26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2013 7:56 PM by TheKeneticaxXx RSS

IED - Something To Think About

ryantherobot
I have a friend who is in the Marines who lost his leg in an IED attack while serving in Iraq.

We were talking one day and mentioned MW2 and perhaps new things that might be included and the topic of, "What if they have like an IED thing for killstreaks/perk?" came up. He told me that he wouldn't like to see that in the game at all, reason being is that I guess he doesn't want to have something that is taking our and other countries soldiers lives to be depicted so nonchalant in a video game (especially because he has experienced that first hand).

I see that as a reasonable explanation why he and perhaps other real-life soldiers/veterans would not like to see that in a game and might be offensive to some players/critics.

What do you all think?
  • Re: IED - Something To Think About
    Noct-
    Modern Warfare would get terrible publicity from tight-assed news sources like CNN. Its not worth it, and honestly would be completely pointless. Unless the game comes with vehicles in multiplayer, which I dont think it will.

Besides an IED doesent have any shape or design, its an improvised explosive device. This could be anything from old artillery shells set to explode to combustible materials packed with shards of metal.
    I really like this. It coul;d be a perk for the terrorist sie like marines have clays but opfor COD4 for example could us IED
    I_BAS_I
    Lol, somebody posted this earlier today, they should make these available for anyteam despite their faction but change characteristics such as more damage in all directions but small range high damge
    VTG28
    I agree with your Marine friend, IED take too many lives and I don't think video games should use that as entertainment.
    GLoRY GuNz
    Its a depiction of real life, but this point has come up with others too. After all it is a war game

Personally I don't see how it would be offensive, keep in mind many people have died from bullets and yet many army veterans still play the game?

I say go through with the IED idea if IW is/was/wantsto work on it or use it
    HybridPaul
    I suggested this here yesterday. Why cant IEDs be in because they kill people? Turns out bullets, knives, gun turrets and noob tubes up the arse kill people but theyre still included.
    VTG28
    You must realize that guns and bullets are everywhere not just in war. IEDs are too current and are a cowardly tactic-yet effective unfortunately. You can prevent being shot much more easier than being blownup by a remote device that you can make it look like litter on the side of the road.
    Clivey O
    People have lost their limbs because of grenades ... take those out too? Like other people have mentioned here it is a unfortunate part of warfare and has no reason not to be included/excluded for any other reason than it works/dont work (gameplay wise)
    HugeCursor

Upmostcash wrote:

I agree with your Marine friend, IED take too many lives and I don't think video games should use that as entertainment.

I disagree with you, my friend. Bullets also take too many lives and I do think that video games use that as entertainment.

And for your second post just before this one. AC-130s are just as cowardish as IEDs.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you say, but I just disagree.
    HybridPaul

Upmostcash wrote:

You must realize that guns and bullets are everywhere not just in war. IEDs are too current and are a cowardly tactic-yet effective unfortunately. You can prevent being shot much more easier than being blownup by a remote device that you can make it look like litter on the side of the road.

Do I really dont agree with you. It sounds like your saying its ok to kill somebody as long as you arent stealthy. Its still killing. Your either against ALL OF IT and not. Thats the south park approach to comedy and its the only way.
    VTG28
    Killing someone by hiding and standing toe to toe with them are two different animals. I'm saying right now the majority of servicemen are being killed by roadside bombs, which is a terrorist tactic and only terrorist are using them. Alot of veterans play these games, most of them can get past the shooting, but seeing something that could've killed one of their buddies-like an IED-brings up too many bad memories. It's unfair fighting anyway you look at it video games or not. IED explosions are what many veterans have bad thoughts of when coming back-PTSD. Look it up. I'm saying just leave this one thing out, it's not going to ruin the game if there aren't IEDs in it.
    cbudave
    hmm...sounds good, but i think it might be a little overused
    I_BAS_I

Upmostcash wrote:

