16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 7:17 PM by gromit6909 RSS

Why do console games not use numbers to represent ping?

FragdaddyXXL
I cannot think of a game for a console that uses actual numbers to represent ping. I used to play PC games back in 2002-2005, and they all used numbers to represent ping. They displayed the ms of ping. Do consoles have some weird incapability to display the ms of ping? CoD and all other console games use bars. Why?
  • Re: Why do console games not use numbers to represent ping?
    Mr Irrepressible
    street fighter HD-Remix uses numbers to represent ping
    CODfanboy2k9
    Warhawk on the PS3 states ping, not that i have any idea what it means
    GriffGB
    Cos the general console gamer probably doesn't care about, or even know what a ping is.  Everyone can work out a graph/scale.

Think yourself lucky COD has a bar. Battlefield has nothing to let us know when we're being killed over and over due to a low ping/lag and not actually because we're crap.
    Mr Irrepressible

thebigb82 wrote:

Warhawk on the PS3 states ping, not that i have any idea what it means

hi thebigb82, can you give us any update from IW regarding match making and/or glitches, are they aware of things that ppl are complaining about?
    FragdaddyXXL
    It's an easy concept: The smaller the number, the better. Ping (for those who don't know much about it) is the amount of time it takes to send info from the client to the host and back. Just like when you are host, you have 0 ping because you are sending info to yourself. The number represents how many milliseconds it takes to send information from the client ----> to the host ----> and then back to the client.
    Vegemite2
    I think CoD 2 or 3 did it. The whole ping system is better then colour coded bars...

I think that 250 ping is like yellow bar. Which is a quarter of a second. Which also doesn't sound like much but the average reaction time is one tenth of that, it can be extremely frustrating for international player.
    So the only time I can get kills is if the enemy isn't looking at me or is just a sloth...

Ping would make everything so much more helpful. Although its not as simple as the pre-school colour coded system its very basic. The higher the number the more latency your have.
    Dax12
    The reason is because anyone who takes console games over PC games probably doesnt even know the meaning of terms like ping. The numbers would mean nothing to them, and the 4 bars are much easier to read. Especially for the majority of the people playing this game, who are under the age of 17 anyway.
    Johnny7even
    I've always had a sneaking suspicion the colour coded bars lie anyway, im often on full green bars and lagging, i'd like to know the ping ranges of the bars.
    Coaran
    i would really like to see numbers instead of bars as i am used to them from UT99 if i was getting like 100 or more ping it was sometimes unplayable and i would spectate and talk. also someone said that 4 bars mean 0-150 ping! so if your spiking from 89-150 you would have 4 bars but would be lagging.
    HardCore_Grub
    Cause its easy to determine the connection strength with the color codes rather than an unknown number on screen.
    SH3MRON

Coaran wrote:

i would really like to see numbers instead of bars as i am used to them from UT99 if i was getting like 100 or more ping it was sometimes unplayable and i would spectate and talk. also someone said that 4 bars mean 0-150 ping! so if your spiking from 89-150 you would have 4 bars but would be lagging.

This is why I would love if IW used numbers instead of bars.  And add local search because for us in Puerto Rico we are lucky if we get 3 bars steady.  We rarely get 4 bars and if 4 bars is somewhere between 0-150 ms its a sucky connection.  A good connection should be less than 80 ms.
    EvanMyspace
    it's okay tho. some how 3bars beats 4bars. as ever time i have 4bars and i shoot a guy with 3bars i have to dump 7-10 extra bullets into him.
    CriticalAsh
    Well how about people do the UNTHINKABLE *gasp* and take 1 minute to LEARN what those itty bitty wikkle numbers mean.

But I have wondered this too for years although never brought up the question. However my guess is that with console players being more casual in general (at least in the past) and also with matchmaking systems that console games mainly used, that a numbered ping display would cause players to constantly leave a game because they would become aware that anything over 60ms is bad (to play a console game with anything under is VERY rare) and demand better quality.

So in essence what console dev's have been doing for years (and still are doing) is insulting your intelligence and giving you a sub par online experience by hiding your disadvantage behind pretty green bars.

I imagine them to say: "Just give em a bar graph for ping, the idiots won't know any different.  Heh heh heh!" *Rubs baby oil over himself and rolls around in the bathtub full of money, cackling manically*
    bellsten
    Its because 80% on xbox live are noobs that dont know what ping is and dont care if the join a Mw2 game with crappy connection,as long as they get to play.My connsern is why do i with 0,40mb up get host and the game says that this gives the Americans 2-3 bars in connection when they get about 150-170 in ping from my connection.So srew the 4 bars connection for next CoD and give us ping nummbers
    SH3MRON

CriticalAsh wrote:

Well how about people do the UNTHINKABLE *gasp* and take 1 minute to LEARN what those itty bitty wikkle numbers mean.

But I have wondered this too for years although never brought up the question. However my guess is that with console players being more casual in general (at least in the past) and also with matchmaking systems that console games mainly used, that a numbered ping display would cause players to constantly leave a game because they would become aware that anything over 60ms is bad (to play a console game with anything under is VERY rare) and demand better quality.

So in essence what console dev's have been doing for years (and still are doing) is insulting your intelligence and giving you a sub par online experience by hiding your disadvantage behind pretty green bars.

I imagine them to say: "Just give em a bar graph for ping, the idiots won't know any different.  Heh heh heh!" *Rubs baby oil over himself and rolls around in the bathtub full of money, cackling manically*

haha the worst part of what you said is that it may be true.

Because console gamers can't count above 59.99.

Oh sorry i thought this was a joke and you we're looking for punchlines.