20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2011 4:38 PM by ubergeist86 RSS

No Controller Support again? a step back here!

Hey guys I was planning to play this game using my 360 wired controller for MW3 like I did on COD: Black ops, Crysis 2, Devil may cry and Human Revolution... and well I just figured they DID NOT included the support for controllers... What’s going on here?! Even old games offer native support for the 360 controller on the PC, Black ops did and now MW3 does not? I feel like the developers took a HUGE step back here. 

So it’s either the developers on IW and the modern warfare series are incompetent or just lazy that they were unable to place a proper support for controllers!

Even battlefield offered a half support for controllers; I was really expecting more from this Call of Duty.

I truly hope we get a patch or something, because otherwise this game was a waste of money and it’s time to sell it.

Later!

• Re: No Controller Support again? a step back here!

Honestly just use your mouse and keyboard.

I have a PC and an Xbox, but honestly controller will never beat mouse and keyboard.

But can you not use xpadder gamepad software ?

Have an old version for WaW here, but all CoDs are the same, right ?

xpadder_gamepad_profiler

I already have a good profile for old COD games, but you cannot compare native support with an emulation on Xpadder, Yoy2Key or Pinnacle, they are simply not made for FPS, the aim should get a little slower when you aim down the sight and move faster to the sides than up/down, like it does on console or in games with proper gamepad support call of duty Black ops for instance, Crysis 2 or even old games like Devil May Cry 4.

So here my question is how come Call of duty black ops had proper controller/gamepad support and Modern warfare 3 does not? Does this mean Treyarch developer team is more competent and skilled than the Infinity ward team? I'm guessing they were just too lazy to implement the proper gamepad support, because the game also came out on Consoles and there should not be a problem to do it for PC (or just copy what was already done on previous versions of the game).

Anyways. This issue was a big let down, in my opinion.

[pde]paulkersey

Well, if you refuse what I am about to say, then there's no hope for you.

I seem like a broken record on this forum, but I've been using a Logitech Dual Action gamepad for 8 years. If you search, you will find my other posts in the forum about controllers. The Logitech is a PC controller modeled after a PS2 controller. It costs about $20 US and it has it's own software. When it comes to the analog stick controls, no other software or hardware has done it better.

You may be used to the 360 pad, but on PC, you will need speed and good reaction time here. Logitech Dual Action>Xbox 360 Pad. If you refuse that, like others have, then there's nothing I can tell you. I've used it got every game and especially every FPS that didn't have controller support and I'm not mad since I get to set the controls my way instead of some ingame presets.

WHY IN THE HELL..

Would you want to play with a controller on pc..

hate this...console poeple killing the pc..

agreed controllers are the step back imo, why the hell would you use an inferior control input method i don't know, there's a reason no self respecting PC gamer would us em, coz he'd get so horribly owned it's not even funny.

A step back is a console port with with p2p ranked match making over ranked dedicated servers lie in cod4, seiously this game keeps devolving before our eyes and we'll be forced to use a controller in modern warfare 4 so bowling can create a "unifying experience".

The use of conTROLLers are step backwards, keyboard and mouse is all you need, faster, more accurate etc etc

I have to agree with the OP. I own this game on Xbox, and have purchased the last 3 on xbox and PC (only because I have a few IRL friends that LOVE PC games)... I am not buying this for both simply because it doesn't have NATIVE gamepad support. It is sad something that shouldn't take too long to code, is left out, when a simple google search returns so many results for it.

-Erik

my girlfiend bought me this game last week end for my birthday, becuase i talk about it all the time and loved MW2 PS3v. but i have to the PCv of MW3 really does suck. i have been playing BF3 for the last couple of months and wow MW3 looks like World at War. what happened? the scale in BF3 is crazy and the graphic are stunning to say the least.

The controls are all jerky when you turn and move the mouse at the same time! it's like WTF is IW thinking? they should hang there heads in shame for this pump and dump peice of sh!t!

There is a program called Joystix Pro that has a free download on their site to play PC with a 360 controller. I downloaded it and it just starts right up.

oh my god dude... just play with mouse.

its 10000000 times better than controller.

I have xbox and pc version both also... im not even thinking about playing it on pc with controller, wtf I aint retarded.

If I want to joke and be utterly useless or I have hangover then I play it from bed.. gotta love aim assist stuff

but when Im serious about it I go on pc and I get bilion times better experience.. I AIM, I FCKN AIM! nothing does it for me and also on pc it doesnt lag as much though 50% less players worldwide.

All those that rant and rave about using keyboard and a mouse as being superior to a joypad, I'd like to see what studies are actually done to support your theories. I've used my wireless Xbox pad on BF3 and have gotten a good amount of kills on there. Going back to the OP though, it is pretty ridiculous that MW3 doesn't support the Xbox pad. Looks like this is the last Call of Dookie game I'll be buying.

wierd worlds are these

I came up against people on Xbox when playing MW2 and Black Op's with them using a Controller, and me using my Gaming Keyboard and Mouse and let's just put it this way they all got owned.

