41 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2010 6:37 PM by majorrodriguez RSS

CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

When i logged on to my laptop it came up with a message saying WARNING IP ADDRESS CONFLICT two or more computers on the same network as the same IP address contact your system admisnistrator to fix this. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IS IT SERIOUS?
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja
    <deleted> because you actually might try to do it...lol
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    what ?
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    xxitzzst1gm1st3rxx
    I had the same message the other day.

    It was the 3G on my iPad interfering with my Wi-Fi.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    what ?



    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/f/ip_conflict.htm

    In short, do this and see if it resolves the issue...

    (Assuming Windows)

    START >> RUN
    CMD <Enter>
    At command prompt type:  ipconfig /release <Enter>
    At command prompt type:  ipconfig /renew <Enter>

    Try again.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    what ?



    don't format c:    

    that was nerd humor.   Funny, but still don't do it.

    Each device (computer, xbox, ps3, iphone, etc) that is connected to your network gets an IP address.

    You have 2 devices using the same IP address.  This means that both devices will not be able to connect to the network.  

    You need to change the IP address on one of the devices.   Often a reboot of the pc will do the job. 

    If you want to manually configure a specific IP address, it's pretty simple, but I would suggest googling the instructions as my ADHD is setting in and I won't be able to give you instructions here.... SQUIRREL!!

    good luck.  your issue is not fatal.     format c: would be fatal.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    imPatrickB8man

    BriarNinja wrote:

     

    format c:



    LOL!

    But on a serious note, everything you need to know is in the message itself. Reread it...or google it if you still don't understand
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    kainon
    google it..   turn off the laptop ( dont just put it to sleep ), turn off the ROUTER for a minute, then turn the router back On, then the laptop.

    if that doesn't fix it.. you'll need to log into the router and clear the DHCP Leases (usually accesible from the LAN Network section )
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    is it bad thats all i want to know?
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    imPatrickB8man

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    is it bad thats all i want to know?



    Yes! If you don't fix it right now you're computer and your other device will grow arms and legs and battle to the death to claim the right to lease that IP address!
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    imPatrickB8man

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    is it bad thats all i want to know?



    Yes! If you don't fix it right now your computer and your other network device will grow arms and legs and battle to the death to claim the right to lease that IP address!
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    is it bad thats all i want to know?



    It's extremely dangerous. I would seek medical attention immediately and get put on antibiotics ASAP!
    Regardless, don't come anywhere near me...or my computers k thx.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    no seriously is it bad
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    no seriously is it bad



    It could possibly explode and take out your entire neighborhood...if you haven't started running yet...start now.  Good luck!
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    BriarNinja wrote:

     

    <deleted> because you actually might try to do it...lol


    Lol I take it you said reformat your C drive. Haha.
    Anyway to the OP. You have two devices with the same ip address. To use a metaphor that's like having two houses with the same address. The postman is the internet and he is bringing a letter (a packet). He does not know which house(device) to take t to because as far as he is concerened they are the same.

    The way to resolve this to change the ip of one of the devices. Without knowing what the devices are, I can't tell you specifically how to do this. If you tell me which OS you use on your pc, I can help.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    Wow you guys are cruel.

    No it is not bad, it just means until you receive a new IP address your computer will not be able to communicate with the network. Just do as said previously and run IPconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from a command prompt and you should be golden.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja
    Or as others mentioned, just reboot...should grab a new IP via DHCP...if you are asking this question, I doubt you set up static IPs.  You probably just plugged and played and things worked...so reboot and I'd say there is a good chance that error will go away.

    If not, hit it REALLY hard with a hammer...that usually fixes most computer problems.
    If that doesn't fix it, you didn't hit it hard enough, put some back into it!
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    mr742

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    is it bad thats all i want to know?



    Not bad news. Like others have said, check you IP, you may even have a static IP set on your computer so look for that as well.
    An IP is like a home address, you cant have 2 of the same on the same street.

    Issues like this google is your friend not the trolls here
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    mR742 wrote:

     

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    is it bad thats all i want to know?



