17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2011 12:08 AM by BullsEyE101 RSS

Black Ops Running Horridly

Kelliak
I reinstalled Black Ops and even at damned near minimal settings, it runs BAD. If I turn my view quickly, huge frame drop, along with random events.

I'm running a GTX 550Ti, 3 Gigs of RAM, and an Intel Quad Core @ 2.66GHZ 2.80GHZ

Any thoughts?
  • Re: Black Ops Running Horridly
    FoW BBgun
    So you are running Fraps or frame meter to notice the drop?  There is alot to do with textures also, look at different objects and you will see the same thing. You aren't running the most power set up either, so you may have to deal with a bit of stutter....
    Set the frame rate to 60 fps and work your way up to max fps with say 5 fps drop. There are other things ya can do a little research and should be able to find the config file tweaks. GL
    Kelliak

FoW BBgun wrote:

So you are running Fraps or frame meter to notice the drop?  There is alot to do with textures also, look at different objects and you will see the same thing. You aren't running the most power set up either, so you may have to deal with a bit of stutter....
    Set the frame rate to 60 fps and work your way up to max fps with say 5 fps drop. There are other things ya can do a little research and should be able to find the config file tweaks. GL

The drop is obvious as hell as my screen becomes a juttering mess, which is associated with hard(and sudden) frame drops. I had this issue on another computer too except that worked better and it was on a LESSER rig, both of which should be more than capable of running this game maxed out(it's not that great) even on minimal settings. This has to be one of the most poorly optimized games I've seen, especially for a CoD game. It's as if they didn't take any time at all the ensure that it'd run on various system types.

I can almost max out BF:BC2 if not just that and get far superior frames from a game that doesn't even tout 60FPS as its greatest feature. Not only is the texture often sharper in it but the activity around you is much, much heavier and constant.

I'm just glad that I've already decided to not purchase another CoD title. This won't be a worry for me come MW3, BF3 all the way baby. Activision's become Satan of the gaming world anyway and they've done a proper job of ensuring it matches them well. Proof evident in the mess of a console port they gave us PC users.
    Kelliak
    Yes, ran it in 'safe-mode' meaning lowest possible everything including resolution, still very choppy.

People tried to blame it on my CPU which makes no sense. It's not top-of-the-line but it definitely isn't garbage and certainly isn't so bad that it can't run this game smooth on the lowest settings humanly possible. There is some sort of compatibility issue here as the difference between maximum to minimum is virtually non-existent, choppy across the board.

I'm about to just give up on it and call it a lost. In which case I am DEFINITELY never buying anything of Activision's again. That's too much money to have wasted due to poor programming.
    BullsEyE101
    I have the same problem...Im running a Intel Core 2 Quad with a GTX 470 and 4 gigs of RAM...And windows 7 Ultimate...Tested it on both 64 and 32 bit....Trust me bro..It's not your PC...ITs the game thats poorly optimized...I mean...when the game debuted...I was on a FagBox...Not a PC....This game was ported to PC and has been proven...I have Crysis 2 and Crysis 1..And those games are WAY MORE demanding than Black-Ops..My mw2 never drops below 85 frames....and Black-Ops ive seen drop all the way to 39 frames for me....Idk but sorry Treyarch...You lost a customer here...Infinityward does a better job at optimizing games.....MW3 here I go......And even FarCry 2 never drops 60 frames on me..So dont feel bad...Your not the only one left like that with the shitty performance...

Kelliak wrote:

Yes, ran it in 'safe-mode' meaning lowest possible everything including resolution, still very choppy.

People tried to blame it on my CPU which makes no sense. It's not top-of-the-line but it definitely isn't garbage and certainly isn't so bad that it can't run this game smooth on the lowest settings humanly possible. There is some sort of compatibility issue here as the difference between maximum to minimum is virtually non-existent, choppy across the board.

I'm about to just give up on it and call it a lost. In which case I am DEFINITELY never buying anything of Activision's again. That's too much money to have wasted due to poor programming.

Kelliak wrote:

Proof evident in the mess of a console port they gave us PC users.

What do you think BF3 is? Just curious. Did you own MOH by chance? That went to the bargain bin very quick, it was a horrible game (and no I did not buy it) made by the same company that is now making BF3. I am not saying that BF3 is going to be garbage, but some of these new games that are coming out have become a "wait and see" for myself and many others. These game makers are going to have to earn my business back if they expect me to buy garbage (but now in a prettier package) they have a long way to go.

