26 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 7:14 AM by RazerDeadBullet RSS

Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life

Because snipers carry extremely high powered weapons with a slow rate of fire. In real life snipers stand no chance quickscoping, because guns are A LOT heavier than you expect. When I first held a real 22. calibre bold action rifle, it was a lot heavier than i expected, and it contains only one TINY bullet. Now imagine how much heavier military grade sniper rifles would be- you cant quickscope. And even if you could quickscope in real life, the recoil for each shot would prevent you from firing 2 shots in less than 3 seconds. And if you "quickscope" someone in real life with a sniper rifle, there is no guarantee he will die in the first shot- he will probably kill you while you are trying to fire the second shot. And to give you a feel of how long "3 seconds" is count 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi 3 Mississippi, and you will understand what I'm saying by high powered rifle

The ONLY reason you can quickscope in FPS games is because people die in a set amount of bullets in videogames. In real life, they could die in 1,2 or even 3 hits. There is no SET guarantee. And in the time you are firing the next shot, they WILL kill you.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Shinji Ex
    You'd break your shoulder quickly pulling the sniper rifle up and shooting it over and over much less your accuracy would be poor
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Xswordy
    You know...you are on the forum of a game right now...is called Call Of Duty , kinda has nothing to do with real life.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    have you seen karen?
    Now make a thread called "Why bullets DON'T fly at 45 degree angles out of the barrel of a sniper rifle in real life"

    Your point is moot.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Forsedar
    Snipers in real life are nearly invisible. My grandpa was a marine sniper and there are pictures of him... well it just looks like landscape. Anyways, you'd just be scoped in on a giant area and IF you needed someone dead... he would be dead before he even heard the gunshot. Pointless thread is pointless.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    tapper101
    I'm going to call this thread dumb.

    This is a FPS game, not a realistic game at all. It's closer to an arcade style FPS than a realistic one.

    What's next, gonna prove how one can't regenerate health in real life? Or how shotguns have a longer range than 15 yd in real life? Gonna prove how there's no such thing as Semtex and tactical insertion? The Semtex is a sci-fi grenade taken from Halo. It's funny how it doesn't stick to your hand but to your enemy.
    Use your brain.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Turdis250
    Its a video game shut up your an idiot. Noone asked for your "expertise".. An where are you pulling thes stats fom anyway, you not an expert shut up. And if you are i reffer to my first 4 words " its a video game".
    You also dont get killstreaks in real life, you also dont get special abilities that allow you to see claymores thru walls....
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Temzilla

    DeadOperator wrote:

     

    Because snipers carry extremely high powered weapons with a slow rate of fire. In real life snipers stand no chance quickscoping, because guns are A LOT heavier than you expect. When I first held a real 22. calibre bold action rifle, it was a lot heavier than i expected, and it contains only one TINY bullet. Now imagine how much heavier military grade sniper rifles would be- you cant quickscope. And even if you could quickscope in real life, the recoil for each shot would prevent you from firing 2 shots in less than 3 seconds. And if you "quickscope" someone in real life with a sniper rifle, there is no guarantee he will die in the first shot- he will probably kill you while you are trying to fire the second shot. And to give you a feel of how long "3 seconds" is count 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi 3 Mississippi, and you will understand what I'm saying by high powered rifle

    The ONLY reason you can quickscope in FPS games is because people die in a set amount of bullets in videogames. In real life, they could die in 1,2 or even 3 hits. There is no SET guarantee. And in the time you are firing the next shot, they WILL kill you.



    No but really, why can't you quick scope in the game?
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Interweb
    You are firing digital representations of guns that are nothing like their real life counterparts. They have stats and numbers assigned to them for purposes of game balance. The developers of this game decided that quickscoping was stupid, but regenerating heath was not, despite both being unrealistic. This is a video game, for your entertainment only.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    have you seen karen?

    Interweb wrote:

     

    You are firing digital representations of guns that are nothing like their real life counterparts. They have stats and numbers assigned to them for purposes of game balance. The developers of this game decided that quickscoping was stupid, but regenerating heath was not, despite both being unrealistic. This is a video game, for your entertainment only.



