12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2011 9:48 PM by BigFeet13 RSS

When will the custom map and mod tools be available

mcduke
Black Ops is wayyyyyy better then modern warfare 2 (which sucks), and it's a game that screams, "LET THE PLAYERS HAVE TOOLS TO CUSTOMIZE THE GAME TO THERE LIKING AND THE POWER TO CREATE MAPS"   So, when will it be available.??
  • Re: When will the custom map and mod tools be available
    No one knows for sure.
    mcduke
    I would think the employees of Treyarch would know. Don't they read these?? :o
    vTOwnage
    There too busy producing DLC and patches for the 360. Add to the fact that they're not allowed to post... Why bother?

mcduke wrote:

I would think the employees of Treyarch would know. Don't they read these?? :o

No. They wouldn't tell you if they did. And, no one said anything about releasing map making tools. All they've said is the mod tools will be limited.
    shadowtek
    so when the game has officially died then they will release mapping tools for $35 a pop. (Sorry if that dosent make sense, Im trying to think like a 3arc exec)

shadowtek wrote:

so when the game has officially died then they will release mapping tools for $35 a pop. (Sorry if that dosent make sense, Im trying to think like a 3arc exec)

Actually, if your a businessman, it doesn't make sense releasing mod or map making tools. You want people to be good and bored by the time the next cod comes out. Of coarse it doesn't make sense releasing the game to pc either. It' saves a lot of time and money not having to port the game over.
    AltMelodium
    We're not getting map tools, that I can guarantee.
    mcduke
    So another words, treyarch doesn't really want us to have the game we really want to play by having the use of mod tools. Instead they want to force feed us the game they think we want to play? Why don't they just look at what has been done to the cod games in the past with mods and maps, and then just include those features in feature games. I would like to have control over how my server is set up . Gaming consoles are the worst thing in the world to come along because they have no control over the games , they're just force fed whatever game comes along without realizing that with a computer and the tools for modding you could make the game exactly what you (the player) wants.  My black ops game cost $60 and I would like to really get my moneys worth out it.
       With CODWAW I run a server with openwarfare mod and have it setup with slower walking and sprinting speed and it even offers the effect of getting tired so you have to rest before you can spring again. I also removed the last stand and dropping grenade when you die perk, just don't want it on my server (seems silly to think you could do either if you got shot in the head). The group I play with aren't the run and gunners so I like having the option to set up my server that way. I'm not knocking anyone who wants to play on the run and gun servers, I just like the option to setup my server so it's not. But instead of doing the usual crouch server, I was able to use the openwarfare mod to just slow down the walking sprinting speed and have it so you actually get tired from sprinting all the time.
    Basically, yes. Listen, we were lucky to get dedicated servers unlike mw2. This isn't just activision or treyarch. EA's the same way. It's only going to get worse as the pc community shrinks even more.
    kawz
    Activision's business model is 1 CoD title per year & so the 11/11 installment of Call of Duty is well under way -- probably in the latter stages of development.  They make a killing on this title, and they'd be dumb not to take advantage of that.

Given that, I can't see the tools being what the community is accustomed to.  We might get something, but there just isn't going to be any longevity in any CoD title as long as they keep churning them out year after year.

Who's going to want to mess around with mod tools for Black Ops when a brand new CoD is out?  No one...

Mark it on your calendars:

11//11 Call of Duty something-or-other
    - VAC
    - Steam
    - 1 multi-player profile
    - Gameservers exclusive
    - paid DLC
    - no mod tools or a very limited version of them

Rinse, repeat -- 11/12

All one has to do is compare the state of this web site now to the state of it during the WaW era to know that they're just not spending the time on the things that don't pay off.  This site returns $0.  A new CoD in November will return half a billion.  Hmm...
    popnfrresh
    Fom another thread...

ZZub wrote:

I`M NOT BUYING IT!!

I bet all of the people that say they will not be buying it already have. Just like the great boycott of MW2, there were still a$$holes that stated they would not buy it, yet ran right out and bought it. Everyone that buys the game just shows activision what they can get away with. Sure they would lose some customers over it and have already shown they could give two sh!ts about their customers, but all Activision cares about is the bottom line, the shareholders, the profits.

Until people stop buying what they put out activision will not change. Why should they? They could put out Call of Duty: 8 - Sh!t on a stick, actually isnt a game but a piece of Bobby Koticks Sh!t in a bag attached to a stick. As long as you buy it then they will keep putting it out. Stop crying that "they don't care about pc", or "the consoles ruined pc gaming". That isn't true. We ruined pc gaming by allowing this to happen.

It's all about the profits.

popnfrresh wrote:

Fom another thread...

ZZub wrote:

I`M NOT BUYING IT!!

We ruined pc gaming by allowing this to happen.
    It's all about the profits.

That's business. That's the only way to survive especially in this economy. And, the console ruined pc gaming. That's where 90+% of the profits are.