38 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 8:05 PM by iil4zyii RSS

COD gonna penalize quitters ?

Omece1
First of all, English is not my primary language so be kind to me.

Okay, Im tired of ppl quitting from my game because someone is raping them with a Chopper Gunner or Gunship the whole game, i dont care if the game keep going but it dosnt !!! The host quit the game because he is getting raped and the game ends, that sucks, why do you penalize the player that is doing fine in the game ? COD should not have a quitting option in the menu, if you start a game its because you want to play, isnt it ? then why you want to have a quitting option ? If you gonna still have the quitting option you should penalize ppl who quit from game, if you quit 3 games u cannot play online for 15 mins, if you quit 5 times = 30mins, 6 or more = 1 hour of multiplayer or degrade the person 1 lvl or 2 lvls.

I know im not the only one that feel this pain, If you ppl dont penalize the person u is a rage quitter, then its because u want to attract noobs to your game because u want to sell copies, i want to play elite, not a noobs game... What you ppl think ?
  • Re: COD gonna penalize quitters ?
    Bad idea. It is not fair to anyone to be stuck in a game, and to be punished if they leave early. People would dashboard, anyways.
    ghosthound
    Treyarch or any other gaming company for that matter can't prevent players - dashboarding / ejecting their disc / unplugging their internet cable or power cable.

Just learn to accept that some people don't like losing. 
    myevo8you
    If they did this, then they should penalize the players who camp to earn their killstreaks, who killfarm in objective games, and put a filter on the game so you HAVE to have a good connection to even play the game online. People who play objective games and wind up going 100-2 with 0 caps 0 defends should be banned for 1 week, people who camp corners to earn a chopper gunner should be banned for a week, and those without a set upload/download speed and proper ping should not even be allowed to connect to the online system.
    dstr001

Omece1 wrote:

Okay, Im tired of ppl quitting from my game because someone is raping them with a Chopper Gunner or Gunship the whole game, i dont care if the game keep going but it dosnt !!! The host quit the game because he is getting raped and the game ends, that sucks, why do you penalize the player that is doing fine in the game ? COD should not have a quitting option in the menu, if you start a game its because you want to play, isnt it ? then why you want to have a quitting option ? If you gonna still have the quitting option you should penalize ppl who quit from game, if you quit 3 games u cannot play online for 15 mins, if you quit 5 times = 30mins, 6 or more = 1 hour of multiplayer or degrade the person 1 lvl or 2 lvls.

I know im not the only one that feel this pain, If you ppl dont penalize the person u is a rage quitter, then its because u want to attract noobs to your game because u want to sell copies, i want to play elite, not a noobs game... What you ppl think ?

What the hell is wrong with you OP? So you are saying that i should not be allowed to leave if i'm not enjoying my game, just because you get annoyed at not being able to kill me more? Give me a break.

My main reasons for leaving (NOT dashboarding, just going to the MP menu) include teammates who refuse to go for objectives, having quickscopers in my team OR the other team, and having full teams of ghost campers. Not to mention there are also times when the game has to be put down, such as the door being chapped or the phone ringing, what do you want me to do? just stand there and let you kill me? NO
    ball ache2008

dstr001 wrote:

Omece1 wrote:

What the hell is wrong with you OP? So you are saying that i should not be allowed to leave if i'm not enjoying my game, just because you get annoyed at not being able to kill me more? Give me a break.

My main reasons for leaving (NOT dashboarding, just going to the MP menu) include teammates who refuse to go for objectives, having quickscopers in my team OR the other team, and having full teams of ghost campers. Not to mention there are also times when the game has to be put down, such as the door being chapped or the phone ringing, what do you want me to do? just stand there and let you kill me? NO

Leaving is fine and if you leave via the start menu it doesn't bother anybody and even if you're host we still get a host migration. Its when people leave by dashboarding that creates the problems.

The EU4M played 6 games yesterday and 4 of them ended with dashboards before the game finished. I do believe it is time to penalise this but i do not know how it would be best done. I personally think a statistic saying "% matches completed" would be enough as many of the people who dashboard do so to protect statistics and this would instantly discredit them which would hopefully remove the problem.
    Bieltan
    I agree with BA.