Claymore are even more cowardly as they are even more effective
    One side uses m4 in real life other aks
    One uses claymore one uses IEDs

Get over it, alls fair
    azliand

I_BAS_I wrote:

Upmostcash wrote:

Claymore are even more cowardly as they are even more effective
    One side uses m4 in real life other aks
    One uses claymore one uses IEDs

Get over it, alls fair

Yeah, until a veteran snaps from PTSD and shoots a place up or kills himself. IED's aren't needed. I'll be the last one to be politically correct, but when it comes to people getting hurt in real life over a bunch of pixels, IW won't touch it.
    VTG28
    The U.S. doesn't use claymores in IRAQ,think collateral damage. In the game you can see the claymore and its red tripwire. An IED is hidden as a piece of garbage on the side of the road. In the game I'm not going to check every piece of trash that is scattered around, so some guy can blow me up with a cheap NOKIA cellphone.

Thank you trigerhappi for understanding.
    rainmaker117
    So it would be one giant overpowered claymore? I dont like it
    azliand
    I forgot to add, you can basically already make your own IED in CoD4. Slash open the window(s) of a car and drop a C4 pack in.

So it would be one giant overpowered claymore? I dont like it

It would actually be more like a giant pack of C4. Think everyone on both teams piled all their C4 onto a car then blew it up.
    I have  family and friends who have served both in Iraq and Afghanistan they haven't been hurt by any IEDS but quite a few people in there units have so i don't think it's something that should be in as it's too close to home for a lot of  people.

Talheng
    bigalps3
    Lets consider war itself a "game". EA sports always says "if its in the game, its in the game"â„¢. I know its a very touchy subject, but it is what it is. Just make sure its stays balanced.

bigalps3 wrote:

Lets consider war itself a "game". EA sports always says "if its in the game, its in the game"â„¢. I know its a very touchy subject, but it is what it is.

If only it were so simple.  Konami had to pull 'Six Days In Fallujah' due to the public outcry.
    bigalps3

Your_Nan wrote:

bigalps3 wrote:

Lets consider war itself a "game". EA sports always says "if its in the game, its in the game"â„¢. I know its a very touchy subject, but it is what it is.

If only it were so simple.  Konami had to pull 'Six Days In Fallujah' due to the public outcry.

i read about that.if the game had a different title it would have been under the radar the whole time and maybe even a great hit (nothing like MW tho). thats konamis dumb ass fault.
    xzblazexzx92
    Both sides have good points, but i'm going to basically repeat what others have said:

Guns, knives, claymores, a lot of things kill.

So why not implement IED's?

Yea, it may be bad for vets to see this, but wouldn't it be just as bad for someone who saw their friend die in Iraq or Afghanistan from being shot?

Yes, it's the same.

Why not just take out the whole game then?

It's just a game, maybe they shouldn't add some whole big scene to depict it, but it's IW who makes the decision on whether to put it in or not.

I really doubt they will though.
    bigalps3

xzblazexzx92 wrote:

Why not just take out the whole game then?

It's just a game, maybe they shouldn't add some whole big scene to depict it, but it's IW who makes the decision on whether to put it in or not.

quote]
    +1

GLoRY GuNz
    This could also be used a replacement for a claymore mine, don't know why I didn't think of that before :)
    Xaor
    The original poster and anyone agreeing with him really ought to be more worried about the inclusion of guns. It's incredibly biased of us in the west to think that we should exclude things which hurt us, whilst the entire MW1 storyline was based around weapons which killed absurd amounts of people in WW2.
    TheKeneticaxXx

Well touching stories dont have their place here.

It happened but you know what else happens? People get shot by gang bangers. Dirty cops kill innocent people. Drug dealers sell drugs. And theres many games that depict ALL of that. In fact theres a very popular one out now, and maybe youve heard of it. GTA V?

So yea.

Life imitates Art and vice versa. Next thing youll want to take guns out of FPS's because people get shot by them. ... get real.