If you want to pay $60 ($120 if you include the DLC's), for a single player game that plays like a movie, and some fun on the MP, that is up to you. I won't even try and talk you out of it.

BullsEyE101 wrote:

I have the same problem...Im running a Intel Core 2 Quad with a GTX 470 and 4 gigs of RAM...And windows 7 Ultimate...Tested it on both 64 and 32 bit....Trust me bro..It's not your PC...ITs the game thats poorly optimized...I mean...when the game debuted...I was on a FagBox...Not a PC....This game was ported to PC and has been proven...I have Crysis 2 and Crysis 1..And those games are WAY MORE demanding than Black-Ops..My mw2 never drops below 85 frames....and Black-Ops ive seen drop all the way to 39 frames for me....Idk but sorry Treyarch...You lost a customer here...Infinityward does a better job at optimizing games.....MW3 here I go......And even FarCry 2 never drops 60 frames on me..So dont feel bad...Your not the only one left like that with the shitty performance...

Then why does it run perfectly smooth on my $600 PC, huh?
    BullsEyE101
    600$ machine??? lol!! thats a joke..lol!! let me quess...its either a Dual or AMD x3....bro....this game was ported from a Console with only 2 cores.....this game isnt made for PC...Then you explain to me why Moder Warfare 2 runs perfect??...Its the same 3D engine...so you tell me

BigFeet13 wrote:

BullsEyE101 wrote:

Then why does it run perfectly smooth on my $600 PC, huh?

Wrong. It was ported from a console with three cores. Technically it is the same engine. It's the cod4 engine. It was ported badly. I've said that a hundred times here. That doesn't mean it can't run well. Many people have no problems running the game.

I built my pc from scratch at a cost of $588. It runs BO at the highest settings, at 1920x1080 and averages over 60fps. It also plays Battlefield BC2 on the highest settings, same resolution, at an average of 58 fps. It also ran the BF3 alpha on medium at 1600x900 at an average of 53 fps. If you must know my specs.

Athlon II x4 635 Oc'd to 3.2ghz - $99
    4gb 1333 ddr3 ram - $30
    EVGA gtx460se - $149
    ASUS M4A78LT-M - $65
    Diablotek 600 watt psu - $29
    1tb seagate 7200 rpm sata hd - $89
    Rocketfish low profile heatsink - $29
    generic case - $29
    2x 120mm fans - $20
    Win7 home - $49 (pre order)
    Liteon dvdrw - recycled from old pc

total - $588 
    BullsEyE101
    You still cant explain why MW2 runs fine.....and i also average 60 with AAx32 ...no drops there at all......and plz check ur specs on the XBOX360...its only dual....Look at the Quakecon 2011 when John Carmack was speaking about how it was a pain to port these games to the consoles....As he said.....Playstation has the crappy Cell Proccesor....which he is not a fan of at all...even though he said that most games would perform better on the 360 but of course PC's are 10x more powerful than consoles....So you still cant explain why MW2 performs better...IF ITS THE SAME ENGINE....Explain urself...

BigFeet13 wrote:

Wrong. It was ported from a console with three cores. Technically it is the same engine. It's the cod4 engine. It was ported badly. I've said that a hundred times here. That doesn't mean it can't run well. Many people have no problems running the game.

I built my pc from scratch at a cost of $588. It runs BO at the highest settings, at 1920x1080 and averages over 60fps. It also plays Battlefield BC2 on the highest settings, same resolution, at an average of 58 fps. It also ran the BF3 alpha on medium at 1600x900 at an average of 53 fps. If you must know my specs.

Athlon II x4 635 Oc'd to 3.2ghz - $99
    4gb 1333 ddr3 ram - $30
    EVGA gtx460se - $149
    ASUS M4A78LT-M - $65
    Diablotek 600 watt psu - $29
    1tb seagate 7200 rpm sata hd - $89
    Rocketfish low profile heatsink - $29
    generic case - $29
    2x 120mm fans - $20
    Win7 home - $49 (pre order)
    Liteon dvdrw - recycled from old pc

total - $588 

SmallFace

Kelliak wrote:

I'm just glad that I've already decided to not purchase another CoD title. This won't be a worry for me come MW3, BF3 all the way baby. Activision's become Satan of the gaming world anyway and they've done a proper job of ensuring it matches them well. Proof evident in the mess of a console port they gave us PC users.