I also think there needs to be a connection filter - the ONLY reason you should ever have for 1 barring is your connection, not because you got matched up against people on the other side of the planet
    ball ache2008

Bieltan wrote:

I agree with BA.

I also think there needs to be a connection filter - the ONLY reason you should ever have for 1 barring is your connection, not because you got matched up against people on the other side of the planet

However much i agree with this it would be very hard to manage and would be out of the developers hands for most of it. There are other instances also such as a game is going fine, host leaves and migration occurs. Nobody in the lobby got strong enough internet to host so host is chosen who gives a couple of players a 1 bar. Not really the new hosts problem but all players would at least be happier that the game continues then it ends....

If you are 1 barring you could still quit reasonably often and still maintain a % completition of around 80-100% which people may understand. The serial dashboarders with their 3+ KD would have a much lower % completition and would still stand out much more then just that they may often get thrown into laggy one bar games.

I agree that there should be a more efficient filter in place but i just don't think its as easy to implement as we hope.
    Bieltan
    Maybe you could have an option to get the game to check out what your connection to the potential host would be, so you could cut out getting matched up with Japanese/brazilian/aussie hosts? I dont have anything against them apart from irritation at being well outta sync with em, and I suspect the feeling would go both ways depending on who got host.

I wouldn't derive any satisfaction from stomping a bunch of guys who were one barring. Well, I'd feel guilty about it at least.
    Youmakenosense

Eknud wrote:

Bad idea. It is not fair to anyone to be stuck in a game, and to be punished if they leave early. People would dashboard, anyways.

Of course it's fair.
    If you want to leave then leave WITH THE LEAVE OPTION IN THE GAME otherwise get punished.

Halo punishes those who quit early so obviously it can be done and MS doesn't mind. That means the only reason it doesn't happen is because TRE likes it this way.
    highlandsparky
    Sometimes you have no choice but to leave if someone's at your door, important call etc. As long as their not dashboarding there's not a problem.
    Th3_Ju99anaut
    Let's all be honest....all of us at 1 time or another has left a game for many reasons...including because they feel stuck....

I leave all the time....

Hell I'll leave when I jump on a game and spectate to see how the team I got put on is doing.....if I see the other team has guys 50-3 and my team mates are 3-50 I'm jumping out as soon as I can.

Sorry if that pisses some of you off...but I'm not wasting my time, I don't like losing especially if I wasn't the main source of it.....

It's like changing a baseball team at the top of the 9th inning and you're down 14-0....sure you have a "Chance" but as limited as it is what's the point?

And besides...aside from dashboarding....you do get penalized a bit....it does effect your stats.
    ball ache2008

Th3_Ju99anaut wrote:

Let's all be honest....all of us at 1 time or another has left a game for many reasons...including because they feel stuck....

I leave all the time....

Hell I'll leave when I jump on a game and spectate to see how the team I got put on is doing.....if I see the other team has guys 50-3 and my team mates are 3-50 I'm jumping out as soon as I can.

Sorry if that pisses some of you off...but I'm not wasting my time, I don't like losing especially if I wasn't the main source of it.....

It's like changing a baseball team at the top of the 9th inning and you're down 14-0....sure you have a "Chance" but as limited as it is what's the point?

And besides...aside from dashboarding....you do get penalized a bit....it does effect your stats.

No problem with people leaving through the start menu. Its the dashboarders where it causes problems. This is what we are saying. The option to leave the game should be available but punishments should be given to those who dashboard preventing a host migration and/ or causing netwrok issues briefly whilst they quit. The leave option is available and if the players choose to avoid/ ignore this option and choose to quit through other means to protect their stats then they should be penalised.
    I think dashboarding is over all stupid and people who do it should be ashamed.  Its a game guys.  I think it should have worked to where as soon as you start getting negative k/d it automatically post on your combat record.  So even if they dashboard to preserve stats, its stuck on there anyway.
    pj600r
    I have to agree with some of the other posters, the matchmaking in this game is crap.

Why should anybody be penalised ie. Not being able to rejoin for 15 minutes, if 3arc or whoever runs the matchmaking can't get it right.

