45 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 8:49 PM by lthugnificentl RSS

My fix for lag compensation

For all the people currently suffering from lag compensation like i am try this to help reduce the effect.

If you currently port forward to get an open nat, stop it. Get yourself back onto a moderate NAT and you'll notice a difference.

Run your pc at the same time as you game and use a download manager like JDownloader to download a big file but limit it to 100kbs.

Turn off theatre recording.

Now while i feel i shouldn't have to do this just to be able to play on a fair playing field in a game, i have been doing this for the past day or two and it works a treat, it counts you as a crap connection and compensates others for you.

• Re: My fix for lag compensation

To be honest I suffered badly from HOST LAG in BO but in MW3 I have not experienced any noticable lag, not sure if I have been pulling host all the time like i did in BO but i have no major complaints regarding connection in this game apart from the game almost freezing in the menus and lobbys on two occasions preveneting me from being able to play all night.

IEliteWalker

I've tried this and I spent 2 hours trying to search for a game, also the only thing you are doing is making OTHERS receive the same problem as YOU are having, sorry but that's true.

Lagging your own internet is not a "fix" it's taking advantage of the Lag Compensation, remember Cod4/waw/mw2? If you nerfed your internet you would have a red bar and would lag all over the place, no advantage was given to you what so ever.

So what ever has been altered to the Lag Compensation needs to be reversed, NOBODY complained about this before Black Ops, all you heard was the occasional "host advantage" but that wasn't much of a problem, I could even play well against Americans on a 2bar connection on any COD before Black Ops.

At the end of the day I think people would rather have one player with a small advantage than a whole team with a 2 second advantage over you.

The reason you set download to 100kbs is to keep 4 bars green, if your internet goes red from downloading at 100kbs a second then you must be on dial up.

Also if IW/SH are going to make it that if i make my connection worse i get a fairer game, why shouldn't i do it.

OH man I said the same thing yesterday. I can deal with one person having an advantge but having a whole team have like a whole second advantage because i have a strong connection is nuts.

I did put a video out 2 days ago on the subject that is getting good feed back and some views. I am receiving alot of thanks for it. I hope if it gets noticed by a lot some more people will take over and it will be fixed    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8fQIw1QUq8 thank you

OH man I said the same thing yesterday. I can deal with one person having an advantge but having a whole team have like a whole second advantage because i have a strong connection is nuts.

I did put a video out 2 days ago on the subject that is getting good feed back and some views. I am receiving alot of thanks for it. I hope if it gets noticed by a lot some more people will take over and it will be fixed    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8fQIw1QUq8 thank you

Good vid, try the tips, you'll notice it happens far less. Yes it's putting the problem on someone else but it solves the problem for you and at least makes the game playable without loads of irritating lag deaths.

yea I started to do tihngs like that as well as play on wirless but it hasnt helped me all that much...might be because i have a 45 down and a 35 up with avg ping of 2-5...sigh......so i go from having host 90% of the time to getting pooped on by kids that are not even on my screen yet or only for a split second and i will drop in a second

yeah how dare you have a good connection, it's clearly unfair for you to pay for something decent.

i want to love this game so much but i simply cant when I am at such a crazy disadvantage because i pay for somthign amazing....so stupid...I hate iw...they need to fix this. I bought the hardened edition picked it up at the midnight realese and for what? This **** not even a fair game? I'm amazed im even holding the 2.25 kd that i am....I am normaly over a 3 kd player and agressive...now i have to play like a *****..so i simply wont play untill they fix it. It is not worth the aggravation

Kukkolfkambo

You have a 45 down 35 UP??? SHAIT! Pics or it isn't true!

Also: OP, transfering the problem to others and taking advantage of the lag comp system is nothing but a poor show in sportsmanhip and I hope zeus himself lets you know how I feel about it.

This I guess is a stupid question, but, would it be better too downloads a lot of stuff at the same time you play, so I have a very bad line?

maccabi

Nemesis666 wrote:

For all the people currently suffering from lag compensation like i am try this to help reduce the effect.

