14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2010 9:43 PM by WarPig RSS

"Curving Bullets"

i7vsa7vi7y
Curving bullets as i like to call them. Let me explain what i mean by that.
Basically if you run behind a wall to get cover and someone is shooting you before you reach the wall.
Your character will go about 5feet in the safe zone behind that wall then die.
Now i understand yes bullets go through walls Hardened blah blah.
But there has been multiple multiple times where i get shot once,go behind a wall then die.
I can be running and an enemy shoots me in my toe and if i go behind a wall you can guarantee i will die.
Now its not that the enemy is following me with his sights behind that wall because i have tried running behind a wall,diving behind a wall,going behind a wall and stopping. It never fails you will die. I'm sure many of you guys have experienced this.
Let me know your thoughts on this.

Oh and i forgot to mention. I have seen people get killed by someone shooting then through steel in launch but yet you cannot shoot through trees or even that table in firing range. Just today there was a guy sitting in the corner next to the table in firing range, I come the doorway by the firing targets. I spot that guy. He is crouched in that corner. I shoot two clips into him(keep in mind the first clip he had no clue i was there) and he turns and kills me. This may be due to connection but there is plenty more examples of my point. Can shoot through steel but can't shoot through sandbags.
  • Re: "Curving Bullets"
    green86
    it's because of lag.  hit detection is now client side so there's no lag shooting.  your character model lags behind where you actually are so even though you're behind a wall, everyone else sees where you were ~1 second before that so they're able to still shoot you.
    the internet connection on the wii is extremely capped as well which makes the lag worse compared to other consoles, even LAN adapters don't help the speed at all
    NinjaIRL
    Ohh my god this is actually the most annoying thing ever. Like it isn't bad hit detection because it shows that you died behind that wall.. I think there's some sort of lag with your death, and you end up dying a short moment after you should have. It's really annoying though because you think you're safe, then you just drop.
    TOO*Goldz
    i agree completely!!!     everytime i play atleast 5 times a day half of my deaths in a game are someone shooting at me then when im safely on the other side of the wall it TRANSPORTS me back where he started shooting me and it kills me >.<    DO SOMETHING TREYARCH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn1nBR5jOx8

this is from MW2 (which i know sucks) but it applies here 2. It explains this perfectly.
    dtxNerdFail

Vathalan wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn1nBR5jOx8

this is from MW2 (which i know sucks) but it applies here 2. It explains this perfectly.

That doesn't seem like an explanation; more of a theory.

green86 wrote:

it's because of lag. hit detection is now client side

I think this guy hit the rabbit on the nose. This is from my experience with playing online free games with this sort of system (such as SF). Basically what happens is that since hit detection is done client sided, the client that gets the hit marker has to transfer the packet info (or w/e it's called) through the server, and back to the client who got hit, to give him the indication that he got hit. So essentially, there is likely going to be probably a maximum 1 second delay between a person hitting you and you being hit. That small amount of delay is just enough to make it seem like you're safe behind a wall, when you're actually not.

The only solution to this is, like the video says, to not play like rambo and run around like a headless chicken, but to be slightly more cautious and aware of your surroundings. As long as you can play a little cautiously, the number of times you get killed from behind a wall should decrease (it will never completely dissipate).
    WarPig
    I get the "curving" bullets syndrome in every match I'm in. It's only a game I know but  c'mon. I thought the whole idea was to make these realistic. I'm to the point now that I'm going to shelve BO for awhile if not forever. If the next round of patches don't offer a cure then I'm out for good.
    green86

The Bud wrote:

I get the "curving" bullets syndrome in every match I'm in. It's only a game I know but  c'mon. I thought the whole idea was to make these realistic. I'm to the point now that I'm going to shelve BO for awhile if not forever. If the next round of patches don't offer a cure then I'm out for good.

so you're expecting a patch that gets rid of lag?
    don't hold your breath
    WarPig
    Oh I'm not holding my breath. It's only a game but I was hoping to get my $45 worth. If I put BO to the dust bin it won't kill me, I'll just wait for a couple months after the release of the next overhyped latest greatest game before I decide whether to get it or not.
    i7vsa7vi7y
    It makes sense to me its that 1sec delay and Vathalan thanks for that vid.
    It makes sense tho because people get mad and say omg!! i shot you 3 times and you killed me but on my screen it didn't look like they even attempted to shoot me. Well hopefully this get fixed sometime in the future. Maybe when most of the world has real good internet.
    Another thing that makes me mad is i have verizon fios. Im pretty sure its one of the top isp right now. Heres my upload and download speed. I just did this test like 3secs ago so here.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1081475169.png

As you can see my ISP is great. My host in reflex was perfect. Now in black ops it just goes 5bars to 1 over and over. Makes no sense considering my clan is all from california also where i live.
    Xaivior
    you are complaining about lag issues? go play MWR and W@W for the wii then talk to me about lag
    i7vsa7vi7y

Xaivior wrote:

you are complaining about lag issues? go play MWR and W@W for the wii then talk to me about lag

Lolz i can see if you mentioned a newer game. But BO is the newest out and should be better than its previous games.
    weird-guy
    I experience this all the time, too.
    VGI | MT
    Great posts - I have been lamenting this phenomenon since the day BO came out.  Now that I think about it, it also happened in MWR and WaW, but it didn't seem to happen as much.  I've gone so far as to upgrade my ISP (ATT UVerse MaxTurbo with 24Down/3Up) so that my connections can be better, but it seems to only have helped in 15% of the games I'm in or less.  And now I have enough throughput to be a host, but I still get dropped by other players after it seems that I've put 15 bullets in them.

My natural style is a rusher and holding back is very frustrating so far because of the awful spawn logic - I can hold tight and pin down the enemy for 30 seconds only to be shot in the back by the guy I just patiently baited out - who spawned 5 feet behind me...

And trying to take cover is completely useless in BO - may as well just stop running and resign to the death. 

But my favorite aspect of this version of COD is the knifing.  I wonder how it can be that even the most hardened, battle tested warrior can have the presence and strength to fatally wound me with a single knife lunge WHILE I am raking him with machine gun fire...  You should immediately drop your knife if you try to lunge while being shot...  Check a player's combat record forknife kills - those with 500-1000 already probably have the Verizon FIOS connections...  ;o)

VGI | MT
    WarPig

Xaivior wrote:

I had virtually the same exact thing happen in Reflex. I put that game to the dustbin without even prestiging one time. At least in WaW you could lead your shots and still play a decent match. If you had host you were almost guaranteed to have the best connection in the match.