47 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2011 9:09 AM by unerds RSS

Variable Zoom

L96A1SniperRifle
I'm a sniper and I've been switching between the regular scope on the L96A1 and the Variable Zoom, I like them both but something I've noticed with the Variable Zoom is:

Say you have it zoomed in to the 2nd setting, and you toss a tactical/lethal grenade or switch to a secondary/equipment, the zoom-in goes back to the default. Does that also happen on the other consoles or what, it's really annoying having to check the zoom every minute or so. What are your thoughts?
  • Re: Variable Zoom
    unerds

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

I'm a sniper and I've been switching between the regular scope on the L96A1 and the Variable Zoom, I like them both but something I've noticed with the Variable Zoom is:

Say you have it zoomed in to the 2nd setting, and you toss a tactical/lethal grenade or switch to a secondary/equipment, the zoom-in goes back to the default. Does that also happen on the other consoles or what, it's really annoying having to check the zoom every minute or so. What are your thoughts?

i don't really snipe much, but i would hope that the variable zoom scope would stay zoomed to your last chosen setting, at least until you die.
    I've noticed it too.  It's all these annoying little things that make this game not as fun anymore.
    jonrelo

unerds wrote:

i don't really snipe much, but i would hope that the variable zoom scope would stay zoomed to your last chosen setting, at least until you die.

It was meant to be fixed in a patch previously too...

JD_2020 wrote:

12/9:
    •     Variable zoom scope would not stay zoomed in

L96A1SniperRifle

jonrelo wrote:

unerds wrote:

JD_2020 wrote:

12/9:

Well, obviously that patch didn't work correctly =/
    Sniper16

jonrelo wrote:

unerds wrote:

JD_2020 wrote:

12/9:

That was a different problem all together. That patch fixes that problem
    L96A1SniperRifle
    Either way, I think this needs to be fixed.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Use Acog. Problem solved
    L96A1SniperRifle

AI Sniper16 wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Use Acog. Problem solved

Not accurate, problem still not solved.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

AI Sniper16 wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Use Acog. Problem solved

Not accurate, problem still not solved.

Then you dont deserve to call yourself a sniper
    L96A1SniperRifle
    Why because I actually use the real scopes? Trolling doesn't work on me, bud.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Why because I actually use the real scopes? Trolling doesn't work on me, bud.

Real Scopes? Being a sniper in cod utilizes all scopes to their potential. I use every scope in Black Ops I can say I am a sniper. If you solely use 1-2 scopes then you arent a true sniper
    L96A1SniperRifle
    I actually use 3 of the 4, thank you. I use the Reg, Variable and sometimes, if I'm bored, IR. Just not the ACOG.

This thread was created to suggest the fix of the Variable Zoom, not for a troll to make an attempt of trying to flatter itself.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

I actually use 3 of the 4, thank you. I use the Reg, Variable and sometimes, if I'm bored, IR. Just not the ACOG.

Acog is harder than any of the other scopes. If you dont hit your shot your screwed. Anyone can camp snipe...
    C(O)DM(A)STER

AI Sniper16 wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Acog is harder than any of the other scopes. If you dont hit your shot your screwed. Anyone can camp snipe...

acog is beast
    L96A1SniperRifle

AI Sniper16 wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Who said I camp to snipe? I play aggresively.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

AI Sniper16 wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Who said I camp to snipe? I play aggresively.

I define aggressive as getting within 10 ft with them shooting at you... I can quickscope with reggie or variable as well, but you cant take out 4 or 5 guys with them. If you say you can Ill call you a liar right now.
    L96A1SniperRifle
    Most people define aggresively as constantly running around, not running straight into multiple amount of people all at the same time, which rarely happens in matches seeing as usually people are spread out.
    SilentShot

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Most people define aggresively as constantly running around, not running straight into multiple amount of people all at the same time, which rarely happens in matches seeing as usually people are spread out.

My define aggresively bein' a try hard.  
    I'm a sniper myself, am I right  AI SNIPER? You nub :o
    3200+ Kills
    42.05%
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

I snipe FFA nuketown. Targets are all around you. You obviously havent reached that level of sniping yet
    Sniper16

iScopee wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

3200+ Kills
    42.05%

Yeah you are a tryhard  
    Ill do tomohawks only and you will still snipe you nub
    SilentShot

AI Sniper16 wrote:

iScopee wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

3200+ Kills
    42.05%

Yeah you are a tryhard  
    Ill do tomohawks only and you will still snipe you nub

I'll only tryhard if someone is usin' rapidfire/famas/aug.. Like YOU. 
    Sniper16
    Huh? I was tomohawk only. That was Nutty and Tanto not me :o
    L96A1SniperRifle

AI Sniper16 wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

I snipe FFA nuketown. Targets are all around you. You obviously havent reached that level of sniping yet

I was generally speaking about the majority of maps, not just Nuketown.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

AI Sniper16 wrote:

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

I was generally speaking about the majority of maps, not just Nuketown.

