12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 3:26 PM by billorr RSS

Top end gaming routers?

Kerzone

For the last couple of years i've muddled along with various basic ISP spec wireless routers... some have been great whilst others not so much.

my current ISP spec router is getting me down! Its never been great at handing out IP's or handling multiple access requests, so i'm now on the hunt for a decent gaming router.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

• Re: Top end gaming routers?
    irish-sid

I have the Belkin Play Max. Got a great deal on Ebay.

After ******* around with a load of **** routers I decided to just splash out.

You'll get other great suggestions from other people no doubt, but this router is fantastic.

Any reviews you read online were from before the latest firmware, so don't let it put you off. And the "Apps" that come on it are apparently crap, but I didn't instal them anyway, I've always preferred the web interface much better.

Give it a go, you won't regret it, it's a router made for gaming. Plus the 5Ghz is great if you have a Gs2 or a newer model phone that's compatible.

Any 802.11n router will work perfectly. Some even support Gb internet, which most people don't have. Gaming doesn't suck up a lot of bandwidth like HD streaming, so you'll never have performance issues pertaining to the speed of your router.

Kerzone

Hey Shadowthief

I'd normally agree with you but when your router is not assigning IP Addresses correctly or managing the packet sorting the way its supposed to then you get lag on your line.

Everytime another device comes onto my network and even tries to route traffic between devices i end up with my internet connection speed crashing.

I used to have the Sky Internet router and it was brilliant, absolutely no down time, very little packet management issues, always assigned ip addresses correctly excellent router, but it was locked to sky. So when i changed providers i had to change routers, same line, same devices, lots of issues and drop-offs.

Tried another and a little better but still not as good as my old sky router. They've all been 802.11n routers, some with a better wireless speed than others, but all in theory good routers. But now i really want to improve my COD game and i dont want my router to be the weak link in my gaming experience.

warcry1969

I use a Linksys E4500 dual band high performance router. I run my PS3 wireless and I get the same connection speeds as if I had it wired.

I use a Netgear WNR3500 and replaced the standard firmware with DD-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com)

Both my PS3's are hardwired (cat 5e) and the primary PS3 is set up in the DMZ. Using DD-WRT's QoS features, I give first network priority for both PS3's and manually tweaked my netork MTU to eliminate packet fragmentation to squeeze out a little more speed. Works pretty well so far.

WolfRidge

Watchguard XTM21W

But this is not for your average residential user! There is a lot of setup involved but dam is it sweet! And this is their low end one! LOL

They are also a little out of the normal price range for the average person.

WolfRidge

JT235 wrote:

Watchguard XTM21W

But this is not for your average residential user! There is a lot of setup involved but dam is it sweet! And this is their low end one! LOL

They are also a little out of the normal price range for the average person.

These devices are for security? firewalls , vpn passthroughs etc, I dont think it's suitable for home use, and you're right £400!!!!

Best bet would be to get an all in one router/modem the E4200 is about £150

WolfRidge wrote:

Theses devices are for security? firewalls , vpn passthroughs etc, I dont think it's suitable for home use, and you're right £400!!!!

Best bet would be to get an all in one router/modem the E4200 is about £150

It is a firewall and has VPN applications as well which I do use. It is commercial grade but I got it for free so I am not going to complain.

It gives me real time bandwidth usage so I can see EXCATLY what bandwidth my PS3 is using while playing online. I can do total, per port or per policy real time. Policy could be a port forward policy for example. So if I have a port forward of port 3247 UDP I can see just how much traffic is going in or out on that port. And I didn't have to setup any SNMP server and get all the MIBs, this is all on the box.

I can see exactly what connections are denied so if someone is trying to probe I can see what port and what IP it is coming from real time. Gives me the option to block that IP immediately.

I can see all of the information from all connections to my PS3, all other devices as well but I am saying PS3 so people realize I can see what IP addresses I am connected to while in a room. So I can tell that Player A is in MI with a Comcast connection and so on. This is how I know I am in a foriegn room.

It has 6 ports. 3Gb and 3 10/100.

I can use any of the six as my WAN port. This is really nice.

I can have 2 ISP connections and have auto failover.

I can bridge the 3Gb ports and have all as 1 LAN. I have a Gb switch so no need to do this now.

I can have 4 DMZ ports.

There is so much flexibility.

Privx420x

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=643

I got the Dlink with gamefuel. Had it for a few years now.

You can put the gamefuel on and gaming takes top priority.

man I've heard a lot of good things about the dlink and that's got to be the only router that has gaming take priority right?  I've been looking around for a new router after buying an xbox a couple weeks ago and i found this site http://www.squidoo.com/wireless-gaming-router and I'm considering the net gear ac 1780 (I think tht's what it is) but I've heard their tech support sucks and I've had a belkin so I know I'm not getting another one of those.  Anyways any suggestions or advice besides get the dlink would be great?  Thanks. 

man I've heard a lot of good things about the dlink and that's got to be the only router that has gaming take priority right?  I've been looking around for a new router after buying an xbox a couple weeks ago and i found this site http://www.squidoo.com/wireless-gaming-router and I'm considering the net gear ac 1780 (I think tht's what it is) but I've heard their tech support sucks and I've had a belkin so I know I'm not getting another one of those.  Anyways any suggestions or advice besides get the dlink would be great?  Thanks.