35 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2011 3:46 PM by trialstardragon RSS

average KD?

ArkansasBoy
What would you consider an "average" KD? I've heard many opinions on this, and i can never find an agreeable answer. I used to think about 1.00 was it, but if you look at every player's combat record in your lobby, usually you will only find 2-4 people with KD's above 1 (well, that's just from my observations).

But anyways, now I'd say about .80, what do you think?
  • Re: average KD?
    POKEE-MANZ
    .95-1.05

(Suicides, and dashboards. If two players dashboard in a game, or a team for example, the deaths get thrown off.)
    ya i heard its around .8
    1. For every kill there's a death, and vice-versa. 
    BeefiestAk
    I usually see foks with a .65 to about .95 for the most part in TDM lobby leaderboards.  Once in a great while I see someone over 2.5, but for the most part the high is usually 1.5 and the low is usually .4 or so making .90 the ballpark average I guess. 
    WesTheDuck

ArkansasBoy wrote:

What would you consider an "average" KD? I've heard many opinions on this, and i can never find an agreeable answer. I used to think about 1.00 was it, but if you look at every player's combat record in your lobby, usually you will only find 2-4 people with KD's above 1 (well, that's just from my observations).

The real average is 1. Just because someone dashboards doesn't mean they didn't get any deaths, it just means it doesn't show up.

WesTheDuck wrote:

ArkansasBoy wrote:

The real average is 1. Just because someone dashboards doesn't mean they didn't get any deaths, it just means it doesn't show up.

But you do have to take suicides in for account. So I would estimate between .90-.95.
    cy7s
    what i would really like to see is a distribution curve for K/D's
    Ishkandir
    Taking into account guests, suicides, dashboarding, and general lost connections, about tree fiddy.
    WesTheDuck

tarallo1 wrote:

WesTheDuck wrote:

ArkansasBoy wrote:

But you do have to take suicides in for account. So I would estimate between .90-.95.

I don't like to count those, nor do I think they should count to someone's K/D, but hey, that's just me. I'm sure we've all accidentally "fell" (more like slipped) off the side on Summit.
    TickTak77
    I would say somewhere between .7-.9, based on what I've seen. I'm one of those guys that checks out a lot of combat records when I hop into a lobby.

As far as a "good" KD goes - I think anything north of 1.00 is good. If you can get into a game and not die more times than you kill on majority, then that's good.
    unimsw
    My question... who cares? Don't bother keeping track of K/D. Boosters, connection issues, etc all make most stats meaningless. And please don't think I am saying this due to my "low" K/D. It's well above average.
    cy7s

unimsw wrote:

My question... who cares? Don't bother keeping track of K/D. Boosters, connection issues, etc all make most stats meaningless. And please don't think I am saying this due to my "low" K/D. It's well above average.

because its a fun way to keep track of how well you are doing
    Optimized OD

tarallo1 wrote:

WesTheDuck wrote:

ArkansasBoy wrote:

Not only that, but the word average in this case means something different than that of what it usually means.  Most people would think 1.00 would be the average, of course with fluctuations with suicides and dash boarding, it would change some...  But then you have to think of it from a math p.o.v.  Lets say there were only 2 people ever playing Black Ops.  One guy killed the other one 4 times and then the guy who died four times finally got a kill.  Their K/Ds are 4.0 and 0.25 respectively.  But their AVERAGE K/D is 2.25, because K/D cannot go below 1.0, therefore making any K/D average as many people understand invalid.

unimsw wrote:

if you don't care, i suggest don't bother with this thread.

like someone else said, the distribution curve is what we're really interested in. that said, when taking the average K/Ds of players, there should be a minimal amount of playing time to even consider them. playing time, a factor, that should increase along w/ time.

for example, a player has 5 days of playing time today; he is eligible to be used within the sample pool. next month he has 5 days and 12 hours of playing time. you wouldn't use him as a sample to get the average K/D of players. that would hopefully prevent new accounters, old accounts, boosters, etc. from tarnishing the results.
    There was a LONG thread on this topic some months back.  I'll try to summarize what I remember.....

- As someone mentioned above, you can't really take a mathematical mean (what most people think of as an "average") when the variable in question is a ratio (as KDR is). Instead you want to look for the median player (the person such that half of all players have a higher KDR than him/her and the other half of players have a lower one).

- Someone on Den Kirson's page actually tried to track this by checking the lobby leaderboards over the course of several days of playing.  IIRC, they found the median KDR to be in the .80 - .90 range. So while that was only a sample, yeah, it looks like the average person goes negative (modestly) on average.  (Which actually makes sense, I think, if you sit down and do the math on the statistical properties of ratios.)

If I'm wrong, or if someone else has the actual data, please chime in.
    Not sure about everyone else...but my average KD is .33...when I go beastmode it's .67
    faintassault

unimsw wrote:

So, what is the average K/D? That was the question. Not, "do we keep track?"
    gibgibownsu
    As a few people have mentioned about a .8-.95 is probably "average"... I don't think it matters AS much in objective games but it always is an important tracker. Mine is 1.00 :P I cap objectives A LOT!
    supaghost99

DarkShadow56 wrote:

this, 1.0+ is the average, 1 kill for 1 death. if you got less than L2P.
    gibgibownsu

supaghost99 wrote:

DarkShadow56 wrote:

this, 1.0+ is the average, 1 kill for 1 death. if you got less than L2P.

inaccurate do to suicides, it has to be below 1.0

The question becomes what do we mean when we say "average k/d"? To make this stat meaningful at all, we certainly mean that I if pick players at random from the leaderboards, on average what is their k/d? Hence every player is weighted the same.

