40 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 12:16 PM by mw2freak1998 RSS

To all of those "Sensitive & easily offended gamers"

slickwilly251981
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/racism-and-homophobia-in-ga ming-hate-speech-corrodes-online-video-game-experiences/1396765">http://videogam es.yahoo.com/events/plug ... es/1396765</a><!-- m -->

This link is to an article that shows the gaming industry is doing what it can to prevent you from having to hear racist, sexist, homosexual referenced trash talk.

Now for my opinion....  Personally I think it's a bunch of bullsh!t.  People now a days get "offended" way too easily and procede to cry about it.  I don't go out and call people ni***rs or fa***ts or anything else.  If I hear that crap it shows just how much of an idiot that person is and I MUTE them.  I believe in the FREEDOM OF SPEECH and people have the right to say what they want, where they want, and how they want.  They are responsible for their own words and actions, not anyone else.  /end of my opinion & if you agree fine if you don't I could care less because you have your own opinion and it's your right.
  • Re: To all of those "Sensitive & easily offended gamers"
    CODfanboy2k9
    freedom of speech does not carry over to online gaming, there is a term of service you sign before you play on pc, ps3 and 360, each one states you cannot attack another member of the online service with racial remarks, sexaul remarks etc. doing so gets you banned.
    slickwilly251981

thebigb82 wrote:

freedom of speech does not carry over to online gaming, there is a term of service you sign before you play on pc, ps3 and 360, each one states you cannot attack another member of the online service with racial remarks, sexaul remarks etc. doing so gets you banned.

While I understand the TOS and why it's there I do disagree with it to a point.  There are other ways to avoid hearing people say their idiotic statements besides banning them, such as MUTE, or change your settings to being able to hear friends only, and so on.  I guess I just tend to figure that parents need to take more responsibility in what their kids are doing and saying while they play MATURE online games and the adults who play just need to not be so overly sensitive when someone decides to run their mouth.  But again this is just my opinion and the way I see it.
    CODfanboy2k9

slickwilly251981 wrote:

thebigb82 wrote:

While I understand the TOS and why it's there I do disagree with it to a point.  There are other ways to avoid hearing people say their idiotic statements besides banning them, such as MUTE, or change your settings to being able to hear friends only, and so on.  I guess I just tend to figure that parents need to take more responsibility in what their kids are doing and saying while they play MATURE online games and the adults who play just need to not be so overly sensitive when someone decides to run their mouth.  But again this is just my opinion and the way I see it.

Yes adults should play it, the word mature means sensible, calling someone a racist name is not mature is it
    MegaMonkeyChunk
    People under the age of 17 ruin games.
    slickwilly251981

thebigb82 wrote:

slickwilly251981 wrote:

thebigb82 wrote:

Yes adults should play it, the word mature means sensible, calling someone a racist name is not mature is it

No it is not and I agree with your statement 100%  But while I do not agree with the limiting of what people can say in online gaming I figured there will be people out there who are happy to hear that the gaming industry is doing something to limit the abusive language that is rampant online.  Lord knows there are litterally 100's of threads on here about people who don't appreciate being cussed at, so on and so on.  Hence the reason I posted the link in the first place.
    Ryu Shihaisha

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

So you're telling me that i'm the reason why people use Commando? Jk. Not all of us are immature idiots(majority of us are though).
    MegaMonkeyChunk

Ryu Shihaisha wrote:

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

So you're telling me that i'm the reason why people use Commando? Jk. Not all of us are immature idiots(majority of us are though).

Personally, I haven't met one kid who hasn't called me either:

A Wop
    A Pepper
    A N!gger
    A F(u)cker
    A N00b
    A Hacker
    A No lifer
    A Try Hard

Its actually helps me in my parenting because i make sure my children don't become retards like these kids seem to be.
    SeanSim

thebigb82 wrote:

The thing is, it SHOULDN'T be in the TOS.

I could start up a whole thing about how I think that's retarded that this forum is stupid for auto-censoring my expletives, but I don't want to start this thread going towards risky content.
    slickwilly251981

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

Ryu Shihaisha wrote:

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

A Wop
    A Pepper
    A N!gger
    A F(u)cker
    A N00b
    A Hacker
    A No lifer
    A Try Hard

Its actually helps me in my parenting because i make sure my children don't become retards like these kids seem to be.

