43 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2012 11:25 AM by adw1983 RSS

NEW OPTION AIM ASSIST OFF/ON

ok this is really getting on my nerves aim assist is always on and it so bad with the amount of drop shotters yes theres controllers that actually have a button for this as well and soon as you run pass someone they drop to the floor causing your gun to hit the floor and run like a chicken for 2 secs making it very hard to get bearings again or running past people on stairs and u hit thwe wall , , snipers are hitting wrong places and all sorts of stupid running about is happening where is the option to turn this stupid feature OFF

how many of your agree that aim assist should be a option me for one does not need this and has died more times from my gun hitting the floor when running past someone and trying to get my aim back then actually helping my gameplay Aim assist is what ruins CoD in my opinon.

• Re: NEW OPTION AIM ASSIST OFF/ON

There already is an option to disable aim assist...

It's been there on every CoD...

theatriks

Turning off Aim Assist in the past never stopped the camera from moving when an enemy walks past. I've turned it off in all the past CoD titles, never really made much of a difference to me.

Atleast it isn't a snap lock aim assist. Could you imagine the whining if you snap locked and it stayed locked while playing this game?

dirtycallahan

i would turn it off if i could, but iw/sledghammer must think people suck at the game and wont give an option to turn it off

ya it's prettymuch a terrible feature

I always get screwed by this when theres more than one target, I'm trying to shoot target A but the assist jerks your aim to target B or C, Drives me nuts

The first thing I do when playing a new game is set up my audio/video stuff and turn off the aim assist. SP is one thing, but no one should get an assist in their aiming when playing other humans. Just my 2 cents.

Can someone pls contact them to tell them to put an ON/Off option for aim assist on next update... Its driving me nervous!!! Who said U can turn it off in every cod? Thts not true! You cant turn off aim assist in MW1, MW2, and MW3!!! You can, but only in campain... which i never played... Why stupid treyarch gave us tht option in cod bo, and these guys didnt??? When im aiming on distance on 2 people, my aim confuses and dono who to track, so it stays stuck in middle of two dudes, and .... im dead...!!! It same thing in close range, if someone is running next to me, my aim goes down, and whole world desorients me... I Think we should do something!!! Pls im begging any of you, try to send the message to some of them thts responcible for not having button to disable aim assist in cod mw3 multiplayer... and plus, lagg is terrible, sometimes, me and my friends are waiting for whole hour just to find lobby...

fisheadz

bo also gave you more adjustments on sound levels an options for the display of other players names [so there isnt writing plastered all over the screen all the time]

Aim assist has been around ever since MW, and has always stayed on while you play the MP mode. There is nothing we can do about it. I personally am not a fan of it. Sure it has helped me when I otherwise couldn't tell where an enemy was through a cloud of smoke and other situations, but I would rather not have it at all. I don't understand why they will not allow an option for players to turn it off. And now that we are on the subject, I don't really have an issue with quick scoping, but for the record, if they made it so when you have a Sniper Rifle in use aim assist wouldn't "activate" it would make it less gimicky. Not to mention I hate zooming in only to have my sights follow an unintended target.

Ya it sux in multiplayer because when you're aiming down the sites and an enemy comes from the right side of your screen, the sights move to the left (but not on him) just a little off so you miss and die. I am ok at this game (1.10 KD) and this feature causes most of my deaths.

FIX IT!!!

Ya it sux in multiplayer because when you're aiming down the sites and an enemy comes from the right side of your screen, the sights move to the left (but not on him) just a little off so you miss and die. I am ok at this game (1.10 KD) and this feature causes most of my deaths.

FIX IT!!!

starbuckfrack

Matt8 wrote:

FIX IT!!!

Sounds more like a camper who stares at one spot.

Not a single person on this thread understands aim assist.

cool.

Please enlighten us then...

1. Single player has auto-aim, not aim assist.

2. You can't turn off multiplayer's aim assist in ANY COD, EXCEPT for Black Ops (Target Assist).

3. Xbox Live settings for aim assist DO NOT CARRY OVER to a game's multiplayer.

4. CoD's aim assist is mainly "Sticky Aim".

5. CoD's aim assist is over the edge to cater to casual gamers. Gears has almost non-existent aim assist and Halo only has slightly less aim assist. Monday Night Combat has no aim assist.

