7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 3:44 PM by robbierocket RSS

Spawn system idea

We all know CoD has terrible spawning and im not just talking about MW3, So why not try something new like for example divide the maps up into 12 sectors or 18 in groundwar,  Make it so you cannot spawn into a sector that has an enemy in it and prioritise spawning into sectors with friendlies. This way a team can only cover half the map leaving the other half clear for respawning which in theory should reduce spawn issues. Im no expert on game/level design but to me this seems logical & rather simple anyone else have any ideas?

• Re: Spawn system idea
    triiviium-

Problem with this whole argument is that the maps for MW3 are so small that if you spawn in section 1 and an enemy spawns in section 2; they are still right next to you/behind you.

thats still better than somebody spawning no more than 2ft behind you just after you killed them. I once killed a guy just to have him spawn a few feet back from where i first killed him didnt even need to adjust my aim to kill him again

triiviium- wrote:

Problem with this whole argument is that the maps for MW3 are so small that if you spawn in section 1 and an enemy spawns in section 2; they are still right next to you/behind you.

See I disagree. The maps aren't that small; they seem smaller than they actually are due to how close people spawn to one another.

If they changed the spawn system from a line of sight system (currently the spawn system brings people in as close to the enemy as possible without being in their line of sight) to a hybrid distance/line of sight system, then there wouldn't be as much ridiculous spawn deaths.

triiviium-

The reason i say the maps are small is due to the fact that they cluttered them with loads of garbage and other objects.

kourtvizion

Some good ideas here,

I know they did say that they want to keep you in the action thats why you spawn relatively close to enemies in the game.  The problem is with all the movement speed boosters, getting from sector to sector takes no time at all.  For instance, following dots on the uav is extremely dangerous because they could be running an smg with marathon and stalker.  He pops around the corner before the uav even shows them coming. The maps are designed to have a variety of long sightlines as well as CQC encounters.

The only way to correct that in my opinion is to make the maps bigger but if you make the maps bigger it requires rethinking of the range elements on the smgs and probably all other guns.  It also slows the pace of the game because encounters will not be that common.  You can hardly walk ten steps without someone firing at you and I think thats how they want to be known as the fast pace arcade shooter.

I dont know the programming logic for video games  or how the coding works for COD specifically but when i have to work with my developers, I always know they push back saying that small changes are never that small. 

I am not sure that they can get it right without alot of changes to the game.  As this point it might be too late for MW3.  Hopefully they will focus on getting it right in the next installment.

Your probably right but even so bad spawning has been in the game since CoD4, If they havnt got it right yet then clearly they need a total rethink of their spawn systems and perhaps level design too, Personally i still think CoD4 had the best maps and W@W had a few good maps but after that theres no map i can say i really liked just loads that i hate.

robbierocket

When you die there should be a "choose spawn-type" (or could be set as default).

WITHDRAWN - spawn at map edge, no enemies near, teammate nearest

DEFENSIVE - spawn between teammate(s) and map edge, typically behind where most of your team is

AGGRESSIVE - spawn with team, with a least one teammate between you and any enemy, typically you would spawn right behind(next to the bulk of your team.

There should also be an option (which could also be deafulted to) of:

SPAWN RIGHT AWAY . tries to fulfill above spawn type.

WAIT FOR PROTOCOLS - delays spawn until above type can be met safely.