36 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2011 12:14 AM by sovietsong RSS

Is there more to this "lag compensation" then meets the eye.

playerone2

Remember back when you lost at something, you just lost and were disappointed.

Nowadays when a kids team loses a beaseball game they get to go to the pizza party too.

And even the worst team in the league gets a participation trophy.

Kid comes home like "look dad i got a trophy Yayyyy". Dads like "for what you lost". Kids like (flings justin bieber hair to the side) sadface.(he actually says the word sadface).

Why is america becoming more like that? Its because thats more profitable. more moms will pay for their kids join the league, if they know they are going to at least get a trophy at the end.

Thats how i feel this game has become. The majority of people that play this game arent everyday players and they definitely arent that good at it.

Id like to think im above average my k/d on blops was around 2.5 with no camping (i dont have the patience). but with this game i really cant tell. my k/d is barely higher then people who suck and barely lower than people who i know are way better than me. Have you had a look at the K/D ratio of the people on your friendslist. 1.3ish right? even the people that you know are horrible at this game. the only people that are near 2.0 are the people that i know camp. they play for kd.

How do we know this has only to do with the connections. The same player is rarely on the top more than once in a row.

now i know thats not right you dont just loose skill in the same lobby, same host, same teammates same connection.

If everybody wins, everybody will buy more games and so on and so fourth.

Just Sayin.

• Re: Is there more to this "lag compensation" then meets the eye.
    IEliteWalker

Interesting.....

I think they buffed up Lag Compensation because Activision wanted a new way to cater to the casual gamers, just like the ARs had zero recoil in MW2, they think that if casuals cant play well they wont play at all.

This game was designed to keep down the hardcore gamers, and reward the ignorant casual gamer types that want an easy game.

good point... its the way of the world now... were all equal and special!!

lol... when the **** did we all become equal? you shouldnt ridicule someone because they lose but you shouldnt treat them like they won... or why ever work hard for something?

the only reason i ever worked my ass off was because of a lifetime of realizing.... losing sucks... winning is more fun.. lol... take that away and everything goes to ****.

and yeah i feel you about this game too.... 20-0, 25-2, 0-6, 4-14, 0-3, 0-4, 1-6, 18-1 ...... etc

all averages 1.4 k:d.... i'd love to even have a steady 1.4 game! lol.. its either i cant lose or i cant win...

This game was designed to keep down the hardcore gamers, and reward the ignorant casual gamer types that want an easy game.

every cod game to date has been user friendly (easy) idk wtf your talking about...

playerone2

This game is not easy for people that are good at it.

For me the scores are always something like 60-8 or something rediculous followed by 10 games or so of having to try twice as hard to break even or barely go positive.

that and all the assault killstreaks are about useless. Unless your playing against a whole team of idiots they only get a couple kills each.

Even the people who arent good start out with blind eye and the ability to easily get an emp and a sam turret within a minute or two.

I cant wait until someone makes a game almost exactly like this but less mainstream.

Im just trying to think about it through the eyes of a billion $ corporation. sociopaths dont see people as people, they see them as opportunities.

I dont think its completely true. but theres a part of me that cant help but think theres something fishy going on, you know.

playerone2

Ok started a new account. first game had a 5.0 k/d ratio. and not to my surprise the very next game was one of the worst ones to date. camping hard for the next 5 or 6  games to keep my k/d as high as possible landed my k/d guess where, 1.4---  hmmmmmmmm.

No matter how i play its always the same ****. 1 or 2 good games followed by 10 bad games.

no consistent winners just a bunch of ok players with the occasional lottery winner..

Don't rely on your killstreaks for kills.  Run care package, predator, and precision airstrike.  There is nothing to shoot down unless you get something in the CP.  usually though you get another predator.

Just because you can't consistently do well doesn't mean that it's the games fault.

I definitely agree with you, OP. This game is very hard to do consistently well in. You can have a good game, where you feel like the connection is pretty good, then the very next game, everything goes to pot.

