39 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2010 8:25 AM by l4mb RSS

Why the lack of semi-autos?

mr.poodles
I mean, seriously?  Why take the wonderful G3 and M14 and put the FAL in their place?  The FAl is terrible, with the RDS glitch and the most terrible iron sight ever made, I don't get why they even bothered to put it in.
  • Re: Why the lack of semi-autos?
    l4mb
    I know, right? I loved the G3, and also loved the M14; however, I find the FAL to be quite effective. I still wish there was a but of a choice...
    LankanLatino
    Call me a noob, but what's the RDS glitch? I use it in Hardcore and it works fine for me, OHK everytime.

I never liked the M14 to be honest..I mean I once picked it up with an acog while I had stopping power (in mw1) and I did pretty well..but I tried again and did terribly.
    PwGTsP
    Probably because of all the cheaters who insist on using modded controllers.  Once again blaim the "loyal community" for taking advantage of something.
    mr.poodles

LankanLatino wrote:

Call me a noob, but what's the RDS glitch? I use it in Hardcore and it works fine for me, OHK everytime.

I never liked the M14 to be honest..I mean I once picked it up with an acog while I had stopping power (in mw1) and I did pretty well..but I tried again and did terribly.

The red dot is not where the bullet hits.
    ICEheaven103
    The G3's performance was great. The FAL's sound just sounded cool. Also, the M21 EBR is supposed to be an M14 EBR, IW kinda messed up on the names.
    mr.poodles
    Ya, but I don't want to have to use an ACOG scope whenever I use a semi- auto.
    killabros3
    bc the game is desing to "spray and pray"
    mr.poodles

killabros3 wrote:

bc the game is desing to "spray and pray"

Lol that too.
    TheDustbinMan
    Another semi-auto AR should be the first thing in line if they add new weapons. We dont need another sniper.
    Prowler10251989
    We need a variant the M14 back in the AR category

I'm pretty sure though that gun in COD4 was a variant of the SOCOM 16 because of the short barrel and the way the muzzle flash was.

I wouldn't mind them bringing that back, except with a black stock instead of that ugly gray stock they had.

They need to make it a OHK to the chest with stopping power. They make seem OP, but chances are if they do bring it back the gun will have a ton of recoil and in this game there is no recoil for ARs so it needs some sort of power advantage to be "balanced"
    GumboVariation
    Because Semi-Autos require some sort of skills?

Imagine MW2 with weapons requiring skills!
    mr.poodles

GumboVariation wrote:

SKillz?  OH noez.
    Aerohank

GumboVariation wrote:

The F2000, L86 LSW and MP5K require more skill to use than the FAL.
    The FAL is actually the most overpowerd weapon in the game if you use it with stoppingpower, holographic sight and a silencer.

2 hit kill at any range and 1 headshot kill up close? Semi auto with 60 rounds (no need for scavanger)?
    Yeah no not really all that skillfull. Sorry.
    GumboVariation
    Recoil =/= skills.

FAL most overpowered weapon LOL?
    MegaMonkeyChunk
    G3 w/ Silencer FTW!!!!!!!

Used it all the time I wasn't using the R700.
    suuky
    what if i usethe fa with silencer and cold blooded? that takes some skill
    reklawO522
    One of the many reasons that I think WaW is better than MW2 is how many more semi auto and bolt action rifles there were.
    suuky
    yeh but they were obsolete in the face ofthe mp40 most of the time.
    Im tryin to do the FAL mastery challenge now, and i doubt that a modded controller would do much because theres quite a bit of recoil and i find you sometimes need to take your time with the shots at long range.
    ELDRIC
    Who would want a semi auto over an auto?  I get killed CQ all the time when trying to use the FAL against the autos.  The FAL is great if you want a "sniper" rifle, or are very quick with the trigger. 
    BTW, in every WWII game I have ever played, I always go for the MP40.  Know why?  It was the best SMG of its time.
    MegaMonkeyChunk

ELDRIC wrote:

Who would want a semi auto over an auto?  I get killed CQ all the time when trying to use the FAL against the autos.  The FAL is great if you want a "sniper" rifle, or are very quick with the trigger. 
    BTW, in every WWII game I have ever played, I always go for the MP40.  Know why?  It was the best SMG of its time.

