24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 6:36 PM by Jackky360 RSS

Is sniping considered camping? Your opinion

mrdamnage
I think no. Snipers are supposed to stay in a good sniping position.
  • Re: Is sniping considered camping? Your opinion
    Wess-L
    lol hell no. they nerfed it so you cant run around and qs people so you have to camp a bit for killstreaks
    Cody_754
    Definition of camping: Sitting in a single place for extended periods of time.
    So yea, I would consider it camping however, it's necessary for sniping so it's not a bad thing!
    mrdamnage
    I "camp" when I snipe. It's the only way to really hold down a good area. I've gotten nice killstrraks especially in WMD.
    Da BladeMasterz
    Sniping is legal camping.

That's my opinion.
    flukieshot
    Depends on your play style iv always been aggressive when I snipe so camping too me gets boring heres a video of how i like too snipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-0taLYUD4A

flukieshot wrote:

Depends on your play style iv always been aggressive when I snipe so camping too me gets boring heres a video of how i like too snipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-0taLYUD4A

PSHH, LOL That's not even "Sniping" ! Hahaha That's running around shooting people with a sniper rifle!

Definition of Sniper:
    snip·er (snpr)
    n.
    1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
    2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

But to the OP, Sniping is Not concidered camping. As the above TRUE definition suggests.
    Have a great Day!
    o__Dragon__o
    EDIT: And BTW I do not use sniper rifle, nor do I camp. Just want to make that clear.
    kastro187420
    It can be considered camping depending on how you do it. If you're sitting there Scoped in looking at only 1 specific spot waiting for an enemy to run through.. then that's no better than laying down prone ADS on a doorway.

But if you're posted up overlooking a common area of the map that action reaches alot, then that's fine.
    JTF2CSOR
    "Camping" and "Camper" are the two most overused excuses in FPS gaming.    Having little kids, that are too young to play the game to begin with, calling me a camper after I just stabbed them in the back in an open field, is getting rather old.

Then there is the REAL definition of a camper, which is someone sitting in a dark corner of a room with one door.   Those kids are the easiest kills you can possibly get in a COD.    The only reason people complain is because they're embarrassed that they were killed because of mistakes they made.   Learn how to clear a room before you complain.
    avengedyesterday
    I ran into some campers last night in hardcore team death match. These guys were 4th and 5th prestige sitting in a corner way back on cracked, one on each corner with claymores at both entrances. After killing these guys 10+ times each they raged quit. Even when i snipe i may stay in the same area but im not just watching one small area hoping someone runs across. I love sniping on cracked the third story on the crumbling building. You can see B, a path from A and the stair case everyone likes to run into to get B and also i can jump down and go defend C. Would some people call that camping, sure if i was using a assault riffle or SMG i'd consider that camping. From that position we dominated last night and i was able to get chopper gunner and dogs twice.
    TheBigLebowski2000
    If you go from one spot to another, it's not camping.
    asystole
    A sniper should be "camped" like on the power tower in Array for example. There is nothing wrong with it. Camping is a guy waiting behind a door, waiting for someone to run by to shoot.
    Maxss2
    The only good sniper is the one that doesn't get killed. Bottom line.

Now, that said, there are the good snipers that know when to re-locate. If you stay in one relative spot and do nothing but shoot from that location, eventually players are gonna get fed up with it and take you out. The best snipers will know when they've outstayed their welcome and head for another location (preferably one that overlooks the approach to their old location, if they're REAL good). Good snipers will have an escape plan for when the enemy gets too close and get the hell outta dodge quick. Bad snipers will just stay there till they croak.

From the way that the developers make maps, there are usually multiple different areas that allow you to play at ranges best for sniper rifles. The Best snipers know the ins and outs of these areas and know multiple different spots that they can set up (not all are good tho) so they can improvise depending on how the match is going. The Good snipers know of these locations but still are drawn to one of them exclusively. Bad Snipers find ONE spot and always go there, flip-or-fly.

