46 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2011 3:04 PM by solcenva RSS

So the patch made lag comp worse, GOOD JOB !

Honestly, this lag compansation and the bullshit tht comes with it has to be the most pathetic thing IW have ever done (which is saying something to say they are the ones that made the pile of **** MW2). Really, the host gets completely ****** while everyone else randomly gets an advantage / disadvantage from time to time. Now they have tried to "fix" that, they have only made it worse. I have a 2.4 k/d and a 16.0 w/l, there is rarely a game I don't get atleast a 2 k/d, oh and I get host constantly too, so the compensation was even worse for me, but ever since this so called "fix" I have been dying constantly due to lag compensation, it is worse than ever, why the **** these morons thought it would be a good idea to mess around with a perfect thing in the first place is beyond me, my guess is that with all the extra **** they have added and the stat tracking that nobody gives a **** about, they have caused the game to lag so much that they needed to increase lag comp, either way, it needs to be fixed.

• Re: So the patch made lag comp worse, GOOD JOB !

Since I've updated I've played a little more than an hour and my games have been pretty smooth.  I've also hosted almost every match I've played and haven't noticed myself at any kind of disadvantage where as pre patch I clearly was.  What ms ping matches is matchmaking putting you into?

Well all but 1 I have been on 4 bar, so has everyone in the game. Like I said, I get host alot, and I have 50mb wired, virgin media internet, so there shouldn't be any lag, but yet there is constant bullshit happening, always kids just walking around a corner and I instantly die with no time to react.

papaxs

Bandwidth means nothing in online games, what is your ping and upload speed?  Have you done any quality line checks?  Go to DSL reports for testing apps.

My connection has been optimize for gaming and after the last patch tu6, the game has been almost unplayable.  I have yet to play on the new patch but I will see how it goes.

Give it a few hours since the patch just went live and see how it goes.

thebiindsniper

It's been smooth for me (mostly).  Since I have an HD PVR, I "turn off theater recording" so it can help with the connections.

Here's another tip if you didn't know.  Make sure you have an "Open" NAT type.  And when you search for matches, make sure you don't go above <50 pings.  Example, if you see "<75 Pings" Pop up, restart your search.

These might be tips you are already aware of, but you'd be surprised how many don't consider them.  And a lot of people don't consider them either, because they think Strict NAT types and tin can modems are the hot sellers.  That's why you have lag. 

If everybody in the country had internet speeds that were above standards, and worked perfectly, P2P would have no problems.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

http://www.youtube.com/ruggedsavior

Yep, i have theater turned off and the ping makes no difference since I get host. If it is other people lagging then they shouldn't be able to kill me at all. It would better if they just went back to how it was on cod - mw2, the host got a slight advantage but people played like that for years and didn't care, now for MW3 they just ruined everything. To be honest, I probably won't play cod again untill they either fix it or the next cod is released. Which i can't wait for since treyarch is by far the better developer, we won't have to put up with such idioitc crap that even a penguin could of fixed before release.

I would definitly listen to thebiindsniper here.  I aslo only play if it's at <50 ping, and if your not worried about recording your games in theater turn it off and I believe you'll see a difference.

Perhaps they didn't 'help' those of us who have been battling this lag problem but they 'hurt' those of you who haven't. 

Maybe you have been benefiting all along and now you are getting to play like the rest of us have been playing since the beginning. Welcome to my world! 

brandaman

Mine has been perfect. Ever think your connection actually sucks, so now you're not getting the benefit of lag compensation, you claim to have a problem?

I LIKE THIS.

inb4peoplepostthierspeedtestresults

Did someone say post their speed test results?  Sure i'll brag about mine, thanks for asking

http://speedtest.net/result/1613882849.png

On topic though....I recently switched to the mega-awesome comcast package coming from ATT U-Verse.  I never played a <50ms ping game on uverse due to the imposed latency with interlacing.  I had a terrible gaming experience on uverse.

On comcast, sub 50ms games... all...day...long.  I host a lot (i think, hard to tell), but don't generally run into big problems with lag comp now.  Every once and awhile I will notice my game is just completely off.  I'll either deal with it or if it's real bad I'll quit out to the lobby and try again.

