48 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2011 7:30 AM by splittinwigs RSS

Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

Wiggy and Fell 14043 played barebones tonight and believe it or not, you play "most pit" style, but we had ZERO, that's right folks, ZERO connection issues during this gaming session. It was amazing without the endless bombardment of air support/killstreaks and endless calling in of said support that the game played extremely smoothly. Now some of you might say "Wiggy, no one plays barebones!" Well apparently the secret was out, because Wiggy and Fell played for about 2 hours and the lobby's emptied and filled back up extremely quickly and we never had an issue with matchmaking or lag whatsoever.  If you are seeing connection issues, Wiggy recommends BAREBONES playlist. Don't judge it, give it a shot and see how you like it.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

    My ISP has a server issue where I test 250ms ping to a Detroit server, about 5 miles away. Will my connection be perfect?

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
    Brick2urFace

    Are you wiggy? If you are please stop refering to your self in the third person, you are not a professional wrestler.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

    i realized this back in black ops... just takes a huge load off the game i suppose

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
    deucedouglas

    There's times in every game mode where it's like this. I played TDM for hours the other day with my cousin and never had any issues. Then the next day I get on and its back to the same old crap. Inconsistency.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
    SmokeyCheese1

    So your advice is to play a game mode that I dont enjoy - just to play lag free? I think you confuse advice with suggestion. Ive played so much HC TDM that Im used to a little bit of lag as it is. There are times when its unplayable and times when it seems perfect.

     

    I'll continue to rage quit when lag is an issue just to try to join a lag free lobby.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

    Switching game types is not a cure for connection issues.  IF it plays consistantly, it's merely avoiding the problem, it fixes nothing.

    • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
      maccabi

      AEon_Xao wrote:

       

      Switching game types is not a cure for connection issues.  IF it plays consistantly, it's merely avoiding the problem, it fixes nothing.

      Actually you are completely wrong,

      wiggy has demonstrated something I have been trying to explain to people since the days of blops and if i can say so rather elagantly in his Inimitable way.

       

      Instead of being the negative nancy here Aeon how about taking a step back and thinking WHY it plays smoother..then you know where to direct the pent ups too

      • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

        maccabi wrote:

         

        AEon_Xao wrote:

         

        Switching game types is not a cure for connection issues.  IF it plays consistantly, it's merely avoiding the problem, it fixes nothing.

        Actually you are completely wrong,

        wiggy has demonstrated something I have been trying to explain to people since the days of blops and if i can say so rather elagantly in his Inimitable way.

         

        Instead of being the negative nancy here Aeon how about taking a step back and thinking WHY it plays smoother..then you know where to direct the pent ups too

         

        Yes, system resources can run low with explosions and kill streaks and such.  Toning down the graphical engine, or limiting it's stress, however, does not cure network problems.

         

        The title is purposefully misleading with the obvious purpose of gaining clicks.

        • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
          maccabi

          AEon_Xao wrote:

           

          maccabi wrote:

           

          AEon_Xao wrote:

           

          Switching game types is not a cure for connection issues.  IF it plays consistantly, it's merely avoiding the problem, it fixes nothing.

          Actually you are completely wrong,

          wiggy has demonstrated something I have been trying to explain to people since the days of blops and if i can say so rather elagantly in his Inimitable way.

           

          Instead of being the negative nancy here Aeon how about taking a step back and thinking WHY it plays smoother..then you know where to direct the pent ups too

           

          Yes, system resources can run low with explosions and kill streaks and such.  Toning down the graphical engine, or limiting it's stress, however, does not cure network problems.

           

          The title is purposefully misleading with the obvious purpose of gaining clicks.

          yes explosions ect cause a hit on the framerate but ......

           

          killstreaks eat up bandwidth you can fill the rest in yourself. Now please toddle off before you make yourself look even more shonkulous

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

    I haven't played barebones yet, but I'm inclined to agree with you. Search and Destroy, for me anyways has always been the least laggy gametype and one I always seem to do well on. I would think barebones follows along the same lines as a gametype like SND.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
    maccabi

    anyways back on the topic de jour... as some of may remember earlier this year the infamous story of when we killed canadas internet.

     

    for those not familar with this one of our buddies in canada hosted a private lobby, being a night of shenanigans we decided to set killstreaks to 1 kill and make that ks a care package..

    and let loose playing ffa on nuketown..

     

    took about first mins was fine.. 2nd bit skippy...by the third something wasnt right by the 5th the game froze and our buddy dissapeared off line for hours, reason his cable modem had a heartattack, it couldnt keep up with the amount of traffic being generated by the multitude of killstreaks, its buffers filled and it died, it took our buddy a good few hours to get it up and running again basically having to reset it and wait till it cleared the buffers.

     

    the moral of this story... whether  or not you happen to be someone whose mental and social abilites are akin to a rhododendron with a bad case of green fly, the simple fact is killstreaks make extra traffic, extra traffic is more packets ..more packets means more stress on a connection.. stress leads to the darkside..

    • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

      maccabi wrote:

       

      anyways back on the topic de jour... as some of may remember earlier this year the infamous story of when we killed canadas internet.

       

      for those not familar with this one of our buddies in canada hosted a private lobby, being a night of shenanigans we decided to set killstreaks to 1 kill and make that ks a care package..

      and let loose playing ffa on nuketown..

