22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 5:55 AM by chuck-182 RSS

Theater - and when it doesn't record games

Hello,

We have recently been getting an influx of reports from people that some games are not being recorded and made available in Recent Games. This isn't new in any way, shape, or form.

Really long games (where the size of the Theater replay gets too big) can get cut off or dropped. Some of you had figured this out already; we print a message in Private Matches that even says this.

I wouldn't expect anyone to understand the design and technology trade-offs you make when designing features, although we still do our best to explain them.

Doing the Theater the way we do it (network storage instead of local storage) is great in that it allows you to see any person on the teams view in 1st person, and not just 1st person of the host, or yourself, and 3rd person for everyone else.

Much of the great Theater footage, montages, and machinima that have been made would not be possible had we done it a different way.

It comes with the downside that you are not recording your own games. The host is. If the host can't handle it in a public game (runs out of bandwidth, etc) we drop the recording so as to not compromise the game experience.

As a first person shooter, this was a critical design decision for us and one I am personally glad we made even to this day.

We understand that it can be frustrating to not be able to access Recent Game where you had that double bank shot quad non-scope ladder stall 360. We get it. Personally, I had a great 4-banger grenade I wanted to brag about and couldn't get to it. A little piece of my soul died.

The feature is very reliable and has a great success rate consider the sheer number of games that get played every second of every single day. It is an incredibly stable feature for as complex and heavy hitting as it is.

The next time you can't access a Recent Game you really wanted, please take a deep breath, and consider how many games did make it Recent Games for the thousands being played right now, and how far we've come from not having this feature in Call of Duty at all to where it is today and where it can go in the future.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar
  • Re: Theater - and when it doesn't record games
    ^adam9212^
    I've had a couple games i've wanted to access but couldn't find in Theatre, so much appreciated for coming on the forums and explaining the reason!
    While you're here though.. Any news on the Gunship glitch getting fixed any time soon? I still get the uncontrollable glitch almost everytime.
    whiteknight1902
    I am experiencing a different problem to this, everytime I try and record a game or put it into my fileshare I get a blue and green checkerboard effect where a picture of the map is and the recording cant be viewed by anyone else.

This has only happend since the last update for me, also its nearly impossible for me and my friends to find a game when we are in a party of six players and this has only happend since the last update aswell.
    AxePhoenix93
    My bigges problem is when I've got some friends with me watching a clip and when I do something like rewind they see nothing
    brandaman
    Makes sense.
    urbanevirtuoso
    This has gotten very aggravating, but at the very least it's nice to see some explanation. This doesn't happen nearly as it did before the update, so I'm pretty damn sure it has something to do with that too.
    The games where the host dashboards or when their connection (or mine) legitimately drop don't bother me whatsoever, it's the ones where their is no obvious reason for the failure to record the games.

It happens occasionally but I had a spell the other day where none of my games recorded for over an hour (about 5 or 6 games in total, think there was 1 host migration during the hour). I think this may have had something to do with it that I was in an Xbox Live party during all of these games and as soon as I came back on later that night they all recorded fine again.

I also checked my friend's recent games (who I was in the Xbox Live party with) and none of the games recorded in his file share either.
    rvtraveller26
    Vahn,

Do the game recordings get transferred to the new host during a host migration?  If so, would this account for a perceived increase in failed host migrations because the old host kills his connection prior to getting the footage transferred?

-rvtraveller
    cy7s
    seems to be a more common problem when playing CTF when you go into overtime, lost the start of one game where i went 89-1 and the whole game where i went 89-5, but i guess its a good thing i dont upload videos to youtube
    zachdavis11
    The ONLY game where I  get a *insert high angle here* tomahawk over B-bomb building on Stadium right before getting Ammo.

I was SO happy. Went to theater > The File you are looking for could not be found or has been removed.

it went downhill from there. 
    I always thought Theater is one of the features TA perfected. I rarely get games that aren't recorded, but did anyone knowthat you can't watch any video from DLC maps if you don't have it downloaded?

I found that out the hard way.... 
    brandaman

Platinumb wrote:

I always thought Theater is one of the features TA perfected. I rarely get games that aren't recorded, but did anyone knowthat you can't watch any video from DLC maps if you don't have it downloaded?

That's because it doesn't record it, it kinda recreates the game from the host's POV. Same in Halo's.
    Bieltan
    Its a shame when it goes wrong, but I'd rather have it in its current incarnation than not at all!

Theater does NOT like Ground War though
    urbanevirtuoso

Brandaman wrote:

Platinumb wrote:

That's because it doesn't record it, it kinda recreates the game from the host's POV. Same in Halo's.

Except that the latter does it better - by far.

Brandaman wrote:

Platinumb wrote:

I just find it kinda lame to not let you watch your own videos that you did because you deleted the DLC.
    kastro187420
    I had a game not record last night, a TDM on Launch. I was actually host too. At the very least, it would be nice if instead of "dropping" the recording, it simply saved what it had recorded so that we can go back and pull clips from that, instead of losing everything about that match.
    Theater actually runs the game engine and loads the map to play back clips or games. So, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that it actually won't work if you no longer have the map installed that the clip was made on.

It's not actually video and never has been. It doesn't get converted to video until you Render Clip.

Black Ops doesn't have an in-game video playback mechanism, never has and never will.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar
    vims1990

It comes with the downside that you are not recording your own games. The host is. If the host can't handle it in a public game (runs out of bandwidth, etc) we drop the recording so as to not compromise the game experience.

I think that's fair enough though as you implementing ways to reduce delay lag & frame rate issues with the game.

But what I've noticed recently is that when players start leaving & joining the session, there's sudden lag spike & connection interruptions during the session.
    TL Bare  B

vims1990 wrote:

I think that's fair enough though as you implementing ways to reduce delay lag & frame rate issues with the game.

But what I've noticed recently is that when players start leaving & joining the session, there's sudden lag spike & connection interruptions during the session.

You're not the only one, happens quite a lot if you roll with a good team and your pasting the enemy.

Vahn wrote:

Theater actually runs the game engine and loads the map to play back clips or games. So, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that it actually won't work if you no longer have the map installed that the clip was made on.

I think I might be going out on a limb here, but it might be due to the fact we didn't develop the game, and thus, don't actually understand how theater works? Who knows, I may be way off

Regardless, do you guys have any ideas on how to further improve Theater Mode for your future Call of Duty installments?

Marksmen123
    I totally understand, and thank you for posting the thread.

One thing though.

When I play Ground War, literally everytime the game only saves ~4 minutes of it, when it's usually ~8min. I know you said longer games may not be fully recorded, but when I play Demolition, and Headquarters, those games last 10 - 15 minutes each, and they fully save. If you don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the specific playlist, can you please respond? I've been avoiding Ground War because of the risk that I might get an insane multi-kill, only to realize that it happened near the end of the match and it didn't save. Again, thank you for making this thread.
    FeltMeUp

Marksmen123 wrote:

I totally understand, and thank you for posting the thread.

One thing though.

When I play Ground War, literally everytime the game only saves ~4 minutes of it, when it's usually ~8min. I know you said longer games may not be fully recorded, but when I play Demolition, and Headquarters, those games last 10 - 15 minutes each, and they fully save. If you don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the specific playlist, can you please respond? I've been avoiding Ground War because of the risk that I might get an insane multi-kill, only to realize that it happened near the end of the match and it didn't save. Again, thank you for making this thread.

same problem but only records 3 to 4 mins of gameplay.
    Yep same for me when I play Ground War, and this is only recent I believe because I've been playing Ground War for awhile and I only notice it about a month or two ago.