42 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2012 3:41 PM by lsvlbalthierl RSS

MW3 forgetting the essence of the traditional call of duty

MW3 forgetting the essence of the traditional call of duty.

Mistakes made by developers:

1. Hit Detection: to solve the problem of lag. The developers sought a way that everyone could see just the shots no matter where.

what happens on the screen of the killer is different from what happens on the screen of the victim.

Those who played call of duty mw2, waw, black ops have noticed details like this:

Hit detection fail

Hit Detection fail 2

In real shooter game, when a target is moving the shot must be a certain distance in front of goal. For bullet striking the target.

Thats shoyld be basic, but in mw3 where you make a shot instantly hit no matter the basic rules of ballistics.

In cod 4 that never happened.

2. All weapons shoots with incredible precision: players didnt need skills for aim.

Noobs could AIM like skilled player too ...

3. Incredible fire rate: if like me you've played all call of duty
           you will know that after the mw2 on your screen while it appears that only receives one bullet on the
killer screen you recive 5 bullets....

4. Overpowered weapons: Some players know what i talk about it

5. If we count point 1+2+3+4
then:
Call of duty loses its basic skill essence of any shooter.

What is the basic  skill essence?

1- AIM -- The ability to adjust and handle the weapon in a more effective way than others

2- Accuracy -- The ability to control weapons differently

3- Dodge -- The ability to know where the enemy fire and know how to dodge his shots, very common in Cod2 and Cod4

4- Counterattack -- The ability to fight from any position or circumstance

5- Sneak --Tthe ability to know how to intercept the enemy

MW3 developers and all cod team forgetting these basic skill essence,unfortunately they only seek to innovate but not appreciate what they already got.

I do this not to criticize the game.but it is disappointing the direction that call of duty is taking.

• Re: MW3 forgetting the essence of the traditional call of duty
    Fireman0025

Not arguing your point but IW tried to make MW3 as noob friendly as possible. The more people that get the game, the more money in their pockets. Not saying its right, just saying what is.

cwatz

You bring up some points ive been talking about for a while now.  MW3 (and 2 for that matter) were designed to make life as easy for casual/new players as possible. 

A few examples

1) Revenge spawns: You all know what im talking about here. 

2) Maps: Small, clustered, very close quarters.  Makes many gun battles hipfire sprayfests, not skilled gunplay.

3) Support: KS rewards basically for just for joining a game?

4) Gunplay: Lazerbeam guns, instakill gunfights, idle sway(preventing skilled burst fire and promoting full auto spraying).

5) Deathstreaks.

The bottom line being that the reward/satisfaction of this game has been drastically reduced, while the frustration has been increased.  When the fun moments aren't nearly as fun, and the frustrating moments are more frequent than ever, you are left with a game that simply isn't as fun.

The game might appeal to a portion of the playerbase, but that playerbase is not me.  I wish we still lived in an age where everyone didn't feel entitled and afraid of a challenge. 

Improving and making those great plays that you earned is what makes games so addictive in the first place, not being handed things for free.

codchamp

maybe i suck and am a noob. But i dont see the issues here. I have been playing COD since 2 came out on xbox. I maxed prestige in all the games except black ops. I have roughly 500,000 kills in total for the franchise and my K/D has been almost identical in every COD game ( 1.40- 1.70 ). With every new title i learn the maps, weapons, spawns and all game modes. I figure out what works for me and go with it. I have no issues with hit detection or connection in this game. The spawns can be a little ****** depending on the game mode, but that is even a rare occurance......I see a lot of whinning on these forums about lag, hit detection, OP'd weapons, killstreaks and the list goes on. Well here is what i got to say. Maybe some of you in here are not as good as you think and the lag, hitmarker and spawn system is just a excuse as to why you are not good in the game. I dont blame a poor performance on the game. I blame it on myself and getting outplayed. Yes there are the WTF moments, but they have been around in every single COD game and i see no different in this one.....But do what everyone else does. Come to the COD forums to moan.