If you currently port forward to get an open nat, stop it. Get yourself back onto a moderate NAT and you'll notice a difference.

Run your pc at the same time as you game and use a download manager like JDownloader to download a big file but limit it to 100kbs.

Turn off theatre recording.

Now while i feel i shouldn't have to do this just to be able to play on a fair playing field in a game, i have been doing this for the past day or two and it works a treat, it counts you as a crap connection and compensates others for you.

you're an idiot, plain and simple, I would urge anyone NOT to follow this idiotic "how to"

all you are doing is

a) Screwing up matchmaking and xbl's ability to communicate with your xbox (which will in turn effect you in  matchmaking, making parties in game, chatting in game, and causing anyone unfortunate enough to be in a paty with you to expereince a sub par experience.

b) you are not working around lag comp, nor does lag comp punish uber amazing 10000000mbs bandwidth connections. I find it highly amusing you are advocating a "fix" for something you have absolutely no idea on how it works in the first place.

c) the only thing you are actually acheiving by downloading before you enter a lobby is stopping yourself getting host and getting your xbox blacklisted by matchmaking as a potential host, past that as i said on the other thread with the same dumb ass solution you might as well just roll one trouser leg up and whistle dixie while playing as that will have exactly the same effect on lag comp as your wonder fix.

d) look up the word placebo

basically if you cant explain WHY this works and demonstrate an understanding of lag comp you havent just copied off wikipedia with the greatest of respect stfu and stop posting stuff that will ruin peoples expereinces in playing.

maccabi just obliterated this thread.

This forum is packed with people who have no clue about lag and lag compensation, and are 100% pulling "knowledge" straight out of their ass. It is ridiculous, to say the least.

i'm glad to hear there are others out there with the same problems as me lol

but this solution is a bit long i'd rather wait for them to notice the problem and fix it.

They need to just make dedicated servers all over the world it might cost them a bit but i'm sure they're good for it.

maccabi

RichieKing wrote:

i'm glad to hear there are others out there with the same problems as me lol

but this solution is a bit long i'd rather wait for them to notice the problem and fix it.

They need to just make dedicated servers all over the world it might cost them a bit but i'm sure they're good for it.

Dedicated servers are not a fix, first off dedis on console do not work like dedis on pc due to the fact the game traffic still needs to be parsed thru the repsective platforms systems, part from that the actual amount of servers, man hours, infrastructure needed to adequately cover the same amount as the listen server system we have now puts dedis on cod firmly in the realms of unfeasible.

secondly and more importantly in relation to this topic, on dedis you have a lowest ping wins scenerio and guess how they counter that... lag compensation algorithms

part from that the actual amount of servers, man hours, infrastructure needed to adequately cover the same amount as the listen server system we have now puts dedis on cod firmly in the realms of unfeasible.

Bollox, the amount of money that the COD cash cow has now generated means they could if they wanted to set up dedi servers, they just don't want to spend the money.

maccabi

Nemesis666 wrote:

part from that the actual amount of servers, man hours, infrastructure needed to adequately cover the same amount as the listen server system we have now puts dedis on cod firmly in the realms of unfeasible.

Bollox, the amount of money that the COD cash cow has now generated means they could if they wanted to set up dedi servers, they just don't want to spend the money.

which just further proves my point you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

a) Screwing up matchmaking and xbl's ability to communicate with your xbox (which will in turn effect you in  matchmaking, making parties in game, chatting in game, and causing anyone unfortunate enough to be in a paty with you to expereince a sub par experience.

Wrong, while doing this, i have zero problems communicating with my party, my xbox and xbl still communicate fine just at a slightly higher response time than without it, i still get zero packet loss and still have a fast enough download and upload to cope with xbl. I have done this for an entire nights gaming while in an xbox live party with friends and no one said i was laggy, or that my voice skipped.

b) you are not working around lag comp, nor does lag comp punish uber amazing 10000000mbs bandwidth connections. I find it highly amusing you are advocating a "fix" for something you have absolutely no idea on how it works in the first place.

