32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2012 1:50 AM by strangelilhippie RSS

K/D vs Playing the Objective

Justin_IRE
This is something that annoys me.. I prefer to play games of Dom, Demo. I dont play in a "Clan" so I rely on teamwork to produce good result,

Now I always do well in these games, normally 1st or second on our team.. win or lose.. I still place about the same.. (my K/D is about 0.68 mostly because I have been working on my perks, and also I would be a very aggressive player towards the objective)

I come across these players often tho.. playing for Kills, not for the game... (and it REALLY bugs me)

My question is what is the point in joining a game of CTF, Domination, demo etc if you just after kill's.. why not stick to TDM or Free 4 all..

and which do you find more important? K/D or Playing the Objective..?
  • Re: K/D vs Playing the Objective
    Playing the objective definitely. W/L > K/D.
    I usally plan in a clan though so we get decent K/Ds and good W/Ls.
    Teammates always suck and get kill-wh0red anyways. So when playing with scrubs and kill-wh0ring, you not only make your life less stressful, but also can give it a better chance at winning.
    rlbl
    In objective games, winning the match will get you more points than going for kills (although some game types you can do both: i.e. SnD)
    lord_cahan
    While you have a problem with people who play for kills, I have a problem with people who blindly run in to grab a flag in CTF. I've nothing wrong with playing the objective, but if someone is going to grab the flag, should he/she not look around to kill any defenders first? It's like they are hoping that every single defender is looking the other way at that instant. Not everyone is that ignorant, but I've seen it a lot. Funnily enough, they come back to do it again.

It's kind of hard to say when someone is playing for K/D instead of playing the objective, as maybe the person is doing both at the same time. Take CTF for example. If a person cannot get to the flag, then the person cannot score. So, if one team kills the other in their spawns while one person is still taking the flag to capture it and win the game, one could argue that the rest of the team is helping to defend the flag. Sure, it's mean and usually results in a high K/D, but they are technically playing the objective. The same is true in demolition. If the enemy team cannot plant/defuse a bomb, you'll win.

I'm more of the type of player who tries to get my K/D up by defending my flag, but I also drop what I am doing to cap a flag if it is needed. Personally, I'm in it for the defensive medals (nearing 11k). Besides, people are frequently complaining that they cannot cap flags for one reason or another. Why should I bother capping flags when I no longer need to? My teamates can cap all they want; it is not like it is that difficult, most of the time.
    P2R-GoTCha
    Both. More kills+easy objectives. This is what ppl dont get. If I start putting up dogs, choppers and blackbirds the cap is easy. What is your win loss since you are an objective playe? If its not above a 3 then you need to rethink your whole philosiphy.
    Since ive linked the wrong acct to elite and started playing on my MW3 clan acct. I have a 5.6 kd and a 51.xx win loss. So in all my experiences Kills are VERY important and all the "objective" players are just idiots using that excuse to accept their crappy KD.
    Like gotcha said.  Crap players just use the "im an objective player excuse"

They act like the gun doesn't work when they are capping.
    Justin_IRE
    Not sure about my Win lose ratio.. (but will be checking it once I get home) pretty sure im safe tho.. I dont lose to often

My K/D would normally be 1.60 - 2.00.. but is low atm due to perk pro work...  will have it back up in no time  (not making excuses, I know full well its possible to keep K/D up as well as work on them) but wanted to get them out of the way quicker this time round..)

p.s my name on this is the same in my PSN, add/invite etc me if you wish.. play regularly (ish) but not as much I wish, what with the daughter loving Ratchet and Clank

My personal Fav's.. Accurate Tomahk'n (not blind cross map throwing) this is the true test of skill in the game..(what I think anyways)
    tntviper1
    i play DOM the most, i am FTW every time, mostly i approach the flag carefully, try to cap it, or depending on my mood i will take my M60 and keep changing spots around one flag to DEF.

last night was a good game for me cause i suck. i went 11-3, 3 caps, 3 def, and got a chopper gunner

tntviper1 wrote:

i play DOM the most, i am FTW every time, mostly i approach the flag carefully, try to cap it, or depending on my mood i will take my M60 and keep changing spots around one flag to DEF.

