22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2011 1:53 PM by leonhar13 RSS

Who has already canceled their credit card ?

I did just to be safe.  I would rather do it now then wait till it's too late.
  • Re: Who has already canceled their credit card ?

xONEMANWOLFPACKx wrote:

I did just to be safe.  I would rather do it now then wait till it's too late.

well according to these other idiots on this forum you have no reason to worry.

lol.

i think you have done the smart thing.
    Lancecasual
    I'm one of the idiots that hasn't, and I have no plans to do so.

Lancecasual wrote:

your life, your risk. i know i'd rather be safe than sorry.
    alexwoodgarbage
    it is a good idea to be extra catious.

However, if you don't, little chance your card will actually be used by those responsible for the intrusion.

I haven't, because:
    =1= CCV2 codes were not obtained
    =2= My card requires an additional password to be entered each time you use it online
    =3= My card requires a pin-code each time you physically try to use it

Chances are, your card requires the same...

and still, the only way to be sure..
    I did cancel mine, but I needed a new one for PayPal anyways. If I didn't need one for PP, I probably wouldn't have canceled it
    Jaynh75 ++

Lancecasual wrote:

I am one of those idiots too.
    steve10120

alexwoodgarbage wrote:

=2= My card requires an additional password to be entered each time you use it online

Same here, I think all banks in the UK use it now.  I have tried to order stuff online before and the site didn't support the enter password thing so I couldn't place the order.
    SICKSOUP

Lancecasual wrote:

im one of those idiots too, but im a safe idiot, i have 2 bank accounts and my psn account has no overdraft facility and only gets money in when i need to buy something, and if someone wants to steal my identity there quite welcome to it, they wont get very far lol
    longy01
    I understand what you guys are saying but would you really want to risk it for the sake of a 2 min chore? It wasn't my credit card details on the Psn, it was my Debit card. Someone using it online didn't worry me as much as some low life using it over the phone. What i mean to say is all they need is the card number, exp date and the 3 number code and your good to go. I know sony said the said code wasn't compromised but why risk it.
    rlbl

longy01 wrote:

I understand what you guys are saying but would you really want to risk it for the sake of a 2 min chore? It wasn't my credit card details on the Psn, it was my Debit card. Someone using it online didn't worry me as much as some low life using it over the phone. What i mean to say is all they need is the card number, exp date and the 3 number code and your good to go. I know sony said the said code wasn't compromised but why risk it.

Sound advice...

However I did not cancel mine.  Yes it only takes a bit of time to cancel it and have one reissued, however:

I have a few auto payments that come off of the card. It causes interruptions I do not need
    The CC numbers were encrypted
    The CVC numbers are required for online purchases (and they are not known)
    Hackers cannot call up my bank and ask for anything without security questions (and those questions/answers are only known by me)
    Other online purchasing I do (e.g. paypal etc..) have totally different a login/password combination than I use anywhere else.

Now this is the case for a credit card. I have been through fraud before on my CC (through real life merchants, not online... online is MUCH harder to do and is safer. Real life your card can get in someone else's hand).  Having charges reversed is an absolute joke. 

I would agree debit cards are a different story...

Because getting CC info is so easy online, there are a few things put in place to make it so even having the CC number alone is about as useless as boobs on a nun. This PSN breach has not made me feel any less secure about having my CC info online, or obtained.  Your number is known by a lot more places/people than you might imagine.  The sky is not falling.
    i have not canceled my card, my bank is fully aware of the situation and have done the necessary changes to make sure my accounts are safe 
    thought about it, never did cancel it. I did tell them to send me a new one with a smaller limit that i can use for online purchases. So when we finally get to play again that one is going in.
    easySTILLduhz_it

Jaynh75 ++ wrote:

Lancecasual wrote:

I am one of those idiots too.

i have also joined these 2 idiots.
    sennalike
    From the BBC...

Visa Europe, the company behind the Visa payment system. It explained that if card data was found to have been stolen and used to make unauthorised payments, users would not have to pick up the bill.

"Cardholders who are innocent victims of fraud will get their money back, subject to the terms and conditions of their bank," it said in a statement.

PlayStation Network members were urged not to cancel their cards at this stage.

A spokesman for Barclaycard said that such action was unnecessary until it was known if card numbers had fallen into the wrong hands.

If that proved to be the case, Sony would need to hand over the information to the UK Payments Administration - the umbrella body that oversees financial transactions including bank transfers and card payments.

The card numbers would then be identified and passed to relevant banks who could block them from use or elevate the level of monitoring for unusual activity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13231307
    MovinSoSlow18
    I am not canceling anything because its absurd to think that people would hack Sony to get credit card information from random people.
    purplestang69
    I'm just curious as to why use ur credit card, I have been the victim of identity theft from purchases over the internet a couple of years ago but now I just get a psn prepaid card to purchase stuff from the playstation store! It's a nightmare to prove u been the victim of theft n it takes a long time to get ur credit back in order
    easySTILLduhz_it

purplestang69 wrote:

I'm just curious as to why use ur credit card, I have been the victim of identity theft from purchases over the internet a couple of years ago but now I just get a psn prepaid card to purchase stuff from the playstation store! It's a nightmare to prove u been the victim of theft n it takes a long time to get ur credit back in order

because some people dont like going through the hassle of going to a store and waiting in line to buy something when you can do it without getting off your couch.
    I never used my credit card on PSN, I am That smart 

easySTILLduhz_it wrote:

purplestang69 wrote:

because some people dont like going through the hassle of going to a store and waiting in line to buy something when you can do it without getting off your couch.

i never thought about using a psn prepaid card, i have no problem going to gamestop and buying one, i spend most of my time at the mall anyways   but i will probably still use my card
    majorrodriguez

BrutalMan22 wrote:

Lancecasual wrote:

your life, your risk. i know i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Obviously for said reasons, there is no reason too. Plus there is no reason to call other people idiots when you don't even know them.
    Obvious idiot is obvious.... 
    padiego
    Get either an xbox or a wii.
    Better safe than sony  :P

padiego wrote:

Better safe than sony  :P

I have a Visa card, which means its a debit card. If my bank details do get taken (I would be very unlucky), I can getn it back off the bank anyway. I made sure of that before I signed up to it.

All I have to do is withdraw any money from my account. I dont have an overdraft, so theres nothing to worry about.