Most maps have there choke points where everyone runs during a match. Quite often you will cone across 3 or more guys at the same time. Quit trying to act like your some beast sniper when your not
    markg87
    A professional sniper? Lol. I can see both sides of the argument but in the end, if you can snipe then you're a sniper.. Regardless of whether or not you can use ACOG or any other scope.
    Lt. Dan 21
    I'd agree w/ AI Sniper, a proffesional sniper should be able to quickscope at any given moment, without much of a heads up.  Nuketown FFA is the ultimate test for that.  And if you can't use the ACOG then you need some practice, friend.
    *Black Widow*

Lt. Dan 21 wrote:

a proffesional sniper should be able to quickscope at any given moment, without much of a heads up.

I think a professional sniper would laugh at how poorly their specialized weapon was being used in modern video games.
    padiego

*Black Widow* wrote:

Lt. Dan 21 wrote:

a proffesional sniper should be able to quickscope at any given moment, without much of a heads up.

I think a professional sniper would laugh at how poorly their specialized weapon was being used in modern video games.

thats pretty funny
    like kweagle said a long time ago, ask a SWAT team how many quickscopers they have when they break into a building.
    Answer:
    scopolamine
    Variable Zome scope works on some maps and the Acog works on others. I try to use them all to match the players & maps Im playing on and against.
    *T90* SnIpEd
    Well, its theoretically impossible to compare real life combat situations, such as with real life snipers,  to Call of Duty games, or even most First Person Shooters. Reason being is that well the term one shot kill will/should go for all weapons in real life regardless if it was a machine gun or Pistol. If the person does not die instantly, but dies in hospital, well its still a one shot kill, since that shot theoretically killed him. But, when you play a First Person Shooter, then it often takes roughly 5 or more bullets with any weapon minus sniper rifles and shot guns to kill a person. This theoretically means that snipers are the best weapon in the game, since it has the most damage, and since it has the highest range, then it can kill from a long distance, and also (theoretically) be a one shot kill close up. If a real soldier tried to "quick scope" someone, when they do not need to, and then missed, well then it would be pretty horrific for the shooter, since if the victim is half sane, then he will know to get out of there as soon as possible. Most snipers you will find in real life, actually stay a very long way out from their victim, and normally Snipers are used in assassination jobs, since snipers by far the best weapon to use for assassination jobs. snipers in Call of duty games and other FPS (First Person Shooters) often if they miss when they try to quick scope, then they are most likely Screwed. Since often if they have to even need to quick scope, then they would have been having a one on one with a automatic firing weapon user, and if they miss, the was to be victim could just turn around/ go to Ads/ hip fire, and then well, lets just say there will be a dead body on the floor, and when you walk over it, you can pick up a sniper
    So, its very unrealistic and quite stupid of someone to even begin to compare a in real life Sniper to a In game Sniper.
    *T90* SnIpEd
    Now then, as to ACOG vs Variable zoom vs Normal scope vs IR Scope well, this is what i have to say:

Now, well, i personally do not view the ACOG scope to be "proper" sniping, thats just me if, you deny that and/or flame it, feel free. Most people use ACOG for short distance shooting, such as that of Nuketown game modes. ACOG by far is the best attachment for situations when you have a lot of targets to hit, such as a 1 VS 3 situation. ACOG allows you to "zoom" in or go to ADS, but still allowing you to view the whole screen and surroundings, and also the mini map. Now Hard-Scoping with an ACOG is a very bad idea, since Hard-Scoping will normally mean that you are far away from your target, and since the ACOG has very bad range, then often you can not see the Target clearly.

Well, onto the Variable zoom. The variable zoom allows you to cycle through different zoom options, allowing you to have further range. I personally, do not like the Variable Zoom, since i am a wii-mote user, and therefore i find the the buttons on the screen telling you to press down to zoom in and stuff quite confusing, well not confusing as much, but quite distracting. Also, i find it increasingly difficult to press the down button, to zoom in, and still keep my aim steady. Numerous would use it on other consoles and WII for the fact that using the Variable Scope does in fact help with quick scoping, if you aim, then zoom in, then quickly zoom in again to the second zoom then shoot, it should reduce the randomness of the bullet, which treyarch put in the game to make snipers more balanced, and to stop the "quick scoping" craze, since quick scope'rs were increasing throughout the CoD series on all consoles. Now i am not to sure if this "Quick-scoping" thing does work on wii, since i do not often use the Variable zoom scope, But a number of people do use it, in the belief of this. Others use it purely to zoom in and have better range, helpful on maps such as Array.
    *T90* SnIpEd
    Now then, for the rest of my previous post.