last night was a good game for me cause i suck. i went 11-3, 3 caps, 3 def, and got a chopper gunner

You consider 11-3 good?
    dlundebjerg28(2)
    I'd say that besides Domination on Nuketown, I am an objective player as well, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my low K/D. My K/D is a 1.04 because I am not very good. I am definitely getting better, but it took me forever to get used to Black Ops. I hate when people use going for pro perks or playing the objective as an excuse for not having a good K/D. You don't have a good K/D because you aren't good, that simple.
    killer21cdm
    P2R-GoTCha

Justin_IRE wrote:

Not sure about my Win lose ratio.. (but will be checking it once I get home) pretty sure im safe tho.. I dont lose to often

My K/D would normally be 1.60 - 2.00.. but is low atm due to perk pro work...  will have it back up in no time  (not making excuses, I know full well its possible to keep K/D up as well as work on them) but wanted to get them out of the way quicker this time round..)

p.s my name on this is the same in my PSN, add/invite etc me if you wish.. play regularly (ish) but not as much I wish, what with the daughter loving Ratchet and Clank

My personal Fav's.. Accurate Tomahk'n (not blind cross map throwing) this is the true test of skill in the game..(what I think anyways)

I call bs on this. There is no way you have dropped 1.00+ just getting pro perks. Your out of your mind to state this claim. Unless you have less than like 10,000 kills. Im assuming you dont since this games been out for a year.
    tntviper1

NickZombie wrote:

tntviper1 wrote:

You consider 11-3 good?

yes for me cause i really do suck at this but like the game. i am never going to be one of these AWESOME players who go 50,000-1
    bigtard123
    I feel so jealous, you got a chopper. I never get choppers.
    My KD 1.07, so yes I suck. I can say I do play the objective.
    I think on domination, high kd  doesn't mean it will win the team a win.
    This video is one example that its possible to win without killing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwApb1c_zsY
    Justin_IRE
    Nope, no BS, just from what I can remember.. havent checked my Stats in a while.. wont swear by it.. but will check later..

If im wrong ill be the first to admit it.. all I used to play EVER was TDM tho, and was always top 3.. have changed since to dom, demo etc.. so make it more fun.. and less run and gun 
    Here is my 2 cents on it.  You can be an objective player and still maintain a decent K/D.  If a person says to me hey I am an objective player and my K/D is .90 then I'd say OK you are prolly not a bad person to have on the team cause you are going for objectives but your also staying close to even K/D wise so your not feeding the opposition killstreaks.  If your K/D is slipping much lower than that I think you are being too aggressive about trying to cap and actually hurting more than helping in most cases.  Especially if you are playing against some decent players.

I consider myself an objective player and honestly it isn't that hard to cap and keep a decent K/D most of the time.  For instance a pretty decent Dom match for me would be like going 24 - 14 or something like that and I'll usually have about 3-5 caps and 3-5 defends.  I am easily positive almost 2 k/d in that game and playing the objective.  Usually the only time I go negative in a situation like that is if I am playing against a well organized group or my teammates are feeding killstrreaks.

Now don't get me wrong I am not a fan of the guy going 43-1 with no caps or defends, but I am not also a fan of the guy going 2-23 with four caps either.  One extreme can be just as bad as the other.
    dlundebjerg28(2)

BLLDWG23 wrote:

Here is my 2 cents on it.  You can be an objective player and still maintain a decent K/D.  If a person says to me hey I am an objective player and my K/D is .90 then I'd say OK you are prolly not a bad person to have on the team cause you are going for objectives but your also staying close to even K/D wise so your not feeding the opposition killstreaks.  If your K/D is slipping much lower than that I think you are being too aggressive about trying to cap and actually hurting more than helping in most cases.  Especially if you are playing against some decent players.

I consider myself an objective player and honestly it isn't that hard to cap and keep a decent K/D most of the time.  For instance a pretty decent Dom match for me would be like going 24 - 14 or something like that and I'll usually have about 3-5 caps and 3-5 defends.  I am easily positive almost 2 k/d in that game and playing the objective.  Usually the only time I go negative in a situation like that is if I am playing against a well organized group or my teammates are feeding killstrreaks.