GO HOME

The developers are telling us they can see the problem and then big shots like you come on the forums complaining about our complaining. Where sick of the bullshit. Yeah I understand getting outplayed and all that but alot of peoples deaths are out of control.

Lag and hitmarkers is basicly the same thing and spawns are also a problem and they do hurt you and without a good headset its no telling where your going to get shot from. The reasons you are having good game? Lag is on your side. I just played Mw3 a few mins ago and I had back to back success with TDM games 27-5 33-2 etc the next game I cant even go even due to spawns and people seeing me before I can see them?

I dont skip across the map lag but I get it sometimes what I get is the broken killcams and go around a corner and die instantly even though on the killcam I am shooting right at him.

Yeah its me right?"

SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST STOP SAYING STUFF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.  IF THE DEVELOPERS LISTENED TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU NOTHING WOULD GET FIXED

codchamp

Nope i no nothing. But than again i probablly play more than you do. I play with a group everynight and we are all from different parts of the country. NY, PA, WA, AZ and even alaska. Different host all the time and the only lag is the usual P2P connection distance issues. I have never experienced a hit marker issue in this game....But i did in black ops so i know where people are coming from. All i am saying is i see no complaints in the game and only the BK's and try hards complaining in here. Step up your game, get good internet and stop your whinning.

cwatz

@Codchamp

The entire problem with mw3 is that there isn't ENOUGH getting outplayed.  The gap between good/bad players has been noticeably tightened (in a game that is already very accessable).

Spawns, deathstreaks, stealth bombers, instakill sprayfest combat ext.  The game is filled with stuff like this.  Its not satisfying to kill people this way, and its incredibly frustrating to get killed by it.  Things like lag are just icing on the cake.

I have a 3.15 tdm kd in BO and 2.5 in this.  Its not a matter of getting upset at being outplayed.  I enjoy that, it makes me want to improve more or get revenge.

I have a problem at how much less skill dictates this game and how much more random BS does.

codchamp

Listen i see no difference between MW2 and MW3 for skill. Hit detection and gun play is identical in both games. I do not like support killstreaks. I dont believe it should reward a bad player for not being able to step up there game. But it does not bother me. I have massive amount of time in the COD franchise and i love this game and with the exception of a couple of balancing issues, i see ZERO problems. Just My opinon.

read my mind there champ

cwatz

And you are more than free to have that opinion.  Everyone's got one.

I actually hated mw2 as well for the exact same reasons (cant decide which I dislike more).  Mindless tube spam and all that other stuff.

MW3 isn't a "bad" game exactly.  Its just very poor in comparison to other titles in the franchise for what I personally want. 

I also think that games designed in that way are better recieved as a whole.  Take BO as an example, what was the most skill based cod this generation.  BO got some heat early on for connection and hit detection, but I personally heard very few complaints about its general gameplay.

codchamp

All the COD games have been good imo. My favorite always was and will be World at war. Just like in COD 4. It was more or less simple. 3 streaks, Gun on gun game with no real issues. Yes i was a MP40 whore and loved that gun. But take away that weapon then there were ZERO complaints. COD has always been a gun on game, that has not changed. It is still the fastest and best feeling shooter out there. Streaks have gone over the top since MW2. But besides that i love the franchise as a whole. Skill gap my close in now because of support streaks and giving bad kids a chance to win a game. But i still do not see that happening. I have a 6.00 W/L in MW3 and all my losses have been legit to better players or dashboarders. No killstreak or OP'd weapon has given me a loss as of yet.

cwatz

WaW is probably my favorite too.  Its either that or black ops and for the same reasons as you.  Thats basically my point with all of this though.  Ya things like mw2&3 could still be fun titles, but they are inferior because of poor design decisions.

As far as w/l goes, my complaints aren't about that (per se).  Its not the winning or losing of a game thats dictating my enjoyment, its the general gameplay.  Regardless of outcome, im not having near as much fun as I did in other games.

For example I went and re-bought BO and WaW a few weeks ago.  Even in hacked lobbies on 2 bar ping im having significantly more fun on WaW than I have EVER had in mw3.