Lag comp is nothing to down with download speed and i am not saying you need to affect your download speed, you need to affect your ping.

c) the only thing you are actually acheiving by downloading before you enter a lobby is stopping yourself getting host and getting your xbox blacklisted by matchmaking as a potential host, past that as i said on the other thread with the same dumb *** solution you might as well just roll one trouser leg up and whistle dixie while playing as that will have exactly the same effect on lag comp as your wonder fix.

Not being host is part of the solution, being deemed as a good connection in this game is a bad thing. The whole point of it is to make sure you are not host.

d) look up the word placebo

Look up the differences between my games last night and the night before, placebo that. I played the exact same way as i always do and yet last night had no one spinning around shooting me after i'd shot them for 2 seconds.

What is lag compensation and how can I tell I'm..."suffering" from it? For example, I have 10 Mbps download and 830kbps upload ( b is for bit not for Byte ffs) I have lag. Anytime, anywhere. Compensate that for me! You fuking americans with your fuking scams! That's all you know, all you do SCAMS! All day long!

You have lag anytime, anywhere on a 10 Meg connection then you need to talk to your ISP, some of us are fine on EVERY other game, it's just MW3 making the problem.

maccabi

Nemesis666 wrote:

You have lag anytime, anywhere on a 10 Meg connection then you need to talk to your ISP, some of us are fine on EVERY other game, it's just MW3 making the problem.

why?

come on dude you keep making all these brash infactual statements money where your mouth is time why should they need to talk to their isp?

what does having a bandwidth of 10mbs have to do with lag?

Because dude, if i was paying for an internet connection where my line was good enough for a 10 meg connection but they couldn't prevent lag then wtf would i be paying for. On my ISP, you can request profile changes to decrease your average ping but it can cause instability so they test first, mine can't be the only ISP. When my ping used to be high,i rung them up and asked for a new profile, it lowered my ping and caused no instability.

If you are having ping problems from a paid service, you try get it sorted.

maccabi

Nemesis666 wrote:

Because dude, if i was paying for an internet connection where my line was good enough for a 10 meg connection but they couldn't prevent lag then wtf would i be paying for. On my ISP, you can request profile changes to decrease your average ping but it can cause instability so they test first, mine can't be the only ISP. When my ping used to be high,i rung them up and asked for a new profile, it lowered my ping and caused no instability.

yeah like i thought you havent got a clue what you are talking about. seriously sparky give up while you retain some sembalance of dignity as your just falling further into the hole you're digging and leave this sort of stuff to people who do know what they are talking about.

you "fix" is the blind leading the blind

currently you at the stage where you have run out of feet to shoot

But the thing is I'm not an american, I live in Spain in a village. My ISP is Movistar, and it's the only ISP that gives 10 Mbps ADSL in my village, the rest of them offer less speed or not at all. And the UPLOAD is 830 mega BITS per second. As far as I know the less upload speed you have contracted, the more ping, latency lag you experience. I cant get fiberoptic, I cant get cable. But good idea you gave me with calling them and asking them for a change in profile or whatever, I'll do that. I'm pretty sure they will not understand what I'm asking for. You dont know, but here in Spain they are rather dumb when it comes to tehnical stuff. Spain is among the last nations on Earth when it comes to internet connections and speed. Now I'm well aware you americans dont give a **** about the rest of the world except when it stings you in the arse from time to time but I had to write something, I'm bored.

maccabi

Nemesis666 wrote:

If you are having ping problems from a paid service, you try get it sorted.

im going to throw you your one and only bone use it wisely

what you did was get interleaving turned off , yes it will lower pings by usually between 10-25ms but the consquences of it are you lose packets so what you have basically been talked into is having a lower ping (which was pointless as pings vary all the time) for a service that now cant give you a fluid stream of data ..the death nell for onling gaming.

a 10mb connection is NOT faster than a 1 mb connection from the same isp using the same type of connection adsl/cable.

theres ya bone enjoy the chew

No, i didn't, i still have interleaving on, i also have no packet loss as confirmed by multiple tests by them and pingtest.net.

and a 10mb connection is faster than a 1mb connection, but a 10mb connection is the same as a 1MB connection.

