25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2011 4:08 PM by UrbanLegend740 RSS

Sniping............

SmokeyCheese1

Why did they have to shrink the maps making it impossible to hard scope? The gameplay is so fast and the maps so tiny and the spawns so rediculous that sniping is almost useless. I dont quickscope so Im thinking unless the DLC has something to offer I wont be using a sniper rifle.

• Re: Sniping............

Go play Bf3

I have the same complaint I stoped playing Black ops because I thought the maps were too small they are just run and gun maps, which if I wanted to run and gun I'd be on halo. 

guess they had the same people make these ones.

I have the same complaint I stoped playing Black ops because I thought the maps were too small they are just run and gun maps, which if I wanted to run and gun I'd be on halo. 

guess they had the same people make these ones.

iamhollywood5

definitely promotes the OP quickscoping...

Snipingdbag

Lolz, If it was OP ALL people would be doing is running around for "free" instant ohks with snipers instead of using the UMP or auto ars constantly. Tell me why my overall average is significantly better with autos or the 95? Bear in mind I can qs relatively well with constancy and just hold my breath when needed every time too for inch precisions shots & always try to play as defensive as possible while moving around with a Sniper, it's not and never will be OP in this game & especially on these maps. Just no. When a sniper pwns a lobby especially on these maps, he just had a great game with a class that clearly takes more aiming ability than using the automatics in this game. Also if he is using quickdraw instead of assassin, he will show up on the mini map constantly, I dare you to get good games playing with a sniper in a game mode like Dom against decent to good players with quickdraw. You can be much more flexible with autos (move left right and dropshot and still hold great accuracy) and they kill easily constantly & still ads faster with quickdraw on to, otherwise evenly fast.

They have made snipers quicker to scope in andless sway to counter this. This is CoD, in order to be able to sniper you must be able to use it in mid and even close range

sniping is still quite effective, just not the tradional sniping one might think. I think of sniping in mw is more like the old rail gun from quake 2 and 3. it is a precise 1 hit kill weapon. in mw3, i see the sniper rifles as these precise 1 hit kill guns, with slightly better optics. so yes you can use them as a someone traditional sniping role, and there are a couple parts of the maps you can do this. not sure of hte name, but the map with a circular almost castle like structure with stairs up the middle, the doors look out to a far building. that building is also quite a good spot.

with that being said, you also need to be able to use the sniper in much shorter distances, and they have allowed you to do that with the quick scope in time and less sway.

personally i like it much better this way then how it was with black ops, at least you can put up some good numbers on the smaller maps.\

as for the guy who said go play bf3, you can actually say that without sarcasm, as bf3 has much larger maps where sniping is the traditional hit-em-before-they-see-you method of sniping.

SmokeyCheese1

I dont like BF3. Its too slow of game even if I try to run and gun.

Im partial to MW2. I could choose to run and gun. Or I could choose to snipe "traditionally". The maps were balanced like that with the exception of say trailer park or highrise.

I think they built too much on the "intensity" philosophy. They also took a page from the Black Ops book and made every single room or camping point have multiple entrances making it almost impossible to sit and snipe.

Stop your b*tching. Don't like Sniping? Simple solution: Don't Snipe.

iiiredbeariii

RSASS!!! I have found use in the snipers from the game. I got it early and have been playing since Thursday. I have found at least a good spot or two on every map so far. Look around real good, most of the spots aren't in buildings and what not, but rather in odd dark spots or grassy areas, etc. I haven't had any luck shooting out of windows... well except on SeaTown

mitchbel1996

I got some hardscope places for Domination:

Dome: Up at the big Dome with the 2 ladders (got a 10 pointstreak there)

Resistance: Up the stairs outside between C and B, can also be done from the other side inside the building (12 pointstreak)

Mission: At the side of the map, I got a 17 poinstreak there and a 3 in 1. Can also be done from both sides

Arcaden: At A you can overwatch B, great if you have A and B (10 pointstreak)

Seatown: Both left and right side (also great for other game modes) (8 poinstreak)

Village: Snipe the B flag (16 poinstreak)

Outpost: B flag (8 poinstreak)

im not big on sniping but its nice to do now and again and i find it hard to find a good place to set up

in regards to people saying map size affects camping.....no.

I consistently see campers in mw3 on all maps. Not just 1-2, either....most of the lobby. A lot of camping and head glitching going on for a game that was supposed to promote rushing and gun-on-gun.

Also, I can understand snipers wanting better maps for it. Giving some of the maps one long sight line isn't the answer, yet that's what they seemed to implement. All that means is that people who use it are predictable since there aren't many other options outside of quickscoping.

IW also added a good amount of verticality to these maps despite the fact that they said they were mostly doing away with it in mw3. WTF? That may help snipers to a certain extent, but the areas are still pretty tight. It encourages more people to camp than it actually helps the average sniper.

Why? It's pretty easy for even below average AR users to score kills doing it, but most of the snipers will have a much harder time getting those kills....because the area he's overlooking is tight. That would suggest quickscoping.....and around and around we go. Everything seems to point to quickscoping as the answer. Maybe that's the way the devs wanted it.

I haven't even used a sniper yet in mw3. This is purely observation looking at the maps and watching snipers.

yeah, you got it right. You can 'snipe' better from the few spots with an AR. Most of the maps have twisty passage ways with very few long sight lines. Either way I'm happy with the snipers since even with the current maps I can compete with other gunstyles without quickscoping, unless I'm in a pinch. I just think it comes down to map design and the lack of diversity in it. They've come up with their formula and are just spitting out maps with it, many of which people are going to pay millions to download later (if they haven't done so already with elite).  

Snipingdbag

I went 40-3 something with the L118A in one of my first games sniping on interchange I believe. A cod sniper is quick and very quick when he needs to be, otherwise don’t use a sniper rifle in cod you won’t last long. Want “real” sniping? Join the army. Village is a good map to snipe / scope on too. People need to stop wanting to be Spoon feed constantly. Because Wasteland is & was cheap to snipe on, let’s get real. 50 cal plus infrared scope on that map needs to never happen again.

I hate all this qsing / hard scoping nonsense. Hard scoping Is simply Steadying the aim, The main reason I play with a sniper, you can get insane inch precision ohks all over the place. Nothing more fun than getting a headshot on someone you can only see the head of because he is“head glitching”

Qsing is a technique to compete cqb mainly with the rifles. Scoping quickly hard when optional and soft when necessary is what you mainly should be doing in cod with a sniper.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a little diversity in map design, if you like to swallow everything you're given that's your choice but others have the right to give their opinion.

"Want 'real' sniping? Join the army."

Are you kidding? Do you even understand the purpose of video games? If I wanted to do something and could I probably wouldn't play a video game in order to do it.

Some of us are quick with a sniper wether quickscoping or not but does that mean we wouldn't want maps designed with the traditional sniping style in mind? Hell no! These maps are designed for CQC and that means more for the quickscoping sniper. At least they made the snipers competitive and I enjoy using them but I would like the map styles to vary a bit more. Diversity is a beautiful thing if you know how to appreciate it...