That why they gave you shotgun secondaries. Semi auto rifles suck big time in CQ.

I do agree with you on the WWII stuff. I too picked the MP40 in every WWII game I've played except W@W since I liked the PPSh way better.
    GrayProxy

Aerohank wrote:

The F2000, L86 LSW and MP5K require more skill to use than the FAL.
    The FAL is actually the most overpowerd weapon in the game if you use it with stoppingpower, holographic sight and a silencer.

2 hit kill at any range and 1 headshot kill up close? Semi auto with 60 rounds (no need for scavanger)?
    Yeah no not really all that skillfull. Sorry.

These 4 weapons are in my top 5 or 6 favorite weapons in this game, and I think of the three you listed, only the L86 is more difficult to use than the FAL. The MP5K and the F2000 utterly obliterate anything in close-medium range and struggle no more at long range than the FAL does at close, which is where quite a lot of kills take place on most maps.

Regarding your theory that the FAL could be the most overpowered weapon, I'll say this:

L86 W/ Stopping Power
    2 hit kill at any range.
    Works semi-auto, burst, or full auto.
    More ammo in one mag than most weapons have total. (no need for Scavanger)
    Bling optional.

It's easy to make a weapon SOUND overpowered.. but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is. Both the L86 and the FAL have great strengths that are countered by their obvious weaknesses.

Personally, I love using the L86 as a 2 shot semi auto rifle. True, I fall back on the auto fire when I need to, but it's still fun to get most kills with just two taps of the trigger. The only problem is the atrocious movement speed penalty that makes marathon a requirement (for me) and kind of hinders the overall fun factor a bit.
    GrayProxy

Prowler33 wrote:

We need a variant the M14 back in the AR category

I'm pretty sure though that gun in COD4 was a variant of the SOCOM 16 because of the short barrel and the way the muzzle flash was.

I wouldn't mind them bringing that back, except with a black stock instead of that ugly gray stock they had.

They need to make it a OHK to the chest with stopping power. They make seem OP, but chances are if they do bring it back the gun will have a ton of recoil and in this game there is no recoil for ARs so it needs some sort of power advantage to be "balanced"

I still think that would be really overpowered.. I know I would feel like a noob using such a weapon. A better solution would be something like giving it the FAL's stopping power advantages (1 shot head shot up close, 2 at any range) without the need of either stopping power, or a holo. Stopping power would then either have no effect (freeing you up to use something else) or be used to counter/limit whatever penalty a silencer would give.

Even that could be overpowered unless the recoil were to be VERY significant. Still, I suppose I don't really expect any new weapons anyway... I learned my lesson about hope when I assumed they were planning stats for the VIP section.
    IW seriously thought that modded controllers were a bigger threat than infinite rifle grenades.
    MegaMonkeyChunk

Mr_Epic_Toast wrote:

IW seriously thought that modded controllers were a bigger threat than infinite rifle grenades.

Yeah I was pissed. Made the semi autos near useless. The pistols were hurt the worst because you have a better chance of surviving waiting to reload then your new single shot pistol.
    Cyanide P38
    It's because with the exception of many third-world countries still utilizing old-world weapons like the 1887, the M14 was an outdated piece of crap in real life. I was a heavier, steel-encased version of the M1 Garand, which was supposed to be lighter, but it was heavier instead.

...and the G3 is physically incapable of having a semi-auto firing mode, something CoD4 was weird for. All G3's were full-auto.
    MegaMonkeyChunk

Cyanide P38 wrote:

It's because with the exception of many third-world countries still utilizing old-world weapons like the 1887, the M14 was an outdated piece of crap in real life. I was a heavier, steel-encased version of the M1 Garand, which was supposed to be lighter, but it was heavier instead.