Normal scope:
    Well, i use this scope by far the most when i snipe with my L96A1, mostly because i think its the most simplest. Quick Scoping is indeed dead in Black Ops, but Aggressive Sniping is not, and i for one, am quite successful at it. There is not really much to talk about for the normal scope, since well its just normal, it does not have a variable zoom setting, but i think it doesn't really need to, the range is far enough that it can see people across the map.

IR Scope:
    Well the IR scope, the most unused scope, no reason why it should be to be honest. Its a wonderful scope, for long ranged, camping and defensive style playing this is by far the best weapon if either you or your target is far away, camping and hiding behind other objects only showing a bit of your body, head poking out and if either you or your target is being quite defensive about there playing style. It is good cause it allows you to see very clearly where your opponent is, since it displays your target in white, like blank-white, and the surrounding such as trees, houses, rocks and other stuff people hide next to, in blue, so it is very easy to see your target. I personally do not like it as much as the normal scope, since i find it quite confusing, but some people do find it really easy to use, but i am not one of them.
    *T90* SnIpEd
    Now on to the definition of a sniper.
    Certain players and people define a "sniper" very differently, some would say that a sniper is someone who shoots from a long range. Others would say that a sniper is a "******* bastard who always picks me off somehow". Some would go as plainly as to say "a sniper is someone who uses a gun in the official sniper class".

I think that any of these definitions could be correct, since sniping is like art, it can be changed according to the person and the objective at hand. If a painter was in a calm place, and needed to draw a painting for his wife's anniversary, well then the scene would be come, and the outcome would be a magnificent painting, where all is tranquil. If however, a sniper was put in a match with Submachine gun users on a Nuketown free for all, then the sniper would be forced to quick scope, since he would have a minus KDR if he did not. On the other hand, if he was put in a Domination Match on Array, well the sniper would play a bit more defensively, camping in a building, a suppressor attachment is a maybe. Snipers change according to the situation, you just got to go with it.

On the other hand, a lot of people like to just play with one style, like quick scoping on array, or hard scoping on Nuketown. These people are 70% due to fail in those matches, purely for the fact that he didn't change his style according to his situation.

The last 4 posts or so are written by me, and should in no way be copied and said to be someone else's. Thanks 
    Sniper16

padiego wrote:

*Black Widow* wrote:

Lt. Dan 21 wrote:

thats pretty funny
    like kweagle said a long time ago, ask a SWAT team how many quickscopers they have when they break into a building.
    Answer:

You cant compare sniping in CoD to real life. CoD has real weapons but everything else is fake. In real life you wont have puppies being brought in out of crates. In real life you wouldnt have people sound whoring. In real life people would stay a mile or more away while using a sniper. CoD is no where near real life
    RandomName3214

RCPMturbocho wrote:

I've noticed it too.  It's all these annoying little things that make this game not as fun anymore.

I DONT want to be mean but if thats why you dont like the game why do you play it?
    L96A1SniperRifle
    T90, that was quite alot of reading >.>

AI Sniper, true, it has the real guns, but everything else is fake, so why (besides bias) did they take away quickscoping? People's arguement was "It's not real" Yeah, well, neither is getting "Killstreaks" for killing people in battle. Nor is instantly whipping out a pistol and shooting someone which they see in their "beloved" Second Chance perk. So what was the point of taking out quickscoping.

Anyway... Back to the MAIN topic, I really think Treyarch should try and fix the VZ so it stays at the set zoom until you die, regardless of throwing grenades etc, switching weapons I will agree should set the scope back to default.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

T90, that was quite alot of reading >.>

AI Sniper, true, it has the real guns, but everything else is fake, so why (besides bias) did they take away quickscoping? People's arguement was "It's not real" Yeah, well, neither is getting "Killstreaks" for killing people in battle. Nor is instantly whipping out a pistol and shooting someone which they see in their "beloved" Second Chance perk. So what was the point of taking out quickscoping.

Anyway... Back to the MAIN topic, I really think Treyarch should try and fix the VZ so it stays at the set zoom until you die, regardless of throwing grenades etc, switching weapons I will agree should set the scope back to default.

They took it out because it was "overpowered" it was way to easy to do it so they nerfed it. They never fixed quickscoping they just took away SoH Pro on snipers
    L96A1SniperRifle
    Don't forget the automatic sway right when you zoom in and the slight time of bullet randomness.
    Sniper16

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Don't forget the automatic sway right when you zoom in and the slight time of bullet randomness.

