30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 11:12 PM by gallp13 RSS

Serious gamers beware! The flaws in playing with randoms.

limonaid

For those serious gamers out there

A tip on playing MW3 as well as most other FPS games.

Take it from me, a vet from the U.S. Army with overseas experience in combat, it's never easy to play with randoms. Randoms are players that the server randomly pairs you up with and causes you much ire in the world of Call of Duty.

I've noticed that "the best of the best" in MW3 only plays with a few handpick players... they never... EVER play with randoms... why? Because you run into two obvious types of players.

One of the paramount lessons new recruits are taught in basic infantry training is that the two most dangerous soldiers are the coward and the wannabe hero. Even in video games such a lesson is plain to see, in it, you have the Camper and the Rusher. The camper is undependable and always missing from combat when needed. Campers causes good gamers to work much harder. Rushers are like wannabe heroes, in the sense that they ignore basic battle tactics and charge the enemy when they should crawl, they break formation from flanking maneuvers to cross open ground against heavily defended positions. They are more likely desperate to win glory and attention than to actually win battles and accomplish objectives. They place themselves in danger, expose their teammates to suddden counter attacks and must often be rescued from situations they never should have gotten into, often at great cost. Wannabe heroes get good players killed, often lose battles and even lose ground wars.

Now don't get me wrong, when you start playing MW3 on XBOX the best place to start is playing with Randoms. However, I remind you guys that this is for experienced players.

The best place to meet good players, believe it or not, is on the Call of Duty Elite website. Players aren't all full of pride and testosterone and are 10 times easier to approach. It's often difficult to pair up or friend someone who just whooped your ass relentlessly online (especially if your team couldn't keep up with the kills) than it is for someone who is met on website and away from the game. Trust me on this.

Always roll with teammates you trust in and play regularly with. Never play with randoms... it's like playing roulette you are much more likely to be paired with the coward or the wannabe hero than it is to randomly meet a battle buddy who has your back.

• Re: Serious gamers beware! The flaws in playing with randoms.
    JGDC74

I like playing against randoms in Free for All. Every game is different.

avengedyesterday

A good player will do well regardless of what he plays. I mainly play with random and im first place on the leaderboard 90% of the time win or lose.

Settle down, Francis. It's just a game.

solaripicasso

Where on Elite is this feature. I play with a couple of good players (Good being a relative term) but we understand each others gameplay. I want to play with some good gamers, I want to get better.

Thanks for the post!

bdnlv702

I play with randoms probably 75% of the time.  I like to win, and it does make me mad that sometimes the team I get put on are horrible...how people can consistently go 5-15 or have like a 0.50 KD or less is beyond me.  I think the game is set up rather easily for people to at least go even.  However at the same time the game is so random that I also get put on winning teams, seemingly less but oh well.  For myself, I play to win.  I rush, but I finish positive more than negative probably 90% of the time, I always play the objective as well and usually will finish in the top 2 in scoring 90% of the time to..so for myself I know I did my part.

This post is a joke. Take it from me as a US Army Veteran who has seen combat, the two are totally unrelated. This is a game, in real combat if you get hit with most of any of these weapons you go down and there is usually major damage. People go into last stand for real to save their lives or the lives of others. I read this entire post. Please tell me how many "campers" where not there when you needed them. Those would be called shammers and stragglers. Please tell me how many rouge soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen that you have had personal experience with. Should learn your history. Days of Audy Murphy are long gone and the military tried to correct their experiences from Vietnam. If you used actual tactics, you would have one boring game.

In real combat, try to run and gun see how that works for ya

In real combat you halo jump, you die

In real combat, you don't quick scope what a joke and a disgrace to the craft

In real combat the only lag you have is when critical decisions from higher up needs to be made while casualties are inflicted. Pure stupdity.

In real combat, you move as a team with an objective or mission and you sure as hell don't worry about k/d. Those who did either got wounded, dead or got someone around them that way

In real combat, you nube toob necessarily you have answers as to why you was doing it.

In real combat you ambush aka camp

In real combat you don't reapawn.

This is a game. If it was anywhere near real it would be pretty damn boring until the $h1t hit the fan. There is two ends of the spectrum here. Realistic and Unrealistic. This game is not even near the middle. It is on the totally unrealistic end of the spectrum.

Why do I play it? Because I was in real combat twenty years ago and still paying for what happened today.

For anyone to equate this game to real combat, the real military, or overseas service in my opinion is have a problem distinguishing reality from fantasy.

Please tell me you was never a nube or a random like all you "PROS" never was. A lot of you act like you came out of the womb with a game controller.

Ok, my k/d is .61 so what? I suck at this game, so what? the key word is game.