In the last 4 weeks since the patch I have probably only started about 25% of my games from the start lobby, I keep getting put in games that are nearly over or the opposition has dogs or a CG up so if i want to quit I will do, I bet over half of my losses have come this way but I don't give a **** about my stats.

In the UK last week we had a lot of electrical storms and we kept getting power cuts twice I lost power whilst playing and if I was host it looks like I dash boarded but I couldn't care less.

It's a ******* video game so just play and don't worry what other people are doing cos you didn't pay for their game or Xbox live.

If you don't like the system play Halo instead.
    Bieltan
    It should only apply to habitual ridiculous dashboarders. If you've got beat because of a crap host (you are on 1 bar for example), or matchmaking leaving you on your own due to your entire team leaving and not replacing them, I can understand someone wanting to wipe that particular stain off your CR. But that doesnt happen too terribly often, which is why a left early % stat would be good. You could easily tell the difference between someone who has had a few sh*t happens moments, and someone who turns tail at the first sign of a beating or competition. Then those who crap out of games would find that a lot of people would simply avoid playing with them for fear of a host dash, or premature end to a game.
    Take yesterday for example - played 4 games - 3 dashes.

One was just as the scores were about to appear and the second as the score was 197 to us.

Seriously, if you dash because you're "godly" KDR is going to take a hit, sell the damn game.

You're not good - just admit it and do us all a favour.
    pj600r
    If you have a left early stat on your records it would have to include amount of times dash boarded else it would be of no value to anyone and if you dashboard your stats are not recorded properly so it wouldn't work.

As I said before if you pay for someone else's game you have the right to dictate if not just get on with your own game.

The COD community seems to have a fascination with other players stats that will stop with MW3 cos if you don't sign up for the Elite service you won't get the full picture about other players.

With any luck stats won't play such a big part in MW3 cos thats why this game has got slow and stale too many people worry about K/D ratio etc and it shows in the gameplay.

Can any of you who played MW or MW2 really remember caring how well other players did cos you had no way of knowing so it didn't bother most people and both games were much better paced.
    Bieltan
    It's kinda hard to get on with the game when the entire enemy team keeps leaving or the host dashboards.
    ball ache2008

pj600r wrote:

If you have a left early stat on your records it would have to include amount of times dash boarded else it would be of no value to anyone and if you dashboard your stats are not recorded properly so it wouldn't work.

As I said before if you pay for someone else's game you have the right to dictate if not just get on with your own game.

The COD community seems to have a fascination with other players stats that will stop with MW3 cos if you don't sign up for the Elite service you won't get the full picture about other players.

With any luck stats won't play such a big part in MW3 cos thats why this game has got slow and stale too many people worry about K/D ratio etc and it shows in the gameplay.

Can any of you who played MW or MW2 really remember caring how well other players did cos you had no way of knowing so it didn't bother most people and both games were much better paced.

If you structured the infrastructure correctly you could record the amount of dashboards in the statistic.

As for statistics i believe you are misinformed about elite. All the features you have on BO plus a few others are available free of charge with the elite service. We do not know too much about the payment side yet. So basically it will be the same if not worse with MW3 as the growing trend is statistics are more important then winning the game and/ or honour in the game.

Bieltan wrote:

It's kinda hard to get on with the game when the entire enemy team keeps leaving or the host dashboards.

Quoted for truth.
    ball ache2008

VTi wrote:

Bieltan wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Exactly. Just because somebody "paid" for a game does not give them the right to damage another players quality of gaming. The gaming world has become far too selfish if people believe they can do what they want without thinking about all the others they are damaging with their actions.

You wouldn't pay to go swimming and then pee in the pool with the argument "i paid to come here, i can do what i want"......

ball ache2008 wrote:

VTi wrote:

Bieltan wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Exactly. Just because somebody "paid" for a game does not give them the right to damage another players quality of gaming. The gaming world has become far too selfish if people believe they can do what they want without thinking about all the others they are damaging with their actions.

You wouldn't pay to go swimming and then pee in the pool with the argument "i paid to come here, i can do what i want"......

