1 2 3 4 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 8:40 AM by Biff360 Go to original post RSS
  • 10. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    avngr9

Its not just cross country gaming though.  What this video and article describes is happening all over the place.  I'm in the Midwest and I'm sure at least most of my games are with other people in the US and I'm still experiencing these kind of issues (I'm usually on the Tel Aviv side of the fight).

Coming face to face with a guy and instantly dieing only to watch the killcam and see that he unloaded an entire clip but all you see is one shot and you are dead.  The first video demonstrates that Kill Cam is an accurate representation of what the killer saw.

At the very least it proves there are major advantages given to people based on their connection.  Wether it can be fixed or tuned is up for debate but I don't see how people can deny this (whatever you want to call it) is an issue.

• 11. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

Great read!!! So what do you guy think the answer is. Dedicated servers, P2P, or Client Based?

• 12. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    WantedMan

Good read ! thanks Keep at top so all can see......

• 13. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    jessedart

thats a good question, all 3 methods have their pro's and cons.  I think however they had it in cod4 and mw2 was the best, things started going bad in blops.  The the lesser of all the lag evils is for the host to have the advantage, that way perhaps more people will endevour to make their connection as good as possible to increase their chances of becoming the host...That and stricter matchmaking, that will suck for ppl in less populated countries but thats life, I wasnt born a member of any royal family but Im not complaining lol.

• 14. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    avengedyesterday

thegedden wrote:

Great read!!! So what do you guy think the answer is. Dedicated servers, P2P, or Client Based?

There is no true answer. Each has it's own problems and when it comes down to it you just can't be instantly connected to someone else perfectly unless you have linked the consoles up in one room.

Also another major problem causing so much frustration is the fact these games nowadays are demanding more and more from connections. Not only are you sending data to the host but you are also sending data to activision servers ( elite most likely ). This started in blackops. Everyone blames it on lag comp which is probably a factor but most likely due to the fact you are connecting to a host and a server. All your stat data is being sent to the server while you are also playing the game with the host.

Only way to fix this would be for everyone to send all that data that would be sent to the server to the host then after the match the host sends it to the servers. Which that really wont be possible unless the host has an amazing connection and also has enough memory avalible. Those variables are too much to assume the vast majority of the playerbase can handle it.

Another solution would be to keep the stats on the consoles but that would bring many other problems. Easy stat modding, wouldn't be able to access peoples stats unless they are online ( which could be solved by the game sending the stat data to activsion AFTER games have finished ).

This is why lag in mw2 and cod4 was so minor. If we were only dealing with ping lag comp would work like it is suppose to.

• 15. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    jessedart

could they use some asynchronous method for the stat tracking? say for example, everybodies stats were stored on their console during the game, when the game ends the function to upload all the stats to activisons server would kick off, that way uploading stats does not take away memory from running the game.

• 16. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    NIGHTSTALKERUP

interesting to say the least...very interesting...

btw, thanks for the post.

• 17. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    otisman666

Interesting to say the least, but really just a lay man's guide to the issue.  The one thing I can say is that it was exceptionally presented and in the end I pretty much agree with the conclusion.

Problem is that I just heard from JD 2020 (former 3arch dude), he claims this whole article and the videos are still simply all still in our heads and not real.

• 18. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    jessedart

lol, IW lie to us everytime we start a game, instead of showing us everybodies actual ping in miliseconds(ms), they show bars instead.

• 19. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

I think you nailed it here

avengedyesterday wrote:

Also another major problem causing so much frustration is the fact these games nowadays are demanding more and more from connections. Not only are you sending data to the host but you are also sending data to activision servers ( elite most likely ).

In order to monitise and/or protect against moding etc.., a lot of data is passed back to AV's servers. This additional burden to your data pipe can't be a good thing and in itself must introduce lag. Yes, I know people say that ping times =/= bandwidth BUT sending fewer/smaller packets MUST help.

My own feeling is dedicated servers would (as the article suggests) help to balance out the issue without having the need to come up with artificial compensation within the game. However, the big problem for dedicated servers is infrastructure - who pays for building/maintaining servers around the globe?

There would be one possible way of doing this though - there is a company who have indeed invested millions in building/deploying data centres all around the globe - Microsoft. If they were to instead host the game servers themselves (relieving the devs from that burden), then things could balance out. However, such a move would probably result in higher Gold membership/Games etc..

1 2 3 4 Previous Next