    Might I add that the G11 has a 425 rpm fire rate in real life?
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Temzilla

    Interweb wrote:

     

    You are firing digital representations of guns that are nothing like their real life counterparts. They have stats and numbers assigned to them for purposes of game balance. The developers of this game decided that quickscoping was stupid, but regenerating heath was not, despite both being unrealistic. This is a video game, for your entertainment only.



    You use the phrase game balance, but do you really think snipers are close to being balanced with assault rifles or lmg's or smg's?
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    arthas125
    OP: thanks captain obvious
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Interweb

    Temzilla wrote:

     



    You use the phrase game balance, but do you really think snipers are close to being balanced with assault rifles or lmg's or smg's?



    Presently? No. I think snipers should have less sway, and that there should be bullet travel time. This would encourage people to keep moving when under sniper fire, and would make snipers more powerful at 50-100 yard ranges while keeping them balanced at long ranges. That is my option, based entirely on game balance. Adding quickscoping would not make them balanced, just gimmicky.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Temzilla

    Interweb wrote:

     

    Temzilla wrote:

     



    You use the phrase game balance, but do you really think snipers are close to being balanced with assault rifles or lmg's or smg's?



    Presently? No. I think snipers should have less sway, and that there should be bullet travel time. This would encourage people to keep moving when under sniper fire, and would make snipers more powerful at 50-100 yard ranges while keeping them balanced at long ranges. That is my option, based entirely on game balance. Adding quickscoping would not make them balanced, just gimmicky.



    Bullet Travel Time would make sniping harder than it is now.

    Actually it would make it pretty useless :/
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Interweb

    Temzilla wrote:

     



    Bullet Travel Time would make sniping harder than it is now.

    Actually it would make it pretty useless :/



    Only at very far ranges. Look at Bad Company 2, they did sniping great. That game had bullet travel time and drop, but because of the pacing of the game, it was both challenging and effective. If you add bullet travel time to snipers in Blops, it would encourage people to sniper closer so it's easier, and by reducing sway (and reducing it even further with scout) it would really increase effectiveness at a long, but not cross map, range. You would be putting snipers in a position where there are better at the long ranges where the other guns start to drop off, but discourage people from just sitting at the far corner of the map the whole round.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Temzilla

    Interweb wrote:

     

    Only at very far ranges. Look at Bad Company 2, they did sniping great. That game had bullet travel time and drop, but because of the pacing of the game, it was both challenging and effective. If you add bullet travel time to snipers in Blops, it would encourage people to sniper closer so it's easier, and by reducing sway (and reducing it even further with scout) it would really increase effectiveness at a long, but not cross map, range. You would be putting snipers in a position where there are better at the long ranges where the other guns start to drop off, but discourage people from just sitting at the far corner of the map the whole round.




    Point is, there is no place for bullet drop or travel time in Call of Duty.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    tehschmo
    I can't believe someone made a thread like this. Call of Duty is NOT real life, its a video game. We play to have fun. We do not care one bit if you can quickscope in real life or not.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Interweb

    Temzilla wrote:

     

    Interweb wrote:

     

    Only at very far ranges. Look at Bad Company 2, they did sniping great. That game had bullet travel time and drop, but because of the pacing of the game, it was both challenging and effective. If you add bullet travel time to snipers in Blops, it would encourage people to sniper closer so it's easier, and by reducing sway (and reducing it even further with scout) it would really increase effectiveness at a long, but not cross map, range. You would be putting snipers in a position where there are better at the long ranges where the other guns start to drop off, but discourage people from just sitting at the far corner of the map the whole round.




    Point is, there is no place for bullet drop or travel time in Call of Duty.



    I think right now there is no nice fitting place for snipers in Blops. They aren't good enough to use them over an FAL, G11, or M14. I'm just brainstorming how to fix this. I think the best way would be to show them as designated 100 yard-ish weapons, which adds, lets say, a .1 - .2 second travel time. Not much worse then what lag is, and at a fair range. I could lead a target for a .2 travel time, that's easy. If someone is sniping all the way at the back of the map, assuming 400 yards, let's say we add a full second, so nearly impossible to hit a moving target. So it encourages people to snipe at reasonable ranges, but without nerfing them entirely.