In this sense, the average k/d is certainly not 1, not even close if fact.

For every beast there are 10,000 kids with 0-0.7 k/ds such that their total kills / total deaths is the inverse of the good players stats. (So the stats even out to a 1 kd in total)

His number is only counted once (say 3.05), the fact that he has 80,000 kills does not make him more "powerful" in the system. The bad numbers are counted 10,000 times. Bad players and infrequent players dominate the system. Not the diehards, or even the average players.

Conclusion: Average k/d is probably around .4-.5 . If you put no restrictions on how many lifetime kills someone needs to be counted, it's probably even worse.

I would like to know:

Average kd with players over 10k kills

"                    "             over 20k kills

"                     "             over 50K kills

So on.

Factor out all the people who haven't played enough to be relavent.

Like someone who went 0-1 and never played again shouldn't be counted.

You could do this in about a second if you had access to the leaderboard in a spreadsheet.

ximrampage
    An Average KD curve would be great!
    But how would you take into account people(Noobs/Wankstains) that dashboard?
    A system where every kill/death you get is automatically put onto your combat record would be great!
    From what i have seen the general skill level on Black Ops is low! Over half the people that play have a less then 1 Kd which is poor. I only play search and my Kd is 2.33. It makes me laugh when i got into a game and see a guy with a 4 kd and think shhiiiiiiiit, he dies in the first round and ".... has disconnected due to transmission erroe" and i laugh and send him/her abusive messages. I always report dashboarders for cheating. I expect they have lost days and days of play on the record from dashing so much. Sad People.
    scottyarms81

POKEE-MANZ wrote:

.95-1.05

(Suicides, and dashboards. If two players dashboard in a game, or a team for example, the deaths get thrown off.)

stupid question but I was never 100% sure

dashboarding is if they turn off their machine while playing...if you leave the match by hitting quit game is that still considered dashboarding?
    R4ZOR            94 PL

scottyarms81 wrote:

stupid question but I was never 100% sure

dashboarding is if they turn off their machine while playing...if you leave the match by hitting quit game is that still considered dashboarding?

If you press quit its not dashboarding, as it saves all your stats and if you are host, host migration kicks in, rather than game ending for everyone in case of dashing...
    ximrampage
    How can you not know what dashboarding is?
    It says it in the name.
    It where you go from the game to the dashboard
    (Press xbox button, press Y, up then A)  I think, im not at my console.
    All I know is mine is .93 Im an average player in tdm or objectives, but I rule barebones, I still however, dont think i'll ever see a 1.0 or better. Unless im playing bad company. in which Im a 1.03 but thats another story. 
    cole train11
    average kd will not be 1. lets me give you a simple situation. lets imagine there are 2 people playing cod. one guy gets 5-1 and the other gets 1-5. whats the average kd? let me tell you now its not 1. one guy has a 5kd and the other has a 0.2 kd

usin simple maths 5 + 0.2 / 2 = 2.6. so the average kd in this lobby would be 2.6.

either way i can tell you its not 1 but i havnt a clue what the actual figure is
    bodite
    It's hard to say. I haven't hit my plateau yet.

I was at about a .64. When I upgraded my internet my KD started rising. Weather or not from placebo, I don't know. But I'm sitting at .87 right now and i've got a lot of deaths under my belt to erase. I'd say lately my average would be above 1.

PS. I love how much everybody is really THINKING about this. lol.
    Kakashi no Kira
    The average kd ratio nowadays on cod is from the 0.70 to 1.00 range...

6 out of 12 people in most lobbies have a kd ratio of 0.70 to 1.00...

3 of them will have a kd ratio of 1.01 to 1.20

The other three will have a kd ratio of 1.21 and greater...

This is just my observations based on s&d lobbies but it will vary from game type to game type.

My kd ratio is 1.56 which is not the average kd is guess... but you'll sometimes see people with a kd of 1.50 to 1.80.

I've also seen some people with a kd of 2.00! Yesterday I saw a guy with 3.14
    A distribution curve would be awesome.   Maybe a suggestion for the suggestion box of COD:Elite????  

I'd think the bell-curve would be pretty scewed.   1 super beast (not me hehe) could go like 4.00 a bunch of round but could really hurt the super fish and push multiple players down to .5

I'm guestimating .7-.85
    Caledjose
    im 15th prestige with 23days played.. k/d 1.05 game 1.01
    i usually just played objective modes.. die alot...
    black ops was the first call of duty fps ever played...

so why is there people talking trash about my combat record every time they see my combat record...

65,439 kills
    60,238 deaths
    cy7s

Caledjose wrote:

im 15th prestige with 23days played.. k/d 1.05 game 1.01
    i usually just played objective modes.. die alot...
    black ops was the first call of duty fps ever played...

so why is there people talking trash about my combat record every time they see my combat record...

65,439 kills
    60,238 deaths

wrong thread
    Well with my .94 kd I am average now!  I clawed my way up from .57 only 4600 more deaths to make up to get even-  :shock: 

Yes I think it would be nice to to see a median kd with the bellshape curve.  I actually liked stats in college.  But it's been 15 years..... is median what I am looking for?

Anyway nice to know I have gone from -

"Are you even trying to kill anyone"

to.....

"At least he is capturing flags"

to.......

"How did you go 34-8 last round and 8-17 this round?"

mine is 1.71 with 120000 kills.  I don't dashboard or any of that dumb ****.  I do see alot of em with a range of .89 to 1.1