1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 8:40 AM by Biff360 Go to original post RSS
  • 40. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    djtn

I get you man and I definitely see your mind working from a network perspective as that’s your gig, which is cool.

I leave with this: Call of Duty shouldn’t be taken seriously. The reality is it's not about being the best or better than someone else because the data, (in game or out of game) is invalid and inaccurate. Its entertainment and time well spent cutting up with my friends on Xbox Live.

Don't let it trick you into thinking it's something it's not.

• 41. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

maccabi wrote:

but the same point applies without lag comp the lowest ping would win everything and that isnt fair either.

Slightly controversial viewpoint on these forums but i would rather play with lag comp on consoles than without

You have a tainted view of what "fair" is.

Host advantage only gives one guy the advantage.  No body is artificially made to play worse.

With the current setup, Everyone but the guy with the bad lag IS artificially given a distinct disadvantage, the host more than anyone.

That's the principle and the effect behind the current set up, to lobotomize smart people to allow the mentally retarded to rule the world.

Cruel and unusual, if ever there was the perfect time to use that phrase, it's here and now.

I'd rather one guy have a natural advantage, than have the other 11 people be intentionally and artifically hobbled to bring a terminally sick view of "fairness" to the game.

It's no different from playing on a ded server, and the guy who runs it has advantage because he lives one building over from where it's hosted.

And this coming from a guy who never gets host, so it's not a rational justification to regain my privelage.

Forced and manipulated "fairness" that limits more than it helps is not fair at all.

Cutting the legs offf of all the tall people to make the short people feel better is not fair.

You may want to get yoru head examined.

• 42. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    maccabi

djtn wrote:

I get you man and I definitely see your mind working from a network perspective as that’s your gig, which is cool.

I leave with this: Call of Duty shouldn’t be taken seriously. The reality is it's not about being the best or better than someone else because the data, (in game or out of game) is invalid and inaccurate. Its entertainment and time well spent cutting up with my friends on Xbox Live.

Don't let it trick you into thinking it's something it's not.

Actually i'm assuming you never picked this snippet up on the blops forums.. yes networking is my "thing" nowadays, but before i went to the dark side and took the public sector dollar I worked in the games industry for a good many years making... online games (*disclaimer nothing on cod past being invoved in the modding community on pc.).

I also want to add i never once said there wasnt a problem with blops only that i never suffered with one, actually i explained most of the problems long before the devs actually stated some of them.. same with mw3 i have never once said there isnt a problem there is a major one but most of it relates to matchmaking more than the phrase de jour of lag comp each are intertwined.

• 43. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

One of the best read's in a while. If this doesn't prove anything then let the blind be further blinded.

• 44. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

uberNoobs wrote:

Maybe the moniker "lag-comp" is inaccurate from a technical perspective.

I would use the term vague, or generic.  Sure, all games have a mechanic that can be called "lag comp" but the details of how that is executed are what is different.  Being as we're in an Mw3 forum, unless otherwise explicitly stated, most of us mean the lag comp within Mw3.

Some people are a bit too pedantic.  Yeah, it is in other games, but it's an actual detriment here as where it was managable in other games.  Trying to equate "lag comp" to some universal standard is a logical fallacy called equivocation.  If I'm talking about a moon in a Saturn forum, people can't contradict me with information about Earth's moon, earths moon is irrelevant.

/that's no moon...

• 45. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

bottom line, this is the biggest piece of crap COD to date and the lag day in and day out is the reason i quit playing a week after i got the game, call it skill or lack of, luck, what ever, but when i play against the same player map after map and never win a face to face something is horribly wrong. the only thing this game had going for it was its awesome graphics in story mode.

• 46. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

Amen, AEon_Xao.

And you got the Star Wars reference in there! Woot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6biql7Hwwk&feature=related

• 47. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    iif0xh0undii

I actually agree with Maccabi.

I rather play with anti-lag than without on consoles. The only way I'd agree to not having lag compensation is to play on dedicated servers, but that'd be near impossible. It would greatly thwart what I believe is the allure of the console experience as the result would be heavily truncated.

• 48. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

iif0xh0undii wrote:

I actually agree with Maccabi.

I rather play with anti-lag than without on consoles. The only way I'd agree to not having lag compensation is to play on dedicated servers, but that'd be near impossible. It would greatly thwart what I believe is the allure of the console experience as the result would be heavily truncated.

As I posted elsehwere, not many people with technical knowledge want it removed, but toned down.  Right now it's a built in handicap that restrains more people than it helps. We shouldn't be catering to the worst connections at the cost of worsening the experience for average to good connections.

If you want sunshine, move to florida.  You don't nuke the planet so it's nice and warm at the north pole.

• 49. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    iif0xh0undii

That's kind of a bad analogy.

When I think of the concept of anti-lag, I don't see how it can be "toned down." It's an algorithm that I feel works best and as fairly as possible. Its not like there is a buffer that is throttling our connections/delaying our packets.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next