Your speed does affect your speed, yes your ping is important because it is your response time between a server and yourself but once a connection is confirmed, a 10mb connection will communicate at a faster rate than a 1mb connection but the same as a 1MB connection.

Ping the time a packet takes to go from one party to the other, if you have faster internet the general rule of thumb is that you have better ping as you can transmit more data per second.

Consider it chewed.

maccabi

Nemesis666 wrote:

No, i didn't, i still have interleaving on, i also have no packet loss as confirmed by multiple tests by them and pingtest.net.

erm but you said ..."When my ping used to be high,i rung them up and asked for a new profile, it lowered my ping and caused no instability."

and a 10mb connection is faster than a 1mb connection, but a 10mb connection is the same as a 1MB connection.

Both download at the SAME speed, one down/uploads MORE at one time , this will NOT effect your ping

Your speed does affect your speed, yes your ping is important because it is your response time between a server and yourself but once a connection is confirmed, a 10mb connection will communicate at a faster rate than a 1mb connection but the same as a 1MB connection.

utter bollox just give up now please its embarassing

Ping the time a packet takes to go from one party to the other, if you have faster internet the general rule of thumb is that you have better ping as you can transmit more data per second.

general rule of thumb in lala land,

Consider it chewed.

more like you choked on it

dude seriously now , you havent got a clue what you are talking about, giving advice to people with such a lack of basic knowledge is dangerous, refer to my blind leading the blind comment earlier. constantly comming back to defend your flawed and factually incorrect viewpoint is getting boring now.

sweatyclam

De ja vu Mac?

maccabi

sweatyclam wrote:

De ja vu Mac?

thdunk thdunk thdunk thdunk

Both download at the SAME speed, one down/uploads MORE at one time , this will NOT effect your ping

no, sending more data and recieving it at the same time as less data means fast data transfer, meaning it isn't actually the same speed. If i download a 10MB file in 1 second and then a 10MB file in 10 seconds, the data has transfered slower on the second connection.

utter bollox just give up now please its embarassing

again, no, i notice on all your points you give no backup logic.

Example in game,

player on slower internet will take longer to upload his 10MB of data to the game host due to the fact that his net is slower, so say he does 1MB at a time, that's 10 seconds for that data.

Faster player sends 10MB of data at a time so it takes him 1 second to send his data.

Hence the faster player has finished but the slower player hasn't. So cod is making the faster player wait and is giving the advantage to the poor connection player.

Where's all this knowledge you keep preaching about, how about you try writing some of it down instead of just stating you know what you're talking about

also just so others know how retarded you are.

According to maccbi a 1mb and a 10mb connection download at the same speed, to put this into retrospec for you.

ISP's are spending millions to upgrade infrastructure across the world for faster speeds but it doesn't matter cause they could have left it on copper. Fast internet providers on cable have no advantage over ADSL cause again it is the same speed and all you guys paying loads on internet need not bother casue downgrade to 1mb and you'll notice no speed change. /sarcasm

Mac is sayingt hat a 1mb and 10mb are far more than sufficient for Xbox Live. At most you will download/upload 10 kb per second playing COD.

As for the other things you have posted in this thread, you should give up now. Blind leading the blind.

maccabi

Nemesis666 wrote:

also just so others know how retarded you are.

According to maccbi a 1mb and a 10mb connection download at the same speed, to put this into retrospec for you.