^^This is the reason I don't let my 8 year old son play this game online while I'm not around.  When I do let him play it once in a blue moon, the head set is in, the mic is off, the volume is all the way down on the headset and it's sitting on the couch next to me so he can't hear any of that crap.
    Dragon_Skull_Ops
    If someone calls you a racial word or is completely vulgar in any other way, all you have to do is file a complaint. I assume the complaint system is definitely looked at from time to time and after you submit a player review and AVOID them forever, its only a matter of time before they upset another person who will do the same.

This is why I choose to mute EVERYONE except my friends. Not the best solution for when playing with people who actually communicate and help during a match, but the absolute best for avoiding the thousands of little bratty kids cursing and talking all sorts of nonsense.
    Ryu Shihaisha

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

Ryu Shihaisha wrote:

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

A Wop
    A Pepper
    A N!gger
    A F(u)cker
    A N00b
    A Hacker
    A No lifer
    A Try Hard

I know a few people (myself included) under the age of 17 that don't use that type of language or display that type of behavior. But the amount of people that do use excessive profanity at a young age is absurd.
    so, in MW2, its ok to blow people up, shoot them in the head, and slit their throats, but call someone a bad name and you get banned?

derp
    MegaMonkeyChunk

Ryu Shihaisha wrote:

I know a few people (myself included) under the age of 17 that don't use that type of language or display that type of behavior. But the amount of people that do use excessive profanity at a young age is absurd.

I remember when I was a kid and I never acted the way some of the kids online do. I'm actually happy when you can hear a parent beating a kid over the mic. That karaoke star deserved it, he didn't shut up. The only time I break out into song is when my entire party breaks out into "Don't Stop Believing" when we're losing. We actually got through the whole song and won once.
    CODfanboy2k9

coda19 wrote:

so, in MW2, its ok to blow people up, shoot them in the head, and slit their throats, but call someone a bad name and you get banned?

derp

its the context of the bad name that is the question, calling someone a noob or a douche is ok, calling them a racial slur is not acceptable
    slickwilly251981

dragon421skull wrote:

If someone calls you a racial word or is completely vulgar in any other way, all you have to do is file a complaint. I assume the complaint system is definitely looked at from time to time and after you submit a player review and AVOID them forever, its only a matter of time before they upset another person who will do the same.

This is why I choose to mute EVERYONE except my friends. Not the best solution for when playing with people who actually communicate and help during a match, but the absolute best for avoiding the thousands of little bratty kids cursing and talking all sorts of nonsense.

I agree with banning cheaters, hackers, modders, glitchers, and such vile creatures but reporting someone for language just seems a little petty to me.  People are gonna talk the way they want to talk and there are other ways that you can avoid hearing them run their mouth.  If parents are shocked that someone dropped the F bomb or N***er or any other word of choice over an online game then they obviously don't realize that their kid hears it damn near everywhere else they go like school, parks, hanging out with friends and such.  Language is language and you're gonna hear it in the real world as well as online.
    SeanSim

thebigb82 wrote:

calling them a racial slur is not acceptable

Why not?
    CODfanboy2k9

SeanSim wrote:

thebigb82 wrote:

Why not?

its against the terms of service

thebigb82 wrote:

coda19 wrote:

derp

its the context of the bad name that is the question, calling someone a noob or a douche is ok, calling them a racial slur is not acceptable

what about "fvck face assh0le"? thats pretty offensive to me. where is the line going to be drawn?
    SeanSim

thebigb82 wrote:

So why are racial slurs against the TOS while calling someone a douchebag is perfectly acceptable?

Was it completely arbitrarily chosen? What if I am more offended by being called a "moron" than by being called "white trash" or whatever?
    slickwilly251981

thebigb82 wrote:

SeanSim wrote:

thebigb82 wrote:

Why not?

I understand it's your job as a Mod to inform us of the TOS and rules and such, but as a person I'm just curious if you have an opinion on the subject.  Or is that something you cannot discuss due to your position as a Mod/IW employee?
    CODfanboy2k9

SeanSim wrote:

thebigb82 wrote:

So why are racial slurs against the TOS while calling someone a douchebag is perfectly acceptable?

