14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 9:07 PM by Snotnose RSS

Smoke 'em if you got 'em challenge

So, recently I have been trying to go for all the titles/emblems, and I cam across this one in the barracks: "Kill 10 enemies inside your smokescree." Now, I swear I have tried every possible way of killing a person whether I'm in the smokescreen or they're in the smoke screen but NONE of my kills are registering or give me credit in the barracks. It still sais I am on 0/10 kills for this challenge. Is anyone else having a similair problem or could give me some tips of how to get the kills to register? Would be greratly appreciated -thanks!

• Re: Smoke 'em if you got 'em challenge

Could try thermal

It's the fact it's MW3. Nothing in this game works normally.

It is most likely that both you and the enemy have to be in the smoke, dunno why it's not working.

Although I do have one idea, it's a long shot but worth a try, it could be a challenge which is completed whilst using the Riot Shield Jugg...that Jugg has a Smoke Grenade, doubt it but worth a shot tbh mate.

Your enemy and you must be within your smoke screen with enough smoke dispersed to visually impair both of you. With that being said, you must then shoot the enemy and kill him with these conditions. Killing with explosions (Rocket Launchers, Claymores, Grenades, etc.) do not count towards this challenge. I currently have 18/25 for the "Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em" challenge. Hope this helps.

If you aren't aware, smoke grenades are very touchy as to whether or not everyone sees the smoke. For some reason I've been in a smoke cloud trying to get this challenge, only to be killed by someone and they had no smoke on their screen at all. This is why the challenge is so difficult. Because, Although you may be in a smoke screen, what is to say that your enemy is?

Got to say, this has been one difficult challenge so far. It's also hard to guage what your enemy saw going by killcams. They're not 100% accurate as they are not recordings of what your enemy saw, but merely reenactments of what happened before your death. For some reason smoke, broken glass, and sometimes bullets don't appear

Objective gametypes seems to be the easiest way to finish this challenge. Demolition or Domination mostly...

You DO NOT have to be in the smoke. Only your enemy does. I've got 22/25 today alone and haven't been in the smoke once. This challenge sucks and is extremely wonky regarding whether or not it considers them 'in' the smoke, but can be done only somewhat painfully.

Play Domination games, hide near one of the objectives, when it says 'enemy is capturing alpha' (or whatever) pop out and drop a smoke grenade on him, hide back a sec while smoke disperses, hope he's not one of the 50% of people using assasin, and pop 'em with your thermal scope. Rinse and repeat.

Easy way I completed the challenge was to play drop zone, just wait for the enemy to take the drop zone and throw a smoke grenade in there,wait a couple seconds and throw a grenade in there or shoot a rocket launcher or noobtube into the smoke cloud, explosives do count also. Completed it in a couple hrs.

I have 27/50 kills for the 'Smoke em' if you got em'" challenge. You must kill the enemy when HE is inside the smoke screen. Now, this may seem like it doesn't work but it is very touchy, he must be directly in the smoke screen and the smoke must be fully exposed. What I usually do is make sure to always throw smoke in a room where i think he may be hiding around a corner, wait for the smoke to rise a bit, and throw a semtex in the middle of the smoke. Thermal scopes are just as effective on certain maps along with C4. I am just now reading the 'Drop Zone' comment which I have not tried yet, but seems like that would be the best approach to completing the challenge. Add me to your buddies list if anyone has any questions because I am rarely on the PC to check this.

JBeestlee420 - LEGIT PLAYER

codbig_boss

find a guy camping and throw smoke on him and kill him inside it

The method is easier than you think.  I have completed this challenge every prestige (im currently on #9).  Dont use thermal (total waste because you cant percieve depth and most kills will be out of the smoke), dont use c4 or frags or semtex (most of the time by the time you throw the smoke and then throw the explosive the enemy is already out of the radius or the smoke has dissipated).  The two ways I do this is such.  (1) Smoke grenade in Drop zone followed up by a SMAW or RPG.  On certain maps where the drop zone is in a corner you can rack up easy multi kills (side note by doing this I ususally complete theRPG multikill challenge with ease) (2) set up a fast class with the smoke and just run around and find people and hit them with the smoke grenade.  A hit marker for some reason counts as being in the smoke even if they are half a map away.  I hit a guy with smoke and ran after him for a good 3 seconds and it still counted.  This is by far the easiest way.  You should be getting 4-5 per game using this method.

ctrl-s

Finally completed this playing mostly DropZone. Using Striker / UMP Thermal / and some Rockets.

Snotnose

I'm with the original poster.  Been trying to do smoke kills for 3 days now and still have 0.  I've used thermal, explosive, and melee.  So far nothing has registered.

This is the only tactical challenge I have left, and it's a royal pain in the buttski.

It's really weird to ignore your score and focus on getting a barracks acheivement, never really affected my gameplay until this one.