I have 2 ps3 console at home and 1 of my console (the old 40GB ps3 one) is constantly freezing during online gameplay!! I need help and suggestions from you guys! I have already sent an email to Activision about this and they have sent an automated email stating that they are experiencing high volume of enquiries and they will get back to me when ever they have an answer to my problem. In order words, they have said "We will get back to you when we feel like it"! Anyhow, its now been 3 days and I have done soooo many things and still no luck. I will write my problem and the things I have done in detail here and hopefully someone can share their experience.
My Problem: Like the mentioned above, i have 2 ps3 consoles and I have the problem with only one of them i.e. the 40GB ps3 version. In this console, everything works fine in campaign. However, when in the Multiplayer game, the game all of sudden freezes completely during the gameplay and the screen is completely still. No response from the controller or anything. Have to restart the console manually and it happens again. it does not happen all the time by during the last 3-4 days it has become worse. Now I cannot play 80% of the time since it freezes. Also this only happens during the middle of the online game of MW3 only and no where else. This is what I have done and have found so far:
1) The gameplay freezes either when played alone or even in a lobby.
2) During the online play, the console freezes when a new multiplayer game starts. Its fine when the maps are selected and all. Sometimes, it freezes as soon as the game starts or sometimes after 2-3 minutes. Nothing responses, not even the controller, the console and the PS3 has to be manually restarted.
3) Tried switching off the ps3 and the router on and off. Also manually restarted the ps3 console from safe mode.
4) Tried running the "Re-build Database" from the safe-mode in PS3 console and still no luck.
5) Tried swapping the MW3 game disc and the same problem even with another disc.
6) Tried the same in black ops MP, but no problem with Black ops at all. So this confirms that this is not the console problem or the network problem. Was able to play a few games with black ops with no freezing other than the usual lags or delays at times.
7) Checked the system update, noticed there was an update and installed the latest PS3 update. Restarted and tried it and it was still the same results.
8) Deleted the game data utility file and re-installed the new MW3 game patch 1.03. Still the same problem...
9) Have been having this game for 5 days now and we played for about 6 hours during the 1st day, after that the next day there was the PSN maintenance and once it was over, we played another 12 hours that day before with no problems. Both consoles were in a lobby and had no problems other than usual lags at times. But somehow, this problem started occuring from the 3rd day onwards which fell on a Sat-Sun.
10) Tested the internet speed and its fine.
11) Searched the net and still did no find a solution for this problem. I see a lot of people complaining about the lag or a brief screen freeze for a few seconds during the online play. I would be happy if it was only a few second freeze!! but its not!! I do know that there are usually lags and delays due to server load during high traffic times, but this problem is not a lag. This is more of a "hang".
12) I noticed that the NAT was showing as "strict". I then thought if this was causing the problem. So I have now set-up a static ip address for my console and have also added this ip address to my router's DMZ hosts with UPnP enabled. After this, the NAT is now open. But the problem is still there even with "open" Nat settings!! So this confirms that it is not the NAT problem neither...
13) From what I can think of, it appears to be a problem from the MW3 end. The reason why I think that is cuz I do not have any problem with Black ops at all and I still play black ops..
14) Also I cannot understand why its only happening to my old 40GB console and NOT my second console (which is the ps3 new slim model)!!! The other console plays the MW3 fine and I am using the same network and the same router for the connection. No idea....
What do you guys think??? Plz help since I am running of ideas...