Now don't get me wrong I am not a fan of the guy going 43-1 with no caps or defends, but I am not also a fan of the guy going 2-23 with four caps either.  One extreme can be just as bad as the other.

Exactly, blindly throwing yourself on an objective and having a low K/D just means you're a dumb player. When my team loses "B" in Domination, my first goal is to clear out the defenders, and my second goal is to capture it. If you throw on LW/Marathon and just dive on the flag, your K/D is low because you're an idiot.

I actually had a game of Domination a while back where I went 2-0 with 8 caps. I threw on Marathon Pro and simply kept capping the flag nobody was near. A lot of my team was killlwhoring and I basically had constant UAV/Black Birds up. I just ran to flags that were nowhere near and capped them. You can play smart, and play the objective at the same time.
    mammoryman

BLLDWG23 wrote:

This. Well said.
    P2R-GoTCha
    All I know is if I release blackbird then my dogs and chopper before the first cap is online you are capping the objective. I may not have a cap on the scoreboard but did I not give you a free cap? Though I usually try to get the cap, Ill sometimes avoid it and be the smart one to realize I need to protect the cappers so we can defend.
    As a very reliable easy way for people to assess how objectives impact KD (in both directions - ie people genuinely playing the objective and people genuinely just killwhoring for KD) do this simple process:

Look at the KD in the combat record.

Then look at the KD in the alltime TDM leaderboards

Then make a comparison.

If the KD's are roughly similar, then that player is neither killwhoring or suffering from playing the objective

If the KD in the combat record is somewhat lower, then this player is probably genuinely suffering by playing the objective

If the KD in the combat record is somewhat higher, then this player is probably just killwhoring in objective games.

With regards to domination, to get a good quickshot of how objective they genuinely are, again look at the all time leaderboards but this time for dom.

Look at the domination kills and divide by 10. If this figure is below the total amount of caps, then this player is definitely playing the objective. If it its nearly twice as the number of caps, then the player is definitely a killwhore and will have either a low w/l or usually plays in a party and hence, has an inflated KD anyway.

Justin_IRE wrote:

This is something that annoys me.. I prefer to play games of Dom, Demo. I dont play in a "Clan" so I rely on teamwork to produce good result,

Now I always do well in these games, normally 1st or second on our team.. win or lose.. I still place about the same.. (my K/D is about 0.68 mostly because I have been working on my perks, and also I would be a very aggressive player towards the objective)

I come across these players often tho.. playing for Kills, not for the game... (and it REALLY bugs me)

My question is what is the point in joining a game of CTF, Domination, demo etc if you just after kill's.. why not stick to TDM or Free 4 all..

and which do you find more important? K/D or Playing the Objective..?

Myself I like to play the objective, whether it be defense or runner (CTF).
    I think K/D is pretty much irrelevent in Blops, due to the lag and host issues. Could care less about my K/D as I am host 95% of the time I play and usually back out due to the frustration it causes. JMO. I am 15/50 with Win Loss Ratio of .45 and K/D of .86 . and all you haters that are just going to flame me telling me how much I suck etc... and whatever... Who cares! Just saying in advance.
    Have a great Day
    o__Dragon__o

P2R-GoTCha wrote:

All I know is if I release blackbird then my dogs and chopper before the first cap is online you are capping the objective. I may not have a cap on the scoreboard but did I not give you a free cap? Though I usually try to get the cap, Ill sometimes avoid it and be the smart one to realize I need to protect the cappers so we can defend.

So, out of curiousity, how many all time domination kills do you have and how many alltime domination captures do you have?

In any one single game, a player can quite legitimately have 0 caps etc and be a completly team focused player. But over a large number of games, that isnt justifiable.
    P2R-GoTCha

JPE777 wrote:

P2R-GoTCha wrote:

So, out of curiousity, how many all time domination kills do you have and how many alltime domination captures do you have?

In any one single game, a player can quite legitimately have 0 caps etc and be a completly team focused player. But over a large number of games, that isnt justifiable.