Actually, having worked as a lifeguard at a large waterpark for many summers, you would be surprised at what people think they can do because they paid to get in...

But back on topic, there is no way to fairly punish people who quit in the middle of games. I think I talked about implementing penalties for quitting last week with a couple regulars, and came to the conclusion that we must change peoples attitudes, not the game.

So no, I dont think that they will ever penalize quitters.
    mojocu
    Perfect Fix:

Quit percentage.

If you quit 10% of games, you get paired in lobbies with others who quit 10%.  The more you quit, the more likely you are to be in games with other quitters.  If you never quit, you'll be paired with people who never quit. 

It'd serve the players who dashboard/quit all the time something straight back at them.

This idea could be called:
    'Treat others like you want to be treated'.
    pj600r
    In the online world the only one who dictates what you do,see,play, view on the Internet is yourself within the set rules.

If quitting is not against the rules people will always do it, thats the point I was trying to make.

The point I was making about Elite is if myself and the people I play BO with don't sign up you can't track my stats and we can't track anybody else's which is how it should be cos unlike a lot of the community I don't care if someone has a 3K/D or has 25000 kills with the Famas it doesn't affect how I play.
    THE REAL BIRLEY
    I agree with you cod should rank the person down 1 level each time they quit, just keep it simple. Nearly everytime I join a game mid match someone always has dogs with chopper gunner and its a massive pain cos we all have to pay for those rubbish players getting owned then backing out please listen!!
    myevo8you

THE REAL BIRLEY wrote:

I agree with you cod should rank the person down 1 level each time they quit, just keep it simple. Nearly everytime I join a game mid match someone always has dogs with chopper gunner and its a massive pain cos we all have to pay for those rubbish players getting owned then backing out please listen!!

So basically if I play 10 matches and I'm host and EVERYONE has 3-4 bars, then a guy from Australia gets into the lobby and HE gets host and we start the game and my team 1 bars I SHOULD GET PENALIZED because we leave? Don't think so. This form of stupidity is what ruins the game. I WILL NOT, and I repeat WILL NOT stick in a lobby that I have 1-2 bars in because of host selection. There have been games where they give a guy host and it will be so laggy that I will throw a grenade, do the throwing animation, and then 2 seconds later the grenade appears. Sorry but there is NO WAY that I am sticking around for that. I can GUARANTEE you that my internet is faster than 99% of the people that play this game online. I have a 10-15 ms ping to EVERY STATE, and have a 50 meg download, and 5 meg upload. According to the tests it is in the 100th percentile of ALL internet in the US. Technically I should get host everytime I play, yet there are a few players that I know PERSONALLY that have DSL connections that get host WHILE I'M IN THE LOBBY, and everyone runs 1-3 bars, and the host is the ONLY person with 4 bars.
    I think they should have a quit stat.  Right Above the K/dr
    starbuckfrack

Omece1 wrote:

Microsoft put an AVOID choice on their console. If you lookk you will see one of the choices is unsportsman like conduct followed by "leaving the game early". Use that choice and it affects their rep online.

Game companies will not do anything drastic to the players because THAT CHIOCE is already on the Xbox for that reason.
    FERRARI_250
    Hmm...by your logic, spawn trappers should be penalized since they ruin the other team's game. (yes, I am against these ass holes)

Campers should be penalized because they sometimes ruin the game. (if you hate campers, you seriously suck at the game)

Rushers should be penalized because they can sometimes ruin the game.

And if you think the quit button should be removed, consider this:
    -Have to take a sh*t/piss badly? oh well, have to wait till the game ends or find some spot to lay down at and risk being killed 10 times.
    -Phone rings? Can't quit, so gotta find a spot to sit at and risk being killed 5 times. Long phone call? Have fun being spawn killed 20 times.
    -Have to go somewhere? Say good bye to anything you earned mid-match.

Jesus...out of everything people complain about, they MUST whine about the quit button.
  • {no subject}
    Somme Guy
    It sounds like a reasonable idea but gets toppled with the crappy host switching where everyone gets force to the lobby or somewhere else.
    Why not make it so when a player quits 10% of his/hers cod points and xp is taken away?
    djcorpix

starbuckfrack wrote:

Omece1 wrote:

Microsoft put an AVOID choice on their console. If you lookk you will see one of the choices is unsportsman like conduct followed by "leaving the game early". Use that choice and it affects their rep online.