Was it completely arbitrarily chosen? What if I am more offended by being called a "moron" than by being called "white trash" or whatever?

don't ask me, its just the way tos is written
    Dragon_Skull_Ops

slickwilly251981 wrote:

dragon421skull wrote:

I agree with banning cheaters, hackers, modders, glitchers, and such vile creatures but reporting someone for language just seems a little petty to me.  People are gonna talk the way they want to talk and there are other ways that you can avoid hearing them run their mouth.  If parents are shocked that someone dropped the F bomb or N***er or any other word of choice over an online game then they obviously don't realize that their kid hears it damn near everywhere else they go like school, parks, hanging out with friends and such.  Language is language and you're gonna hear it in the real world as well as online.

One of the biggest complaints in this forum is the whiney, foul mouthed children screaming crap throughout the game.

If you condone it its only going to continue. If you discipline it when it happens, and many people do it too, then it will eventually stop. Try having a parent (who gives a damn) receive a letter from Xbox Live stating that their account has been suspended due to vulgar, obscene, hateful language....and see what happens to that kid.
    slickwilly251981

dragon421skull wrote:

slickwilly251981 wrote:

dragon421skull wrote:

One of the biggest complaints in this forum is the whiney, foul mouthed children screaming crap throughout the game.

If you condone it its only going to continue. If you discipline it when it happens, and many people do it too, then it will eventually stop. Try having a parent (who gives a damn) receive a letter from Xbox Live stating that their account has been suspended due to vulgar, obscene, hateful language....and see what happens to that kid.

I'm not saying I condone it at all, but I am saying I feel that you shouldn't be banned for what you say and it's my personal belief that if the parents of some of these kids were being responsible in the first place that Microsoft wouldn't have to send them a letter explaining that their kid was banned for language.
    Rain Pein
    I was only ever allowed to play Sonic.

:(, that was my dad, and mums choice. I respected that.

I think it should just be common sense, to respect everyone equally. Know how to speak to people correctly etc, but who we fooling? That wont ever change.

You'll always find people who do it the other way, thats how it is.
    ToNaKa07

slickwilly251981 wrote:

^^This is the reason I don't let my 8 year old son play this game online while I'm not around.  When I do let him play it once in a blue moon, the head set is in, the mic is off, the volume is all the way down on the headset and it's sitting on the couch next to me so he can't hear any of that crap.

No 8 year old should be allowed anywhere near this sort of game anyway. There are plenty of games out there that don't include graphic violence...
    Dragon_Skull_Ops

slickwilly251981 wrote:

I'm not saying I condone it at all, but I am saying I feel that you shouldn't be banned for what you say and it's my personal belief that if the parents of some of these kids were being responsible in the first place that Microsoft wouldn't have to send them a letter explaining that their kid was banned for language.

Have you noticed the amount of 16-20 year olds having kids in the last 20 years (if youve lived that long)? There isnt really that much responsibility involved. You cant expect parents to be able to contain their stupid ass children because if they are yapping vulgarities online already, its apparent they have no discipline.

You SHOULD be banned for whatever it is, that is against the TOS for signing up for anything. Its a rule. If you start to bend the rules, because you tolerate the vulgarities more than others, that is where things really start to get worse.

Id curse all day if I felt like it but Id know when to respect others because I was raised the right way. I dont mind the cursing at all, but its never really someone saying the F word or S*hit. Its mostly that person cursing at you or others. Thats inappropriate and should be a cause for a ban.
    Why does every single kid get blamed for this?

I only use a mic when me and friends from school play or with some people from here. When I do use it I dont go into lobbies screaming "hey asshat go suck on my d!ck and guess what your mom I f*cked her so hard you retarded ape-sh*tting n*gger c*unt" But if someone really wants to say something like that to me I will say something far worse than the quote above.

That being said, when parents buy a kid a game thats rated M or says "Online not rated by ESRB", they should expect all of the cursing to be happening. I am entitled to freedom of speech, no matter what the TOS says, and if I wanna say "hey asshat go suck on my d!ck and guess what your mom I f*cked her so hard you retarded ape-sh*tting n*gger c*unt" on an M rated game I should be allowed to. But, on E games and certain T games I dont think some kind of system to control language being said would be a bad idea.
    CODfanboy2k9

slickwilly251981 wrote:

I understand it's your job as a Mod to inform us of the TOS and rules and such, but as a person I'm just curious if you have an opinion on the subject.  Or is that something you cannot discuss due to your position as a Mod/IW employee?

