32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 5:20 PM by Itchy_HelmetHead RSS

Official Final Fantasy XIII (all formats) Thread

CODfanboy2k9
This is a thread to dicuss all that is Final Fantasy with the upcoming release on Tuesday 9th March for PS3 and 360.

The Game will follow the trials of Lighting (the second female main character since Final Fantasy VI) who is said to be the female Cloud (Final Fantasy VII, my avatar).

Summons are set to return some of the old classics are making a welcome return, Odin, Shiva, Bahamunt and Alexander.

Its set in the world of Pulse and the city of Cocoon.

So chat away if anyone is a FF fan
  • Re: Official Final Fantasy XIII (all formats) Thread
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    ME WANTS NOW!!!!!!!!

please excuse the caps but i really really really want it.

GOTY possibility with GOW3 (imo) feeling a bit average and just being a basic slash em up.

and definitely a graphics of the year winner. :)

i'm interested to see how the linear storyline will work.

glad they kept the bulk of the FFXII system as well (i think they did anyway) i much prefer it to the battle systems of Ye Olde Age.
    CODfanboy2k9

Itchy_HelmetHead wrote:

ME WANTS NOW!!!!!!!!

please excuse the caps but i really really really want it.

GOTY possibility with GOW3 (imo) feeling a bit average and just being a basic slash em up.

and definitely a graphics of the year winner. :)

i'm interested to see how the linear storyline will work.

glad they kept the bulk of the FFXII system as well (i think they did anyway) i much prefer it to the battle systems of Ye Olde Age.

The battle system has been changed as far as i know but the core of the game is FF12
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    i know they've changed bits.

they're never able to not tinker with things.

i just meant that it's the same kind of flowing system.
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    whoops.

my finger just slipped from normal copy to collectors edition... :(

what a shame...
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    unluckily i don't pay in cents so that's not a good guarantee. ^_^
    CODfanboy2k9
    the one thing that has made my day, sorry 360 owners is the fact they have to change disk.

"Disk one complete, please open tray and insert Disk Two, please ensure you close the lid"

the good old PS1 message, those where the days
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    those really were the days.

even changing disc on the downloadable ones feels fun.

i have to say that playing FFVIII again has been the best time of nostalgia i've ever had.

i was (rightly) annoyed when it was announced to be on 360 as well since it was rumoured it would have to take a bump on the graphics for it to fit on the disc.

therefore square have done a great thing in not allowing the quality of their work to be downgraded just to increase profits. :)
    Does anyone else here find it ironic that this game is called FINAL Fantasy and yet there's 13 games? Seriously, just end it!
    CODfanboy2k9
    well that forced a delay by a year, thankfully its coming out and all is forgiven. Just want them to release some info about Vs Final Fantasy XIII
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    yes i've found it both hilarious and ironic for many years.

and to the fact there are actually 14 so far including this one PLUS many spin offs.

i think the name comes from the fact that each one has world ending consequences.
    CODfanboy2k9

Itchy_HelmetHead wrote:

and to the fact there are actually 14 so far including this one PLUS many spin offs.

i think the name comes from the fact that each one has world ending consequences.

I am not sure where the name comes from, but it keeps on going
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    well nearly everyone is set in a new world. :P

it's not as if one world is constantly getting "close to destruction" :D

and yes the delay almost killed me.

i've had to cling to the "knowledge" that the delay would only make it better. :)
    CODfanboy2k9
    i don't think II was end of the world i could be wrong
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    i've played very little of the ones before VII

i still haven't been able to get my hands on a working SNES for a reasonable price.
    CODfanboy2k9

Itchy_HelmetHead wrote:

i've played very little of the ones before VII

i still haven't been able to get my hands on a working SNES for a reasonable price.

I have I and II on my psp, i will look into it
    Shonic

Itchy_HelmetHead wrote:

If I'm not mistaken the reason they named the game Final Fantasy is because (Squaresoft I believe it was at the time) was basically about to go out of business or something of the sort. So they had one last project, and they named it "Final Fantasy" as it'd be their final project. Turns out it was a huge success, so they decided to continue making them since they were such a huge success :D

Shonic wrote:

If I'm not mistaken the reason they named the game Final Fantasy is because (Squaresoft I believe it was at the time) was basically about to go out of business or something of the sort. So they had one last project, and they named it "Final Fantasy" as it'd be their final project. Turns out it was a huge success, so they decided to continue making them since they were such a huge success :D

Right, something to this effect.  But either way, I'd like to see more Tactics...
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    that'll more than do me for a reason.