The game has the power to make or break you some players experience hell where others the game seems way to easy just go to someone elses house and play the game plays different on different setups all kinds of thing affect gameplay ie. connection, tv, router settings, how long ethernet cord is, how many people in your immediate area are on the internet.  Me I have a 46in Samsung, business class internet, xbox in a DMZ, hardwired everything, few people in my neighborhood even have internet so its not overloaded, great speedtests, and MW3 and BlackOps have obvious problems have played all the COD's and there is a big difference.  Players that are doing well have either learned to adapt or are unaffected or helped by the lag compensation.  Just think somebody gets compensated someone gets lagged period

The truth is Call of duty will never be the same, the company knows how to get money and they will continue to do what they are doing, COD 4 the singleplayer was the only one that felt like you were in the military. all other CODs are just characters fighting. COD 4 was the best and COD will always just be a noob friendly type of game, i enjoy COD but i also get my gang together and play battlefield. nothing in battlefield 3 pisses you off, nothing is overpowered, dedicated servers, bullets are actually objects in the game, and you can still run and gun but for the most part the game takes some skill. noobs can play it, hop in a tank and have fun but its so different than what COD has become, i say give it a chance and tell a friend or 2 to get it because it's a lot of fun to play with friends. seriously christmas is coming get it then, a new map pack is out soon so it'll be an awesome game to get.

oh yeah and WAW campain was good but multiplayer wasnt the best. lamer version of COD 4

in every way, I would like to request company call of duty to continue caring for the cod4 multiplayer because I'm going back to cod 4, the success of the Company was cod 4, and I explained the points at the beginning of that\

Like i said:

I do this not to criticize the game.but it is disappointing the direction that call of duty is taking.

Players who have followed the series all this time know what I mean, the MW2 or MW3 are made for everyone to play well and not to have good players.

The easiest way to explain my point is to ask
    why after cod4 cod company have never released a public beta?

because they know they would lose customers.....

Another point:

remove the stoping power was not a solution, because now it seems that all guns have stopping power

codchamp

You make no sense. What does a beta have to do with anything? Betas are there for quality control. Infinity ward and treyarch felt they had it covered in house for that...As for Stopping power huh? Stopping power was in the game to counter juggy. No juggy so no SP. That was a move in the right direction. There was no SP in Blops as well you know. COD is not a continuation every year. Just in name. Treyarch and Infinity ward have gone in different directions on how they see COD. So comparing black ops to MW3 should not be. It is what you prefer. I liked them all. But prefer the MW series due to its much faster pace.

cwatz

@soooo

Yes cod has always been very accessable and user friendly.  Thats why its absurd they have tried to make it even more casual friendly.

codchamp....  ur clearly just a CoD fanboy, either that or ur in complete denial, or playing on PC!!  You can't tell me that you're not tired of running around a corner only to be shot what you feel is once, only to see your killcam and the enemy is shooting you 4-6 time before you even hit the corner and when the last bullet hits, it's behind you, then you hit the corner, blood spats 4 steps back from where you thought you were (already around the corner), and you die.  no......that's not a problem.....  it's just the "Corner Turning Bullet Perk"  is that what ur telling me?

codchamp

Nope i play on xbox and i am not having these issues at all. The only things that have really pissed me off in MW had been those akimbo G's and the occasional bad spawn in domination.....But i know where you are coming from. I had issues that you described in black ops with bad hit detection and laggy game play. I have not had those issues in this game. MW3 for connection feels exactly the way it did in MW2, waw and COD4.

your on the good side of lag compensation i dont suffer from it either cause my connection is garbage and i dont ever host but im not going to pretend like its not a issue or that other people are not being affected by it, dont be a dumbass codchamp

codchamp wrote:

I have not had those issues in this game. MW3 for connection feels exactly the way it did in MW2, waw and COD4.

