1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 8:40 AM by Biff360 Go to original post RSS
  • 50. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

"feel works best and as fairly as possible"

hahahahahahhaaaa.  good one!

• 51. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

iif0xh0undii wrote:

That's kind of a bad analogy.

When I think of the concept of anti-lag, I don't see how it can be "toned down." It's an algorithm that I feel works best and as fairly as possible. Its not like there is a buffer that is throttling our connections/delaying our packets.

By changing numbers in the algorith so that we're not averaged out with the worst connections included?(the differences in kill cam and actual kill).

When you think of the concept, that's your problem.  You're not looking at the actual mechanics.  It's giving all plays a time shift, host included.  It's hobbling them and making the game worse for many.

It's actually a pretty good analogy.  Many are paying the price for the few in both scenerio's.

• 52. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    nightpr0wler76

I agree AEon, the older games ran much smoother, even tho the host may have had a slight advantage, I never saw it hobble the game up like it did in BO and MW3, if people chose to buy garbage internet or its not available in their area, well its just too damn bad, the games had a fairly decent connection up till BO for me, and its gotten a bit worse with MW3.

The real problem is you have morons defending Activision for not choosing dedicated servers, and you are seeing excatly the problem when you take a smallish shooter on the console, and keep trying to add more and more to it, while still running it on client p2p technology, it just doesnt work, if it did, you wouldnt have more and more people logging on to these forums complaining about lag and lag comp.

They can afford dedi's, they are just cheap and they have herp derps on here and some bone head from Acti/IW saying they cant afford it and people believe them, which I feel sad for those people, they have to be handicapped or something, EA has dedicated servers for almost all of their games which easily have more people playing them on a daily basis than the COD series, so I wonder why EA can and does have millions of people using their dedicated servers, but the 500k people that are playing COD at night would be too much to have servers for...LMAO

The best part is when they say it would be too far for some people to be on the servers, maybe they should check their matchmaking then, because I get in rooms with people from Mexico and Japan and Im from Canada lol

Dedis arent a cure all, but they are better than client p2p connections, for the main reason, the dedicated server cant be manipulated in the same way someones home connection can be when they are host.

• 53. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

I knew it!! I'm actually a COD GOD, but lag is messing with my game.

• 54. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

I would pay a few buck a month for ded servers.  If I recall, a CS server for 16 people could average out as little as 3$ a month per player.  Factor in that those 16 people won't be on 24/7, and you could squeeze that number down a smidge.

How much do we pay for XBOX live again?  5 bucks a month, for p2p gaming, free messaging, and annoying updates that add function for only some.

So, everythign that is already free for just about any PC game that comes out, and PC's had that stuff free for decades.

Oh yeah, we're paying for the advertisements, so in reality they make money twice off of us.  MS should shell out for Ded servers, imo.

*grumbles

• 55. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    iif0xh0undii

I am looking at it from a mechanic standpoint though. I rather there be a "time shift," it's more of a check really, than there be nothing at all. I wouldn't want them to change the anti-lag paramaters mid game. I'm far too accustomed to how this game plays. I don't encounter the "second behind someone" scenarios that a lot of users throw around. I'm not saying that an issue doesn't exist, but if it were a huge problem there would be thousands of anger threads. Changing it midgame would definitely create some upset masses. I think it's at it's fairest that it can be. If anything, I would want host selection to be revamped. Hosts in this game seem a bit wonky.

• 56. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

But think of us out there that get to see that 1-2 seconds behind other players every day.

CoD used to be my favorite game. I've been playing LoL for the past 2 weeks now because it's unplayable for me atm. I can't get into a game without being behind EVERY player on the game.

• 57. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

iif0xh0undii wrote:

I am looking at it from a mechanic standpoint though. I rather there be a "time shift," it's more of a check really, than there be nothing at all. I wouldn't want them to change the anti-lag paramaters mid game. I'm far too accustomed to how this game plays. I don't encounter the "second behind someone" scenarios that a lot of users throw around. I'm not saying that an issue doesn't exist, but if it were a huge problem there would be thousands of anger threads. Changing it midgame would definitely create some upset masses. I think it's at it's fairest that it can be. If anything, I would want host selection to be revamped. Hosts in this game seem a bit wonky.

Rather?  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Any variable can be tweaked.

There aren't thousands of threads on it?  Are you reading the same website that I am?

Hosts are "wonky" because they're hobbled.  It's like tying the shoe laces of all competing olympic athletes so that the disabled 12 year old can "win".

It more or less IS rigging the game. 

previously, getting host was like winning the lottery in the hands of a skilled player.

Now, though, winning the "lottery" is like getting stoned to death, only skill can't compensate when your xbox is basicly lying to you about enemy locations and such.

Variables have changed.  I've explained it a variety of ways now. If you can't see the truth of the matter after that, the problem lies on your head.  Sure, some ignorant kids say "remove it".... the rest of us know what it does, and ARE NOT SAYING THAT, only this time around it's worse off for more people and ONLY beneficial to poor connections.  Punishing those with decent connections is not "fair" in any sense of the word, and that IS what is happening should a low quality connection join any lobby.

• 58. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

AEon_Xao wrote:

iif0xh0undii wrote:

Rather?  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Any variable can be tweaked.

There aren't thousands of threads on it?  Are you reading the same website that I am?

Hosts are "wonky" because they're hobbled.  It's like tying the shoe laces of all competing olympic athletes so that the disabled 12 year old can "win".

It more or less IS rigging the game. 

previously, getting host was like winning the lottery in the hands of a skilled player.

Now, though, winning the "lottery" is like getting stoned to death, only skill can't compensate when your xbox is basicly lying to you about enemy locations and such.

Variables have changed.  I've explained it a variety of ways now. If you can't see the truth of the matter after that, the problem lies on your head.  Sure, some ignorant kids say "remove it".... the rest of us know what it does, and ARE NOT SAYING THAT, only this time around it's worse off for more people and ONLY beneficial to poor connections.  Punishing those with decent connections is not "fair" in any sense of the word, and that IS what is happening should a low quality connection join any lobby.

I do fine on my connection. is 25 down and 5 up a "poor" connection?? 

Also that analgy about the olympic runners against a handicapped 12 year old is so bad, man. That would never happen. Ever.

• 59. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

asianman12 wrote:

I do fine on my connection. is 25 down and 5 up a "poor" connection?? 

Also that analgy about the olympic runners against a handicapped 12 year old is so bad, man. That would never happen. Ever.

I don't know about your connection.  Bandwidth means jack squat once it's above a bare minimum(for FPS gaming). I played games online such as halo and Mw2 with a 1mb down.  sure, I was never host, but it played fine.  My bro has 2 down now, and he does pull host quite often.  Was awesome in other games, blows in Mw3.  I have 3 down now, but I have a higher ping, so I still don't get host, and it plays better here.

The vastly more important facts about connection are line quality and ping.  Packetloss, jitter, noise, etc, makes for a bad game experience.  Some high speed companies excell in bandwidth, but are very poor for line quality.  Downloads are fine, because there are checks and balances.  Playing a fast paced game where every single bit of data has to make it through, and on time, is an entirely different beast than is downloading, say, a HD movie.

1 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next