       

      took about first mins was fine.. 2nd bit skippy...by the third something wasnt right by the 5th the game froze and our buddy dissapeared off line for hours, reason his cable modem had a heartattack, it couldnt keep up with the amount of traffic being generated by the multitude of killstreaks, its buffers filled and it died, it took our buddy a good few hours to get it up and running again basically having to reset it and wait till it cleared the buffers.

       

      the moral of this story... whether  or not you happen to be someone whose mental and social abilites are akin to a rhododendron with a bad case of green fly, the simple fact is killstreaks make extra traffic, extra traffic is more packets ..more packets means more stress on a connection.. stress leaves to the darkside..

       

      Fear leads to anger

      Anger leads to hate

      Hate leads jealousy

      Jealousy leads to Wiggy...

       

      Great analogy Master... Hehe

    • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

      Still only anecdotal evidence.  If you want to prove your theory, provide scientific data.(that's why I asked for a source above, that's what a citation is, a request for actual evidence).

      I'll admit that more stuff happening is more data, but how much more?  Will it really impact broadbrand internet?  I can download a gig an hour even on my small connection, how much data are we talking here?  If it were really enough to clog one's bandwidth, it would be a record shattering phenomenon, hence, my doubt.

       

      Mw2, at a quick search of google, show's that it used about 15mb an hour up and down.(a big interest to some, because some ISP's still have caps for monthly usage)

       

      That doesn't even scrape even my measly connection.

       

      That's what i mean when I ask for a source.  Until you come up with some data, you're just another kid suggesting he put his xbox in the oven or wrapping it in a towel to fix it.  Urban myths, old wives tales, and anecdotal stories, do no one any good.

       

      I could claim that I saw god once, doesn't prove a thing. 

       

      Frying a cable modem once?

      Maybe it was old, full of lint, and just overheated.  Sitting on the carpet(static discharge can fry electronics, and the carpet can hamper airflow)?  Stuffed into an entertainment center with all of the other space heater electronics?

       

      Maybe the host xbox is so resource overloaded it can't communicate with the modem. or function correctly perma-glitching the game.  You could do this easily enough in Halo's forge mode, and it had nothing to do with the network.

       

      Still, the fault is with the game, and not a solution to the network issue of the core game playing badly.

       

      Sure, it may be sage advice for people willing to play that game type, but for the masses it's useless, therefore the thread title is flat out wrong.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

    Great games last night Wiggy! It sure was nice getting to play the game as it was intended for once. No B.S. connection related deaths, no one hiding in a far off corner waiting for that one poor sucker to walk by, and there weren't a hundred explosions going off in my ears.

     

    When Robert Bowling said "A return to gun-on-gun, like CoD 4" I felt completely betrayed when witnessing the final product... but then we found a diamond in the rough... Barebones! Maybe this is what he was referring to? For his sake, I can only hope so.

     

     

     

    Oh, and I sure hope Foxy can get here and clean up the filth. There's a certain little troll who's just begging to be taken to the curb.

    • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

      fell14043 wrote:

       

      Great games last night Wiggy! It sure was nice getting to play the game as it was intended for once. No B.S. connection related deaths, no one hiding in a far off corner waiting for that one poor sucker to walk by, and there weren't a hundred explosions going off in my ears.

       

      When Robert Bowling said "A return to gun-on-gun, like CoD 4" I felt completely betrayed when witnessing the final product... but then we found a diamond in the rough... Barebones! Maybe this is what he was referring to? For his sake, I can only hope so.

       

       

       

      Oh, and I sure hope Foxy can get here and clean up the filth. There's a certain little troll who's just begging to be taken to the curb.

       

       

      You bet Sir! Don't forget we need to pencil in a time and a video for your "meet the 4rummer" video.

       

      No rush, get one of your favorites and let me know and we'll hook it up.

       

      Barebones was a blast last night, just hope people take Wiggy's advice and take advantage of this unpolished turd in the rough.

      • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

        splittinwigs wrote:

         

        fell14043 wrote:

         

        Great games last night Wiggy! It sure was nice getting to play the game as it was intended for once. No B.S. connection related deaths, no one hiding in a far off corner waiting for that one poor sucker to walk by, and there weren't a hundred explosions going off in my ears.

         

        When Robert Bowling said "A return to gun-on-gun, like CoD 4" I felt completely betrayed when witnessing the final product... but then we found a diamond in the rough... Barebones! Maybe this is what he was referring to? For his sake, I can only hope so.

         

         

         

        Oh, and I sure hope Foxy can get here and clean up the filth. There's a certain little troll who's just begging to be taken to the curb.

         

         

        You bet Sir! Don't forget we need to pencil in a time and a video for your "meet the 4rummer" video.

         

        No rush, get one of your favorites and let me know and we'll hook it up.

         

        Barebones was a blast last night, just hope people take Wiggy's advice and take advantage of this unpolished turd in the rough.

        Well, I've got one or two good games that we could use I think, and I'm good pretty much anytime on the weekends.

         

        It was a helluva good time, for sure. I'm hoping to replicate the same success tonight.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles

    Thanks for the tip, Wiggs.  I'll pitch the plan to my clan-mates tonight and see if anyone is interested.  The way things have been going, they might agree to a riot shield only match if it's relatively lag free.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
    iif0xh0undii

    Cleaned up this thread. I can see the validity in many arguments here and I tried to preserve what I could.

     

    If I missed anything I apologize.

  • Re: Connection issues? Wiggy has the cure for your troubles
    coolwhhhip

    Thanks man. Good stuff.