22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2012 10:58 AM by gr8fuldead26 RSS

HELP ME WITH LAG!

I can barely even play MW3 anymore with all the lag. I've restarted my PS3 multiple times, unplugged it and replugged it, restarted my modem, turned off all of my internet using objects in my house and I still can't join a game! I'm constantly only getting games up to <150 ping making the lag unbearable. My connection is 6mbs and 100% signal strength. This just all of a sudden started a few days ago and I can't seem to fix it. I don't think it's the patch either because I was running fine for a few days after the patch. PLEASE HELP! Also I've tried the turning off THEATER MODE fix. Doesn't work.

From something 90ms ping away my internet speed from Speedtest.net:

Download: 3.00mbps

Upload: 0.60mbps

• Re: HELP ME WITH LAG!
    tomtom559

the lag is pretty bad right now ive had lag every game about half way through

triiviium-

What are yalls download and upload speeds?

I also have 6mb, I stop the match search if it goes to <100 and start it over. works for me

vims1990

Could you please state where you're from?

I hear that players who live in low MW3 population territories struggle to find lobbies due to a more stricter matchmaking system.

If you do, this may answer your question to why you're struggling to find lobbies:

For those following this topic, we are actively working on the issue affecting matchmaking for players in low MW3 population territories. Thank you all for your patience while we work on this. We are acutely aware of the frustration this must be causing.

http://www.callofduty.com/thread/100584619?start=495&tstart=0

vims1990

Ok, then it could be router or connection issue:

1) What is your NAT Type? /Are your ports forward?

2) Have you tried a wired connection rather than wireless?

Have you tried older COD games? MW2? Black Ops?

I've been playing since COD4 and I had no problems with those games. My ports are forward and I have a wireless connection on my 360 and it's running fine. My NAT type is Type 2.

BUMP

I'm afraid to say that it sounds like your connection is causing this.

I have a 25-30mbps speed and I am STILL getting lag, even though I host about 60% of the matches that I'm in! 

You also need to remeber that your upload speed will be in effect too, as thats dialup speed(ish) you'll end up getting a higher ping.

go to www.pingtest.net to see the quality of your connetion and speedtest.net to check the true speed.

Then look at who has Fibre optic broadband in your area!

Go change you internet priovider (try find out whos the best in you aerea) to start with and second go buy yourself a new router/modem but make sure that its for gaming i changed my router/modem about a month ago and i opened my nat and i seem to be host alot of the i only lag if im in a room full of guys/girls from another country i hope this helped.

Bettis123

Tonight ive had a terrible problem with this lag, people teleport around me and my shots do not register, does not matter what gun i use, same issue. I did set port forwarding and opened my nat type, i got a 49 ms ping, the closest server to me is 130 miles. I got a decent connection but these hosts and servers are horrible for me.

Badkat907

I get lag alot and I am on 25Mbps line, consistant. Grade "A" ping test, basically......I have a great connection. I still get lag, ppl with better connections than this get lag, the game lags.....ALOT!

To cure the lag problem in MW3 do this: Eject MW3 game disc. Insert a movie. Press "x" on your controller. Lag problem fixed

augkash

i didnt have any problem with lag untill this last patch and every game name its really bad

tedge

I always lag, but only playing MW3.

Here are some of my results. All of this was from my desktop which is wireless and across the house. I have my PS3 hardwired to the interwebs in my living room. My NAT type is open.

Atlanta (~100 miles)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/56453097.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1761290204.png

Dallas (~800 miles)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/56453161.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1761286326.png

San Francisco (~2200 miles)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/56453196.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1761287577.png

AR76

If you are running wirelss and experiencing high jitter, you should check for interference on your network.  Get on a pc that has a wireless connection, obtain a program that detects wireless networks broadcasting in your area (one is not coming to mind) and see if any/how many are broadcasting on the same channel as you.  Network interference won't manifest so much as signal strength, but more as sustainable data transmission which seems to be indicated by your jitter levels.

Also, remember that wireless devices can interfere if they run on the same spectrum as your wireless networking gear (i.e. microwaves, cordless phones, wireless mice and keyboards, etc.).Finally, keep in mind that wireless networking is half-duplex across the board which means that your router is either transmitting or receiving to one client at a time.  You might want to try playing with all other wireless networking devices turned off as well to see if that improves your situation.

Hope this helps-

tedge

I'm guessing you are talking to the OP and not me?

As for the program you are talking about, there's a free app on the Andriod Market called Wifi Analyzer that'll tell you your signal strength and channels of nearby connections plus their strength.

I've been having the same problems ever since the new patch. Every game I join I'm stuck on the loading screen saying Waiting for Other Players... or Setting Up Game... then I spawn in 10-15 seconds into the game. Once the loading screen took so long I actually got kicked for inactivity while I was on the loading screen. WTF????

Any other game shows I have a 4-bar connection, and then when the game actually starts I spawn in about 10 seconds after the game starts (especially aggravating in S&D), and the whole gameplay is choppy as hell.

I think the new patch ruined everything.

If your TV has Built in wifi it can interfer with the wifi on your ps3, I know it did for me, as soon as I got my new TV I had a bit of trouble but nothing like yours. But moving you Ps3 a little ways away it might work

This is the laggiest game for me too.  Besides COD4.  This game is WAY laggier than black ops.