I had a 2.6 K/D in Black Ops, but only a 1.6 K/D in this game. I've had many guns fights, where I feel like I've lost them unfairly.

gallp13

ROFLMFAO

Great post mate!

Whenever i pull host i just quit, hell, most of the time i just quit. Being -literally- 1 second behind everyone else is ******* bullshit. I've gone back into theater many a time and watched gameplays, say i hear someone coming and i prone to get the jump on them. I get killed before i see the person coming down into the area, on my screen they weren't there, on theirs, they watched me prone. Wtf is that? Seriously fed up with this game, after 25k kills, 4th, nearly 5th prestige, i've seen enough of this.

Actually average K/D ratio of the people on my friends list that I play with is nowhere near 1.3

K/d ratio of people on my friends list that I play w/,  including me.

2.29, 2.14, 1.36, 3.17, 2.60, 3.27, 2.07, .91, 2.11, 2.65, 1.24, 1.93

The same people are usually top of the leaderboard.

i don't see any of the things you're talking about in this thread while I'm playing.

I suffer from lag comp in this game but it does not stop me from playing well i always finish in the top 3 & 90% of the time i am positive. i have raised my original K/D by 0.26 in a week of play. i dont camp either,  i think your post is complete rubbish the actual problem with gamers today is that they always want someone to blame its never there fault. always someone else's fault instead,

its the lets blame everybody but myself culture

playerone2

hobowi7hashotgun wrote:

I suffer from lag comp in this game but it does not stop me from playing well i always finish in the top 3 & 90% of the time i am positive. i have raised my original K/D by 0.26 in a week of play. i dont camp either,  i think your post is complete rubbish the actual problem with gamers today is that they always want someone to blame its never there fault. always someone else's fault instead,

its the lets blame everybody but myself culture

The fact you say rubbish makes me believe your overseas. so you probably have high pings. tard.

The lowest k/d from the kids I play with is over 1.5 so I don't get it? And everyone else including me is over 2. Also we're not a team of campers, I run and gun almost every match unless I'm sniping.

Most of our matches end with the enemy forfieting or us playing against 1 person.

Now Blops catered to campers, I've never seen such inhuman kd's until I started playing blops and thought wow! what a beast! Then I saw how they did it, and was disappointed.

I had more problems with hit detection in blops than I have in MW3, never b**ched too much about it though. Not like the kids these days...

Exactly.  The people that had connection problems in Black Ops that were actually trying to solve their problems through troubleshooting were told to "man up".  Now the people that have connection problems in this game that didn't have it in black ops are just going around yelling LAG COMPENSATION.

"Man Up" and stop complaining.

Please, i'm having the same connection issues in this game, as i was in blops, except it's worse here. Just because YOU arent having problems on your cheap internet, doesn't mean nobody else is. The connections in this game are atrocious, they're a mess, it's actually incredible how it's this f'ed up. I did well in blops with a 2.4ish K/D, i do well on mw3 with a 2.0 overall, 3.0ish in ffa, i rush, i'm always in the other teams face, and even with the bullshit deahts i get, i still win nearly every time. BUT what isnt fair is when i get the games where i pull host and am a full 1 second behind everyone else because of the host disadvantage system. When i shoot someone with my spas-12 and the bullet hits more than half a second later, BOOM..................................... HIT! what? When i run around a corner and get killed, only to watch the killcam of a guy shooting at nothing and still getting hitmarkers. I don't have a problem with campers, turn the corner and shotgun shell to the face, problem solved, i have a problem with the lag that is forced upon me because i have a good internet connection. Have you ever heard of such a stupid system? Oh this guys got a good intnernet connection, lets slow it down so he's now WORSE than johnny fucknuts over here with dsl.

Lol well you obviously didnt have that bad on blops cause what you just described was me in blops but it didnt matter if i was hosting or not.

I would have 10-15 games in a row where my killcams wouldnt show me shooting even though I knew I was before I got lag killed. And anytime you said anything about it, those with "god-mode" lag on would tell you shut up and be a man, or buy better internet you dial up noob.