My opinion is Trash talking another player over the mic, by calling them a noob and stuff general linked to gameplay is fine, like "your a thermal scoping noobcake"

When it starts going to race or the country your from like "You British Wanker" that is not acceptable, that is my opinion
    Dragon_Skull_Ops

jr-beast1221 wrote:

I only use a mic when me and friends from school play or with some people from here. When I do use it I dont go into lobbies screaming "hey asshat go suck on my d!ck and guess what your mom I f*cked her so hard you retarded ape-sh*tting n*gger c*unt" But if someone really wants to say something like that to me I will say something far worse than the quote above.

That being said, when parents buy a kid a game thats rated M or says "Online not rated by ESRB", they should expect all of the cursing to be happening. I am entitled to freedom of speech, no matter what the TOS says, and if I wanna say "hey asshat go suck on my d!ck and guess what your mom I f*cked her so hard you retarded ape-sh*tting n*gger c*unt" on an M rated game I should be allowed to. But, on E games and certain T games I dont think some kind of system to control language being said would be a bad idea.

Youre not old enough to buy the game on your own therefore youre not allowed to say much of anything that has merit. Your parents failed. Kids like you cant control themselves. If you cant understand in the gaming worlds TOS agreement, then that makes me think that you are going to be awful at abiding by any contracts you sign in the future.....I forsee bad credit.
    Dragon_Skull_Ops
    You know, its like purchasing a concert ticket. There are certain rules that apply to enjoying a concert in an appropriate manner. You can have your fun. The ones who refuse to abide by one or any of the rules, are usually the ones I see getting thrown out, kicking an screaming....like a spoiled brat.
    slickwilly251981

ToNaKa07 wrote:

slickwilly251981 wrote:

No 8 year old should be allowed anywhere near this sort of game anyway. There are plenty of games out there that don't include graphic violence...

Dude, when I was a kid I was watching Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons, The Simpsons, playing Mortal Kombat watching Predator, and such with plenty of violence.  With that being said I raise my kids the same way my parents raised me, it was ok for me to see that stuff just as long as I understood it was only movies, shows, games and not real life.  I was allowed to continue to enjoy such privilages as long as I respected their rules.  And like I said, once in a blue moon will I let my son play and it's for 1 round max, other than that they have more important things to do like school work, or actually playing outdoors, and me taking them to the park and such.
    slickwilly251981

thebigb82 wrote:

slickwilly251981 wrote:

My opinion is Trash talking another player over the mic, by calling them a noob and stuff general linked to gameplay is fine, like "your a thermal scoping noobcake"

When it starts going to race or the country your from like "You British Wanker" that is not acceptable, that is my opinion

Right on, I appreciate your opinion and input.
    Learus Caper

MegaMonkeyChunk wrote:

You're making an unfair assumption here.

I'm 16 (17 on August) and I can assure you that I'm not half as bad as most of the older people on Xbox Live, that I've encountered. I've met plenty of grown adults who incessantly trash talk with offensive names and slurs. Sure, while generally people under 17 are less mature, there ARE some of us who have a decent level of maturity, especially when it comes to voice chat.

Yeah, sometimes I cuss on mic, when I'm angry. But hardly ever directed at people. Usually just directed at the game - like when I get commando knifed it generally pisses me off. But I'm not screaming "WOW THAT GUY IS A F***ING JEW N*****@@@@@@" into my headset.

dragon421skull wrote:

jr-beast1221 wrote:

Youre not old enough to buy the game on your own therefore youre not allowed to say much of anything that has merit. Your parents failed. Kids like you cant control themselves. If you cant understand in the gaming worlds TOS agreement, then that makes me think that you are going to be awful at abiding by any contracts you sign in the future.....I forsee bad credit.

Really, My parents failed? I cant control myself?

I dont see how being able to start up a lawn mowing business when I was 11 and then making it succeed when I make $2000 a summer means I cant control myself, be responsible etc. I earn first honors with a 3.6 GPA at a college prep high school, I definately cant control myself to get good grades.

And my parents know exactly what I'm playing, I dont see how that makes them a failure. A year and a half ago when I bought my PS3 and Cod 5 my parents said they dont want me cursing like in the game and having violent thoughts etc. After I bought it the first time I played my dad watched me play making sure I was mature enough for it, they definately failed doing that.

