing this game until next November, best time to pristige is now imo.
    sehrhart
    I will prestige after a while maybe in a month or two . But not  now there is no point. If you play objective type games you will notice the 2nd 3rd and so on prestigers are the ones with a a$$ of kills but no captures, defuses no wonder it gets boring they do the same thing over and over again. There are plenty of things to do on this game to keep it fresh. Prestiging just  dosnt mean what it should.
    That's their playstyles tho, that isnt every prestiger, I prestige and play demo and sabotage constantly, i like going for challenges so i plant constantly using ninja and that.

It's all different but to each their own, I'd get bored at 50 and feel like i wasted time if i stayed at it and then prestiged. Just me tho.

Either way good luck. 
    MadeFadee
    But you could be the richest BO player alive :P 10000000000000000000 cod coins. I'm going for it.
    Prestiging is retarded on black oops, there's really no incentive, and some of the things you have to do to unlock pro perks are extremely frustrating, not fun like mw2. Plus, by the time you reach lvl 50, most of the challenges that give you the most xp no longer even matter because its jsut dead xp. So sure you'll get like 750 kills with so and so weapon, but after that, the high 10k xp's and stuff dont even count, so all you're doing is completing them jsut to say COMPLETE. 'tarded. They throw entirely too much xp at you anyways thats its so eays to get to prestige in the first place, Im almost 7th now and bored as hell, and mad at every time I've prestiged at all the dumb stuff you have to do to re-unlock pro perks. Its all a matter of choice though. If you like doing it over and over then go for it. If you like having everything unlocked and dont really care about gold camo (the only REAL reason I can see prestiging that high) then dont.

mmartin
    I feel out of all the COD games, since COD4, Black Ops is the easiest to Prestige for me. Especially due to the fact you level up so fast and you can pretty much buy all the perks you want very early on. It's not like you have to give up an awesome perk until level 20 or 25.

As for the Pro Perks, I find them all fairly easy to get and also fun to get again.
    Prestige don't be a try hard and just do it.

MMartin wrote:

I feel out of all the COD games, since COD4, Black Ops is the easiest to Prestige for me. Especially due to the fact you level up so fast and you can pretty much buy all the perks you want very early on. It's not like you have to give up an awesome perk until level 20 or 25.

As for the Pro Perks, I find them all fairly easy to get and also fun to get again.

I feel the same way, prestigeing feels fairly easy. I prestiged in 9 days and I'm already level 27 only playing for a few hours, the first time through it felt like it took forever but now I'm getting like 2-3 levels a game.
    machine66
    i kept saying i wasnt going to prestige in this game but when it comes down to it a always do ive just prestiged for the second time.
    TJSR921
    Had this dilemma yesterday/last night...wasn't sure if I wanted to go through the grind again.  Takes me about 30hrs to prestige...just went ahead and did it since I want another 1 or 2 custom classes.  To me it's much easier to prestige than in MW2.  And since the game is still "fresh" to me - I don't mind it.  I know what weapons/perks work for me, but going through it another couple of times, gives me a chance to try things I ignored in previous level-ups.

There is one thing I didn't realize though before going into my 2nd prestige is that the prestige leaderboard - you have to pay another 50K COD pts to open it AGAIN...it's not like you pay it once and you always have access to it.  You need to pay each time you prestige.  Not really worth it in my opinion.  Maybe if I was able to put up godly stats - but I'm just average.
    The Holy Ghost3d
    Done it twice already, not worth it. But I did it anyway. Game is so boring.
    essentre
    I personally don't see any real point to it. The only thing I would really want is the classified face paints and after seeing those, I wasn't impressed at all. I've got my joker... or should I say jester face paint so I'm happy!

That being said I might just do it anyways. I use the m16 90% of the time, so I wouldn't really be hurting for weapons. I guess I'll have to see.
    essentre
    I personally don't see any real point to it. The only thing I would really want is the classified face paints and after seeing those, I wasn't impressed at all. I've got my joker... or should I say jester face paint so I'm happy!

That being said I might just do it anyways. I use the m16 90% of the time, so I wouldn't really be hurting for weapons. I guess I'll have to see.
    Sir Buttons
    I'm the complete opposite of most of you guys. Interesting viewpoints.

To me, there is no point NOT to prestige. Treyarch has taken away all incentive to resist prestiging by allowing everything to be unlocked through cP. I would never prestige in MW and MW2 because of all the camos you worked for. Earning camos with your headshots was actually a pretty big accomplishment in the game and prestiging took away well, your weapons prestige. If there was some for of challenge that you could unlock something special through hard work, then maybe I wouldn't prestige. But as it is, you can buy everything you'd want (except for higher prestige items). I might as well prestige to earn the few things that it does get me. I really don't mind losing my weapons for a few hours as they can be quickly earned back.

That's just how I view things.
    There is not reason NOT to prestige. Why not keep progressing, it's an accurate representation of how much time you have put into the game. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't prestige?
    Potassium99mg
    My opinion: prestige is completely pointless. Just wait till all the hackers from MW2 figure out how to prestige 15 in like 5 minutes. Prestige was a way to show rank and skill. Now its pointless, the added benefits don't do much unless you like more classes and customising (probably spelled that wrong, half asleep) stuff for you guns/camo/facepaint/tag.

If i prestige its when i stop playing after i reach lvl whatever and play again later so i can have a fresh start
    xi1ed 1
    Im sure I will when I get there, I will miss some of the guns that are unlockable at higher levels tho (AK-47 & Commando)
    The Holy Ghost3d
    You have to wait until lvl 27 until you unlock the only decent sniper. Thats my only reason I stayed at prestige 1 so long. Have 2200 kills with that piece of crap. I think the prestige mode should've been like the prestige style in red dead redemption. The more times you prestige the lower level you unlock things.

example:
    1st prestige unlock L96 @ lvl 25
    2nd unlock L96 @ lvl 22
    3rd unlock L96 @ lvl 20 ect...

Would also give you a slight advantage over lower prestige players. Thus giving us more of an incentive to keep prestiging.
    Burieddiamond83

Don't do it!!

iil4zyii

I say do it. Although everyone has their own preference for doing it. Whether its starting a new from scratch for the thrill, extra custom classes, face paint, golden camo, or a pretty new prestige icon.

Honestly i did it for all of the above, main reason was that i wanted a prestige symbol that i liked. It was between 2nd, 5th, 10th, 13th, and 14th. I was going to stop at 10th but i later found out that at 11th-you got new face paint, then at 13th-colored clan tags, and 14th-golden guns. I opted to stop at 14th because i did like the symbol and by the time i realized it i had gotten all the other incentives. Didnt like 15th and the fact that they gave you a crappy animated title didnt help them trying to get me to go 15th.

Its your choice whether or not to prestige. But you should consider the fact that once you have everything and have nothing to work for the game loses its edge. Also dont let crappy players pressure you into prestiging because they think unless your prestiged that "you're bad" theres plenty of 15th prestige players that have 30days and are still horrible at the game