It is true that Sniping and Camping are closely related... You just can't get high-accuracy shots with a sniper rifle while you're running about, and with all the other stuff going on, you need to find a well-hidden position to give you the chance to aim and drop your target. However, this doesn't excuse the "snipers" who stubbornly dig themselves into a specific point, and usually if they are facing a good opposing team, they wind up costing the team far more in points than they earn.
    Gerr-Bear
    Sitting in a corner in a small room or area and waiting for someone to come around so you can blast them full of lead is camping.
    Sitting on an advantageous position and shooting people while being partially or fully visible is not.
    I'll explain it in one phrase
    You can't move a tent (Well in the time of one game)
    If your camping in one spot, you'll either wind up dead or your a camper, even snipers should move at least a little bit
    Deftones1986
    My personal opinion:

Sniping is not camping even though I hate it and consider it boring.
    A camper is a player who doesn't "earn" his kills. They will sit in one room with their weapon scoped at the opening of a doorway and wait for someone to come running in and kill them. Then when the person comes back to try and kill the camper, they've moved to a different spot and just get another easy kill.
    Now I understand the whole concept of clearing out the room and I will agree that if you get killed by a "camper" yes it is your fault and I usually do get the camper after my second time being killed by them.
    But the frustration comes when this happens all game long and the camper just chooses to go to the same spot over and over and over again even after they are killed off BECAUSE they are not going along with the game mode that they chose to play in. It just ruins the flow of the game especially in Domination which is mostly what I play where the objective is to run to the three points and capture them, which most people do, but when these "campers" decide to sit in a corner and try and pick off people that are actually trying to capture objectives it gets really annoying.

My solution:
    Killstreaks should be combined with "Pointstreaks" so you need to not only get kills but also depending on what game mode you're playing you need to complete certain captures or defends to unlock your rewards.
    Or they could make it where the more your player moves around depending on what gun class they have, the more points you build up towards things.

Deftones1986 wrote:

My personal opinion:

Sniping is not camping even though I hate it and consider it boring.
    A camper is a player who doesn't "earn" his kills. They will sit in one room with their weapon scoped at the opening of a doorway and wait for someone to come running in and kill them. Then when the person comes back to try and kill the camper, they've moved to a different spot and just get another easy kill.
    Now I understand the whole concept of clearing out the room and I will agree that if you get killed by a "camper" yes it is your fault and I usually do get the camper after my second time being killed by them.
    But the frustration comes when this happens all game long and the camper just chooses to go to the same spot over and over and over again even after they are killed off BECAUSE they are not going along with the game mode that they chose to play in. It just ruins the flow of the game especially in Domination which is mostly what I play where the objective is to run to the three points and capture them, which most people do, but when these "campers" decide to sit in a corner and try and pick off people that are actually trying to capture objectives it gets really annoying.

My solution:
    Killstreaks should be combined with "Pointstreaks" so you need to not only get kills but also depending on what game mode you're playing you need to complete certain captures or defends to unlock your rewards.
    Or they could make it where the more your player moves around depending on what gun class they have, the more points you build up towards things.

Yeah but then even defensive players Lise our similar to campers.
    On objective games I play defensive and support bomb runners, flag takers etc. With an HK21 and China Lake
    At the end of a game I have close to zero objectives completed, but I still get a lot of kills.
    Phoenix442

Cody_754 wrote:

Definition of camping: Sitting in a single place for extended periods of time.
    So yea, I would consider it camping however, it's necessary for sniping so it's not a bad thing!

agree, when you have a single fire rifle, you cant run around so you have to camp.
    DavidCopperfield
    I consider camping- staying in a building, in a corner looking at an entrance with a motion sensor with an ak74u with tiger camo
    lightweight+marathon+sniper=fail

I, as well, think Sniping is a necessary form of camping. Like many others, the players that sit in a dark room aiming at the door are the real campers that annoy me. Clearing procedure or not, there is no real skill in this method of score jacking and, honestly, it is my opinion that XP should be deducted for such acts. But, if this deduction were to exist, it would probably be too difficult for the programmers to differentiate being camping and Sniping and there would be nobody to Snipe in fear of losing XP.

Possible solution - thought of and shot down in a single post. You know it!

Jackky360

Nah not in my opinion, it's just a weapon choice. It's like saying a machine gunner is a noob because they can't use a shotgun ? It's because it's their stronger weapon of choice and it makes the game more interesting. Think about it if everyone just had machine guns and pistols then it would be boring as hell.