i miss squaresoft. :(
    junglejim82-mkII
    ive been waiting on this game for around 5 years now its been too much to bear. these games have never been bettered imo excluding ffx-2 that is. mw2 is the only game that ive spent more game time on than these i remember ff8 taking me something like 80 hours to finish. my dad is nearly 60 and still loves these games
    CODfanboy2k9

junglejim82-mkII wrote:

ive been waiting on this game for around 5 years now its been too much to bear. these games have never been bettered imo excluding ffx-2 that is. mw2 is the only game that ive spent more game time on than these i remember ff8 taking me something like 80 hours to finish. my dad is nearly 60 and still loves these games

FFX-2 i have that game, i chringe each time i pick it up, horrible

thebigb82 wrote:

junglejim82-mkII wrote:

FFX-2 i have that game, i chringe each time i pick it up, horrible

I'm honestly not sure why it gets as much flak as it does.  The battle system in it was pretty fun if you ask me, but hey, whatever works for you.
    CODfanboy2k9

Mechanical wrote:

I'm honestly not sure why it gets as much flak as it does.  The battle system in it was pretty fun if you ask me, but hey, whatever works for you.

the battle system is not the problem, its the fact its well girly
    junglejim82-mkII
    horrible when youve waited so long for its release ive been playing fallout 3 again recently to get back into the whole patience aspect of playing rpgs. i read the japanese review for ff13 somewhere which said the whole world map and ability to explore it at will has been removed surely thats not true can anyone confirm this? one of my favourite pastimes in the ff series was searching every possible location for the hidden summons. in ff12 i only missed 2 i think and lets face it the epic end battles are alot easier when you have the top gf/aeons
    N_Vicious
    All I can say is that I'm glad there's finally an HD Final Fantasy. HD + Final Fantasy = infinite possibilities. :)

thebigb82 wrote:

Mechanical wrote:

I won't argue that, but the game itself was still pretty damn fun.  For about 5 bucks it's still a good FF title.  Just my two cents.
    Shonic

Mechanical wrote:

thebigb82 wrote:

Mechanical wrote:

I won't argue that, but the game itself was still pretty damn fun.  For about 5 bucks it's still a good FF title.  Just my two cents.

I kind of wish they would have just stuck with FFX, the ending was so sad, but so nice.
    I still think it's rather sad who Tidus really is though...
    hip_hop_bunni
    In danger of being over hyped me thinks...
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    bunni it's final fantasy.

i can't be over hyped. :P

square always pull something out of the hat to beat people.

horrible when youve waited so long for its release ive been playing fallout 3 again recently to get back into the whole patience aspect of playing rpgs. i read the japanese review for ff13 somewhere which said the whole world map and ability to explore it at will has been removed surely thats not true can anyone confirm this? one of my favourite pastimes in the ff series was searching every possible location for the hidden summons. in ff12 i only missed 2 i think and lets face it the epic end battles are alot easier when you have the top gf/aeons

yes the world map has been removed because of the particular storyline. there's also very few (if any) NPCs who you can interact with.

the storyline i think is supposed to resemble a race against time. so flying around in your airship has been taken out. :(

it's a shame because i do love that part but if they can pull it off this could be one of the most exhilarating games ever made.

FFX-2

meh...

the only one since VII that i haven't completed.

i like the battle system now i can see it as the logical progression to FFXII's battle system.

to me now FFX-2 was a tester game for ideas going into XII.

and the dress-sphere thing was a horrible horrible addition (like some kind of ugly mutated mix of materia and the sphere grid.

the level up system they use in the one will be interesting.
    CODfanboy2k9

hip_hop_bunni wrote:

In danger of being over hyped me thinks...

erm not really, the FF series does not need hype to sell
    Should I be interested (buy it perhaps) because I've never played a FF (well yeah once), and I always hear people talk about how good and epic FF must be. Is it "newb" friendly enough in that way, both the storyline and difficulty/controls?
    Shonic

ANNIHILATOR90 wrote:

Should I be interested (buy it perhaps) because I've never played a FF (well yeah once), and I always hear people talk about how good and epic FF must be. Is it "newb" friendly enough in that way, both the storyline and difficulty/controls?

Chances are the game will be simple enough to where someone who is new to the genre will be able to complete it, there will most likely be challenges for you here and there considering you may not know how things work. I haven't seen many of the game play videos, but most of the recent FF's have been pretty challenging if I'm not mistaken.

But I'd say pick it up, over time you'll become better acquainted with the controls and the battle system and whatnot
    Itchy_HelmetHead
    i've got to say.

i've yet to play a FF game where it's "newb" friendly.

the level of depth within it is extreme to say the least.

however it's always possible to play through (and enjoy) the game with a minimum level of understanding.