19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 7:25 PM by Derf56hy5 RSS

A great solution to panic knifing

OGP]K!ng$hotgun
Disable knifing with a Primary Weapon.

You should only be able to knife with a secondary out.
  • Re: A great solution to panic knifing
    dlundebjerg28
    I was thinking maybe they should make the knife kind of like equipment. The left and down buttons on the D-pad aren't used for anything I'm aware of, so why not make pulling out the knife kind of like pulling out a claymore? Only knifing with a secondary would be a good idea too, I think this just takes it a step farther.
    Saffaboy_again
    Or force everyone to play on tactical lay out.  Simples, no more noob panic kills.
    Snipingdbag
    There is a good balance between dropshotters and (panic) knifers. What about just fixing the inconstant lunge. No commando lunges and I'm happy. Though I would not mind kings or dlundebjerg28 idea.
    here's to spamming my opinion in another thread about knifing:

The Dude of Ni wrote:

Brink had the right idea where you weren't even given a knife to use unless you were wielding a pistol, otherwise you'd beat them with your gun.

dlundebjerg28 wrote:

I was thinking maybe they should make the knife kind of like equipment. The left and down buttons on the D-pad aren't used for anything I'm aware of, so why not make pulling out the knife kind of like pulling out a claymore? Only knifing with a secondary would be a good idea too, I think this just takes it a step farther.

this is how it should be
    This actually sounds smart... Well, a bit difficult... But a work around would be to need 2 slices to actually kill somebody... unless you can head'slice' with a knife...
    sgtsmiles
    It is a good idea. I dont mind the knifing, panic knifers annoy me and getting knifed out of nowhere to watch killcam and see they completely miss you or cant even see you. <-- That annoys me!
    Wess-L
    not a good idea then every1 would just run around with secondary and camp with theyr normal gun.
    BAD IDEA.
    the only solution is to make it a 2 hit bash kill and 1 hit from behind no homo.
    easy and it would make player require more gunskill.
    ZOMBIE CLOWNS

Snipingdbag wrote:

There is a good balance between dropshotters and (panic) knifers. What about just fixing the inconstant lunge. No commando lunges and I'm happy. Though I would not mind kings or dlundebjerg28 idea.

I personally see an imbalance between the acts of panic-knifing and panic-prone.

Two players are rounding a corner to confront each other. One equipped with default, the other with tactical. In real time, each hits their respective panic button. While player 2 goes prone, player 1 not only knifes, but his knife follows player 2 to the ground.

I'm certain both sides are equally frustrating. I choose tactical. By choosing tactical, I personally have chosen to lose most of my knife fights. Which I'd lose anyway as I'm 1/2 second behind everyone more often than not.
    forrest-gump____
    Panic knifing does not exist.....same as OP weapons......they were just quicker than you

Accept it....move on
    ZOMBIE CLOWNS

Forrest-Gump____ wrote:

Panic knifing does not exist.....same as OP weapons......they were just quicker than you

Accept it....move on

I assume since you've never done it, you don't believe it exists.

Have you ever seen someone playing a driving or flying game; they're not turning or diving as much as they would like, so controller in hand, they quickly raise their arms with a thrust? Panic knifing is similar in that it's an unintentional movement. When I use tactical, most of the time when I go prone, I don't mean to. I've used default for zombies and unintentionally knifed zombies and air.

I agree about the op weapons in general. I also agree that most knife me because they are quicker than me. Even if my opponent and I make the decision to knife eachother at the same time, my opponent will win as my thumb must travel further.

If it doesn't exist then why do I do it?
    dlundebjerg28

Forrest-Gump____ wrote:

Accept it....move on

I agree with OP weapons, but there definitely is panic knifing.

I'm not positive what everyone else defines panic knifing as, but to me its when your emptying a clip into a guys face and he runs through the bullets and stabs you. I have no issue with getting beat in a knife fight, but I find it rather annoying that I empty half a clip of an AK47 into some guys face only to have him run though the bullets and knife me.

I think the point of this thread is that knifing someone should be planned out. It shouldn't be you get surprised by a guy who is shooting you in the face and you panic and hit R3.

I really don't have too many issues with knifing. The inconsistent lunges and the lag is kind of ridiculous, but I can deal with that. If anything is going to be changed I think mine or kings idea would be good, but making it a two hit kill would be pushing it a bit to far
    sennalike
    IMO when you press R3 the knife should be equipped (in place of your weapon) and then you should have to R1 to use it.

I suspect most people win and lose an equal amount of panic knife fights so is it really a problem?
    forrest-gump____
    No

People that moan about panic knifing.......experience this

They come face to face with an enemy......and get knifed

They put themselves being killed down to the enemy *panic knifing*....because there is NO WAY he would have been quicker than ME!!!!!....I'm a COD GOD....its like any death in COD...its never your fault .......there is always an excuse for it

He used a famas
    He used a noob tube
    etc etc

Fact is, he was quicker, better or more equiped than you
    Or an even easier solution, if you get hit with a bullet it cancels the knife animation. The problem isn't that it's a one hit kill, the problem is that you can stab somebody through a stream of bullets to your face.
    ZOMBIE CLOWNS

sennalike wrote:

IMO when you press R3 the knife should be equipped (in place of your weapon) and then you should have to R1 to use it.

I suspect most people win and lose an equal amount of panic knife fights so is it really a problem?

That depends how many users use which layout. Because I use Tactical, I can't panic knife, therefore I will never win.
    ZOMBIE CLOWNS

Forrest-Gump____ wrote:

No

People that moan about panic knifing.......experience this

They come face to face with an enemy......and get knifed

They put themselves being killed down to the enemy *panic knifing*....because there is NO WAY he would have been quicker than ME!!!!!....I'm a COD GOD....its like any death in COD...its never your fault .......there is always an excuse for it

He used a famas
    He used a noob tube
    etc etc

Fact is, he was quicker, better or more equiped than you

I would agree that 99% of the time, he was quicker, better or more equipped than me. Nothing to warrant any changes. My argument is simply, it exists.

There should be a system in place as follows.

Leave the knifing mechanic as is.

If you are currently at 100% health and you knife someone, that should be a one hit kill.

However if you are hurt and have say 80% of your health, then your knife attack should only account for 80% damage on another player.  If the player that you knife, and inflict 80% damage on, gets shot by another player shortly thereafter you would get an 80 point assist.

Knifing should still be a 2 hit kill even if your health is below 50%, however if you only get one knife on the guy before he kills you then it should still only inflict as much damage as the health you have.  A way to balance this could be to make your recovery from the knife lunge shorter if you knifed a guy when you were damaged, giving you more of a chance to shoot/2nd knife the enemy player after you already knifed him once.  Some tweaking with the mechanics could be needed...

Another possibility is that if you knife someone when you have less than 100% health, then the player doesn't die but goes into last stand...just a thought.

This would reduce one hit kill knifing to situations where you sneak up on someone, or quickly knife them when you come around a corner or doorway.  In such cases you deserve to be knifed because you either got snuck up on, missed with your gun or knife, or were slower at the knife than the other player.  All of which are fair gameplay mechanics.

This system leaves the current knifing system basically intact and wont be as much of a shock as making the knife a default 2 shot kill.  Which in my opinion would nerf the knife to the point where no one would use it, and at that point you mid as well remove it entirely.  Gameplay in COD is too fast for a default 2 hit knifing system.  I hope they don't resort to that.