    Not bad news. Like others have said, check you IP, you may even have a static IP set on your computer so look for that as well.
    An IP is like a home address, you cant have 2 of the same on the same street.

    Issues like this google is your friend not the trolls here



    Actually more like a phone number. Sort of like party lines back in the day.. Oh God now I'm showing my age.. If two people have the same phone number it caused problems.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    BriarNinja wrote:

     

    Or as others mentioned, just reboot...should grab a new IP via DHCP...if you are asking this question, I doubt you set up static IPs.  You probably just plugged and played and things worked...so reboot and I'd say there is a good chance that error will go away.

    If not, hit it REALLY hard with a hammer...that usually fixes most computer problems.
    If that doesn't fix it, you didn't hit it hard enough, put some back into it!



    Rebooting won't always help.. Especially if your lease has not yet expired. The only way to truly get a new IP Address is to do a /release /renew.. Or go in and disable your network card and then re-enable, or you can run a repair on your network connection depending on OS version.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    fyrhazzrd2 wrote:

     

    BriarNinja wrote:

     

    Or as others mentioned, just reboot...should grab a new IP via DHCP...if you are asking this question, I doubt you set up static IPs.  You probably just plugged and played and things worked...so reboot and I'd say there is a good chance that error will go away.

    If not, hit it REALLY hard with a hammer...that usually fixes most computer problems.
    If that doesn't fix it, you didn't hit it hard enough, put some back into it!



    Rebooting won't always help.. Especially if your lease has not yet expired. The only way to truly get a new IP Address is to do a /release /renew.. Or go in and disable your network card and then re-enable, or you can run a repair on your network connection depending on OS version.



    The release/renew was my first recommendation, but given the assumed user level...rebooting seemed like an "easy" first step
    Hopefully he/she gets it worked out before an all out panic attack takes over (thinking it's somehow serious is...well pretty serious).
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    vexix11
    Just take your computer of automatic ip and make it manual and choose an IP not in use
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    no seriously is it bad




    Can't.......resist.....much...longerrrrrr.....!
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    i fixed it by restarting my laptop
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    djacks400

    fyrhazzrd2 wrote:

     

    Rebooting won't always help.. Especially if your lease has not yet expired. The only way to truly get a new IP Address is to do a /release /renew.. Or go in and disable your network card and then re-enable, or you can run a repair on your network connection depending on OS version.



    This is ridiculous! Your lease is expired the minute the machine sends out a new DHCP request (upon reboot, release/renew, etc..). Sure you are likely going to wind up with the same address again, but the router is not going to purposely assign 2 different devices with 2 different MAC addresses the same ip. What you are implying is that somehow a machine can possibly stay connected to the network through a reboot when the machine is momentarily powered off. The OP has either got the same static ip for two devices, a bridge setup, or doesn't have a large enough address range in the routers config. If a reboot doesn't help, then there is something goofy going on.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    Sly McFunk

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    i fixed it by restarting my laptop



    In the future, this should be your first step in any PC troubleshooting 
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    djacks400 wrote:

     

    fyrhazzrd2 wrote:

     

    Rebooting won't always help.. Especially if your lease has not yet expired. The only way to truly get a new IP Address is to do a /release /renew.. Or go in and disable your network card and then re-enable, or you can run a repair on your network connection depending on OS version.



    This is ridiculous! Your lease is expired the minute the machine sends out a new DHCP request (upon reboot, release/renew, etc..). Sure you are likely going to wind up with the same address again, but the router is not going to purposely assign 2 different devices with 2 different MAC addresses the same ip. What you are implying is that somehow a machine can possibly stay connected to the network through a reboot when the machine is momentarily powered off. The OP has either got the same static ip for two devices, a bridge setup, or doesn't have a large enough address range in the routers config. If a reboot doesn't help, then there is something goofy going on.



    Ok I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about.

    We have Four Domain Controllers and 3 DHCP servers with 3 different scopes. When I was setting up DHCP for the extra two scopes I had to set up the servers with filters to specifically deny the specific client MAC addresses from obtaining an IP address from that specific server. Then on the server that we wanted the clients to receive IP addresses from we created DHCP reservation for the client PC's.