...and the G3 is physically incapable of having a semi-auto firing mode, something CoD4 was weird for. All G3's were full-auto.

Yeah apparently they misspelled HK 91. Happens all the time.
    Cyanide P38
    Also, the MP40 was not the greatest SMG of it's time, that's what video games were designed to teach you.

In all actuality, it was a slow-firing, slow-reloading, inaccurate piece of crap, that was easily taken down by a rifle. MP40's were only used by squad commanders in case the need of close quarters combat arose.
    SyKoN
    "The FAL is horrible"

Because, all semi-auto guns would be considered horrible

Why go Semi when you can go full auto? And it would encourage people to go buy controler mods.
    mr.poodles

Cyanide P38 wrote:

The G3 was a select fire for single or full auto.
    ChipyHimself
    I used the G3 a lot in CoD4 all I used in W@W was rifles, MP40's were for n00bs. There are 4 semi autos in the game; FAL, Barret, M21, WA200. Now you can throw an ACOG on the M21 or WA2000 & attempt to use them as an assault rifle, doesn't work that way with the Barret.
    mr.poodles
    The problem is that they have TERRIBLE sway with no breath hold ability with an ACOG.
    GrayProxy

Cyanide P38 wrote:

Did someone shoot your puppy with an M14 or something?
    Souza NZ
    I love the FAL but it's funny how many attachment issues it has.
    • The iron sights are terrible (there is like a blurry circle obscuring your vision)
    • The RDS dot is off (I forget if the bullet goes lower left or lower right)
    • The Holo Sight increases the minimum damage by 5 (I like this one)
    • The MasterKey has an abnormally large range

Did I miss any? This gun just screams untested. I miss my blue tiger M14, there are many like it but that one was mine.

kuselbfh
    mhh y should i use a Semi auto rifle that takes 2-3 bullets when i have 2 powerfull Burstrifles that fires 3 bullets each shot and are better on range and on CQC couse the shotgun like bulletspreed with steady aim from the hip..
    i mean.. i see some posters complain about a laser weapon that takes one shot on all ranges..
    we actually have a weapon like this.. its called Famas with SP..
    Play it on Wasteland with RDS or Holo and you will see what i mean..

so for me theres no need to use a Semi auto.. couse M16A4 and Famas are ways better than the Fal
    Gutterkisser
    Unrelated, but the Mosin Nagant with iron sights in WaW is the most satisfying goddamn rifle I've used in any CoD.

But yeah, I'd like to see more semis in MW2. Cleanly placed single shots are far more enjoyable for me than spraying.. but then, lack of recoil on everyone's automatic weapons kinda forces you into retarded 'spray and pay' tactics - at least when you're always stuck on 1 bar connections, thank you very much broken matchmaking.
    Learus Caper

Hedgehog87 wrote:

Another semi-auto AR should be the first thing in line if they add new weapons. We dont need another sniper.

Yes, we really do need another Sniper. I'd take a bolt action Sniper over a semi-auto AR that little 8 year olds are gonna buy modded controllers for. Half of the people I see using the FAL are only using it because they have a modded controller.
    TheDustbinMan

Learus Caper wrote:

Hedgehog87 wrote:

Yes, we really do need another Sniper. I'd take a bolt action Sniper over a semi-auto AR that little 8 year olds are gonna buy modded controllers for. Half of the people I see using the FAL are only using it because they have a modded controller.

Another sniper would be nice to have but its not needed as much as another semi-auto AR. People only want another sniper because they are bolt action fanboys. You want another bolt-action? What stats do you want it to have? What role will it fill that another sniper isnt filling already?
    l4mb
    Yeah, I gotta go with Hedgehog on this one. We don't need another Bolt Action sniper. People just miss the glitch that was M40 w/ACOG and SP.