Well now the shoes on the other foot, and I don't lag unless i'm host which I can live with cause it's 100X better than blops hit detection. There's more to this than just good internet getting slowed down to the bad internets pace. I have a well-above average connection and I'm almost never slowed. In fact after this patch, I feel like rambo because now my game is even more responsive than it was before.

And to those that b*tch about lag in this game: Suck it up and be a man. Stop making excuses for why you suck so bad at this game. If you dont like it than stop playing.

Doesnt feel so great now huh?

Do you not see that what you are experiencing in this game is exactly what people experienced in black ops?

I don't have "cheap internet" as you say.  I have good speed numbers and good ping times.

playerone2

tL_baldage wrote:

The lowest k/d from the kids I play with is over 1.5 so I don't get it? And everyone else including me is over 2. Also we're not a team of campers, I run and gun almost every match unless I'm sniping.

Most of our matches end with the enemy forfieting or us playing against 1 person.

Now Blops catered to campers, I've never seen such inhuman kd's until I started playing blops and thought wow! what a beast! Then I saw how they did it, and was disappointed.

I had more problems with hit detection in blops than I have in MW3, never b**ched too much about it though. Not like the kids these days...

Come to my house and play. or just look up on youtube a video about it.

As a matter of fact here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wJOpFCCnv0E

(the guys voice is creepy i know)

90 percent of my games look like the first one. but once or twice a day I get a game like the others.

When im not "lagging" i get around a 5.0 k/d every time(not bragging). and predictably the very next game im lagging worse then either of the clips. same host same opponents.

And i have fiber optics with the comm 3 modem and all the bells and whistles my ping never changes. my pings to a location 800 miles away are 20ms or so consistently.

If most games end with the other team backing out you have a problem. and if nobody else joins thats usually because your a bad host. not saying your not good but if you have the advantage and your better then the other person then its ridiculous. If im more than a second off or so i back out for sure. my W/L is garbage.

nameless105

The NUMBER 1 problem with this game is no VZ and JW.

Yes the MM system in this game is ****.  They should be using a system like this to choose host:  http://ccr.sigcomm.org/online/files/p315.pdf

trialstardragon

Ya know you sound like a competition nut that thinks that skill should be everything in these games. You never learned to play games for fun eh? You never learned it was ok to lose eh? You never learned you do not have to be the best al the time eh?

You so sound like the type of person that when you lose goes, "Damn fing camping bas*@rd!". Or some other sad variant of that rant. And you sound like the perosn that goes, "Yeah look at me Noob I kicked your arse! You suck at this game!", when you win.

These games are not just meant for ego boosting or vanity contests or pride or who is best or the most skilled or the most popular at playing the game. It is after all not a sport and just a video game and just meant for fun and way to relax and enjoy wasting some time away. Not as some sort of way to improve your self esteem by doing well in a video game.

Some people do just play for fun and their verison of fun may not be the same as yours, because fun can mean many different things to many different people.

playerone2

It is for fun. but its also competetive. You know one team versus another team.

Its not fun when the makers of the game decide who wins and who loses. not one kill or death in this game is based on skill.

Its about how damage your bullets do in that particular game. and how far ahead or behined you are from you opponents.

Actually i am the type that when i loose and people talk ****. i tell them google lag compensation or shut up. your not as good as you think.

It isn't as bad as it used to be, but it is still frustrating. I can shoot someone who isn't looking at me and get three or four hit markers and they just turn and hip fire and they kill me, that is unfair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOpFCCnv0E

gallp13

I applaud the intend of OP to spark conversation on lag comp and it's reduction and equitable dispersal. While I lack the technical expertise to contribute in any meaningful way to this discussion I would refer all the maccabis posts on the matter.

I actually agree with the OP,

However i also feel there are a lot of people with pretty rampant egos.

If you have something to blame you can justify your failures.

"I died because of Lag Comp" is something i've heard over and over again.

Maybe it's occasionally true, Maybe people use it as an excuse to why they sucked it up in that game?

"hey it couldn't possibly be that the other guy bested me in a fight, i'm awesome, my mommy said so!"