    How else can we make snipers better? Well, we could remove them entirely, and replace them with DMRs (Designated Marksmen Rifles) like the aforementioned single shot and burst fire assault rifles with optional rifle scopes. Or maybe you have a better suggestion?
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Spartan_Throne
    Why were you arguments for realism so...... unrealistic?

    Ok, fine, you can have absolute reaslism for snipers, and with that, I want EVERY no-scope to shoot at the exact centre of my screen. Deal?

    (BTW, snipers can't compete in this game, if you think otherwise, you're on crack)
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    have you seen karen?

    Interweb wrote:

     

    Temzilla wrote:

     



    You use the phrase game balance, but do you really think snipers are close to being balanced with assault rifles or lmg's or smg's?



    Presently? No. I think snipers should have less sway, and that there should be bullet travel time. This would encourage people to keep moving when under sniper fire, and would make snipers more powerful at 50-100 yard ranges while keeping them balanced at long ranges. That is my option, based entirely on game balance. Adding quickscoping would not make them balanced, just gimmicky.



    Quickscoping is a tool for staying alive in close range confrontations. It does not abuse aim assist, it takes a good amount of skill, and it is in no way unbalanced.

    inb4 shotguns vs sniper
    inb4 damage at close range should be 30
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    homestyle
    this thread wins.

    the OP doesn't bring up the...

    1. see through walls and see the claymore.
    2. Teammates and yourself never trip your claymores.
    3. No bullet drop.
    4. infinite mags as long as you have bullets...

    the list goes on and on, yet the most realistic feature, using the top of your scope as a makeshift iron sight to shoot in CQB is an issue. awesome!
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Interweb

    have you seen karen? wrote:

     



    Quickscoping is a tool for staying alive in close range confrontations. It does not abuse aim assist, it takes a good amount of skill, and it is in no way unbalanced.

    inb4 shotguns vs sniper
    inb4 damage at close range should be 30



    The game developers have already explained their distaste for quickscoping, so I think it's fair to assume that that will not be a good option to balance sniping. Also, the issue is that snipers are ineffective at mid-long range confrontation, which is supposed to be their strong suit. Adding quickscoping wouldn't help this.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    SonicMann
    Well, with all honesty you sir are an idiot, because if cod was based on real life mechanics nobody would play it, you would have wind speed and direction, distance being told to you so you can hit the shot, this is a GAME not real life, and also do you really expect us to carry a 50 calibur sniper rifle in real life? Its possible, but you cant SPRINT around with it and kill people in real life, nobody could handle that..so with that being said i will once again say you are an idiot, if you want a real game go try snipe NOOBZ IN AFGHANISTAN. K
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    Mantrah
    Oh, I think you're in the wrong forum. You should try googling the navy for their forums and post this there.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    DropDragon
    Realism sucks. Balance rules.

    And balance says that Qs is only bad up close. At far it's just getting the job done quickly like it should be.
  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    RazerDeadBullet

    You can quickscope. you can pull a full auto assault rifle up fast to shoot, just because snipers have scopes mean nothing, Snipers are heavy but if you was a spacial service soldier, say SAS or Navy Seals. you are pushed to be strong and fast as possible, I am sure a few times these types of soldiers have "quick scoped" to survive, the trick is in real like if you are close enough you don't need to look down the scope.

    sniper rifles are just like single shot iron sight assault rifles, just a little heavier and scoped.

     

    but heres the thing, real soldiers on a game will not moan like a ***** about getting quickscoped on CoD, its a war game, and its only because your lack of skill to kill a quickscoper do you moan.

     

    I have never meet a skilled player who says quickscoping is unskilled and unreal. and I have meet hundreds of thousands of players. only the bad player moan at quickscoping

  • Re: Why you CAN'T quickscope in real life
    RazerDeadBullet

    Sniper rifles are usable as bolt action assault rifles when unscoped. and Sniper rifles such as the Ballista weigh only 7 Kg, and you can change the barrel of the Ballista in real life changing the how you would use it.

    Quickscoping is real, But no one trained to just "quickscope" in real life.

     

    Remember MW1 the first mission? set up a assault course like this and go slow and walk around and snip each target at a speed you feel comfortable then try again cutting 10 seconds of the time, do this again and again and you will find you can do it, jumping right to quickscoping will result is injures but slow practice makes perfect