Are you retarded? How the **** does my internet suck if I host ground war with everyone on 4 bar? Do you even know anything about COD ? Do you not realise that not only is my internet perfect, but the host gets a DISADVANTAGE because of this crap.

Just go to speedtest.net click test and post your results on here, then maybe we can find a solution.

Sorry, but the honor system doesn't work on the internet.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1652488764.png

There, although those relusts make no difference, ping is more important.

maccabi

uG I FLAME wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1652488764.png

There, although those relusts make no difference, ping is more important.

while usuaully i would say speedtests are a complete waste of time in this case they arent

i can tell you exactly what your problem is if there is actually one..you're on virgin nothing to do with the game at all..which is obvious due to your l33t stats and you are getting screwed when you host.

papaxs

say what?

What is wrong with virgin? Oh and a few of my freinds are noticing the same thing, it's either worse or the same for them and they don't get host at all, some are on VM others on BT, so it's not just me that has noticed this.

And to anyone that thinks I used to have an advantage, you fail to understand that i was host, and the lag comp put me at a disadvantage no matter what, so no, i haven't gone from an advantage to normal gameplay.

maccabi

uG I FLAME wrote:

What is wrong with virgin? Oh and a few of my freinds are noticing the same thing, it's either worse or the same for them and they don't get host at all, some are on VM others on BT, so it's not just me that has noticed this.

geez where to start..

erm they use the worst traffic management out of any uk isp, they have a known and long running issue with xbl, they nerf UDP packets to stop torrents eating up their bandwidth (game uses udp packets), they have seriously high contention ratios, they share cables between households, dude just go on their own forums and type in xbl you'll see

uG I FLAME wrote:

And to anyone that thinks I used to have an advantage, you fail to understand that i was host, and the lag comp put me at a disadvantage no matter what, so no, i haven't gone from an advantage to normal gameplay.

you sure cos loads of people seem to be saying the complete opposite of you since the patch, plus speedtests are pointless they test ping using tcp/ip not udp and do not account for the fact game traffic goes thru xbl or as in your case an isp nerfs udp routing.

If that is the case then i wouldn't be given host constantly and people wouldn't be on 4 bar. And yes I am sure about that, because it's a known fact that the game puts the host at a disadvantage, because it is over compensating for your "advntage" which is so small that nobody complained about it for years.

maccabi

uG I FLAME wrote:

If that is the case then i wouldn't be given host constantly and people wouldn't be on 4 bar. And yes I am sure about that, because it's a known fact that the game puts the host at a disadvantage, because it is over compensating for your "advntage" which is so small that nobody complained about it for years.

no you get host because matchmaking uns a series of tests and whoever has the best overal upload bandwidth and the majority of players ping lowest to gets host,

what it does NOT do is test line quality which is where you are obviously failing once selected as host.

its also a known fact that host has an advantage just depends what thread you read.

No, host DID get an advantage in every cod exept MW3, because the lag compensation was turned up to try and stop the host from having an advantage, this also effects other people in the game, just not as much. And like I said, my freinds have noticed the same problem. And again, if the packets were a problem then people would not have a perfect connection in my game, derp, infact, the game would just migrate host. You don't know very much about networking do you? Or xbl and p2p games?

brandaman

From what I'm hearing, he knows a lot more about networking than you do. All you seem to do is call people retarded.

I don't know what's going on with you, because I rarely have a problem.

I have 50mbps down, 4-5mbps up, and about 20 ping. I had no issues.

Recently, Virgin has been screwing me over and my connection is failing during peak times. I get around 30mbps and 4mbps up still, but my ping goes up to around 70-80ms. I was getting a lot of packet loss but that seems to have subsided.

So yeah, maybe you're just making it up.