    Now by your logic just simply rebooting the client PC will allow the client to receive the new IP address. Wrong, it will not work because the lease has not expired for that PC. Trust me I know; we tested it out and it did not work. We had to physically do a /release /renew in order for it to grab the new IP address.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    i fixed it by restarting my laptop



    +1 good job!
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    fyrhazzrd2 wrote:

     

    djacks400 wrote:

     

    fyrhazzrd2 wrote:

     

    Rebooting won't always help.. Especially if your lease has not yet expired. The only way to truly get a new IP Address is to do a /release /renew.. Or go in and disable your network card and then re-enable, or you can run a repair on your network connection depending on OS version.



    This is ridiculous! Your lease is expired the minute the machine sends out a new DHCP request (upon reboot, release/renew, etc..). Sure you are likely going to wind up with the same address again, but the router is not going to purposely assign 2 different devices with 2 different MAC addresses the same ip. What you are implying is that somehow a machine can possibly stay connected to the network through a reboot when the machine is momentarily powered off. The OP has either got the same static ip for two devices, a bridge setup, or doesn't have a large enough address range in the routers config. If a reboot doesn't help, then there is something goofy going on.



    Ok I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about.

    We have Four Domain Controllers and 3 DHCP servers with 3 different scopes. When I was setting up DHCP for the extra two scopes I had to set up the servers with filters to specifically deny the specific client MAC addresses from obtaining an IP address from that specific server. Then on the server that we wanted the clients to receive IP addresses from we created DHCP reservation for the client PC's.

    Now by your logic just simply rebooting the client PC will allow the client to receive the new IP address. Wrong, it will not work because the lease has not expired for that PC. Trust me I know; we tested it out and it did not work. We had to physically do a /release /renew in order for it to grab the new IP address.




    Dude, if OP had an NSA network setup at his/her home like you described, I think they would have known how to reacquire a fresh IP without asking.  You *KNOW* the most intricate setup they had was a plug and play router with DHCP enabled
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    BriarNinja wrote:

     



    Dude, if OP had an NSA network setup at his/her home like you described, I think they would have known how to reacquire a fresh IP without asking.  You *KNOW* the most intricate setup they had was a plug and play router with DHCP enabled



    haha.. NSA not hardly.. I work for a bakery that bakes bread.(Sunbeam).. LOL We just wanted to have three different scopes to go out three different internet pipes. One scope for IT, One scope for Ultipro users, and the default scope for everyone else.

    It's not rocket science. or should I say a matter of National Security LOL
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    GB2KxDOCxADMIN1

    Maidenz wrote:

     

    When i logged on to my laptop it came up with a message saying WARNING IP ADDRESS CONFLICT two or more computers on the same network as the same IP address contact your system admisnistrator to fix this. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IS IT SERIOUS?


    How many computers do you have in the home? What are you using ie apple, lynux, dell ect. The problem I suspect is that when you set up your PC's you gave them both the same name. If that is what you did you it is an easy fix. When you turn on your PC and windows takes you to the sign in screen does it have the same exact name on both computers?
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    fyrhazzrd2 wrote:

     

    BriarNinja wrote:

     



    Dude, if OP had an NSA network setup at his/her home like you described, I think they would have known how to reacquire a fresh IP without asking.  You *KNOW* the most intricate setup they had was a plug and play router with DHCP enabled



    haha.. NSA not hardly.. I work for a bakery that bakes bread.(Sunbeam).. LOL We just wanted to have three different scopes to go out three different internet pipes. One scope for IT, One scope for Ultipro users, and the default scope for everyone else.

    It's not rocket science. or should I say a matter of National Security LOL



    That's a pretty high tech bakery...what kinda "bread" you guys makin over there?
    Sounds like a front for laundering and packaging Columbian product in chocolate chip cookies!!!
    What kind of bakery has it's own IT scope?
    The NSA will be looking into you shortly!!!
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    BriarNinja wrote:

     

    fyrhazzrd2 wrote:

     

    BriarNinja wrote:

     



    Dude, if OP had an NSA network setup at his/her home like you described, I think they would have known how to reacquire a fresh IP without asking.  You *KNOW* the most intricate setup they had was a plug and play router with DHCP enabled



    haha.. NSA not hardly.. I work for a bakery that bakes bread.(Sunbeam).. LOL We just wanted to have three different scopes to go out three different internet pipes. One scope for IT, One scope for Ultipro users, and the default scope for everyone else.