They could not aim as fast, or turn as fast etc as what I could with my Keyboard and Mouse.

It is a well known fact that the Controller's are not as good because of the dead spot's on the thumbstick's compared to no deadspot's on the Keyboard and Mouse.

A controller will never be as good as a Keyboard and Mouse until they can get the same responce time etc.

[pde]paulkersey

wierd worlds are these wrote:

I came up against people on Xbox when playing MW2 and Black Op's with them using a Controller, and me using my Gaming Keyboard and Mouse and let's just put it this way they all got owned.

They could not aim as fast, or turn as fast etc as what I could with my Keyboard and Mouse.

It is a well known fact that the Controller's are not as good because of the dead spot's on the thumbstick's compared to no deadspot's on the Keyboard and Mouse.

A controller will never be as good as a Keyboard and Mouse until they can get the same responce time etc.

lol just remember that you said "against people on Xbox". Well you know Xbox players can't adjust configs over there. In fact, I probably couldn't play the game proper on an Xbox with a controller.

However, on 'PC', you can adjust a PC controller how you see fit. They would definitely have a chance on the PC with a controller (don't know about the 360 one) because if they can use a controller well to begin with, all they have to do is adjust to the play styles of PC players and no one would even know they use a controller. They sure don't know I use a controller until I tell them.

But, on Xbox? Yeah. I agree with you on a console. I can see how that can happen. Those are set controller configs for the console software. Not much you can do against a mouse on a closed platform.

rising1991

Omg, why the hell would you want to play with a controller again people with mouse and keyboard you will be owned, wanna play with a controller go xbox omg.Lots of posts about this, this community just cares about stupid things, controller support? really? what about fov, lag comp and spawns for example? that should be fixed and it´s in fact important!

[pde]paulkersey

rising1991 wrote:

Omg, why the hell would you want to play with a controller again people with mouse and keyboard you will be owned, wanna play with a controller go xbox omg.Lots of posts about this, this community just cares about stupid things, controller support? really? what about fov, lag comp and spawns for example? that should be fixed and it´s in fact important!

Why can't we play on PC? Are we hurting you somehow? PC is a universal platform. Why can't we play with what we want? Omg, Omg, Omg lol

rising1991

hurting me? No, in fact will make really easy to kill players using it so bring support for controller and let the bodies hitt the floor.Omg Omg Omg paul why don´t you go xbox play with your controller? There are much important things to be adressed than controller support, just my opinion and all i see is controller support threads lol

with controller on pc player will end every match 2 kills and 99999 deaths.

2 kills are pure random lucky shots

[pde]paulkersey

I know it looks funny with you being a PC player and all, but what makes me laugh is that it's already a pure console game and it's not even had any PC decency to begin with. It's MW3. It's a pure console game with a hidden server mod. These guys are actually right at home as it's no different from what they play on the consoles.

Do you know that you have probably been getting killed by people that you would claim to have easy kills on? If you use a controller, you would probably die a lot yourself. Why? Because you're not used to a controller and/or probably not good with one to begin with. I'm not knocking you for it because I believe M+KB is MUCH better for YOU.

There are people who play with controllers, kill and move on and they don't announce it to the world. I have always been good with a controller for years because I started gaming on a controller from way back. I always wanted my own PC and in 2003, I got that. I was getting murdered with a M+KB and it was so hard to adjust and know where the keys are in time because I'm no typist.

However, I did some research, went and bought a PC controller, and it had the software to configure it. It took a little adjusting to the speed of mouse opponents, but I was back in my groove once again. I've played many PC FPS games (I love FPS), but I didn't get deep into it past fun until CoD4 hit. I was playing R6V at that time.

To cut it short, I play with a controller in WaW almost every day and the majority of my opponents are KB+M players. Just because you have a M+KB doesn't automatically give you magic skills to kill anyone because they use a controller. We all play differently and if I'm not at the top of the end round stats, I'm up there somewhere.

I'm good at what I use and I'm an FPS player. Never underestimate any random player because even mad0ne failed on that statement.

He says:

mad0ne wrote:

with controller on pc player will end every match 2 kills and 99999 deaths.

Lol that's called a person that just doesn't know how to play regardless of what he/she uses haha!

I love the PC and wouldn't ever trade it for a damn console - no offense to those players

WaW PC = True Dedicated Servers

ubergeist86

paulkersey seems to be the only one on here with his opinion in the right place. I'm pretty sure that we all bought the game, and regardless of what platform we play it on, we play it how we want to, because we all paid to do so. Who are any of you PC gamers that you can tell a guy that it's ridiculous to play with a controller when there is a KB/M option. One day you will come across someone who is using a controller that will be better than you with your mouse, and you're all gonna be like WTF? Using one control scheme does not make you any better or worse. It just comes down to personal preference. Don't mock people just because they feel differently.