Those dont bother me
    L96A1SniperRifle
    Didn't say they did, just pointed those out aswell, because you said "They never fixed quickscoping they just took away SoH Pro on snipers" when that wasn't "just" the only they did 
    MartyrMaker

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Say you have it zoomed in to the 2nd setting, and you toss a tactical/lethal grenade or switch to a secondary/equipment, the zoom-in goes back to the default.

I had this exact same problem when switching to the VZ scope.  Used the reg sniper for a while and then switched to VZ, which I thought was a great scope.  Was racking up the kills at all ranges but quickly found that much time was spent resetting proper zoom and too many missed opportunities while doing so.  So much that I finally just gave up hope on using it and snipers, period.

I'm just a plain 'ol simple sniper.....Ghost Scout Ninja.  I kill one or two or three, then move to another spot.  Using the secondary while on the move.  I don't quickscope, noscope or any other type of lamescoping.  Aim assist off and hardcore modes so I don't have to see garbage players with aim crutch.

The amount of time spent waiting to scope in for a straight shot plus time spent re-adjusting zoom after doing anything else means sniping just isn't worth the effort for me.

It's just a shame that snipers aim had to be nerfed because of the rediculously unrealistic tactics being used with them in previous iterations of CoD.

Maybe if the VZ zoom setting were to remain static I might give sniping another go.
    *Black Widow*
    Meriam-Webster says you video game teens don't have a hint of a clue as to what you're saying when you say "sniping"

"1 to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage"

The Oxford dictionary went on to further point out the majority of War gamer's idiocy to define it as this.

"1 shoot at someone from a hiding place, especially accurately and at long range:the soldiers in the trench sniped at us"

So you think you're a sniper because you can run up to an enemy, pull the gun to your shoulder, and fire frantically at his stomach resulting in a one hit kill? I've seen realistic snipers in COD: Black Ops.

This video-game exclusive talent of minimal-aim instakilling is not sniping. I'll call it.... wellquafflebargh. There. You've now got a word for your fantasy skill. Have fun, wellquafflebarghers!
    L96A1SniperRifle

*Black Widow* wrote:

Meriam-Webster says you video game teens don't have a hint of a clue as to what you're saying when you say "sniping"

"1 to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage"

The Oxford dictionary went on to further point out the majority of War gamer's idiocy to define it as this.

"1 shoot at someone from a hiding place, especially accurately and at long range:the soldiers in the trench sniped at us"

So you think you're a sniper because you can run up to an enemy, pull the gun to your shoulder, and fire frantically at his stomach resulting in a one hit kill? I've seen realistic snipers in COD: Black Ops.

This video-game exclusive talent of minimal-aim instakilling is not sniping. I'll call it.... wellquafflebargh. There. You've now got a word for your fantasy skill. Have fun, wellquafflebarghers!

Ah, the trolls.
    Toa$tyOn3
    Real quickscoping doesn't work. If you pull the scope up and shoot it as soon as it gets all the way up, the bullet seems to go in a completely random place. If you scope up and then take half a second to wait or drag onto your target, the bullet will go where your cross hairs are. This is how a snipe. I run around, see someone, pull up scope, drag, shoot. It works well for me. I use L96 extended mag, so a regular scope. I feel like the ACOG is like a kiddy scope. Plus i just plain do better with a regular scope. Variable is good too, but I like the higher normal range of the Regular Scope.

I can do Nuketown with Regular scope, its not much harder than an Acog... My L96 Accuracy is over 50% and I have like a 1.8 K/d with it i think, haven't checked it in a while.
    skmace14

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

Actually, those factors are really only problematic in the ps360 versions. On the wii its virtually nonexistent/predictable. The sway almost always goes in one direction, so you just need to drag your scope along with the sway to get an accurate shot.
    *Black Widow*

L96A1SniperRifle wrote:

*Black Widow* wrote:

Ah, the trolls.

I am merely a frustrated realist in this bizarre land of immature fantasy, who must now wade amongst the insane who walk with chests puffed with pride about how heavily illusioned they are. Immagine my supreme frustration when I realized people no longer play to have fun!
    unerds

*T90* SnIpEd wrote:

Now then, as to ACOG vs Variable zoom vs Normal scope vs IR Scope well, this is what i have to say:

Now Hard-Scoping with an ACOG is a very bad idea, since Hard-Scoping will normally mean that you are far away from your target, and since the ACOG has very bad range, then often you can not see the Target clearly.

I disagree.  You can easily hit targets at long range with an assault rifle without any scope at all. 
    With a sniper rifle, if you have the time to properly acquire your target with ACOG, you can easily take them down.
    Basically, i'm saying that you don't NEED to zoom at all for long range fire fights...
    sure it helps, but you can easily get by with the 1.4x (?) magnification...
    also, there are relatively few maps that feature such long distances that would absolutely require the enhanced zoom of the variable scope.