That's  because your Internet line quality (ping) is probably shithouse giving you the advantage in the lag compensation stakes. I too have had a 1.5> kd ratio across all cod titles but in MW3 im only at 1.10 due to me having the best internet you can get in Australia.

well codchamp, you sir are of the lucky few I suppose.

codchamp

Maybe?? But i have invested in having my best setup that i can. Verizon fios ( that is supposed to be horrible for the COD series ). I have the right ports open on my modem, I play with the best type of TV that is good for MP gaming ( plasma ), I use the best quality cables and wiring, I make sure always that my xbox is not being crunched with to much info and frequently clear the cache and system from any old info, I make sure that my net connection is running optimal without to much other devices working etc etc. In other words i have done all that is possible on my end to make sure i have a good connection for my super try hard pants...So far it is working.

@codchamp: ok ok you have all your playing system full nerded nice!

But there is not the point, you are only arguing without supporting what you say, go to sites such as GameStop, Amazon and check what score they give the players the game of MW3

codchamp wrote:

MW3 for connection feels exactly the way it did in MW2, waw and COD4.

But what could you say if u dont know how to differentiate game connection between mw2 cod 4 maybe you always play like host

lostinplace

I have played them all since cod 1 and mw2 is the only oneI dislike with a passion!!!  Andtheonly one i returned  back to gamestop!

B

U         

M    

P

!!

DaRyuujin

I agree fully, in mw2 many times i was able to fully spin around and place a well aimed burst of my m16 and either throw their aim off enough for a second shot or kill them with the first, in this game that just does NOT happen unless its like a 5 yr old who is clueless on playing and utterly sucks

hip fire is WAY more accurate in this game and add that to crazy range and fire rate and its too easy to hold a trigger and ****, hell even the maps cater mostly to CQC makeing the hipfire even more effective and what mid range DOES occur is still easily dominatiable with akimbo FMG's

and codchamp you must be freggin CRAZY about hi detection I myself have had many kills and even final killcams and said "there is NO way i should of got that kill" especially with snipers getting a one shot kill 1 foot off of his shoulder

and even IF you have the so called best setup you can thats still bulshit on Mw3's part because i should be able to use the SAME set up i had in mw2 that i RARELY had problems with and have it the same way with mw

all in all in my eyes anyways MW2 made it user friendly but still skilled players were able to pull out of most situations against less skilled players, user friendlyness should NEVER give less skilled players a large advantage over a very skilled player that will cause them to come out on top as much as they do

gameruk1991

I've really enjoyed every Call of Duty game but since Black Ops it's never been the same. I remember Call of Duty 4 being the best FPS game. The game wasn't perfect but it was amazing. You could have lots of fun.
    On MW3 I actually have fun from time to time but things could of been a lot different. All the skill has gone. Every weapon is easy to use (You can just pick it up and it feels like every other gun), people just sit in set spots around the maps and rarely move more than a few feet, the hit detection is very off balance for example: From my view I put at least 20 shots into the enemy player and he runs away or kills me in what seems 5 - 10 shots. From his view I probably don't even shoot half as much as I actually did resulting in him killing me. I think most of us veteran players just want Call of Duty 4 back really. The awesome feel to the game. The skill needed. The fun.

If they patch half of the things I have mentioned then MW3 would be a better game than it already is. I mean it is a good game if you play with friends. I do enjoy it from time to time but it's just not got the same feel as Call of Duty 4 or even MW2 for that matter. Please IW, fix this. Please the community.

Thank you.

R.I.P. CoD 4.
    You will be missed.

I'm gonna go play CoD4 Right now! 

gallp13

Very true but here's why those days are gone for commercial fps.

Market for real shooters 2-4 million globally

Market for MW3.             30 million globally

You may be able to get a real shooter from Indy devs as they see 2 mill units as great market.

CoD as MW3 is the direction of the future. Its all market driven. As one respondent wrote it appeals to the noobs. And hey thats ok MW3 is designed to have broad appeal. Maybe they should add some of the features you suggest for elite player lobbies.

