6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2011 8:36 AM by dbd_lobo RSS

hypothetical

FoW BBgun
This just is a wandering thought...
OK what if Black OPs wasn't ported from XBox. What improvements in play-ablity would be expected?
part 2, Why not make it 64 bit it is common in the Windows now, so the processor is being used to the fullest. So possibly a weaker CPU may be able to hang tighter.
Just some musings 
  • Re: hypothetical

    FoW BBgun wrote:

     


    part 2, Why not make it 64 bit it is common in the Windows now, so the processor is being used to the fullest. So possibly a weaker CPU may be able to hang tighter.



    Not everyone has 64 bit windows.
  • Re: hypothetical

    FoW BBgun wrote:

     

    This just is a wandering thought...
    OK what if Black OPs wasn't ported from XBox. What improvements in play-ablity would be expected?
    part 2, Why not make it 64 bit it is common in the Windows now, so the processor is being used to the fullest. So possibly a weaker CPU may be able to hang tighter.
    Just some musings 




    Do you mean designed on PC with a entirely seperate build? Or do you mean designed on PC and then ported over to Xbox?

    If it were a seperarate build, it would require many more man hours to make 2 seperate games, the way that is is currently done you just use the least common denominator and make it standard, in other word use the worse platform and build on that. To build it from a higher standard and port it down from that would mean that the lower standard would miss out on most of the features of the higher standard.

    This also carries over to why they do not use 64-bit.
  • Re: hypothetical
    FoW BBgun
    You guys have forgotten the point... this with hypothetical. As to what advantages this would be? Would it help lag and such? What would a 64 bit act like???? This is not about cost but quality of play, BC3 is going PC, but 64 players I can see as laggy as all get out then add in older computers..
    So ???
  • Re: hypothetical

    FoW BBgun wrote:

     

    You guys have forgotten the point... this with hypothetical. As to what advantages this would be? Would it help lag and such? What would a 64 bit act like???? This is not about cost but quality of play, BC3 is going PC, but 64 players I can see as laggy as all get out then add in older computers..
    So ???



    So hypothetically speaking, you would put in too many variables to determine what would happen, if you look at some of those "laggy" issues are not caused by how many bits an OS or a game is running at, but rather internet speed, what programs are running in the background speed of the computer, RAM, HD type, Graphics card, etc.

    But if you are wondering how a game written to operate on a 64-bit machine only using only the highest processer available, on the fastest internet or LAN possible, I am sure that it would look great, but I doubt that if you used a 32-bit machine only using only the highest processer available, on the fastest internet or LAN possible that you would even barely notice a difference.

    I mean can you honestly tell me that you can notice a difference between a computer running Windows 7  on 64-bit compared to the same machine running 32-bit?
  • Re: hypothetical
    FoW BBgun
    Then it is way to bad that the infra structure / internet in the US is based on greed. 'Cause I have read where your upload speed maters and unless you can afford the prices upload is about a 1/3 download. Messed around in config files enough to know what works on this machine.
    I have played with a few PCs over the years and while in school noticed a difference,  in CPUs with cache and over all speed, and even this one going from 4 to 8 gigs of ram. BO played even better as it used more. Granted this is an AMD system and smoothed out a bit when OC'd to 3.6. So could I tell the difference maybe maybe not... by the seat of your pants betcha you could in the right scenario. 
  • Re: hypothetical

    FoW BBgun wrote:

     

    Then it is way to bad that the infra structure / internet in the US is based on greed. 'Cause I have read where your upload speed maters and unless you can afford the prices upload is about a 1/3 download. Messed around in config files enough to know what works on this machine.
    I have played with a few PCs over the years and while in school noticed a difference,  in CPUs with cache and over all speed, and even this one going from 4 to 8 gigs of ram. BO played even better as it used more. Granted this is an AMD system and smoothed out a bit when OC'd to 3.6. So could I tell the difference maybe maybe not... by the seat of your pants betcha you could in the right scenario. 



    I fail to understand how your opinion on business practices in the US has anything to do with 64-bit Operating Systems, it is my understanding that things of political nature are not to be discussed in these forums. (I would have responded differently to your post had this been allowed)

    But back to your point before you derailed your own thread: You are speaking of hypothetical scenerios, anything is possible in a hypothetical scenerio, unfourtunatly it is not the same in practice.

    For example, Question "What is the air speed velocity of a swallow carrying a coconut?"
    Answer: "Swallows do not carry coconuts."

    Just so you understand when you put forth a question of this nature, there is no correct answer, because it is not possible, If you feel the need for a better explanation, go elsewere and find it, I do not feel the need to give an explanation to hypothetical questions.