Why would I waste time making this up? And no, he doesn't know more about it than me, not when he doesn't understand that if packet loss was a problem, people would lag in may games, I would be at an advantage IF it didn't just migrate host, but like I said, everyone is on green bar = no packet loss. I would see much bigger problems than 1-2 people being able to kill me instantly.

maccabi

uG I FLAME wrote:

Why would I waste time making this up? And no, he doesn't know more about it than me, not when he doesn't understand that if packet loss was a problem, people would lag in may games, I would be at an advantage IF it didn't just migrate host, but like I said, everyone is on green bar = no packet loss. I would see much bigger problems than 1-2 people being able to kill me instantly.

green bar = a ping of 100ms or less it does NOT = line quality.

reloads gun points hands it back then realises you ran out of feet

little protip for you though sparky, i really wouldn't keep on the theme that i dont know what i'm talking about as someone is going to end up looking like they got facepalmed by humpty dumpty

Actually, retard, inorder for people to play the game, they are constantly sending packets to the host, where they are picked up and sent out to every other player, so if packet loss is a problem, everyone would lag. Honestly, i give up, every time I ask a question on this site, I get retards like you who think reading wikipedia and pretending to udnerstand what any of it means makes them an expert. but let me guess, today instead of playing doctor you're playing network analyst ?

papaxs

Wow man, no need to start calling peeople names especially mac, a simple search would show how he has helped the COD community out and HE KNOWS what HE IS TALKING ABOUT.

maccabi

uG I FLAME wrote:

Actually, retard, inorder for people to play the game, they are constantly sending packets to the host, where they are picked up and sent out to every other player, so if packet loss is a problem, everyone would lag. Honestly, i give up, every time I ask a question on this site, I get retards like you who think reading wikipedia and pretending to udnerstand what any of it means makes them an expert. but let me guess, today instead of playing doctor you're playing network analyst ?

as much as correcting you just makes you look even more of a cretin i get no pleasure from it and am only doing it as you keep posting factually incorrect infomation and people might read it and end up in the same pit of absurdity as you

packet loss does NOT = lag , two totally seperate things

the game does NOT work via players sending packets that then get sent via the host as some sort of exchange server , they send packets to update the host the host then takes all those updates and sends out a new update based on all the players last update (amoung other things)

i was in a vets today closet i got to playing dostors but seriously a freaking network analyst (no offence to network analysts as you guys do a great job but thats far beneath my pay grade as a vocation nowadays)

but hey feel free to continue to insult me needlessly when im trying to edukate your sorry intractable self. but forewarning i wouldnt keep on cos i assure you one of us is going to look really silly in a mo

maccabi

uG I FLAME wrote:

You don't know very much about networking do you? Or xbl and  games that run on listen servers?

*corrected it for you

reloads gun hands back and points to your other foot.

thebiindsniper

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1652487899.png

I did a speed test for my "Wireless" (while someone else was using it too), and it's running 19 pings, download of 10.82, with an upload of 5.57 (MBPS). 

With wired (which I use), it's a lot faster.  I hear that it's really your PING and UPLOAD speeds you need to worry about.  I think the minimum speeds for optimal effeciency, is 1MB for uploads, but I'm not too sure.

But as I said, some people use toasters to get internet, so their pings and uploads are like 200+ms, and 100kb.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

http://www.youtube.com/ruggedsavior

The SpeedTest results are irrelevant. That bandwidth is not all used, and that is not your ping to the host and other players.

Yes I know, but I get host constantly so ping to other players is irrelivant, if lag comp was fixed I would either be on a level playing field or have an advantage over them, however the same bullshit is happening as before the patch, people come round corners and instantly kill me with no reaction time, or I will go around a corner and die because on their screen i was still infront of them, this just shouldn't happen under any circumstances in a p2p game, as host.

My friend can smoothly host with 2.5/1Mbps, and if we are all nearby, there will be no delay. Therefore, when you come on here and rage that you're at a disadvantage with your 25/25 connection, you should know a very small percentage of that bandwidth is actually needed and everyone's pings matters so much more.

You fail to understand that bandwidth means NOTHING, ul and dl spead means NOTHING aslong as you have atleast a 2mps dl and a 1 ul, you can host a game just fine, but that doesn't change the fact that you get (well, should) an advantage for being host, just because all other players have to connect through you. IW tried to fix this by increasing the lag comp, which was overdone and caused the host to have a disadvantage. The speed of your internet doesn't change thatl.

