38 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 8:45 PM by nuttin2say RSS

K/D DOES make a GOOD player!

Tons of people  are trying to think of excuses to what makes the best player instead of his/her KDR.

It is K/D and here is why...

Simple, take a player with a 0.80 KDR and have him 1v1 a player with a 3.50 KDR. The lower KD player is going to get destroyed.... sorry, it's the truth... Nuff said.

• Re: K/D DOES make a GOOD player!

Why?  Just why?

BrokenBladez

It'd be nice if K/D's weren't so easily skewed by game-mode, lag comp, and dashboarding.

If the 0.8 K/D guy actively tried capping flags in dom rather than going for a super elite-ima-champ K/D's, I'd rather have the 0.8 player.  Every Time.

"Q: KDR?

A: KDR is a pointless stat. Anyone is capable of going 30-1 every game if they play a certain way. I play to win, get lots of kills, and most importantly, to play in a way that I believe is most entertaining for you to watch. Sometimes I get great scores, sometimes I get horrible scores, and sometimes I get scores that are in between.

The moral of the story is to not judge someone's skill based on how well they can stay alive. Sure, they can get a 10+ KDR every game, but is that really someone you want on your team? I'll take the person with a 1.0 KDR, or even less for that matter, who plays for the objective over someone like that any day.

but if all you play is tdm and ffa then KDR is an important stat, lolz.

but if you must know: 0.91"- xcalizorz

Everyone is capable of going 30-1 everygame if they want/play a certain way... I DISAGREE.

Everyone is capapble? I think not. KD has alot to do with how good a player is. Just because you do 30-1 on one game doesnt mean your kd shoots up and your going to do that consistantly. you have to continuously be doing that good to have a good kd. Out of all those kills, your bound to have alot of gun on gun battles.

I still think players should be ranked with KD + points per minute. This eliminates camping. If you think about it, high kd means earning alot of killstreaks, giving the opponent almost none.

KD works for ALMOST every game mode.

S&D, Dem, Sab = Killing most of the team which wont allow them to plant the bomb or gives you the opportunity to defuse it or plant it.

Capture the flag= Allowing your team to return the flag because the opposing team is dead making them wait to respawn AT THEIR BASE and earning consistant air support which wont allow the other team to get very far.

TD= Everything

Yeah I saw that post by him.  His K/D is really like a 4 though lol.

Everyone is capapble? I think not. KD has alot to do with how good a player is. Just because you do 30-1 on one game doesnt mean your kd shoots up and your going to do that consistantly. you have to continuously be doing that good to have a good kd. Out of all those kills, your bound to have alot of gun on gun battles.

I still think players should be ranked with KD + points per minute. This eliminates camping. If you think about it, high kd means earning alot of killstreaks, giving the opponent almost none.

KD works for ALMOST every game mode.

S&D, Dem, Sab = Killing most of the team which wont allow them to plant the bomb or gives you the opportunity to defuse it or plant it.

Capture the flag= Allowing your team to return the flag because the opposing team is dead making them wait to respawn AT THEIR BASE and earning consistant air support which wont allow the other team to get very far.

TD= Everything

avengedyesterday

rushallday wrote:

Tons of people  are trying to think of excuses to what makes the best player instead of his/her KDR.

It is K/D and here is why...

Simple, take a player with a 0.80 KDR and have him 1v1 a player with a 3.50 KDR. The lower KD player is going to get destroyed.... sorry, it's the truth... Nuff said.

gallp13

Camp = high kd

Fight = maybe not so much.

Kd can be miss leading.

Lol 1v1s prove nothing.

06kev12

Hardline perk plus predator missle/precision air strike/attack heli. 4 kills lead to ten. Sorry, take the killstreak kills out of the ratio and you might have an argument.

I would love to see some of these moron's real k/d ratio

Also, play dominTion and ignore getting flags. You will have a low score.

xbevz

I'll be honest I'm not a great player but back in blops a guy challenged me after a game of TDM so I took him up on it for a bit of fun. His kd was over 3, mine below 1, he left the game when I was 13-2.!! Just because your k/d is high doesn't mean your a beast every game. Good player have bad games too.

cwatz

Good players with high KDR's are almost always gonna be superior to players when there is a large differences in KD.

Now im not defending KD as a stat.  Its largely irellevent in many modes.  However Its hard to ignore that in very broad terms that the people with really high ones tend to be better players though. 

vims1990

K/D is irrelevant in objective game modes.

Our team comprises of K/D from 0.5 to 1.5 K/D and we can stomp on high K/D teams as our main objective to cap flags, not go for a high individual scores

Sure, if you generally play TDM/FFA, then yes, K/D does have a place in those game modes

@davidlsofferman

xcal speaks the truth Sign smiley 89

jwaller123

I agree with many on this....K/D can be skewed by so many factors. Killstreaks, dashboarding, game mode choice, etc... You could go 3-0 in a game, leave the game, enter another, go 3-0, leave game, enter another....lather, rinse, repeat and bam...you got yourself a 3.0 k/d. Obj players will generally have a lowere k/d due to obvious reasons, while non obj. players will have a higher one. Thats just the way it is. Show me a player with a 3 or 4 k/d with 7 or 8 caps plus a game and then I'll be impressed.

obzi

If you ONLY play FFA the K:D is everything and then yes, you can judge yourself against others using it and to a lesser extent TDM (to a point) but in any other game it's meaningless.  My friend plays Domination and he's a class player at it, far better than me and he constantly wins because he's very objective orientated, his K:D is good but it isn't great because he doesn't waste his time running around trying to kill people.