Rarely play dom. But I usually end up with 2 or 3 caps. Though I play control dom where I keep 2 flags and trap the enemy. Most times 2 or 3 is the highest cap total. Usually have 6-8 defends. I play HQ and usually have 3 or 4 caps a game. Though I have had many games where jumping on the obj wasnt the right play. If 3 more ppl are on the cap I just try to prevent the enemy from getting a nade in there. When I get home Ill let you know my caps to kill ratio is.
    Justin_IRE

Yea I dont really play Black Ops anymore, happy enough with MW3..

My Stats on MW3 are a good bit better than my BO, .90 KRD (it was .72 but I have been working on getting it to 1.00 which wont be too long now.. L/W is about 48%

My stats are as follows (from black ops) which I havent played in about a year.

1,645 Caps

444 Defends

5,619 Kills

not sure if thats good, bad or whatever..

Exactly, and quite frankly it annoys me too, I can't tell you how many times I've played a game of Demolition, Domination, or CTF and get stuck with people who could care less about the objective and more about their K/D. Just stick to TDM if you want to run around and aimlessly shot at other players!

sigh dude, let me share this with you as you made a very legitimate point.  Going for kills "only" (verbatim) is stupid if its a objective game.

However, there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of an objective game type to rack high kills.

I'll explain... Take dom for example...  Have your Team Cap C and B or A and B at the same time as fast as you can.   Once both flags are capped and your Team does not Push to Far into the Last flag zone area than your good.

This my friend will force the opposing team to Spawn only by their Flag That hasn't been capped while the other Team is Racking up high Kills due to the fact that the enemy is coming from 1 direction.

See, this is called playing smart because your Outsmarting an objective game to become a Spawn trap..  Plus you get allot of defense Kills if 1 or 2 people try to flank by the flags thats been secured.

once you get 2 flags than all you have to do is run patrol around the last flag area as that's their only Spawn point   However if the team Pushes to deep into the spawn point, than the spawn Flips.  This makes the winning team at risk of loosing their ground. 

**This mainly happens when a Random doesn't listen when someone yells DON'T Triple CAP!!!!**

Its never a good thing to triple cap early... wait last minute for that..

As for Demo,  All you have to Do is Plant 1 Bomb and Rush into the spawn once it blows up..  If this is done right you will than get a spawn trap going. 

I've seen players get 2 plants with a score of 198 kills which is awesome/  as for me I got the low number of 98 Kills with 2 plants and 1 defuse..  Dude thats awesome right there.  There is nothing wrong with going for Kills if your going to go for Smart Kills by controlling the Spawn while Getting objective points

Justin_IRE

yea, I would agree to a point... play smart/ safe and only double cap told them and you'll get an easy win and a good few kills also. now this goes of topic but..

But want to show you have a GOOD/ Pro team which work well together? Then go for it, Cap as much as possible as often as possible and own them. I have had plenty of games of 200 to 48 from pushing and keep pushing, and never giving them an inch.

If your playing solo in a team you dont know, yea play smart and only start to triple cap near the 150 - 175 mark..

Either way, I am well aware of the advantages to double capping and not triple capping.

The point im making is.. those players regarless of the score or how many Cap's they have, they will still "camp" at a point on the map just to rack up easy kills and not help at all with capping. Those are the people which I am taking about.

Me I would rather go negative and I dont care how negative, if we can get the points back and win the game. But that is my play style.. Aggressive Objective player out for the win.

All in all all of the above which you said, I do not disagree with. As long as the team wins.

you know dude, your right bro..  those guys who don't play the objective are pretty stupid..  I remember playing a few solo games and im the only 1 who's Caping the dam Flag bro and god its so annoying man.  Like i hate that crap dude so bad..   I can't stand going negative at all but i also can't stand not getting Flag points..  if i have a 30-8 game with no CAPS im pretty upset..  And the reason is because I try to maintain a Score Per minute of 230.  Now that may not be a Beast score but at least it shows efficiency in playing the objective..

I can play DOM solo but i refuse to play DEMO alone..  o hell noooooooooo  LMAO

i actually quit playing objective after i noticed the trend of only playing objective modes because there is no kill cap. The last i played DOM the enemy MVP had 103 kills, 11 deaths and ZERO captures ZERO defends and less than 10 offences. Now i only play TDM and HCTDM because of that.