Why are you telling me this? I'm aware. I thought my post made that clear.

mcdonamw

uG I FLAME wrote:

You fail to understand that bandwidth means NOTHING, ul and dl spead means NOTHING aslong as you have atleast a 2mps dl and a 1 ul, you can host a game just fine,

Small clarification.  You should have at least 2mbps up/1mbps down available.  You can have a 25 u/d and not have 2/1 free if you're completely saturating your line with torrents, etc.  Ultimately you are correct sir that latency is key, not bandwidth (for most people).

RE: speed tests.

These mean squat.  When you run a speed test, that only checks the speed between your house and the speed test server.  Your connection to another Xbox user/server could go a completely different path over the internet which could be severely hindered by any given number of hops due to them having latency issues.

RE: Getting host (all the time)

How are you people even verifying this?  You having 4 bars in the game is not the most accurate indicator.  As far as I know, the only way you know you're host is if you leave (via dashboard) the game and you receive hate messages from everyone for ending their game.  I'm sure all of you claiming to be host are not doing this every game to verify you're host for the sake of arguing in a forum.

Note: I'm speaking of normal users, not Network Gurus that run their Xbox through high end network gear/PCs so they can identify/track the number of IP addresses connected to their system on Xbox related ports at any given point in time.

Message was edited by: mcdonamw

papaxs

Ugiflame,

After reading these posts I think your ISP is at fault and you were benefitting from the lag comp before, now you are playing on the same field as the rest of us.

I will have to get some games in but I don't see any lag then you may need a new ISP or setup on your end.

Those whose connections this patch was meant to fix, have fixed, the playing field has been levelled as it should be.

Sorry you can no longer destroy based on your crappy internet, everything is as it should be.

Really? So after reading the OP or any of my other posts, you still fail to understand that I get host constantly, and the lag comp was made to stop me from getting an advantage for being host and therefore put me at a disadvantage. Really, I would love to know why people reply when they don't even know what lag compensation is or how it was changed in MW3.

All I care about is that the MAJORITY of people i have spoken to who had been badly hit by lag comp are now feeling it alot less, inlcuding myself, and that to me seems like a win.

If you are being put at a disadvantage still then thats you ISP whos to blame, sounds like your internet is one of those ones that has a high speed, thus makes you host constantly but then can't take the strain and your ISP then limits your bandwidth, which would now affect you more due to the lag comp being reduced, Virgin Media is well known for this.

Oh and BTW, I most likely know more than you about these things, so please don't try to belittle me.

uG I FLAME, i knew I rememberd your name. Your the same person that was ranting about the support kill streaks.

If 95% of the people say it is better after the patch, the patch works. Atleast that is how IW will look at it, as will 95% of the people.

If all your friends have the same problem, assuming you all live in the same area, it is prob something with your connection. Even if you all have different providers, you prob run on the same wires.

yup soooo much bullshit going down tonight some times i wish i didnt have 13ping and 1.50mb upload.........

mcdonamw

mrfruitcake23 wrote:

yup soooo much bullshit going down tonight some times i wish i didnt have 13ping and 1.50mb upload.........

You people are ridiculous.  13 ping?  TO WHAT?  Your ISP?  That means nothing when you are connected to a guy across the country and you're going through 10+ hops across the internet to get there.  The roundtrip ping to the person you're connected to is what matters, and that is not something you can (easily) get (without running your xbox through an elaborate network solution so you can track which IP you're connecting to and then run ping tests against it in real time while playing).

papaxs

So to the people who have a quality ISP, how is the new patch working? Is lag better or worse?

solcenva

I first experienced 1-1 combat lag (appearing to shoot first, but still dieing) in BoPS. I spent a lot of time and money attempting to fix the issue. I originally was on Virgin cable, then added a second line with BT (UK based player). Unfortunetly neither ISP improved my game.

I assumed when MW3 was released I would finally see an improvement, but sadly no change.

Now TU7 has been released. I have less than .70 KD in Both BoPS and MW3, so wasn't looking to suddendly be getting 11 point kill steaks every game, but did hope to see some improvement.

Well so far,  the game feels better. I even managed to get a predator missle.

Obviously some players, especially those who killed me, even when I assumed I shot first, will suddendly see their game degrade, but I can only hope IW have managed to find some middle ground where we both come out equal instead of having an advantage no matter how small over each other.