I belive that if they still want to get more people to start playing mw so that they can make more money that they should instead making the game so that it takes no skill; make it so that if you are someone who has played cod play with other people who dont want those piggy back features in the game to help them out and then other people who are newer to cod can play with them seperatly instead of ruining a great franchise. This game used to be amazing and people knew what skill actually was now skill is just if you can sit in the corner and boost or sit and the corner with your easy kill guns and camp.

I belive that if they still want to get more people to start playing mw so that they can make more money that they should instead making the game so that it takes no skill; make it so that if you are someone who has played cod play with other people who dont want those piggy back features in the game to help them out and then other people who are newer to cod can play with them seperatly instead of ruining a great franchise. This game used to be amazing and people knew what skill actually was now skill is just if you can sit in the corner and boost or sit and the corner with your easy kill guns and camp.

!!!!

P

M

U

B

BUMP!!!!!

Mw3:

Noob Aim where all player could aim like a pro gamer ...

Noob Hit detection where all players could kill, i prefer old style shots with lag, with that i could know where i need to hit...

Noob weapons: All weapons have an incredible rate of fire... 

In Cod 4 you couldnt kill a player as fast like mw3...

About skills:

Cod 4>> you need 1 player for make a difference in a team

Cod 6>> you need atleast 3-4 players for make a difference in a team

Cod 8>> You need atleast 5-6 players for make difference in a team

What could happen in cod 9+  All players should play same...

lsvlbalthierl wrote:

In real shooter game, when a target is moving the shot must be a certain distance in front of goal. For bullet striking the target.

Thats shoyld be basic, but in mw3 where you make a shot instantly hit no matter the basic rules of ballistics.

In cod 4 that never happened.

COD has always used hitscans. Where the bullet is always instantly on target. Even in COD 4 where you say that never happened. It happened, every bullet fired from a gun into someone was instant.

So no on the bullet time to target or any kind of resemblance to real ballistics in COD. That is fundamentally not COD.

Also the insane rate of fire comment is nothing to do with RoF. Sounds like lag.

As for the first hit detection video that's theater mode for you. People have been saying since BLOP's theater mode that its not a true representation of what happened exactly in the match your watching, just like kill-cams not showing the whole story sometimes.

As for the precision aim, the video you show has some guy running around FFA going flawless? What's that have to do with anything? Are you saying he's a noob that has pro aim because of MW3 lack of recoil? The guy has 36 hours played with 31 of those in FFA. He is no noob of FFA and at that I've seen people and others say their pro and I've seen MLG's who are actual professional gamers spray people down with no regards to aim. So what does that matter? That's somehow not the essence of COD4?

I think its been too long since you have played COD 4. I play it still today and Ill tell you that the M16, M4, AK47, and G36c all have similar if not the same recoil as MW3 counter parts minus the kick proficiency.

Also COD 4 had its OP weapons. M16 with SP was one burst at all ranges, the M40 with an ACOG was OHK to any part of the body. The P90 had the biggest magazine of all SMG's with a high RoF and when equipped made you have the effects of extreme conditioning that was stackable with extreme conditioning to make you able to sprint continuously as if having 2x the amount of extreme conditioning.

COD lost the COD 4 essence with all the extra stuff like mass kill streaks, pro version perks, multiple attachments. COD4's essence was it was basic. It didn't have the fluff COD has now.

In cod 4 i got 2.3 k/d ratio

In cod 6 i got 1.8k/d ratio

In cod 8 i got 1.5k/d ratio

In all cod games i got in my accuracy around 25%

Im cod fan and player from CoD 2 

U could say anything about professional gamers, but ask they if really im wrong in my points.

Cod devs need go back to basic style

Could you tell me what game of Call of Duty gave the franchise success?

>>> COD 2 and COD 4 <<<

Many players recommend call of duty for these games.

For next answers please check users review score:

http://www.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/platform/xbox360

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/91051?loc=n owshipping_row3_col3

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/product-reviews/B00503E8 S2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Just read Users Score...

and now:

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/65504

http://www.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/platform/pc?tag=result;tit le;0

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/product-reviews/B0016B28 Y8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1