    It's not rocket science. or should I say a matter of National Security LOL



    That's a pretty high tech bakery...what kinda "bread" you guys makin over there?
    Sounds like a front for laundering and packaging Columbian product in chocolate chip cookies!!!
    What kind of bakery has it's own IT scope?
    The NSA will be looking into you shortly!!!



    Us IT guys needed our own scope because of downloading ISO files all day long. It would pretty much saturate the internet bandwidth for the rest of the company.

    The bakery I work for has 5 plants and 49 Sales branches. Each of the 5 plants bakes differnt products. The plant I work at only bakes sandwich bread, while the others bakes: Bagels, English Muffins, Hamburger Buns, and Hot Dog Buns.

    The bakery I work at also supplied IT support for All of the sales branches and the plants. There are no IT personnel in any of the other plants.

    If you want to know something else that may blow your mind; we have 125 servers.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja
    Definitely a front for the Columbian drug trade.  So bagels are really cocaine?  English muffins are really weed?
    I hear ya though, if you guys are that big, definitely good to segregate the pipes (network/bandwith, not the crack ones)
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    GB2KxDOCxADMIN1
    WOW......The OP asked for help and you guys turned it into an EGO pissing contest....hmmmm...I dont know....is it just me or does this sound like narcissism at its best..

    Just saying....
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    GB2KxDOCxADMIN1 wrote:

     

    WOW......The OP asked for help and you guys turned it into an EGO pissing contest....hmmmm...I dont know....is it just me or does this sound like narcissism at its best..

    Just saying....



    EGO contest not quite.. The OP resolved his problem and the thread went off topic. I was simply answering his questions.
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    SoylentBob
    format c:\
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    BriarNinja

    GB2KxDOCxADMIN1 wrote:

     

    WOW......The OP asked for help and you guys turned it into an EGO pissing contest....hmmmm...I dont know....is it just me or does this sound like narcissism at its best..

    Just saying....




    Sorry you were a few hours late and didn't read everything in the thread, surprise surprise!

    As mentioned, OP already solved the issue (of which we contributed helpful answers) and we've detracted on a separate conversation since...not a pissing contest, just some good humor and nerd talk.  When you take your foot out of your mouth, maybe you can join in?
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    ghosthound
    Apart from Soylent, who the **** are all these people   ?  :shock: 
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    DanielWW2

    GhostHound wrote:

     

    Apart from Soylent, who the **** are all these people   ?  :shock: 



    Thread moved from the BO section I guess.  
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!

    DanielWW2 wrote:

     

    GhostHound wrote:

     

    Apart from Soylent, who the **** are all these people   ?  :shock: 



    Thread moved from the BO section I guess.  



    Yeah, it was moved.. It took me a few minutes to figure out where it went.. I thought maybe it got deleted.. LOL
  • Re: CALLING ALL COMPUTER TECHIES !!!!
    majorrodriguez
    What is this? Comic-Con? Did all the techies come out of the woodwork?

    This is a simple solve. The reason IP address are conflicting is because two computers on the same network have the same IP Address at the same time. Internet Protocol (which is what IP stands for) forbids that two different sources trying to connect to the same network can have the same IP Address. When an IP Address occures, neither source can connect to the network. IP Conflicts usually sort themselves out when your DCHP server refreshes.

    But if it doesn't sort itself out, you can restart the network. Or if you want to fix it from your computer go to your command prompt and type:

    IPCONFIG /RELEASE <press enter>
    IPCONFIG /RENEW <press enter>

    Hope this explains the issue to you. Try not to have that many systems/sources connecting to a single network unless you have a bussiness level network (T1, T2, T3, FIOS, Comcast Business).

    James Rodriguez
    Apple Retail/Genius