6. Aim assist's logic is behind the deadzones of the gamepad's analog sticks and the lack of pin-point precision which a keyboard and mouse have.

7. While aim assist is REQUIRED for FPS games on a console, the amount CoD has is EXTREMELY high which makes strafing and evading tactics nearly useless.

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaom3cdZv1c

1. It doesn't specifiy in this thread that he isn't talking about single player, but you should be able to tell that has nothing to do with this argument.

2. I've already mentioned that you cant. That's why it's suggested that the developers make it an option.

3. I wish I knew why this was even mentioned. You're just taking on numbers to benefit your argument I guess. Either that or someone posted something about that in ignorance.

4. Call it whatever you want to call it, there is no reason viable reason as to why you shouldn't be able to turn it off in MP.

5-8. refer to number 4.

Bottom line, there should be an option to turn it off. Simple as that. People can defend it by saying the pros outweigh the cons, but unless I missed the memo the devs have never taken the time to say why they wont allow an option.

1-8. You're an idiot for thinking this is an argument.

9. Go play Halo in a private match and shoot at your teammates, and tell me how well it goes.

10. Go play Black Ops with "Target Assist" disabled and tell me how well you kill enemies that are actually moving.

Call it whatever I want? It's factual, proven, and there is a reason for "sticky aim" for consoles.

How is this not an argument?We're obviously not agreeing on this topic. If anything you're the idiot for saying its not. But that's beside the point. I've played Black Ops without it and even though I'm not a fan of the game anyway, I prefered having assist off. And no one is saying there isn't a reason to have it. We're simply saying there should be an option. If you don't want it on that's fine, no one cares or has an issue with how you feel. That doesn't mean you need to go running into a thread like your opinion is any more valid than ours with your little attitude that you seem to have. You're talking like having an option to turn "sticky aim" off is going to affect you negatively.

zachdavis11

I like aim assist only because it moves me screen a little when someone's hiding ..

TL_Bare_B_V2

xukimpact wrote:

ok this is really getting on my nerves aim assist is always on and it so bad with the amount of drop shotters yes theres controllers that actually have a button for this as well

all controllers come with this option it's called tactical button setup and you can change it in the menus, I use it because I don't really knife people but find myself ducking in and out of cover a lot.

sgtGanGreen

Yea, you can only turn it off in black ops, I tryed it ON and OFF but it's still better ON becaouse when you ADS at long range it realy helps a lot

Right this thread is painful to read. Just to clarify a little on the terms:

Aim Assist (general term on console FPS) = Your reticle SLOWS when it passes over enemies. Also known as "Sticky Aim". This is ALWAYS ON in ALL game types in MW3 and generally ALL console FPS games. It exists because a controller is an inferior device for accuracy in FPS games compared to a mouse & keyboard PC setup. Incidently PC games DO NOT have aim assist for this reason. It's not needed.

Auto Aim =(confusingly called Aim Assist in COD) Your reticle SNAPS into target when you ADS close to the enemy. This feature can be switched on/off. The option is available in Campaign Mode and Spec Ops Mission Mode. NOT  available in Survival Mode though and multiplayer.

Hope that makes things clearer.

Just to add in Black Ops, Treyarc included the option to turn off sticky aim in multiplayer. MW3 doesn't most likely because it's a copy pasta of previous MW games. Even though I prefer sticky aim on I agree with OP, why not include an simple option that appealed to people which available in the previous COD title? A followup title should BUILD on the previous titles features not work BACKWARDS. 

Thank you Wanktivision and Infauxnity Ward for your failed logic.

IEliteWalker

It is needed because a controller isn't as precise as a mouse. You wouldn't beable to aim properly without it or without ALOT practice even then people with inferior aiming skills will still outgun you.

You fail to see the OPs point, he knows WHY it's there but it's a preference. Some want it on, some don't. I agree with you personally, I prefer to have it on. BUT Black Ops had the option for those to who want it off. Why remove it in MW3...that is the point.

It's a similar point as to why they didn't include a music volume slider option that Black Ops had. Many hate the inane lobby music. Basic options that the previous COD title had are missing.

There is no reason to have an option to disable it. Its literally impossible to mimic player model movement to the accuracy of an analog stick.

Disable aim assist, and you might as well cut off your fingers and still try to play.