..and who did Activision take over (temporarily) for that title? People have such short memories. Activision are greedy ***** but EA are the daddy of the ***** and with bf3 they'll prove it once again.

BullsEyE101 wrote:

You still cant explain why MW2 runs fine.....]

I did. Are you dense? It's the optimization. Wow, you're not bright are you? Also, MW2 is a different version of the engine. Use google, you might learn something. And the xbox uses 3 seperate cores.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/xbox-three-sixty2.htm
    BullsEyE101
    CUSTOM!!!Sir....its two Physical and 3 logical....It's not a True 3 core system......check this for better info and read how Xbox had changed there motherboards sevral times while it was out...I'm sure you know what the ring of death is right?? Just read...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

BigFeet13 wrote:

BullsEyE101 wrote:

You still cant explain why MW2 runs fine.....]

I did. Are you dense? It's the optimization. Wow, you're not bright are you? Also, MW2 is a different version of the engine. Use google, you might learn something. And the xbox uses 3 seperate cores.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/xbox-three-sixty2.htm

alocker

DBD_LOBO wrote:

What do you think BF3 is? Just curious. Did you own MOH by chance? That went to the bargain bin very quick, it was a horrible game (and no I did not buy it) made by the same company that is now making BF3. I am not saying that BF3 is going to be garbage, but some of these new games that are coming out have become a "wait and see" for myself and many others. These game makers are going to have to earn my business back if they expect me to buy garbage (but now in a prettier package) they have a long way to go.

BF3 is a PC-lead title, but is getting more and more consolized as time goes on. A "We're thinking about it" on mod tools. No in-game menus, Origin must be running. Consoles don't have these problems. I'm buying BF3 once it hits a little bargain bin I like to call Amazon.
    Hell, MW3 already is confirmed to have dedicated servers with RCON, server settings, server browser, etc. alongside matchmaking. Seems pretty good for me.

And for the record, I've got a 9800GT 1GB, 6GB RAM, and a dual core@2.66gHz, and Black Ops runs just as well as WaW on max settings. It all depends on the PC itself.

BullsEyE101 wrote:

CUSTOM!!!Sir....its two Physical and 3 logical....It's not a True 3 core system......check this for better info and read how Xbox had changed there motherboards sevral times while it was out...I'm sure you know what the ring of death is right?? Just read...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

I wouldn't know. I've never owned one. Only know from what I've read. Never owned a ps3, wii, xbox, xbox 360, ps2, ps, psp, gb, gb adv, n64, gamecube. I've said it here before, the last console I bought was the sega cd expansion for my genesis. I still have it, and it still works fine. I've been pc gaming since '95.

It doesn't really make a difference to me. The game runs perfect on my rig. And to me, that's all that matters. This thing runs everything I've thrown at it, console port or not (except gta4 which is an issue with windows 7).

alocker wrote:

Hell, MW3 already is confirmed to have dedicated servers with RCON, server settings, server browser, etc. alongside matchmaking. Seems pretty good for me.

You can have MW3. Even though bo run perfectly fine, the game is a boring baby shooter. I'm done with the run n gun. MW3 is going to be the same game as BO, MW2, WaW, and 4. Other than some of the perks, they are all the exact same game. BF3 has promise, but I'm not sold on it yet. The alpha was enjoyable, and ran well on my PC. Even without dx11, it blows away anything MW3 will be. But, that's just my opinion.
    wajackbauer
    @Kelliak

Its most likely you're video card drivers, make sure you have the latest version. You could also try updating your chipset drivers and motherboard's BIOS.

I'd also suggest deleting your mp config file (D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players) and then re open the game.
    BullsEyE101
    Aside from all that...I have GTA4 and the expansion...Episodes of Liberty City...With windows 7 with no problems...Maybe i can help you...what is happening?? Plz explain...

BigFeet13 wrote:

BullsEyE101 wrote:

I wouldn't know. I've never owned one. Only know from what I've read. Never owned a ps3, wii, xbox, xbox 360, ps2, ps, psp, gb, gb adv, n64, gamecube. I've said it here before, the last console I bought was the sega cd expansion for my genesis. I still have it, and it still works fine. I've been pc gaming since '95.

It doesn't really make a difference to me. The game runs perfect on my rig. And to me, that's all that matters. This thing runs everything I've thrown at it, console port or not (except gta4 which is an issue with windows 7).