Game companies will not do anything drastic to the players because THAT CHIOCE is already on the Xbox for that reason.

What if the game itself displayed the users rep in their stats?  People would take rep more seriously.
    M1dn1ghtsSh4d0w
    Of course, I can see why it's bothersome to most people that people end up quitting, but as an example from actually having to do so sometimes people just have to leave. Something comes up and they can't finish the game and end up having to leave. My mom backed into my car the other day and well I had no choice but to leave. I wasn't hosting, and I'm not sure if it stalls the game, but I don't think it does... but still things happen. But I'm not defending everyone who ends up quitting, yes there are some sore losers out there who are only in it to win it and if they keep getting killed they will leave. Which sucks, but it's life. Myself play for the love of the game and just for the fun of it even if I do suck at playing. (new to COD    )
    Bieltan

FERRARI_250 wrote:

Hmm...by your logic, spawn trappers should be penalized since they ruin the other team's game. (yes, I am against these ass holes)

Campers should be penalized because they sometimes ruin the game. (if you hate campers, you seriously suck at the game)

Rushers should be penalized because they can sometimes ruin the game.

And if you think the quit button should be removed, consider this:
    -Have to take a sh*t/piss badly? oh well, have to wait till the game ends or find some spot to lay down at and risk being killed 10 times.
    -Phone rings? Can't quit, so gotta find a spot to sit at and risk being killed 5 times. Long phone call? Have fun being spawn killed 20 times.
    -Have to go somewhere? Say good bye to anything you earned mid-match.

Jesus...out of everything people complain about, they MUST whine about the quit button.

I think its less the existance of it, more the overuse of it. Anyhoo, if the other team is spawn trapping to complete the objective unhindered, that is fair. If people are camping, then that is fine as we are still playing we just have to adjust our approach. However when 4 people back out because a CG or some Dogs got called in, that is NOT cool as the 2 guys who were sporting enough to carry on are suddenly left to bear the full brunt. And tbh they usually leave when they realise this and I cant blame them.

So, by your logic, camping and spawn trapping, both scenarios in which YOU ARE STILL PLAYING THE GAME, are as bad as that? 4 sore losers wrecking a game for the other 8 who still wanted to play it? Dont think so.

btw, when caught short by a call of nature or whatnot, I've always found a spot to hide. I have yet to die from doing this, I even pulled it off on NUKETOWN

djcorpix wrote:

starbuckfrack wrote:

What if the game itself displayed the users rep in their stats?  People would take rep more seriously.

Rep is never going to be taken seriously.. In fact, if you have a higher percentage of players avoiding you it's probably a good thing - Because if you're hated, you're doing something right  It's such a useless feature though.
    I can understand some things needed to be attended to...what better time to leave when the enemy has a chopper and dogs on the field right.  Good time to take a piss then right?
    acrididae

i know some call of dutyies you get penalized for  playing about 30 minutes or so whenever you rage quit a lot. I know I've done it several times tonight, because I'd get spawn killed constantly. So, I take the loss over getting pissed off that the opposing team is camping the spawn point just to get kills so easily with out challenges. otherwise, I've got no problem with people killing me with skill.

iil4zyii

I would love this idea to be implemented. They did this for Halo. If you quit a couple of games you would get penalized, and the more you quit in the day the longer the penalty would be. It really does discourage dashbording and rage quitting.

I wish they'd add it for Black Ops 2. Thanks to Youtube and MLG the CoD community has become all about stats, whether its K:D, W:L, highest killstreak. Everyone boasts about their stats and brags about how good they are. Reason for this is because these type of players never stay in a game they're losing because it'll "Mess Up" their stats, which arent even accurate in the first place because they never finish a game that they're doing bad in.

Bet they'll think twice before they quit/dashboard to preserve their stats especially if it means: You lose XP, stats,  and cant play multiplayer for 15 minutes minimum(increasing everytime you quit).