I thank you for your service but please don't try to equate any part of this game with the real world

limonaid

It IS a game. Which is why gamers tend to through caution out of the window and then they complain why certain dudes have high K/D... it's because of what I just said. People tend to play with randoms and K/Ds happen to be pretty low when faced with tight oily machine like certain gamers who ONLY roll with a team.

Squads are more or less a well oiled machine that makes lots of scrubs in the game world rage quit.

It is not how you are trying to portray it as a REAL life war which is what lots of people usually tend to make the argument. But if you do want to have 50+ win streak... what other options are there?

I just found this observation very amusing... I never told you to take my advice to the extent that you took it. You took it beyond my intentions.

Agreed and I do apologize.

The worst thing I could of done is have real world experience and try to play this game.

Thanks again for your service.

coolwhhhip

I dont get it. Of course running with a team is more coordinated.Thats why that choice is there for you. Yet your still condescending to those who arent serious about the game or just learning, what just because they exist out there or something? It is what it is. Maybe one day they will get better, maybe not, but i cant hate on em because i WAS them for a while. Especially when you have the choice to not play with those guys. You dont like playing with randoms so you get with a team... i mean thats all right? Isnt that just all there is to it?

limonaid

I definitely did not want to sound condescending to less experienced players.

But it's the truth. You run with randoms you don't know what you're going to get. Sure, it's a challenge, if that's what you want and that's fine. I don't look down on people who want a challenge. I do that from time to time myself.

But this post was aimed at those who are looking for a murder-fest. Which I'll admit, I want more than I do a challenge. lol

It's, after all, an observation I made while playing MW3. Many of cats who are ranked 300 and below, are untouchable... unless that is... you play with your team or clan. It becomes more evenly match. 

Plus those battles are epic and deserve a spotlight on theater.

owiseguyo

I personally play with a team and play solo. My team likes to play Domination but I like to play search and destroy. So when I play search, I am almost always alone. Anyone who has played with me and I consider my skills in COD amoung the best out there. Maybe I am just not as uptight as some but I have no problem playing with randoms in search. Ya, Ill take a loss here and there because of it but I love the rush of carrying my team to a win in search(especially if the other team is good).

There are games I will not play without a team and amoung them are domination, demo, and HQ but as for everything else, I will take my chances just to have challenge. ya, winning every game is good and all, but the true great players out there are constantly trying to challenge themselves like I do. And for me, the only way to do that is to play with randoms.

And then we rushers remember that this is a video game.

It isn't about being a rusher or not that is the defining penalty it's about having a fast stable connection that penalizes me for rushing.  I paid an awful lot to have to play a game where I was allowed to compete against my peers on as technically level of a playing field as possible barring the choices and tactics of me and my opponents and not IW's failure to properly handle lag that almost every developer to make an FPS has handled succesfully in the last 20 years.

I once lost a TDM with 37 kills.  Thats ridiculous that my team couldn't pick up the rest of the kills.

lol who dependes on other people in this game??.. whenever i play with a full team we just pick our own direction and run and we usually always win i dont ever expect anybody to do anything for me.. a good player will always do good even if his teammates are garbage this games not team based, sure i lose a lot when i play with randoms but i dont give a damn i still have more kills than everybody on the other team, i really dont care if i lose i have a win percentage of 66% i dont care there is nothing to lose and there is nothing to gain i play for kicks and giggles when i see somebody on my team 2-20 i just laugh at him i dont rage i cant believe people take this game serious XD

lol you goto be fishing.Its been my experience theres 3 types of players in COD the good,the average and the ugly and anyone of these types you can meet on a regular basis  anywhere in any lobbie and any one type can be in partys or flying solo.Theres lots of good solo players out there that dont have to rely on teams to make them look good and lots of bad players hiding in full teams which make them look good and yes i have met lots of them over the years..my thoughts is all

I play random only and TDM only. If I'd join up with a squad or a group I'd have to run run and gun at some super hero speed to keep up and that's no fun for me. I can no longer wear a headset because of all the children that play and trash talk or sing. If the other team has a player that quick scopes I leave and I can and no one cares. So yes I see that if you chose to take this game seriously consider finding where the serious players play.

I just get in a party.

I refuse to talk to anyone on xbox live. 97% are dumb as paint.

This may be a silly example but. . . I run our clans tag and emblem. . . but I was in a game with a random friend that does not have the same clan tag. Joined in a lobby with 6 matching clan tags. They all changed theirs to match mine and I'm the only guy in the lobby that has it.

They had to be either 15 or retarded. I couldn't try and be as stupid as most xbl gamers if I tried. And they say pot doesn't hurt you lol.

"Never trust a green arrow". . . I want to get that phrase on a bumper sticker or something.

mickilla

I'd be more concerned with how competent my team was if the whole flow of things wasn't so much at the mercy of the spawns. You can be the best player and have the best team watching your back, and still be suddenly taken out when an enemy is spawned right behind you, or when you're spawned right into an enemy's waiting sights.