Just because some kids who play CoD get thoughts of shooting up an airport and have sh*tty parents who could care less about what there kids is doing doesnt mean that is what we are all like. Stop using a stereotype.
    Dragon_Skull_Ops

jr-beast1221 wrote:

Really, My parents failed? I cant control myself?

I dont see how being able to start up a lawn mowing business when I was 11 and then making it succeed when I make $2000 a summer means I cant control myself, be responsible etc. I earn first honors with a 3.6 GPA at a college prep high school, I definately cant control myself to get good grades.

And my parents know exactly what I'm playing, I dont see how that makes them a failure. A year and a half ago when I bought my PS3 and Cod 5 my parents said they dont want me cursing like in the game and having violent thoughts etc. After I bought it the first time I played my dad watched me play making sure I was mature enough for it, they definately failed doing that.

Just because some kids who play CoD get thoughts of shooting up an airport and have sh*tty parents who could care less about what there kids is doing doesnt mean that is what we are all like. Stop using a stereotype.

You said :

I am entitled to freedom of speech, no matter what the TOS says, and if I wanna say "hey asshat go suck on my d!ck and guess what your mom I f*cked her so hard you retarded ape-sh*tting n*gger c*unt" on an M rated game I should be allowed to

Now if you believe that your comment was anywhere near something a person who could control themselves would say, then buy all means I am sorry.

By your logic (about being entitled to freedom of speech) you could go up to the President and tell him that you want to phuk him up and not expect to get thrown in jail or fined......you cant take freedom of speech to that extent. We all have the right to speak freely, but there is a line and when you cross it, its no longer freedom of speech but more so just flat out dumb disrespectful language.
    vxyus626
    parents should face consequences for buying minors games that are not rated for them.. like buying cigarettes or alcohol for minors... maybe then we can see less kids exposed to violence and immature language

dragn421skull wrote:

You said :

I am entitled to freedom of speech, no matter what the TOS says, and if I wanna say "hey asshat go suck on my d!ck and guess what your mom I f*cked her so hard you retarded ape-sh*tting n*gger c*unt" on an M rated game I should be allowed to

Now if you believe that your comment was anywhere near something a person who could control themselves would say, then buy all means I am sorry.

By your logic (about being entitled to freedom of speech) you could go up to the President and tell him that you want to phuk him up and not expect to get thrown in jail or fined......you cant take freedom of speech to that extent. We all have the right to speak freely, but there is a line and when you cross it, its no longer freedom of speech but more so just flat out dumb disrespectful language.

Agreed.

But I rarely cross that line. If you read in my original post I said I never curse unless I am directly cursed at by your stereotype of any person under 17.

Other than that I agree that everyone should be somewhat respectful. I personally dont care if other people curse, but yes there is a line that most people cross whenever they open their mouthes.
    slickwilly251981

vxyus626 wrote:

parents should face consequences for buying minors games that are not rated for them.. like buying cigarettes or alcohol for minors... maybe then we can see less kids exposed to violence and immature language

Then Youtube would have to be a pay site for adults only, 98% of all TV shows would have to be taken off the air, and kids will not be allowed to talk to anyone at school.....  Life is full of crap, you just have to learn how to deal with it the best you can, teach your children right from wrong and hope that when they become adults they will be responsible citizens.
    otisman666
    I would agree with "kid" above me.  We roll with a group of 120 players.  Most of us are adults that simply enjoy gaming.  But about 10% of the group is represented by folks that are 15 - 18 years old.  Heck, I didn't even know CFI DontStabU was a "kid" for almost a year.  In addition, we have booted more then one "adult" from our group for unsportsmanlike behavior.  Each person is a representative of themselves and should be treated as such.  To do otherwise is foolish and in the end you are only shorting yourself.

This whole issue boils down to people having a lack of respect for one another.  It runs ramapant on these forums and is even worse in the games themselves.
    mw2freak1998

People say all kids are like that personally that annoys me i am 14 and i just mute my mic if im online so i dont hear all the idiots who use bad language I will engage in banter if its between mates but if its a bunch of people i dont know i try and act friendly towards them and if they tell me to f off or call me out i just mute them so then you dont listen to all the bs.

I sometimes here the clan that i run with calling the other clans in the lobby out on the fact there from a "poor country" or whatever i just let them run their mouths and just acknowledge its banter so if you dont like banter and you get easily upset mute everyone except your mates but i prefer to just give it back because if there giving your not worse for giving it back