ISP's are spending millions to upgrade infrastructure across the world for faster speeds but it doesn't matter cause they could have left it on copper. Fast internet providers on cable have no advantage over ADSL cause again it is the same speed and all you guys paying loads on internet need not bother casue downgrade to 1mb and you'll notice no speed change. /sarcasm

protip if your going to base an arguement using a quote of mine to make me look "retarded" least get the quote right all you have managed to do is once again make yourself look like an idiot.

scroll up i said

"a 10mb connection is NOT faster than a 1 mb connection from the same isp using the same type of connection adsl/cable."

meaning data travels the same speed on both the 10 and 1 mb connection on the same framework (adsl or cable).

please im trying to help you here from making an idiot of yourself but it just feels like im reloading the gun for you and getting more feet bandages at the ready.

I appreciate that you know what you're talking about maccabi.  He still doesn't get that the ISP disabled interleaving on the dslam or central office equipment. 
              It is possible that he's not dropping packets without interleaving if he's not taking errors on the line, but this is not the case for everyone, and shouldn't be something that he should be telling everyone to do. 

maccabi

symbiotx wrote:

I appreciate that you know what you're talking about maccabi.  He still doesn't get that the ISP disabled interleaving on the dslam or central office equipment. 
                It is possible that he's not dropping packets without interleaving if he's not taking errors on the line, but this is not the case for everyone, and shouldn't be something that he should be telling everyone to do. 

ironically my first reply i went into the whole dslam thing then deleted it as i realised he wouldnt have a clue what im talking about.

yes its possible he isnt loosing packets but given the game traffic is udp not tcp/ip any pingtest or line test is going to favour tcp/ip unless its specifically done as a udp ping...    and in the uk esp udp traffic is throttled and given second class status on routing from isps at peak times it is likely as well as they blanket throttled all udp traffic to stop torrents running,..

Pretty sure this guy has no idea that there is any difference between data transfer speed and bandwith.  Any further discussion is wasted effort.

You must be from that brilliant continent that is currently trying to sewer the world economy AGAIN. Get back to work and pay off your debt fool.

* I'm not even from America

Gastec wrote:

What is lag compensation and how can I tell I'm..."suffering" from it? For example, I have 10 Mbps download and 830kbps upload ( b is for bit not for Byte ffs) I have lag. Anytime, anywhere. Compensate that for me! You fuking americans with your fuking scams! That's all you know, all you do SCAMS! All day long!

Please, read this guys. This is a wiki about lag. If you scroll down to Rewind Time, it explains more about what is going on about this issue, it even has a video link that explains more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_%28online_gaming%29

Ok, so my take on this is that it's basicly an issue on netcoding. It needs to be optimized. This method started after the origional Half-Life game had it's multiplayer netcode updated and has been used on just about all online games since. Without this, you would have to lead your shots, trying to predict where the player would be and shoot there, hoping you would hit him. Trust me, this is so much better then not having lag compensation at all. I have played online games since Quake. Yea... I'm old skool. Since Half-Life got it's netcode updated, it was so nice to aim a gun right at someones head, pull the trigger, and actually hit the person's head instead of spray and pray around the area infront of the direction he was going. Games need lag compensation. MW3 doesn't need to loose it, they just need to optimize it.

Now, if you throttle or slow down your net speed, yes you might get the advantage going around the corner aiming and shooting first at the person down the hall since he didn't see you pop out before it's too late. On the flip side of thottling your speed or laging yourself, if someones is shooting you in the back it'll be too late once your client registers you getting hit for you to react to turn around and try to evade or attack back.

Retaliating by lagging your own connection isn't a fix. In the end it just makes the experiance worst, especially when everyone does it. If it's a game breaker to you, submit a bad review to the player that's laging, make customize game rooms with people live closer to you, or just try to get your money back or trade the game with another if you can.

zArtfulDgr

The problem is that this mess occurs on an all 4 bar lobby.  It's not that they have lag compensation.  It's that they completely broke it.  Lag comp should add/subtract a few milliseconds.  Maybe even 50 or 100.  It should not put some people a full second behind.  I just got shot by a guy before he came into the room to kill me (on my screen). I could hear him coming and was ready to pounce.  THen I dropped dead and THEN he came in to kill me. You would think half of the lobbies are using lag switches it's so bad.