DaRyuujin

This is not always trust for one simple fact some people with a high KD do stuff like sitting in corners with heatbeat monitors type 95's and clamores and get their kills the cheap way while others with lower KD may have more fun at the game and run around shooting and somebody trying out diffrent weapons for challenges and therefore die more often, That doesnt mean they are less skilled the the High KD player, hell when i was sitting back letting people come to me cuz i was tired of the mega camp fest the first few weeks of the game my KD was quickly rising well over 2 something well on its way to passing the 3.0 mark but i wasnt having as much fun in the game so i started runnign around and trying out Dif weapons so i started dieing by the "high KD" guys head camping with a OP gun or sniper, does not at ALL mean i'm a less skilled player

IMdaveduff

Usually when I play TDM, I check the lobby leaderboard and whoever has the highest K/d ratio becomes my target (if it's not me- mine is 1.74). I like to try and go after the 2-3+ K/D people to see if they are as good as the ratio indicates. I usually succeed at keeping them from getting killstreaks unless I have awful teammates. Often they leave the lobby after a game or two or if i do a really good job they just rage quit lol.

This is a simple debate, because it all depends on the game mode that you are playing that depends if KD is important

TDM - KD is important

CTF - KD is not, Flags Returned and Flags Captures is important

Domination - areas captured is more important than KD

Kill Confirm - everything is good cause you cannot get tags if you cannot kill

and so on and so on.....

catch my drift!

So by you saying that a .8 is worse than a 3.5 is right in only TDM if i am playing dom if you ahve 100 kills and we lost and i have 30 kills and more points than you well **** your 3.5 did nothing for us.  those excuses for well im getting the kill streaks so we can push forward LOL i ahve a stinger you KS are down before you get a kill.

jewz

How can people say K/d doesnt mean anything. You can camp in dom and not take flags but you still have to find people, kill them and not die. Its hard to keep a consistant 2+ k/d and I still havent gotten my k/d back up to 2 after a really terrible month. Its hard to keep it there and it is a good indication of skill. W/l in this game is pointless. I cant even count how many times i go into a game and lose because i have no teammates or they are just awful. Plus you can come into a game in the middle or end when your team is already getting crushed. If this was halo, W/l would be a good indication of skill.

also those saying you have to cap flags in dom to actually be doing something are wrong.  If you have somebody on your team destroying the other team, it makes it much much much easier to cap flags. Defends are also just as important which many people also seem to forget.  Ideally in a party playing dom you want a few guys killing everything (the better players) and a few guys taking points while they make sure they dont get killed

killadude87

Bro, My k/d is 0.70 and last night I **** a guy with 1.45 k/d in quickscoping.

OUHATEME

Only in tdm you must be one of those that troll other game types to I prove your kd by not playing objective tried dz once without killing anyone and with zero kills got top score . In Dom they try to justify that you need campers who don't do objective I only agree if you have 2 flags and the lead otherwise your dead unhelpful weight. I have nothing against camping I myself like to camp kill move quite a bit but I play the objective. Kc you gave go neg and get the most confirms easy. And I agree 1v1 a 3.0 vs 1.0 the 3.0 will win because the 1.0 is looking for the objective and on the move where the 3.0 is hiding and happy with 6-1 win and rarely closing out a match due to time running out. Just saying the are several sides to that argument and I have no issue with any playing style except cheaters hacks and boosters otherwise I may not like all playing styles but it's just part of the game just like those that don't like mine. So grab a tissue deal with it and no kd is not the basis for the best player. Unless its tdm.

I have a K/D ratio of 0.95 and mainly play domination. I have played FFA and even that is not a true representation of how good a player you are as I found in FFA you typcially can spawn in very bad locations which get you killed instantly, but on the same hand found that I also spawned right behind another player and got an easy kill. Other times you also get kills while two other players are engaging in a gun fight. This doesn't give you the real ability of the person.I think it all comes back to how much you have honed your skills playing FPS games. I have come across people of lower rank than myself (currently prestige 6 in MW3) and found they destroy me when running into each other face to face, most likely becuase they have many more hours played in MW2, BLOPS, etc. Like most other people have said it all depends on your game style and whether you want to be an objective based player or just run and gun all the time. I agree though that it is all too easy to become focussed on K/D ration and it really does take all the fun out of the game and I find myself raging more and more now. I am taking a New Years Resolution to take the game for what it is now, which is really the chance to have some fun every now and again. I', never going to be more than an average Joe and don't have the time to play 24/7 like all the "pros" out there.

nuttin2say

If you have a player with a "high" kdr that plays solo a lot in killed based game modes, then you probably have a player that is relatively good at the game. However, if you have a guy that mostly runs in parties and has a "high" kdr, then you most likely have an average player.

The problem you guys have with high kdr players in objective games like dom or ctf is that you are misreading a lot of them. I can and do run up high kdr's in those games. I can and do run up "high" kill counts. But it is not because I'm playing tdm in the wrong lobby.

I don't care how many kills I get. I don't care if I win my holding two flags or three. In fact, I'd prefer to just hold two flags. I'm so paranoid about holding my flags that I don't even want the opposing team near the flag. So if I can score a kill before that player gets to the flag, I most certainly will do so.

That all results in fewer flag captures but more wins. Who cares if I only get 4 caps in a game if that's the highest number of caps on my team plus my team wins?

If a flag is ripe for taking, I'm going to cap it. But I'm not going to jump on that flag while four opponents have it locked down. Not going to happen from me. I'll kill the four opponents and then try to cap it, sure.

More important than caps is the win. I want two flag caps. A and B. If I have to recap a flag I get ticked off. I don't like giving up flags. Too hard to earn them.