CowboySr

They need to get rid of it altogether. IMO

Privx420x

Yeah it's especially weak when there is 2 or more enemies and you got your dot on one then 2 more run out and now your gun is waving all over the ******* place.

Whats even more stupid is you can turn it off in Spec ops.

It's called "Aim Assist" in Spec Ops but it actually refers to the Auto Aim function. The "sticky aim", which is what this thread is about, remains no matter what you do. There is no option to turn it off like in Black Ops.

starbuckfrack

xukimpact wrote:

ok this is really getting on my nerves aim assist is always on and it so bad with the amount of drop shotters yes theres controllers that actually have a button for this as well and soon as you run pass someone they drop to the floor causing your gun to hit the floor and run like a chicken for 2 secs making it very hard to get bearings again or running past people on stairs and u hit thwe wall , , snipers are hitting wrong places and all sorts of stupid running about is happening where is the option to turn this stupid feature OFF

how many of your agree that aim assist should be a option me for one does not need this and has died more times from my gun hitting the floor when running past someone and trying to get my aim back then actually helping my gameplay Aim assist is what ruins CoD in my opinon.

"causing your gun to hit the floor and run like a chicken for 2 secs"

Anyone else in the game have their gun running around like a chicken when you drop it ? Mine just stays there when I drop it . One time it grabbed a pretzel on one of those food carts after I died.

Wouldnt that be cool if while it was running around it woud still fire rapidly like that one gun did  when Jamie Lee Curtis dropped hers in True Lies

xbevz

These are game defaults, so I'm not sure if this helps for multiplayer or not but it's maybe worth a try, if you press the center button on your controller, RB twice, click on profile then game defaults and select action. There are 4 options, 2 of which are Auto aim and  Auto-center.

creaper21

Most of you don't even realise how much it helps you. 90% of your kills are made 10x easier because of aim assist. We all get the occasional screw up where it follows someone who ran pass you while you were trying to aim at someone else, but overall it helps a lot. It is fun to turn it off for a while and see if you do well. I personally used to use a controller on CoD when I played on PC for a while, but the mouse is way more precise and smooth.

adw1983

I started playing without aim assist in multiplayer in Perfect Dark for Nintendo 64.

Then CoD4 forced aim assist.

I believe WaW allowed it to be turned off, but do not shoot me if I'm wrong.

In MW2, I can't recall if it was an option.

But in Black Ops, I turned it off, only to realize it is an integral part of having the hit-detection work because the aim assist follows the hitboxes, and there appears to be desynch between player models and hitboxes at times.

In singleplayer, I play with it off, and thrive.
      In local multiplayer, I play with it off and do good.

In online play, I do horribly without aim assist / sticky aim.

But as described in my post above, it actually hinders aim as well.

I would like to see it gone for EVERYONE to deter skilless quick-scopers.
      (Without aim assist, few players would succeed at quickscoping.)

adw1983

I started playing without aim assist in multiplayer in Perfect Dark for Nintendo 64.

Then CoD4 forced aim assist.

I believe WaW allowed it to be turned off, but do not shoot me if I'm wrong.

In MW2, I can't recall if it was an option.

But in Black Ops, I turned it off, only to realize it is an integral part of having the hit-detection work because the aim assist follows the hitboxes, and there appears to be desynch between player models and hitboxes at times.

In singleplayer, I play with it off, and thrive.
      In local multiplayer, I play with it off and do good.

In online play, I do horribly without aim assist / sticky aim.

But as described in my post above, it actually hinders precision aiming as well.

I would like to see it gone for EVERYONE to deter skilless quick-scopers.
      (Without aim assist, few players would succeed at quickscoping.)

adw1983

Private match.
    Plug in a second controller.
    Turn off join in progress.

Spawn both characters.

Find the dud controller character.

Aim away from him, and strafe so that your sight will meet him.

Notice THAT?

WHAT THE HELL IS *THAT*?

It makes no sense at all, and it WILL kill you when you walk out of a corner while aiming for the camper watching the doorway.

(For you lazy unscientific guys, what happens is that your sight SLOWS DOWN and DEFLECTS off the enemy hitbox before your sight reaches the enemy and actually "helps".)

Now imagine you strafing slowly out through a doorway to kill that corner camper.

That is an instant death due to aim assist right there, and you won't even notice.

sgtGanGreen

You can only turn it off in singleplayer it DOES NOT reflect in multiplayer